• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Messiah of M&M singleplayer demo released

winalot

Awesomeness, I forgot about this. Having trouble getting a link at the moment, guess I'll have to wait in a FP queue :( 1.4gb too, yeesh.

siege

Banned
Huge demo for just a tutorial and one part of the first level. Gonna take a hour on my connection. :(

siege

Banned
Still downloading here, but I've read from a few people who have finished the demo saying it's the area from the class movies they released recently. It's also really short. :(

System Requirements

Supported OS: Windows® XP
Processor: AMD Athlon™, Pentium® 2.2 GHz (3 GHz recommended)
RAM: 512 MB (1 GB recommended)
Video Card: 128 MB DirectX® 9-compatible video card (256MB recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9 or higher
Hard Drive Space: 3 GB free
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible mouse and keyboard
Supported Video Cards:
NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX/6/7 families
ATI® Radeon™ 9/X families

Quite a bit higher than HL2's reqs.

teiresias

If the demo is this large they'd better be releasing this game on DVD as a STANDARD. No more of this 10 CD BS to appease the people trying to play the game on a Dell from two years ago with no DVD ROM drive.

Chris_C

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm pretty confident it's hitting next-gen consoles thanks to Valve's work with the console version of Source.

I really hope so, because I seem to be in the minority in thinking Dead Rising is at best a rental and that N3 and Chromehounds are complete snoozefests... no fall games for me :(

Pimpbaa

Thaedolus said:
I thought this was a Source game, which would make it available via Steam?

A game using source does not have to be on steam (vampire the masquerade bloodlines wasn't on steam). And a game doesn't have to use source in order to be on steam.

Xdrive05

Just got through playing it. Graphics are definitely better than Oblivion, while the art is hit and miss. It also runs better, which shouldn't be a suprise considerring how this game is broken up into levels. The fighting mechanics are pretty cool. Just like any of the videos they've shown so far. The voice acting is pretty embarrassing though, to me. It sounds like a cheesy Saturday morning fantasy cartoon, at least the way the "mentor" figure talks. I didn't beat the demo, but I fooled around for about a half hour, so it's not too terribly short, but probably isn't as long as the Prey demo either.

The controls feel a little loose and spotty, but they work well enough for me. I'm running fine on an overclocked Athlon XP with a gig of RAM and an overclocked 6800GT. Highest settings, 1280x1024 but no AA yet. The biggest environments gets me some lower framerates, but still generally better than Oblivion, and plenty for the gameplay speed (this isn't counterstrike afterall). But it does feel enough like Oblivion to have to fight to urge to call it a "cash-in" or something.

The mechanics can use some work yet, but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it.

shpankey

not an idiot
wow, demo was extremely short for such a huge download. was fun though and has definitely made it on my "future games to get" list now.

Xdrive05

They end the demo at the worst possible place:
right before you're supposed to fight the big cyclopse.

You'd think that for downloading their operating system sized demo they'd at least let you do that.

:mad:

Tieno

Xdrive05 said:
Just got through playing it. Graphics are definitely better than Oblivion, while the art is hit and miss. It also runs better, which shouldn't be a suprise considerring how this game is broken up into levels. The fighting mechanics are pretty cool. Just like any of the videos they've shown so far. The voice acting is pretty embarrassing though, to me. It sounds like a cheesy Saturday morning fantasy cartoon, at least the way the "mentor" figure talks. I didn't beat the demo, but I fooled around for about a half hour, so it's not too terribly short, but probably isn't as long as the Prey demo either.

The controls feel a little loose and spotty, but they work well enough for me. I'm running fine on an overclocked Athlon XP with a gig of RAM and an overclocked 6800GT. Highest settings, 1280x1024 but no AA yet. The biggest environments gets me some lower framerates, but still generally better than Oblivion, and plenty for the gameplay speed (this isn't counterstrike afterall). But it does feel enough like Oblivion to have to fight to urge to call it a "cash-in" or something.

The mechanics can use some work yet, but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Why are you comparing this to Oblivion? Is it an open world RPG like Oblivion?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That demo was awesome. A great mix of Thief/Deus Ex with some HL2 physics interaction thrown in.

Exactly what I expected from the Arx Fatalis guys. I'm not disappointed.

quetz67

Banned
Tieno said:
probably because Oblivion is the obvious game to compare it too, and he even mentioned that this is broken into levels

Xdrive05

Tieno said:

Because it feels like Oblivion when you play it, with roughly the same key mapping and a similar "feel" to the melee combat. The melee combat in Dark Messiah is deeper and the level is designed to be exploited with it.

No, it's not an open world RPG, it's a closed level RPG. In the broader sense it's nothing like Oblivion, it doesn't have the scale. But just with the details and the "feel" it's a lot like Oblivion in places.

siege

Banned
Yeah, the game is nothing like Oblivion. The only similarity is that they both have first person melee combat.

I enjoyed the demo, but it took me all of 10 mins to complete it. My only complaint would be that I'm gonna have to upgrade my machine to play it when it's released. Had to set everything to low and it still stuttered like crazy.

winalot

A measly 86k/sec on a 6mb line :( 4 hours to go. Gutted.
I had 3 Fileplanet queues fail on me, either time out or restart, grr.

Xdrive05

winalot said:
A measly 86k/sec on a 6mb line :( 4 hours to go. Gutted.
I had 3 Fileplanet queues fail on me, either time out or restart, grr.

Go to Gamershell and try the different West Coast servers. One of them is always super fast. My download settled at 660kbps.

Xdrive05

Chris_C said:
yeah lt's see some screens running on a high end machine!

I'll hook you guys up but I'm defragging my HD right now... 33%.

I need to reformat the damned thing. :mad:

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Barzoni-Black-Jesus-Montage-Vincent-Barzoni.jpeg

of

mms_4.jpg

That said, I was so eager to download it.... but 1.4 Gig? I think I'll wait for the final version.

Munin

I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong but it feels...hectic and clunky at the same time.
The trailer made the game appear much more dynamic than Oblivion (regarding combat) but now that I've played it, it essentially boils down to Slash, block, slash, kick, cut random rope in hope for evil trap that kills enemy, repeat. It's certainly entertaining but IMHO isn't much better than what Oblivion offered. I even may go so far as to say that Oblivion felt a bit more controlled in combat, and here...it doesn't feel as good as it should. Maybe it just takes some time getting used to it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
amusing stuff. Kicking guards into oblivion, slaying them like pigs, burning corpses (yeah, everything can catch fire, even crates and baskets). Fun fun fun :D
But 1.4 gb for 20 minutes play time? Cmon Ubi, you can do it better

golem

1.4 gb is crazy... but the demo is lots of fun, cant wait for the full game

everything maxed, except for water, no-aa, 8xaf

dmm1.jpg

dmm2.jpg

dmm3.jpg

dmm4.jpg

dmm5.jpg

Top Bottom