• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk is no more

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
daft punk GIF
Ton of hits and respect they’ll be back.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I always wanted to see them live, guess that won't happen anymore.

They hadn't played a public show since 2007. They didn't tour RAM whatsoever. Even if they released a new album, you probably weren't going to see them anyway, that ship has long sailed.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'll never forgive them for raping my ears with "Get Lucky" for months. That fucking song was everywhere and annoyed me to no end so good riddance. Fuck off robots.

Don't take this seriously

“Get Lucky” is definitely up there with “Uptown Funk” where you couldn’t avoid the song if you tried.

Either “Around the World” or “Derezzed” are my favorite songs by Daft Punk and I never really liked their “disco” type stuff either.

Null Persp

That's sad, and now there is no chance for an eventual Tron sequel soundtrack.

This song and the music video was everywhere at the time.

SirTerry-T

That's sad, and now there is no chance for an eventual Tron sequel soundtrack.

This song and the music video was everywhere at the time.

Beaten to the Oscars by Trent Reznor's noise-fest for The Social Network...not that it's that important but it still pisses me off! :)

Ixion

Damn. One of my favorite electronic artists, and they're one of those groups that I grew up with and have been there for for as long as I've been into music. This one definitely hits me. I have 10 of my favorite albums as posters on my wall, and this is one of them:

f3acab91e4bf5aa7aa71d4bad909786e_f205cceb0842096783a34836727bce02.jpg

Back to the grid they go

MilkLizard

“Get Lucky” is definitely up there with “Uptown Funk” where you couldn’t avoid the song if you tried.

Either “Around the World” or “Derezzed” are my favorite songs by Daft Punk and I never really liked their “disco” type stuff either.

Yeah, 1000% agree. Alive is a great live album and the Tron soundtrack was dope too so there's that.

Pakoe

They hadn't played a public show since 2007. They didn't tour RAM whatsoever. Even if they released a new album, you probably weren't going to see them anyway, that ship has long sailed.
A man can dream :(.

• Empathy
Reactions: AV

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah, 1000% agree. Alive is a great live album and the Tron soundtrack was dope too so there's that.

Been listening to Daft Punk all morning now and my opinion is solidifying more than anything.

The drastic genre shift from Homework to Discovery is reminiscent of Tiesto genre shifting half way through the 00s. Now I'm probably the only person in the entire world that was disappointed with the direction they took their sound.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
They were pretty much broken up since they started. The only time they were "active" was when they were creating studio albums, short touring in the 90's/seldom in the 2000's, and making guest appearances with modern pop artists. Check out those massive gaps they had between each studio album and how few albums they produced. An average working group, soloist, or band will release anywhere from 7-12 over a period of 3 decades. Daft had like 4 studio albums and 2 live albums from 93'-2012? They had high production values but didn't seem too big into being a group or added publicity from their start. Seems kinda dumb that they'd announce a break-up when they've always been on hiatus. Odds are this was an announcement either made for publicity or for them to re-launch as something new in the next year or 10.

QSD

I remember when I was 16/17 going to the cd shop in my hometown of bumfuck, the netherlands, and ordering "Homework" after a rave review in a newspaper. Next week when they got it in the shop owner looked at me real weird and said 'IDK what this CD is you ordered, one track sounds like Chiq and the next one sounds like Johnny "Guitar" Watson... This will never catch on'

Unfortunately the last CD was a major snoozefest, everything that I liked about them was replaced with some obsession with recording lame 70ies stuff live.

Last edited:

T8SC

:messenger_pensive:

One More Time for an Around The World tour? Then come back Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger than before. Lets hope we can Get Lucky.

Top Bottom