• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Kama_1082

Banned
wait, whaaaaat? luckily i was able to beat the rotten in 4-5 tries, but i did it by running to the mist and having to heal up before entering because i was poisoned.

i wonder if i missed anything else in that area
Right before the mist, hug the wall to the right and follow the path :)

Dresden

I was considering getting this just for the remix, but I have to ask the question that I'm sure has already been asked hundreds of times:

Does the new lighting actually improve the atmosphere compared to what GeDoSaTo could already do with the postprocessing, or does it make it too bright in most areas, somewhat killing the atmosphere? Screenshots don't really show much, and I don't like watching playthroughs.

Doesn't do much. But the torch did get some added utility in certain areas other than just light, so there's that.

weevles

Picked up the game with BB sale/gamers unlocked/reward certs. I played the most on PC, but never finished the game on any of the platforms. Hopefully this will be the one where that happens lol.

elfinke

I was considering getting this just for the remix, but I have to ask the question that I'm sure has already been asked hundreds of times:

Does the new lighting actually improve the atmosphere compared to what GeDoSaTo could already do with the postprocessing, or does it make it too bright in most areas, somewhat killing the atmosphere? Screenshots don't really show much, and I don't like watching playthroughs.

It changes things just subtly enough I think, from GeDoSaTo (which I spent 300+ hours using last year) to make it a very worthy remix, aside from the content. Little things like the change in contrast to areas, like the Mirror Knight fight - which looks sensational now, some added shininess or something, combined with the cleaner lighting - and the Undead Crypt area generally. Certainly I haven't found it to be brighter, quite the opposite in fact, and I'm sure side-by-side pixel hunting could turn up something.

Obvious places like The Gutter and Black Gulch are closer to how those areas probably were envisioned by the creators to be from the outset. The torch is not really necessary if you're already familiar with those areas, but it looks so damn nice that it's nice to have anyway!

A shameful secret: even though I platinumed Demon's Souls I've never beaten Penetrator without Biorr's help. I tried one or two times but got destroyed. Somehow he was more relentless than False King Allant for me.

This morning after 20+ deaths I've dealt with The Pursuer in DaS2. Felt sogood.gif. IMO they are basically the same fights: Penetrator and Pursuer. I know second boss, easy, yada, yada but for me it is a great moment of triumph. If I can beat him (without being hit even once) then I am ready for the rest of the game :) No summons but sadly no Covenant of the Champions as well.

God, I really missed the Souls series.

i didn't realize how ridiculous the running animation looks on those falconer guys until now. i guess that's why they were so scarce in vanilla, heh.

This morning after 20+ deaths I've dealt with The Pursuer in DaS2. Felt sogood.gif. IMO they are basically the same fights: Penetrator and Pursuer. I know second boss, easy, yada, yada but for me it is a great moment of triumph. If I can beat him (without being hit even once) then I am ready for the rest of the game :) No summons but sadly no Covenant of the Champions as well.

God, I really missed the Souls series.

you'll be a master by endgame. he'll make sure of that ;)

BouncyFrag

So I a used a Pharros' lock stone in Earthen Peak and it just belched out a pool of poison at my feet, as if that level didn't have enough of the stuff to begin with.
I+_499a3fabe7030a25d309f9ff9630fb16.gif

phoenixyz

So I a used a Pharros' lock stone in Earthen Peak and it just belched out a pool of poison at my feet, as if that level didn't have enough of the stuff to begin with.
I+_499a3fabe7030a25d309f9ff9630fb16.gif

Once you
burn the rotor of the wind mill the poison in the level will be cleared and the lockstone will spit out healing water

SkylineRKR

I'm enjoying this game much more than BB. The different armor sets and number of attributes to level up makes the grind enjoyable. I am liking this just as much as the first DSouls.. I just got to the Lost Bastille. I am still wondering why some folks are so down on this. The graphics makes this very immersive for me so no complaints so far......

I think I like this more than BB too. At least I sank much more hours in DS2 after a rough start.

There are more possible builds, period. Even without the DLC, the game is bigger. Joining covenants is actually useful here, its fun smacking bosses with sunbros. You cannot really do this in BB. And I can't stress it enough, but this PvP annihilates BB. The gameplay of DS2 isn't that much different either, this game rewards the offensive approach just as much. You'll fare much better if you get in close and evade. Much like in BB. The initial i-frames suck, but after leveling its actually really solid bar some grapples.

The biggest complaint I read is basically 'its not Miyazaki'. Well, BB's atrocious level warping and summoning is apparently Miyazaki so I don't know what this is about. Level design? Granted its better in BB but some DS2 areas are very strong too. Its a bigger game with more areas so chances are some are less good than others. In terms of bullshit and gank squads they aren't much different, though the 3 way boss battle in BB was handled better (not those hunters who are worse than anything in DS2).

BB can use a scholar edition too. A completely different fast travel, blood vial and summoning system, tweaked hunter NPC's, more weapons that scale well with Arcane and Bloodtinge builds, no artificial cockblocking of weapon maxing and perhaps something about those damned bullets usage. In all honesty Miyazaki can take some cues from DS2.

Scarecrow

I think I ran into a game breaking bug? I finished off the spider boss to get the last great soul, but it's not in my inventory. I got the notification it was acquired, I checked my inventory and item box, and I double checked the arena where I killed the boss.

Any news on this?

SkylineRKR

I think I ran into a game breaking bug? I finished off the spider boss to get the last great soul, but it's not in my inventory. I got the notification it was acquired, I checked my inventory and item box, and I double checked the arena where I killed the boss.

Any news on this?

I think the boss doesn't drop it but you need to grab it. Its resonating on the ground in the same room.

Scarecrow

I think the boss doesn't drop it but you need to grab it. Its resonating on the ground in the same room.

Yeah, I picked it up from the floor right after I beat her. Now there's just a bunch of rocks there that I can examine, but it says nothing happens.

elfinke

Just completed the Sunken King DLC. Didn't care for large swathes of the city at the beginning, and I was glad to see the end of temple, too. But those back-to-back boss fights were a bunch of fun. I enjoyed them a lot.

Oh and I don't recall this ever happening in vanilla, but I was invaded by a player while running through one of the dark covenant temples. As always when I'm playing with cross region play enabled, I was invaded by someone dual wielding fast weapons that hit from miles away, which is very frustrating.

Onto the 3rd DLC. Just beat Aava. Really cool areas tbh but these enemies are so lazy. DLC 1 is green dudes then red dudes and and then blue dudes all with super high poise and resist magic damage. Awesome.

What I like about the DLCs are how you spend an extended period in mostly one area. Is that something that you guys want to see more of with the series going forward? I mean, it'd be difficult because we're just warping to completely different places with no regard for their placement in the larger world. It's kind of like a mini version of the from Demon's Souls which is cool. There are analogues in the main game but they're nowhere near as long or involved. The one that jumps to mind is Dragon Aerie + Dragon Shrine but that's like an hour at most.

rhandino

Banned
Not me beating
Blue Smelter Demon
on my first try! Not me thinking that the
Iron Passage
is a FUN area that leads to a boring boss!

5JXAzPs.gif

And now I am in the 3rd DLC area,
Frozen Eleum Loyce
is so beautiful! I can't be the only one that want's Dark Souls III set in a frozen city where outside is a constant blizzard and full of monster yet the buildings provide some "safety" from the dangers outside!

Yeah, I picked it up from the floor right after I beat her. Now there's just a bunch of rocks there that I can examine, but it says nothing happens.
You can come back here later in the game to see and receive something something special... just remember because a lot of people forget about it T_T

What I like about the DLCs are how you spend an extended period in mostly one area. Is that something that you guys want to see more of with the series going forward? I mean, it'd be difficult because we're just warping to completely different places with no regard for their placement in the larger world. It's kind of like a mini version of the from Demon's Souls which is cool. There are analogues in the main game but they're nowhere near as long or involved. The one that jumps to mind is Dragon Aerie + Dragon Shrine but that's like an hour at most.
!!!

I noticed this, I was very frustrated trying to beat
Sir Alonne
and after beating him I returned to Majula to buy something and noticed that I was in Brume Tower for such a long time that I almost forgot how warm and cozy Majula feels and then noticed that the Emerald Herald was sitting on the rocks and talked to her just to hear her voice again...

SkylineRKR

After the somewhat meh Iron King I like the Ivory King a lot as well. So glad I specced back to Melee. The Smelter Sword is taking names there. Just keep some powders handy as I've had some near breaks on a handful of weapons there.

Its a bit of a pity that the areas dislike magic so much, its unbalanced, but at least I remember melee is just my thing in Souls.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why do my weapons take a beating fighting that damned dragon in sunken king?

After the somewhat meh Iron King I like the Ivory King a lot as well. So glad I specced back to Melee. The Smelter Sword is taking names there. Just keep some powders handy as I've had some near breaks on a handful of weapons there.

Its a bit of a pity that the areas dislike magic so much, its unbalanced, but at least I remember melee is just my thing in Souls.

My lightning is doing well in old iron king DLC.

Inotti

I'm kinda sad that there arent that many ps4 players for this game. It's hard to find people to co-op with. :/ *sigh* When I play pc-version of this game I see summon signs everywhere!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I like to play these games going in blind. But I do know that the DLC in this game is said to be some of the best souls stuff and I don't want to miss it.
I know for a fact I would have missed the Dark Souls 1 DLC area if my friend hadn't told me about it.

Is the DLC here integrated well? Will I come across it normally or does it need some weird requirements like in Dark Souls 1? No spoilers please, just wanna know if I need to wiki this one thing to make sure I find it or not.

rhandino

Banned
I like to play these games going in blind. But I do know that the DLC in this game is said to be some of the best souls stuff and I don't want to miss it.
I know for a fact I would have missed the Dark Souls 1 DLC area if my friend hadn't told me about it.

Is the DLC here integrated well? Will I come across it normally or does it need some weird requirements like in Dark Souls 1? No spoilers please, just wanna know if I need to wiki this one thing to make sure I find it or not.

Don't worry, you will find the access points to the areas very easily during your playthrough.

----

Talking with my brother, who watches me play this games, we come to the conclusion that we had a lot of fun with
Fume Knight
and
Sir Alonne
, both fights are so so hard yet so so rewarding at the end.

rhandino

Banned
What level should I be to start the DLC and is there a certain order to play them in ?

I think that the DLC is better left until you are almost at the end of the game because the enemies are really hard... that being said you can can tackle them at any time after you found the access points so you may want to explore them an see if you found the level manageable =D

Oh! and you can do them in any order, I am doing them in the order they were released but for my next run I plan to play them in reverse (Ivory, Iron and Sunken)...

Okay the Lost Bastille is totally Tower of Latria 3-1 only without the horror part. And holy shit The Pursuer is now a random enemy :) killed me when I opened that chest, haha. Fucker.

I love this game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Yeah, this actually put a stop to my 100+ hour playthrough. I set out determined to play a magic character in a Souls game for the first time and was happy until the DLC. It's almost as if From Software is attempting to balance their indiscretions with the magic system from Vanilla with a run of tough DLC where magic is almost completely useless. Easily the worst design decision I've ever seen from that team. I refuse to spec a melee character just to continue, and it's left a very sour taste in my mouth to be completely honest.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Don't worry, you will find the access points to the areas very easily during your playthrough.

----

Talking with my brother, who watches me play this games, we come to the conclusion that we had a lot of fun with
Fume Knight
and
Sir Alonne
, both fights are so so hard yet so so rewarding at the end.

Thanks, good to know!

Yeah, this actually put a stop to my 100+ hour playthrough. I set out determined to play a magic character in a Souls game for the first time and was happy until the DLC. It's almost as if From Software is attempting to balance their indiscretions with the magic system from Vanilla with a run of tough DLC where magic is almost completely useless. Easily the worst design decision I've ever seen from that team. I refuse to spec a melee character just to continue, and it's left a very sour taste in my mouth to be completely honest.

That was pretty annoying. Enchanted MLGS does the job though. Not sure why they changed it from having just an int requirement like DS1. Plus it's uglier.

A strength build with a big hammer seems like the easiest way to play this game.

Just started my first ever play through of DkS 2 last night. Having a hard time getting into this game. Feels like a massive downgrade in gameplay, visuals, atmosphere and art style coming fresh off of Bloodborne. Hopefully things pick up soon.

So this is my current character. I have a ton of unused Soul Vessels and wanna respec this build to something I havent tried before. Also have a shit ton of upgrade material for pretty much every kind of weapon.

I was thinking powerstancing some DEX or QUALITY weapons.

Any fun powerstance weapon combos? Also what stats should I end up with after that?

1MECYtT.jpg

rhandino

Banned
Does anyone have issues with the stone soldiers not coming to life? Cant get the key to the king's passage :(
o_O thats really weird? Did you hit them? If not better return to the last bonfire and try again...

===

Beaten the main story of Ivory King...

I found
Eleum Loyce
theme fascinating and would have loved a whole game in a frozen city tbh. One thing that I really liked is that the enemy placement was very very Dark Souls and instead of a bunch of really though enemies ready to gank you can now lure them a fight them individually...

The bosses are again the highlight, I summoned a Sunbro during my first try against
Aava, The Kings Pet
and found the fight still challenging
thanks to her magic attacks
, would have loved to solo it but wanted that Sun Medal (farming them for my next playtrough with this character =D)

And the fight against
Ivory King
is one of my favorites from the DLC... Loved how you
recruit and summon those Knights to help you against the horde of charred knights
and the fight against the
King
himself was so much fun.

Also I am loving how FROM is giving the NPC invaders very unique traits o_O...

Now to tackle the optional boss, hopefully is not that bad T_T

Golgo 13

That was pretty annoying. Enchanted MLGS does the job though. Not sure why they changed it from having just an int requirement like DS1. Plus it's uglier.

A strength build with a big hammer seems like the easiest way to play this game.
I've always played two-handed melee builds in souls so coming from Bloodborne I wanted a different gameplay experience.

Anyway -- Yeah, that 18 Dex requirement for MLGS is fuckin' killin' me. I think my Dex is like 7 currently, strength like 11. Only 18 points to respect, no big deal. Lulz.

o_O thats really weird? Did you hit them? If not better return to the last bonfire and try again...
Yeah I tried attacking them, they should come alive right? Or am I doing something wrong?

p.s Thanks for the reply earlier :p

Are you in the area with the claw enemies in the next room? If so, lure them in there.
If I go in there, the stone soliders still dont do anything. They should come alive and I need to kill them to activate the elevator right?

Oh shit @ the 3 bosses at the same time in Bastille. I can kill the first one on the platform pretty quickly but then the other two jump up and gang up on me. Can't drop down cause I die instantly - gotta buy that Cat Ring in Majula...

Game is still 10/10 although graphically and aesthetically is such a let down from Demon's Souls (playing on Xbone). You see in Demon's Souls every area had lots and lots of details and was "busy" without being "artificial". Take for example Tower of Latria 3-1 vs Bastille. Latria is full of stuff on the ground and on the walls, shelves. There is always something in the corner. Bastille is just an empty square rooms one after another. One after another. Boring empty hallways. The fight with the 3 bosses can be compared to Adjuticator fight in Demon's - kind of same setup a square room with a ledge, yet the Adjudicator room was looking great graphically and had lots of geometry. Here it is just... bland. Almost perfectly flat. Or the Old Monk fight with dozens of chairs in the background and in the foreground. It was just better crafted? better designed? (graphically speaking only)

Golgo 13

Yeah I tried attacking them, they should come alive right? Or am I doing something wrong?

p.s Thanks for the reply earlier :p

If I go in there, the stone soliders still dont do anything. They should come alive and I need to kill them to activate the elevator right?
This version is glitched/changed from the original. Lure the claw guys from the room next-door into the room with the statues, the golem will come alive and activate the elevator. The statues don't come alive in that room, strangely.

Ratrat

Hmm.....

Okay, I'm not sure where all the complaints were coming from because Crown of the Sunken King is fucking awesome so far. It feels like a callback to Kings Field - The Ancient City.

No. You are supposed to lure the claw enemies to do that now.

===

Beaten the main story of Ivory King...

I found
Eleum Loyce
theme fascinating and would have loved a whole game in a frozen city tbh. One thing that I really liked is that the enemy placement was very very Dark Souls and instead of a bunch of really though enemies ready to gank you can now lure them a fight them individually...

The bosses are again the highlight, I summoned a Sunbro during my first try against
Aava, The Kings Pet
and found the fight still challenging
thanks to her magic attacks
, would have loved to solo it but wanted that Sun Medal (farming them for my next playtrough with this character =D)

And the fight against
Ivory King
is one of my favorites from the DLC... Loved how you
recruit and summon those Knights to help you against the horde of charred knights
and the fight against the
King
himself was so much fun.

Also I am loving how FROM is giving the NPC invaders very unique traits o_O...

Now to tackle the optional boss, hopefully is not that bad T_T

This is probably my favorite fight too. Its not because the boss is amazingly designed (like Artorias) although its not bad. I just love how chaotic it can get with 4 knights and 3 summons vs the Boss and his enemy spawns.

Also probably one of the most badass intro's to any boss in the series.

Oh shit @ the 3 bosses at the same time in Bastille. I can kill the first one on the platform pretty quickly but then the other two jump up and gang up on me. Can't drop down cause I die instantly - gotta buy that Cat Ring in Majula...

Yeah you have to drop in and go ham on the first one, get him down asap. You shouldnt die dropping down though?

Top Bottom