• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYGNI: All Guns Blazing | Review Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
N3ceNS8.png

Game Information

Game Title: CYGNI: All Guns Blazing

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 6, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 6, 2024)
  • PC (Aug 6, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: KeelWorks

Publisher: KONAMI

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 78 average - 89% recommended

xf2zMfP.png

Metacritic - 71 average based on 19 Critic Reviews

8iHPQOC.png

Critic Reviews

GAMES.CH - Olaf Bleich - German - 70%
Unfortunately, "Cygni" didn't really convince us. Yes, the game looks incredibly good and conjures up a real fireworks display on the screen. And yes, the snappy bullet hell battles are fun. Nevertheless, we felt that the spark of genius that is necessary for a game of this genre was missing. The balance between the difficulty levels isn't really right. The pacing within the missions isn't right for our taste either: "Cygni" keeps us stuck at certain points too often, and far too often these snapshots drag on too much. Then the action game is almost boring despite all its qualities. And the upgrade system and its options could also be more intuitive. All in all, "Cygni: All Guns Blazing" turns out to be a solid action game with some clever approaches and a first-class presentation. However, it is nowhere near as good as classics like "Gradius" and the like.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8 / 10
CYGNI: All Guns Blazing is an assault on the senses in the best way possible, with thrilling combat and some gorgeous visuals.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 80 / 100
If you're not into shmups, or you're curious about the genre, you're going to find things you're going to like at CYGNI. Its gameplay is addictive, its staging impeccable (despite the occasional slowdowns) and if you're going to get stung by the rankings and scores, here you have to be hooked for a long time, despite being a "short" game.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 8 / 10
If already in the preview the feelings in front of Cygni: All Guns Blazing had been positive, the long-distance review confirms how well the small KeelWorks team did with this spectacular and intense mix of shoot'em-up, bullet-hell and twin-stick-shooter.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 8 / 10
CYGNI: All Guns Blazing is a spectacular shoot'em up, fun and with a unique twist to the typical gameplay of the genre.

PC Gamer - Justin Wagner - 81 / 100
Cygni: All Guns Blazing is a rollicking bullet hell-inspired blockbuster that never lets off the gas.

Push Square - Sammy Barker - 7 / 10
If you’ve been looking for a more modern take on Touhou, Radiant Silvergun, or any of the many other bullet hell shooters on the market, CYGNI: All Guns Blazing ticks the box. It’s fast, it’s frantic, and it looks frankly unbelievable at times. And considering it’s being flogged at half the price of most other modern PS5 titles, it represents relatively reasonable value for money, too.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 7.6 / 10
CYGNI may not be the new "benchmark in shoot 'em ups", but it's still a fun game with a great passion for a genre that has almost become a niche one.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 8.5 / 10
CYGNI: All Guns Blazing aims to be a vertical-scrolling shoot'em up tied to the old traditions of the genre, taking advantage of what hardware has made possible over the last four decades. It has hit the mark, including everything that is to be expected in works of this type, without wanting to add anything else. The result is the closest thing to a coin-op we could find in a parallel universe in which arcades have not known oblivion. Fast-paced, colorful, pyrotechnic, punishing, and capable of making everyone realize that shmups can still provide a lot of fun.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Looks very interesting to me.

Mechanics seems to make an interesting combat system. Love the visuals also. Might give it a try later in the year.

anthony2690

I am so tempted to pick this up, but at the same time, I might just wait for my birthday, as when it rolls rounds everyone usually asks my other half what I want, who then proceeds to ask me what I want :')

Last edited:
Top Bottom