• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I just wanted to confirm with you pros if not being able to run until completely filling my stamina after depleting my stamina is the way the game is supposed to work.

It has been causing me some grief since changing up my build.

Also, I got the three dlc crowns, but I tried fighting vendrick before unsuccessfully, and I have no giants souls. So I'm pretty much fucked, right?

Respect

CDgowNW.gif

Had not seen before, I chuckled.

I just wanted to confirm with you pros if not being able to run until completely filling my stamina after depleting my stamina is the way the game is supposed to work.

If you sprint to exhaustion, there will be a delay until you stamina bar fills completely before you can sprint again. If you don't let it get completely drain, you should be able to alternate run/sprint indefinitely.

rhandino

Banned
Also, I got the three dlc crowns, but I tried fighting vendrick before unsuccessfully, and I have no giants souls. So I'm pretty much fucked, right?
What happened to them X_x

You can use Bonfire Ascetics in the
first bonfire in Black Gulch
to farm them from
the giants that lurk below

rhandino

Banned
That was patched out of the original game, and I assume this version is the same.
From memory they did patch the part that let you farm them from
The Memory of the Giants
but you can still get them farming in
Black Gulch
... unless they patched it in the big update of February =P

EDIT: OH! They did it... =P

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Unless I'm misremembering, if your stamina bar is big enough, you don't have to wait until it's completely filled before you can sprint again. Or you can let it fill halfway or whatever, roll, and then immediately start sprinting.

elfinke

:lol. I got my GPU replaced finally and a replacement motherboard and I forgot to pay the internet bill! So no SotFS for me for two more days.

Can't wait to jump in with you dudes. Is the online still active a month later?

Yep, massively at SL120. PvP is non-stop around Iron Keep and Dragon Aerie, like always, but even lesser spots like invasions around Bell Towers, Rat Areas and even the fucking Dark Chasms seem to attract invasions.

So it's great/bad, depending on your progress!

I respecced last night (which is probably my favourite feature of DSII, though I wish Vessels were more readily available), but this time to a type of character I wouldn't normally try in a Souls game: Havel gear with a huge weapon.

I was sick of being interrupted by enemies in the various DLC areas (though so far I love the Ivory King frozen/unfrozen area), and more annoyed that my attacks would very rarely poise-break them in return. So swapping to some Havel gear and a huge club/greatsword fixed that. It's an interesting playstyle, for sure, compared to being a very nimble character!

ike_

So tonight I spent my time stabbing Suspicious Shadows and Fume Sorcerers for their wardrobes. First time I've ever had the fume sorcerer robes!

Oh man, worth.

At this point though I am convinced this game (and DS1) work on some kind of exponential decay drop rate. Each new day drops are crazy at first (with good item discovery) but very quickly become super rare.

Neoweee

Yes, it is the "out of breath" mechanic. I don't think it needs to get back to 100% full, though? Some high % at least.

rhandino

Banned
Frigid Outskirts... why...

5lnS0JZ.gif

Managed to get to the boss of the area on my 10th try, put his health very low and then... why...

5lnS0JZ.gif

ike_

Frigid Outskirts... why...

5lnS0JZ.gif

Managed to get to the boss of the area on my 10th try, put his health very low and then... why...

5lnS0JZ.gif

Haha, yep. There is that 1 boss fight from each DLC I completely ignore (repress). My only advice for this one once you know the path to the boss: go human form & summon as many NPCs as you can, and just run for it. When you get to the fog gate make sure you banish any surviving summons before you enter the fog so the boss doesn't have bonus health/defense.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How much harder is NG+ compared to say, something like Bloodborne (the only Souls NG+ I've played and completed)? Magix user.

Bloodborne isn't really different outside of the health bump, here there are more black phantoms around and black phantom enemies mixed in with others with 3x health or whatever. Also you might find more bosses as regular enemies

Kevyt

So I just got this game after beating Dark Souls I.

I find DS2 more difficult, mainly because weapons break super fast and there are hordes of enemies.

I have a question, does anyone know why the steam HUD doesn't work in game? I can't open the steam window (I'm not sure what it's called) that you normally would with Shift + Tab. I also can't see steam notifications.

This sucks because I love having the steam web browser on the background to listen to music in youtube, lol.

Am I the only one, or this happens to everyone?

Edit: I have the steam overlay option enabled in the game's properties, but it still won't come up.

gogosox82

How much harder is NG+ compared to say, something like Bloodborne (the only Souls NG+ I've played and completed)? Magix user.

Some people rave about the ng+ in ds2 but I don't. Its more or less the same experience ng was except enemies are tougher, some of the enemy placements are different (not enough to make it a totally new experience though), and some bosses drop an extra soul or a ring. If your looking for a new experience, you'll really need to start over and make a melee character b/c ng+ is going to be basically the same experience ng more or less.

So I just got this game after beating Dark Souls I.

I find DS2 more difficult, mainly because weapons break super fast and there are hordes of enemies.

I have a question, does anyone know why the steam HUD doesn't work in game? I can't open the steam window (I'm not sure what it's called) that you normally would with Shift + Tab. I also can't see steam notifications.

This sucks because I love having the steam web browser on the background to listen to music in youtube, lol.

Am I the only one, or this happens to everyone?

Edit: I have the steam overlay option enabled in the game's properties, but it still won't come up.

Overlay works fine for me. I often tab between the game and the wiki to look up weapon upgrades etc.

elfinke

311mb patch is live, includes fix for durability. It was never a problem for me and I somewhat enjoyed the challenge it presented anyway (git gud chumps
I'm kidding
), but I'll be interested to watch how it has changed now.

311mb patch is live, includes fix for durability. It was never a problem for me and I somewhat enjoyed the challenge it presented anyway (git gud chumps
I'm kidding

Anything else in the patch notes? I'm at work. I had zero problems with durability so far (LVL 40, 20 hours in, 4 bosses down). No CoC, though.

derwalde

I'm kidding

PS4 EU not up yet :/

Bl@de

Patch Notes

Attention: Dark Souls II players!

We will be pushing a version and calibrations update in the coming weeks to address a few gameplay enhancements. Please see below for a list of upcoming changes:

On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 9), Steam (DirectX 11):

Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).
Fixed issue whereby actions requiring both button and stick controller input (Jump Attack, Guard Break) were not properly registering in-game.
On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 11):

Fixed issue whereby summoning sign was displayed in Drangleic Castle and Throne of Want even though the player had defeated all bosses in the area.
Fixed issue whereby the moment of death replay for some blood stains weren’t being displayed online.
Fixed issue whereby client side may hang during the event movie for Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak.
Fixed issue whereby the Host may not be able to load their save data after stopping the game while waiting for matching to complete in online mode.
On Xbox One:

Fixed issue whereby game may quit suddenly if player pauses the system during online multiplayer.
Fixed issue whereby game may leave online multiplayer if the user pauses the system during online play then starts the game again.
Fixes issue whereby the game may hang if the user goes back and forth between different maps over and over again.
Fixed issue whereby the host may not return to normal offline play as intended when their network connection is cut off during online multiplayer.
On Steam (DirectX 9):

Fixed issue whereby, when playing online, it may appear that the player is sliding forward because the walking motion animation is not being displayed properly.
We’ll update everyone as soon as we know the exact date and time that the version and calibrations changes will occur. Thank you for your feedback and patience!

April 21, 2015

AmyS

I'm kidding

Holy shit, fucking finally ?

Going to check now.

Edit: Not yet for PS4 in NA :/

Neoweee

Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).

The wording on this makes it seem like they fixed the underlying issue, which is goddamn tremendous. Even at 30 fps, hitting corpse was worse than hitting a living enemy. This makes it sound as if that is no longer the case (i.e., not halving the loss in Scholar, but cutting it by 75%.) This is awesome if true.

Also, easy jump attacks is huge. It was clearly more difficult in Scholar than it was in Bloodborne. Definitely adds to the player's viable moveset.

It isn't "harder". You will die fewer times on NG+ than you did on NG. All of the enemy stats are higher, there are some new enemy types, and a lot more Red Phantoms (including boss fights), some new lore items here or there, some better loot, the skill you gained in the first playthrough will outpace the jump in difficulty.

Note that soul gain is only up to a factor of 2, compared to a giant jump in the Miyazaki games.

Saint9806

He basically teaches you how to roll like a mo-fo. I mean I went at him w/o a shield cause I had too shitty shield and too low stamina.

Did you... find the stuff after you beat him? This stuff you find is VERY GOOD.

Are you talking about the
Drangelic
gear. If so, I got that. It gave me a huge bump up from my current gear. More than double!
Now, I am working through Lost Bastille. I find that from the bonfire to the fog door is a chore because there is the
one door you open up with about 15-20 guys with spears on your path to the fog door.
I was thinking that I am missing a shortcut somewhere? I could be wrong though.

**Edit** I also got invaded for the first time in Lost Bastille last night. It really pissed me off cuz I had the area cleaned of enemies and I was about to proceed through the fog door to fight the boss and in comes this dude and kills me. :(

flowsnake

Drangelic
gear. If so, I got that. It gave me a huge bump up from my current gear. More than double!
Now, I am working through Lost Bastille. I find that from the bonfire to the fog door is a chore because there is the
one door you open up with about 15-20 guys with spears on your path to the fog door.

**Edit** I also got invaded for the first time in Lost Bastille last night. It really pissed me off cuz I had the area cleaned of enemies and I was about to proceed through the fog door to fight the boss and in comes thsi dude and kills me. :(

You can run past them if you go down and then climb ladder.

Drangelic

Yes! Such good stuff! And hidden! I found it way too late by pure accident.

Just kill the first two dudes in the square where the stone statue was then open the door and bolt straight ahead to the tall ladder. The guys will climb after you so just run straight right for the fog door after you've climbed it.

Hint: you can evaluate is The Lost Bastille really the place you want to go right after The Pursuer? There are other... options. In my opinion easier (including boss encounter) and they will prepare you better for The Lost Bastille's first boss. I also went to The Lost Bastille first and almost got the fucking boss down. But then I started experimenting and checking stuff in other places and discovered new possibilities :)

Saint9806

You can run past them if you go down and then climb ladder.

Thanks!

Yes! Such good stuff! And hidden! I found it way too late by pure accident.

Just kill the first two dudes in the square where the stone statue was then open the door and bolt straight ahead to the tall ladder. The guys will climb after you so just run straight right for the fog door after you've climbed it.

Hint: you can evaluate is The Lost Bastille really the place you want to go right after The Pursuer? There are other... options. In my opinion easier (including boss encounter) and they will prepare you better for The Lost Bastille's first boss. I also went to The Lost Bastille first and almost got the fucking boss down. But then I started experimenting and checking stuff in other places and discovered new possibilities :)

Awesome! Hmmm, funny you say that. I did find
No Man's Wharf.
But, I didn't even enter it except for lighting the bonfire because I thought Lost Bastille may have been easier since I discovered that area first. You just never know with the Souls games! Guess I have some new exploring to do. Thanks for the great tips!

Neoweee

Thanks!

Awesome! Hmmm, funny you say that. I did find
No Man's Wharf.
But, I didn't even enter it except for lighting the bonfire because I thought Lost Bastille may have been easier since I discovered that area first. You just never know with the Souls games! Guess I have some new exploring to do. Thanks for the great tips!

Overall, it is like Demon's Souls, with Majula being equivalent to the Nexus. There's a bunch of ways to go, but some ingenuity or items are required.

Saint9806

Overall, it is like Demon's Souls, with Majula being equivalent to the Nexus. There's a bunch of ways to go, but some ingenuity or items are required.

I think he did not play Demon's. Only Bloodborne. Is there a hub in Bloodborne?

Yea, unfortunately, I never had the chance to play Demon's Souls. I hope to get into both that and Dark Souls one day hopefully on PSN Now or a remaster. Areas in Bloodborne are inter-connected but there is no real hub there.

Respect

I wish they wouldn't have dropped world tendencies from the souls series...there is insight in BB, but I don't think that increases difficulty that much. Makes few more enemies appear and few more abilities they can perform, but not much else.

Fixed issue whereby actions requiring both button and stick controller input (Jump Attack, Guard Break) were not properly registering in-game.
On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 11):

I genuinely thought it was my controller dying. LOL.

AmyS

A patch went live for the PC version of Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin this morning, and while there are no official patch notes, it appears to be the update From Software promised a few weeks ago, which included this important change:

I’ve downloaded the patch, and can confirm it works as advertised. Despite slamming my overpowered maces against the wall over and over, their durability barely went down at all.

I’d imagine the patch should be live for other versions of the game soon, too.

http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-2-s-most-annoying-bug-finally-patched-one-y-1702838746

Top Bottom