• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel to begin shooting in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
http://www.slashfilm.com/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-to-shoot-in-may/
A dozen years after the release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Weinstein Co. is getting ready to make a sequel. Though it’s been a while since we heard about any potential follow-up to Ang Lee‘s international hit, it looks like the Weinsteins have quietly been making preparations behind the scenes. Production is on track to begin in May, with a script by John Fusco (The Forbidden Kingdom). Ronny Yu (Fearless) is in talks to direct. More details after the jump.

The Weinsteins started making plans for a Crouching Tiger sequel several years ago. However, progress stalled when Sony and the Weinsteins got ensnared in a legal battle over the source material, the Crane-Iron pentalogy of books by Wang Du Lu. Now that that’s been cleared up, though, they’re moving full steam ahead.

Crouching Tiger was primarily based on the fourth installment of the series, though it also drew from some of the other novels. The sequel will be based on the fifth, titled Iron Knight, Silver Vase. The plot picks up once again with Yu Shu Lien, who was played by Michelle Yeoh in the last film. But it’ll bring in plenty of new characters as well, as Fusco explains.

While we’re on the subject of characters, it’s not clear at this point whether Yeoh or any of her Crouching Tiger co-stars will reprise their roles. We’ll know more once casting gets underway, which won’t happen until Yu’s deal is closed. Fusco says that we can expect a return from Woo-ping Yuen, who choreographed the thrilling fight scenes in the original film. Fusco and Yuen previously collaborated on Forbidden Kingdom. However — and this one’s a bummer — Lee will not be involved in the new film.

Lee’s Crouching Tiger exceeded expectations when it became a global sensation, raking in $213.5 million worldwide on a budget of just $17 million. That it’s getting a sequel isn’t really a surprise, even if it took a while. The new film could have a slightly bigger budget, but not by much; Deadline says only that it’s north of $20 million. A release date hasn’t been announced yet, but assuming everything goes according to plan we might see it in theaters by 2014.

I'm not sure what to think. Not a fan of Fusco as a screenwriter, and to be honest, I'd much rather have someone who spoke the native language of the novel instead of someone who has to rely on a translation and cultural filter. I'm actually a pretty big fan of Ronny Yu. Fearless was probably one of the best Wu Xia films in recent memory, and his American output has been above average IMO, and a lot different than most Asian director's who've made the same jump from their home country's industry to Hollywood.

I wasn't a fan of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when I first watched it, but it has since grown on me. I'm not sure if the original's success was the result of good direction, writing and a great source material, or whether the direction and good writing was able to make the source material better than it actually was. Someone who's actually read it can expand on that.

Can't say that I'm hopeful about the project though. It seems a bit forced, and while I'm a fan of Yu, Fusco's been middling to bad for the duration of his career.

Yeoh or no sale.

bdePpA6.jpg

Or get the girl from Shanghai Knights

Without Ang Lee I don't think I will watch this. I've seen Crouching Tiger so many times throughout the years just because every time it's on tv I have to watch it, for a while it was one of my favorite movies and I think there's something about the movie I've always found really affecting for some reason, but I don't have much faith in a sequel.

shuri

Banned
I never got the hype for this movie. To me, it felt like a very overproduced but typical wuxia like all the other ones..

DrSlek

i like those movies with ridicolous wire-fights. hero <3

Hero was advertised in a really weird way here. In such a way that made me not want to see it at all. Heavy metal soundtrack for all the adverts, only showing the fights, deep voiced narrator who made sure you know that Jet Li was the star.

walei

Wait I thought the first movie was technically a Taiwanese production, so the sequel is now handled by Hollywood?

Has that ever happened before? (Not remakes but...takeover?)

Also, Do Not Want!

tino

Banned
That's retarded

Why don't they make sequels for The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love while they are at it.

see5harp

No Ang Lee? New scriptwriter? If you actually can speak mandarin the entire movie was almost written as poetry. This would certainly diminish the first movie.

harSon

Banned
That's retarded

Why don't they make sequels for The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love while they are at it.

Well, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an adaptation of the 4th novel of a Pentalogy, so that's not exactly an apt comparison.

tino

Banned
Well, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an adaptation of the 4th novel of a Pentalogy, so that's not exactly an apt comparison.

It doesn't matter. Its not based on a famous WuXia novel. No Chinese has ever read it. Who cares about the book the sequel is not even being made by Chinese.

Akira

I loved CTHD and I was following the development of the sequel back in 2001. It unfortunately it didn't happen then, but it was a good thing that we got Hero and a series of other high fantasy wuxia films after CTHD. I'm not optimistic this will turn out good however.

harSon

Banned
It doesn't matter. Its not based on a famous WuXia novel. No Chinese has ever read it. Who cares about the book the sequel is not even being made by Chinese.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was an American-Chinese-Hong Kong-Taiwanese co-production and the screenplay was co-written by a screenwriter out of Detroit, Michigan. The director is Taiwanese, which was the case for the original, and it's still probably going to be a foreign language film with a Chinese cast from what I can tell. And I'm not sure how it being a famous Wu Xia novel is relevant. It's not like they're pulling the story out of their ass, seeing as the sequel will be based on the 5th novel of the Pentalogy, and sure it's only being made because the original film was successful, but that's true of all sequels.

tino

Banned
CTHD is 95% an Ang Lee movie. Without Ang Lee, thats no point.

Zero.

This movie will be worse than Showgirls 2: Penny From Heaven. Mark my words.

Also, how does a white guy write a Chinese lanuage movie, humor me. CTHD's writing credit has 3 Chinese speakers and one non-Chinese speaker (probably worked on story board or whatever).

Qvoth

i have never heard of wang du lu and his crane iron series
and i've read all of jin yong's work (except lu ding ji)
anybody read that series? were they good?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So, Hollywood production, Ang Lee not involved, white guy who likes horses to an uncomfortable degree on the screenplay.

Tiger III: The Domination

duckroll

Ronny Yu eh? I guess the expectation should be that it's going to be more of an action movie, and it's going to cash in on the "Crouching Tiger" name by adapting from the same source material series. Without Ang Lee, there's really no point calling it a Crouching Tiger sequel other than the technicality that it kinda is. The meaning that has to most people is completely lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom