• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk is no more

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I wonder when/if we'll ever learn why Daft Punk decided to do this now. Neither of them has given very many interviews in the past.

I think it might be it’s Guy-Manuel" de Homem-Christo that retired and Bangalter will continue since he never seems to stop, and has done way more side-stuff (solo albums, sountracks etc.).

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
^^ Get a load of this guy. Imagine being this upset about a music group ending their carreer.

As for Daft Punk: A shame, certainly. Around The World and One More Time remain classic dance hits on any party.

Ionian

Finally

Such terrible music

Edit: Some of the cuts on the Tron Legacy soundtrack are ok

Still a shit group

LOL, "Some of the cuts on ... ". Imagine saying that unironically for any band or album like Daft Punk.

I've already listed ones I didn't like, can you with examples?

Genuinely curious, honestly.

EDIT: Never mind, saw the threads you look at, which are all beeps and boops as well, you just couldn't bop to these robots.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
LOL, "Some of the cuts on ... ". Imagine saying that unironically for any band or album like Daft Punk.

I've already listed ones I didn't like, can you with examples?

Genuinely curious, honestly.

EDIT: Never mind, saw the threads you look at, which are all beeps and boops as well, you just couldn't bop to these robots.

Each to their own.

Uh oh stalking my white ass out already. Big yikes fam.

That song is aight

Ionian

No they disband the week after.

Justice really were something at the start, nothing getting on the bike to head to work and simply hitting play when 'Cross' came out. Pure adrenaline.

Later ones had some good stuff they never seemed to move on though. More show than anything the last time I bothered.

Ionian

Uh oh stalking my white ass out already. Big yikes fam.

That song is aight

Stalking? You'd be lucky, just had a look at your username as I didn't recognise you.

You think all their music is shit and beeps and boops but think one 'Tron - Legacy' track is alright.

This is truly next level logic. lol.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Justice really were something at the start, nothing getting on the bike to head to work and simply hitting play when 'Cross' came out. Pure adrenaline.

Later ones had some good stuff they never seemed to move on though. More show than anything the last time I bothered.
In the early years I think Justice sounds like Daft Punk as much as Greta Van Fleet does to Led Zeppelin. And both of them strayed from the sound later on....maybe for the better maybe not.

QSD

It's kind of difficult for younger people to understand the influence of these guys, their whole way of producing house tracks and the way they used compressors was revolutionary and set the benchmark for modern day EDM. Their career path is actually quite weird though, retrospectively. Homework was very much an exercise in minimalism, a sort of distillation and abstraction of disco, funk and rock in equal measure.
This video actually illustrates it quite well

Discovery is much more of an ELO type prog rock opera for the house generation. The minimalism and edginess was traded in for a more poppy sound, although still futuristic. Human after all I never connected with. Random Access Memories is like a complete antithesis of Homework, instead of using their electronic skills they went almost completely for a kind of "natural" disco sound which was very disappointing to me, and kind of difficult to understand.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Legends Of The Game
daftpunkkanyewest060613.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
Discovery was the first CD I ever bought. I fucking burned that thing to the ground.

I think the only 2 albums I really heard of them are Discovery and RAM, the other albums I just listened to a few songs and that's it.

As a guitar aficionado, I always loved Aerodynamic.

When Human After All came out there was a lot of bad reactions to it. But watching the “Robot Rock” video solidifies that they were still killing it even then.

Ixion

When Human After All came out there was a lot of bad reactions to it. But watching the “Robot Rock” video solidifies that they were still killing it even then.

It's a damn solid album, but it's the only album of theirs where I think it could have been better. Luckily, they did exactly that with Alive 2007 a couple years later, which takes most of those songs to the next level via more live variations and mashups.

All in all I would say it's their two live albums that are the best, which a lot of people might not know.

Live 1997 takes some of the best songs from Homework and turns it into a continuous, building, 45-minute set with more noise elements, effects, and variation that adds even more energy and momentum. So if you like Homework, well this is even better. Great to just throw on and get high to (which a friend and I did last weekend in honor of these guys).

Live 2007 takes the songs from their first three albums and mashes them together in great ways, once again with more live energy and momentum, but more in a technical/mashup sense compared to Live 1997. This is often considered their magnum opus. And here is a visualization video did by a fan that is absolutely nuts. Great way to experience it (besides just watching the actual live videos).

Last edited:

fvng

the fact that Discovery was initially bashed by critics and then they all reversed their opinion over time is why I don't take music journalists seriously and why their initial opinions on Human After All are meaningless as well.

Pitchfork gave Discovery a 6 and years later named it the third best album of THE DECADE

Last edited:
Wow did not realize P4K gave Discovery a 6.

Guess LCD Soundsystem and all the name drops from electroclash bands showed them the light.

fatty

I really need to listen to more of the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

I was introduced to their remix Tron stuff before the main soundtrack and really like it.

fvng

Wow did not realize P4K gave Discovery a 6.

Guess LCD Soundsystem and all the name drops from electroclash bands showed them the light.

The author of that review tweeted years later that it was his only review he felt was indefensible. At least they made up for it later but for the most part because they are pretentious snobs I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Cyberpunkd

I can only imagine people (and French president Macron, since allegedly he really likes the band) going mental when during Olympics 2024 this shows on the huge screen:

Paris 1900
Paris 1924
Paris 2024 + ‘ One More Time’ starts playing

Trying to convince myself I do not need Discovery 1st press for approx 250€ it’s going for nowadays.

Last edited:

MachRc

^thats some great insight on the french president and the olympics.
like something one would think about driving home stoned out of thier mind.

DAFT PUNK + MACRON + OLYMPICS
1900+1924+2024 EQUALS
ONE MORE TIME [ BRAIN GOES KABo0m]

Last edited:

Ionian

I remember when I was 16/17 going to the cd shop in my hometown of bumfuck, the netherlands, and ordering "Homework" after a rave review in a newspaper. Next week when they got it in the shop owner looked at me real weird and said 'IDK what this CD is you ordered, one track sounds like Chiq and the next one sounds like Johnny "Guitar" Watson... This will never catch on'

Unfortunately the last CD was a major snoozefest, everything that I liked about them was replaced with some obsession with recording lame 70ies stuff live.
I loved the last one, can understand why it's unliked.

Didn't like 'Homework at all apart from 'around the world. The rest sounded like nonsene to me but was massively popular so I really missed what it was about.

Disovery as spectacular, same as the last album. Just amazing music, not just sampled crap like 'Homework'.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I listen to their albums all the time and liked every one except for the remix album.

Discovery is probably my favorite with Tron and RAM tied second.

QSD

I loved the last one, can understand why it's unliked.

Didn't like 'Homework at all apart from 'around the world. The rest sounded like nonsene to me but was massively popular so I really missed what it was about.

Disovery as spectacular, same as the last album. Just amazing music, not just sampled crap like 'Homework'.
It's just so boring and MOR, it doesn't actually sound like electronic music anymore. Homework was fresh, unique and had a pretty minimal streak.

Top Bottom