• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Skifi28

Happened to TLOU 2

I don't think so. Pretty sure they just weren't allowed to show footage from the second part of the game for obvious spoiler related reasons. At least the IGN review doesn't say anything about footage provided by Sony. This seems more like a "please don't show the bugs" reason.

Ivory Blood

:messenger_relieved:

The fact that Cyberpunk 2077 is able to have deep, affecting moments alongside lighthearted goofs and blaring ads for things like “MILFguard” (itself an Easter egg pun on The Witcher’s Nilfgaard, though sex and nudity are an almost mundane part of Night City) without any of it feeling out of place is a testament to the strength of both its stories and the world they take place in.

That's all I needed to hear, really.

PotatoBoy

Calls it the best game he has ever played

This guy basically goes from "most freedom and most mind blowing gameplay eva!!" to "wowww you can choose to shoot or sneak!" without missing a beat.

Here we go scapegoating underwhelming review scores with the high expectations by putting the blame on "muh sjw's" rather than maybe the game actually is not the second coming of christ.

So predictable

Let me know when it's not retards screeching about how they wanted trans representation but not THAT trans representation in a dystopian fucking cyberpunk game.

So far the only valid criticism seems to be bugs, which happen in every open world game, and will be patched.

Karunamon

And yet we are sitting around a 90 aggregate, kind of wild.

I think gamers have become more tolerant of buggy releases over the years. It's not like the pre-internet console days where you had one shot to get your game out there, so the bugs were usually minimal.

Hell, look at almost anything Bethesda puts out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No talk about performance? Really??

PC Gamer does mention what they got, briefly:

With an RTX 2080, i9-9900K, and installed on a SATA SSD, with DLSS enabled on Quality mode on the High graphics preset (no ray-tracing), I maintain a variable 60-80 fps at 2560x1440, dipping lowest when driving through particularly reflection-heavy parts of town. With DLSS off, the frame window drops to 40-50 fps. Ray-tracing options are particularly resource intensive, so I just kept them off. The framerate hit wasn't worth the fancy lighting, nice as it looks on a rainy day or in a neon-lit club especially. Someday. Either way, a newer card will go a long way in Cyberpunk 2077, though players still hanging in at 1080p should do fine with older hardware.

THEAP99

Banned
Let me know when it's not retards screeching about how they wanted trans representation but not THAT trans representation in a dystopian fucking cyberpunk game.

So far the only valid criticism seems to be bugs, which happen in every open world game, and will be patched.
And the fact that it is another typical open world game

Skifi28

I dont get it, you are a god dam reviewer, you know it wil get patched out just like the witcher. Why weigh it in your review? when I read the ign conclusion it sounds like a 10 but they gave it a 9

Because people are buying the game now, not in 6 months. Much like early access, a product should be reviewd for what's there, not what might be at some point in time.

The story? Choices? Lack of verticality? Are people just going to ignore those? Apparently so.

Kuranghi

https://imgsli.com/MzIzMDg from PC Games Hardware

Holy moly, even without looking for RT Reflections, the difference with RTX is staggering. Everything looks much more grounded and believable.

Plus the RTX version has more man-babies, with is a positive.

I agree but I think its down to the RTX off images having no ambient occlusion/global illumination. I wonder why that is, it looks like shit imo.

Last edited:
Was expecting this game to be buggy after all the delays. I've got my pre-order but won't be playing it for a month or so, hopefully there are a couple patches by then to smooth out the game a bit more.

Shifty1897

Nice, I have no doubt the team will be cleaning up the game for a year to come, but if the game in 1.0 has a solid foundation, they've nailed their target. Looking forward to playing it Christmas day.

graywolf323

WaPo games reporter:

this quote is just

Gene Park said:
And for years, trans activists have shone a light on why its depiction and seemingly willful ignorance on gender can create damage for a marginalized community, even within the game’s context of capitalism objectifying humanity for gain. In its narrative, CDPR chose adherence to a known and problematic formula over upending the cyberpunk genre. This might be an insurmountable hurdle for some — and understandably so.

upend? basically showing they don't understand cyberpunk especially since Pondsmith himself was involved

kretos

Banned
Just ban all Cyberpunk threads and from now on if X game affects X minority group, said minority group should have veto power on everything related to that game here (general discussion, OT, review thread, etc) or even put them in charge of the OT if they want to.

The Witcher 3 was a game with a women problem that proudly boasted racism as a selling point in one of its trailers. Cyberpunk is par for the course for CDPR.

So no only is there transphobia in cyberpunk there's also blatant mysogony too lol.

the witcher series featured
  • zero (0) characters of colour in the base game, unless you count a brown-skinned succubus :))))
  • one (1) crossdressing/gender nonconforming character who was treated like a joke with Geralt making funny shocked faces
  • two (2) gay characters, one of who was a minor character with a tragic bury your gays story and the other whose gayness was completely optional
  • god knows how many sexualised women written in an extremely misogynistic way and an entire abuse apologism questline
like.......... i do like tw3 but none of this is new or shocking :/

SpectacularSadAddax-size_restricted.gif

QuestionableFocusedEarwig-size_restricted.gif

The funny thing is, these odd 7/10 or 70 scores are the only thing bringing the entire score down. 2-3 reviewers using their review as a soapbox to talk about representation in the game or how they designed bad character to use and that hurt them throughout the entire game.

Ulysses 31

from the ign review: ''It’s a shame that frustratingly frequent bugs can occasionally kill an otherwise well-set mood, ''
I dont get it, you are a god dam reviewer, you know it wil get patched out just like the witcher. Why weigh it in your review? when I read the ign conclusion it sounds like a 10 but they gave it a 9
You review what you got, not what it might be in the future.

Dampf

I agree but I think its down to the RTX off images having no ambient occlusion/global illumination. I wonder why that is, it looks like shit imo.
It has AO and GI, and a very well one at that. It's just hard to have perfect lighting in a full open world title using pre-baked light maps and that is where Raytracing excels.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

It's not much that but more so the credibility, or in this case the lack thereof, of the reviewer in question. If someone spends their career either nitpicking over the dumbest shit like too much water or allowing their political views cloud what should be an overall impartial journalistic look at a product, then I'm going to take their opinion on said product with a grain of salt.
I mean... Have you seen the polygon review? God dam, it talks 90% about trans shit and then give it a low score..

As someone who posts also on Resetera, it's absolutely fucking absurd their handling of their allowing people to talk about this game, and I'm pro-trans broadly in my politics

Beyond parody, childish and screamingly obtuse to the point I'm considering coming back here full-time

Dynasty8

I've already seen some reviewers bring the game down due to "transphobia". Reading the review made it clear that those "reviewers" went into the game with an agenda in mind.

The bugs and glitches on the other hand, those are legitimate cons and should be addressed if the game is launching like that. But hopefully most of these issues can be fixed soon.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As someone who posts also on Resetera, it's absolutely fucking absurd their handling of their allowing people to talk about this game, and I'm pro-trans broadly in my politics

Beyond parody, childish and screamingly obtuse to the point I'm considering coming back here full-time

Try posting that opinion there and seeing what happens to your account. Should give you the answer on whether you bother continuing to post.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
https://imgsli.com/MzIzMDg from PC Games Hardware

Holy moly, even without looking for RT Reflections, the difference with RTX is staggering. Everything looks much more grounded and believable.

This looks odd. You should not be loosing ambient occlusion and bloom with raytracing off. I have a feeling they may screwed something. Neither screenshot looks that good compared to all the videos we've seen.

Freeman76

That place is a fucking cesspit of insanity.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Coming back to GAF is akin to dropping social media.
You will find yourself happier and you can once again focus on enjoying things you love without being put through a guilt trip for it.

Mhmmm 2077

Sadly, scores are lowered because of bugs, which will get ironed out within weeks, but the reviews won't get updated when that happens.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The funny thing is, these odd 7/10 or 70 scores are the only thing bringing the entire score down. 2-3 reviewers using their review as a soapbox to talk about representation in the game or how they designed bad character to use and that hurt them throughout the entire game.

No matter how they try to push their bullshit agenda, the game will sell and just like W3 CDPR will work on fixes and support the game for years.

Hugare

I don't think so. Pretty sure they just weren't allowed to show footage from the second part of the game for obvious spoiler related reasons. At least the IGN review doesn't say anything about footage provided by Sony. This seems more like a "please don't show the bugs" reason.
Cant remember where it was informed that the footage was provided by Sony, since I've watched pretty much every TLOU 2 review in existence. But yeah, they could use only the footage provided to them, I'm certain.

Watch TLOU 2 reviews that were released before launch date and you will see the same segments over and over again

I agree that Sony and CDPR motives were probably different, but all I'm saying is that this is not the first time.

Madflavor

All I keep hearing about from review after review is how incredibly buggy the game is, yet right now after 36 reviews it's sitting at a 91. despite my annoyance with the bogs, that's actually a pretty good sign. It's probably safe to say that if the game was well polished it probably be in the mid-90s.

Armorian

Banned

It's worse than usual? Holy shit

GymWolf

Gold Member

So glad that i can't even notice the difference in that slider comparison, i'm gonna disable every rtx stuff in the hope of running this thing at 1440p60 with my rig...

Top Bottom