• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd on Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire making over $200M: ‘ Sony wants to do more of them’

ManaByte

All the cast is great, and (Frozen Empire) has been a great success. Sony wants to do more of them. Of course, all of these cost too much, and everybody knows that, and if you can do them for a price, they can go on for a long time

Its apparently been doing well on Netflix too.

Power Pro

It was mediocre. Watchable but not memorable.
that's kinda how i felt. It was not hate worthy, but it was definitely cringe worthy in spots. I thought the plot had potential, but it wasn't executed well. It was nice to see one of the original Ghostbusters be part of the plot, and not just a cameo. Dan Aykroyd's part in the story was probably my favorite part of the movie. The girl part were the worst, and sadly the majority.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I mentioned it before... They had their chance to make the sequel in the 90s or 00s... Time got the better of the franchise... And without the entire cast, it's useless.

Ghostbusters' true value is having the original casting... Without them, the franchise is finished.

And I dislike the new characters.

Doom85

Definitely need to lower the cast size, as a bigger cast but a shorter runtime than Afterlife made for no one’s story standing out. The assistant (I don’t remember his name, he had glasses IIRC) could have been cut. Patton Oswalt definitely could have been cut, like why not just have Ray and the kids go to the library to get a book to get the info. If they couldn’t think of anything for the brother to do other than Slimer shenanigans then he should have been “off in college” (and if he wasn’t in it, Lucky doesn’t need to either, so just have Winston in her role). Keep Nadeem and Melody as they are actually plot relevant and the former is pretty funny.

Also, I know the “purists” will hate me for this, but it’s so tired to have ANOTHER Ghostbusters in NYC. After a fresh new setting with Afterlife, it just felt so repetitive at this point to have all the same locales yet again. Like, yes, movie, I remember the headquarters. Yes, I remember the library. Yes, I remember the bookstore. The cast tried their best, but there being way too many characters, so much being too familiar, plus the villain looking like a discount Dark Souls boss, yeah just not a good movie IMHO especially after Afterlife which is the only Ghostbusters besides 1 that I love. Like, I’m critical of 2 and 2016, but I honestly think I’d rather watch either of them than Frozen Empire, at least those two had time for most of their characters while Frozen Empire is constantly hitting the fast forward button because we can’t spend too long with any one or two characters as we have fourteen more who need to pop back up (the worst being when Phoebe and Ray are discussing the possibility they would become ghosts someday when they pass away someday, you could see the potential of a great scene...and it’s interrupted as there’s no time to breathe in this film).

freefornow

Doubt it. Barely broke even (yes i kinow $100m production budget, but add marketing and the low % of profit return from some international markets)

Edit: Theatrical run $160M WW. So all the streaming/vod deals netted $40M. Meh

Last edited:

ManaByte

DKehoe

That movie was so bad I couldn't finish it.

7rIlQqp.png

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Definitely need to lower the cast size, as a bigger cast but a shorter runtime than Afterlife made for no one’s story standing out. The assistant (I don’t remember his name, he had glasses IIRC) could have been cut. Patton Oswalt definitely could have been cut, like why not just have Ray and the kids go to the library to get a book to get the info. If they couldn’t think of anything for the brother to do other than Slimer shenanigans then he should have been “off in college” (and if he wasn’t in it, Lucky doesn’t need to either, so just have Winston in her role). Keep Nadeem and Melody as they are actually plot relevant and the former is pretty funny.

Also, I know the “purists” will hate me for this, but it’s so tired to have ANOTHER Ghostbusters in NYC. After a fresh new setting with Afterlife, it just felt so repetitive at this point to have all the same locales yet again. Like, yes, movie, I remember the headquarters. Yes, I remember the library. Yes, I remember the bookstore. The cast tried their best, but there being way too many characters, so much being too familiar, plus the villain looking like a discount Dark Souls boss, yeah just not a good movie IMHO especially after Afterlife which is the only Ghostbusters besides 1 that I love. Like, I’m critical of 2 and 2016, but I honestly think I’d rather watch either of them than Frozen Empire, at least those two had time for most of their characters while Frozen Empire is constantly hitting the fast forward button because we can’t spend too long with any one or two characters as we have fourteen more who need to pop back up (the worst being when Phoebe and Ray are discussing the possibility they would become ghosts someday when they pass away someday, you could see the potential of a great scene...and it’s interrupted as there’s no time to breathe in this film).
Agree with lots of this, the cast is WAYYYYY too big with so many characters that don't really serve a purpose. 100% didn't need James Acaster (glasses assistant) or Patton Oswalt. Or Stranger Things, or Stranger Things' girlfriend who evidently had all her scenes cut but had to be included a couple of times or it'd be weird when she appeared at the end. Why bring back Janine? Love having Bill Murray around, but he's not really in it, do it or don't.

Why no action?! So many characters.

Also, MASSIVE SHOWDOWN - 2 groups of people one holding a handle one holding a proton pack. All that build up for nothing.

Elsewhere - Ghost Girl, good. Opening scene with ice, good. Firekeeper great. Ray in the shop, great. Opening scene in NY streets, OK.

There's probably a great version of that script, but it's just bogged down and bloated with a load of stuff which is, unfortunately, boring.

They should do one about the return of Vigo. (like another painting is found that he retreated to) and have old janoz poha be rays assistant in the book store and slowly get possessed

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I still need to see this, maybe watch it with my kiddo on streaming, but anyone saying it’s better than GB2 is probably on crack. GB2 doesn’t reach the heights of the original, which is a masterpiece, but it has so many understated funny moments throughout…it’s criminally underrated

But if it’s in the ballpark then, this should be fun.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, if Akeryod can get a BJ from a ghost then I guess it's time for Venkmans daughter to get some head from a ghost as well, EQUALITY!!! :p

The two latest movies are the definition of enjoying them while you’re watching them and by the next week you can’t remember a single thing about them. Enjoyable in the moment but totally forgettable like most big budget Hollywood movies made in the last decade.

The last two ghostbuster movies were inoffensive, but forgettable. I don't plan to rewatch them at all. At least 2016 will be remembered for the cringe.

It was entertaining and nostalgic, because I grew up with the originals, but the end was astronomically anti-climactic. The ghost girl was also obnoxious.

I'll add this to my list of things to watch right next to Dragon Ball Evolution.
That atrocity is not even in the same ballpark. DBE is the worst thing in the history of worst things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom