• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, I hate slider character customization. Whenever I make female characters in RPGs, I always end up with hideous monstrosities or 12 year olds : /

..although, I'm not sure why I'm worrying, as I'll never see this character's face once I get a decent helmet...

EDIT: Ooooohhh I just got an Idea. Imma join the Darkmoons and RP as the Lady of the Darkmoon

EDIT2: Crap, I forgot you have to kil Gwyndolin to get that armor. :/ Anyone on 360 wanna throw me a set you aren't using?

EDIT 3: I named her Astarea. Who'll be my Garl?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Holy shit I think I obtained a sword I wasn't "supposed" to get this early. I found a cheap way to range attack the
dragon in undead burg or wherever, and as I struck at his tail with arrows it broke off after about 15-20 hits or so and I got a drake sword
. Does 200 damage compared to the 90ish my longsword was doing. I wreck fools now :lol

This is cute, lol.

Saya

How can I play Dark Souls (PS3) offline? Want to stay human, but do not want to get invaded... Is there any way to turn off the wireless? I think it connects automatically.

Almost finished with this awesome game: first run, 90+ hours, SL113. I just have to do Tomb of the Giants and some side stuff. Then it's time to upgrade everything! Can't wait :D

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How can I play Dark Souls (PS3) offline? Want to stay human, but do not want to get invaded... Is there any way to turn off the wireless? I think it connects automatically.

Almost finished with this awesome game: first run, 90+ hours, SL113. I just have to do Tomb of the Giants and some side stuff. Then it's time to upgrade everything! Can't wait :D

Eh..if it connects automatically to the internet through wireless, it's because you set it up that way haha. Turn it off in the network settings.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm trying to make the strongest Chaos weapon possible pre-Sen's. I'm trying to remember how many guaranteed Red Titanite Chunks are available before then. I've got three: two from the black knights in the Undead Asylum and one from the Great Hollow. Are there any more?

NPC builds are the best builds.

On a side note, I just saw Iron Golem's turtle form first hand.

If the host of that game is at a high enough level to summon somebody kitted out in Leeroy's gear and swinging Grant one-handed he should really have more HP than that. He should also have high enough stats to put some pants on, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that there's no Soul Level high enough to convince him to do that.

You can just sign out of PSN then decline to sign in at the title screen. If it signs you in automatically then hit the triangle button on the Account Management icon on the XMB to get the option to sign out.

shiroryu

God, I hate slider character customization. Whenever I make female characters in RPGs, I always end up with hideous monstrosities or 12 year olds : /

..although, I'm not sure why I'm worrying, as I'll never see this character's face once I get a decent helmet...

EDIT 3: I named her Astarea. Who'll be my Garl?

Yeah, I spent some time on my mage to make her look half-decent at creation, but since she's hollow most of the time, she won't be winning any Miss Lordran competitions soon. If there was a game where character creation doesn't really matter, this is the one.

And it should be Astraea. You won't get your Garl that way :)

malfcn

Damnit.

Got my CE from Amazon. Like-New my ass. It is beat up, dented, scuffed. The only thing that looks like-new is the disc. Wtf.

.GqueB.

Banned
I hate how vague this game is sometimes. It seems that you have to have drained new londo ruins before you can summon. How/Why would I know that? Why is that even the case?

I hate how vague this game is sometimes. It seems that you have to have drained new londo ruins before you can summon. How/Why would I know that? Why is that even the case?

Well, it's not like you really need to before hand, but that is kinda weird and arbitrary.

So, being done with Anor Londo, would it be wise to head over to the Darkroot Basin and do the area behind where the Hydra was? Or is there some other part to the Darkroot Basin that I'm missing?

one85x

So, being done with Anor Londo, would it be wise to head over to the Darkroot Basin and do the area behind where the Hydra was? Or is there some other part to the Darkroot Basin that I'm missing?
If you've already opened the door with the Crest of Artorias, then you don't really need to. There is a boss in that area that you need to kill though.

Wool

haha, I waited around for awhile looking to summon someone too.

Also, being invaded and being able to summon in that little strip of land outside of the darkroot forest is dumb. I got invaded while I was at the bonfire there and so I summoned someone right away, we killed the guy, then there was nothing for us to do. If there is no boss then what is the phantom there for? He just used the separation crystal and left as soon as the invader was dead.

Also, being invaded and being able to summon in that little strip of land outside of the darkroot forest is dumb. I got invaded while I was at the bonfire there and so I summoned someone right away, we killed the guy, then there was nothing for us to do. If there is no boss then what is the phantom there for? He just used the separation crystal and left as soon as the invader was dead.

...?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

One of the requirements for summoning to be available is for the boss to be accessible. Until you drain New Londo the boss door is submerged. The areas with golden fog doors blocking the boss work the same way, you can't summon anyone until they're gone.

Which strip of land are you talking about? There are two bosses in Darkroot, if you haven't killed them both then there are sections where you can still summon.

2AdEPT

but that doesn't explain why the witch never showed cause I drained that bitch plenty....then I found out you have TO HAVE SUMMONED HER FOR BUTTERFLY. arrg. only after running around fending off ghosts and darkwraiths....and dying, and running....and dying and running back, running back running back..............................

2AdEPT

I doubt there was no boss, more likely is that you forgot about the butterfly boss, that;s the boss for that strip....sif is the other side and you can't go there as that is butterfly's area only.............has anyone summoned there and then gone to use help for hydra?

2AdEPT

So, um...OT4? of OH GOD ANDRE WHERE ARE MY EMBERS

How bout : OT4 ready 2 ride the coffin?
or: Grim faced DEATH - read all about it in Dark Souls OT4.
or: Death - the real dark souls starts here OT4

edit: ok ez just brainstorming here?!?!!? Never knew folks were so uncomfortable with their ontological existence??!?!?!!?

2AdEPT

How bout : OT4 ready 2 ride the coffin?
or: Grim faced DEATH - read all about it in Dark Souls OT4.
or: Death - the real dark souls starts here OT4

edit: ok ez just brainstorming here?!?!!? Never knew folks were so uncomfortable with their ontological existence??!?!?!!?

somebody post something so I know I didn't piss off the whole community????!?!

mxgt

Banned
Is the Capra Demon the easiest boss? just stumbled across him, didn't even know it would be a boss area and killed him first try

Platted Dark Souls last night at souls level 105

Fantastic game and easily my GOTY and my 2nd best game this gen after Demons Souls. The game does so much better than Demons from bigger worlds, large variety of weapons and armour, great variety of environments (snow in the painted world, Bolataria esque castle in Undead Parish, Forest area's etc).

But I give Demons the overall upper hand as it had more memorable bosses and they were harder (I.e. flamelurker when he goes ape shyt is harder than any Dark Souls boss). I didn't like the recycling of Capra Demons, Taurus Demons, Gargoyles, Asylum Demon x3 etc and I hated the Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith areas which let the last part of the game down.

Otherwise bravo to From Software, they've now created my fav series.

Is the Capra Demon the easiest boss? just stumbled across him, didn't even know it would be a boss area and killed him first try
Pinwheel. Killed him in 4hits with 0dmg taken on my first attempt.
Though the area proceeding it explains why the boss was so easy. Well played FROM, well played

One of my favorite moments in Dark Souls for sure. The place is so serene, and the music... Then the walk up to the
Dragon
. No other game...

Ash Lake is a great place, the only bad thing about it is you have to go through the annoying Great Hollow to go there.

Is anyone still having trouble with
Gwyn
? I find the easiest way to kill him if you can't parry his attacks is to do hit and run, using the pillars in the cave to keep him from breathing down your neck at all times. If you get tagged by a big hit, get to one of them and put it between you and him. Most of his attacks will get stuck on the pillar so you'll have time to heal up. Once you're healed, move back and continue to fight.

I can take him down pretty reliably that way without help (because seriously, going Human in Kiln is asking for "Dark spirit ElGanksterSupremo/XxXSephirothXxX/whatever the fuck their name is has invaded!" to happen).

Insaniac

I'm gonna ask a huge favor of someone. firstly I'm SL 46 so you need to be in summon range.

I would really like some white titanite chunks to upgrade my divine sword to occult (I can't reliably get any white titanite, and my weapon is starting to get very weak at anor londo)

I hear that white titanite is a 100% drop from some knight in the kiln. So if someone would do me a huge favor of farming 5 or 6 pieces and throwing them my way I'd be ever so grateful, and I'll repay you with souls or whatnot.

Probably would be wise to test if we can reliable summon one another first.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I missed that. Went to Ash Lake first, though, so probably not quite the same.

Seeing the Great Hollow winding up is indeed awesome. Looking into the distance, I'm sure the horizon is dotted with other trees - no doubt just as massive as the one you come down. You really get a sense of scale down there, like looking into space.

Ash Lake may not have been as impressive as other parts of the game level-design-wise, but as others have said before, the brevity of it all makes it feel very well implemented. That place is not necessarily supposed to challenge you; it's not even necessary to the story. It is just there, and it is integral to the world. Something unique and awe-inspiring that the creators put there for players to witness.

Edit: Have to add that the effect is even greater after the nightmare descent that is Great Hollow. Pretty decent design when you consider the 'reward' factor alone, but in true Souls fashion, not without its own sense of danger.

There's also another super subtle genius to the area.

When/if you see the hydra earlier in the Basin, you can never really see the whole thing. It's obscured on your way to it by trees, and then you can't see behind it.

In Ash Lake, you walk in and see it just -- fucking -- swimming there. You see ALL of it (not just the head, but the tentacles floating behind it). When the music started playing, I panned the camera around, looked at the immensity of the world and slowly proceeded down the hill before coming face to face with the enormous monster, I knew the guys who were making this were incredibly talented.

Also, the difference in scale from when you're high up versus actually fighting the beast was just crazy.

Everything I loved about the game, everything I'd worked toward in the game, was solidified during the Ash Lake trip. Nothing about what made it special was thrown in my face, it was all created in my own head, be it through connecting the dots or just being inspired by the implied fiction of the environment. It was a surreal, beautiful moment that I've never had in a video game before. If someone watched a video it would mean nothing to them. Hell, most people who actually play the game probably never even visit that area. But to me, it meant everything, and that's video games being video games.

Edit: awful, awful grammar. It's still not great, but whatever, I typed this at 12am.

edbrat

Ash Lake is a great place, the only bad thing about it is you have to go through the annoying Great Hollow to go there.

damnit have done ToG but still haven't made it to Ash Lake after dying loads in the Great Hollow, have to make my way down there soon.

Daante

Im at Four kings currently , SL 63 i think (at work so cant check exactly). Seems like a tough fight!

How good/bad are a dex/strength build for PVP @ SL 120?

I have like 21 strength and 23 dex currently. I lvled str mainly beacuse it seemed good with Drake sword. Now im running around with Queenlags Fury Sword and that stacks with dex correct? .

In Demons souls i really liked going around with the Meat cleaver and only doing R2 attacks.

For Darks Souls i been more towards the light-combat-style-with-not-so-heavy-weapons.
I really like the Queenlags Fury Sword, is there any better option for me later and if yes should i put points into something else further on?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
There's also another super subtle genius to the area.

When/if you see the hydra earlier in the Basin, you can never really see the whole thing. It's obscured on your way to it by trees, and then you can't see behind it.

In Ash Lake, you walk in and see it just -- fucking -- swimming there, and, relevantly, you see ALL of it (not just the head, but the tentacles floating behind it). The music en starts playing, you pan the camera around and look at the immensity of the world and then you slowly proceed down the hill before eventually coming face to face with the enormous monster. The difference in scale from when you're high up versus fighting it is just crazy.

Everything I loved about the game, everything I'd worked toward in the game, was solidified during the Ash Lake trip. Nothing about what made it special was thrown in my face, it was all created in my own head, be it throuh connecting the dots or otherwise. It was just a surreal, beautiful moment that I've never had in a video game before. If someone watched a video it would mean nothing to them. Hell, most people who actually play the game probably never even visit that area. But to me, it meant everything, and that's video games being video games.
Ok, I'm calling off the weird fan-fiction wedding with Thagomizer's sunbrodette. I want to elope with your brain instead.

Bolded the really nice bits. What you described down there is something not many games can get once, yet Souls is able to nail on several accounts (depending on the player). Like a really good book or film 'capturing' your imagination - it's not just the substance that's put in front of you; it's how you interpret and interact with it that makes it special.

It's fine that the actual fight is nothing particularly grand either; just another big enemy by that point (I'm guessing even if you'd not seen it yet in the Basin). You may have to take it down in a tedious/cheap way, but that's not the point. It's just there, forever, until you kill it; another one of your many obstacles, shrouded in mystery.

It's a shame that many players who do visit Ash Lake are so underwhelmed by the area. Perhaps they are burned out by doing the Hollow on the way in, or had higher expectations because they'd caught a glimpse of something in a trailer. It's just so vastly different from the rest of the game (layout, pace, music, scenery) that one would hope it lingered fondly in the memories of many.

Derrick01

Banned

the thing with all the dogs near him? No, that's where I'm kind of stuck now :(

Though I imagine he would be pretty easy without the extra enemies.

shiroryu

Is the Great Hollow the same big tree you see from the stairs down from the Shrine to the Catacombs?

And OT4 naming suggestions:

1. Our patches actually do something
2. The only game to have Patches in-built
3. Do a barrel roll. Seriously. You'll thank us later.
4. So you think you can dance with Gwyn?
5. HEY ANDREI SEE YOU IN NG+ MAN STAB STABBITY STAB

shiroryu

the thing with all the dogs near him? No, that's where I'm kind of stuck now :(

Though I imagine he would be pretty easy without the extra enemies.

Have you opened up the Firelink shortcut through the sewer to the boss door? Makes things easier.

And yeah, trick is take out the dogs first, though that can be a bitch. :p Capra is fairly easy after that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's just there, forever, until you kill it; another one of your many obstacles, shrouded in mystery.
Yep. I liked your whole post, but this part right here hits the nail on the head.

.GqueB.

Banned
One of the requirements for summoning to be available is for the boss to be accessible. Until you drain New Londo the boss door is submerged. The areas with golden fog doors blocking the boss work the same way, you can't summon anyone until they're gone.

And Im supposed to know this how? This is what I mean. "One of the requirements" that they never actually laid out or made clear in any way. Its ridiculous. I just hate that they keep so much hidden from you and dont even do a good job of hinting at it. Ive found out most things in this game through either dumb luck or google. Such a shitty way to make a game.

Even the requirement you just gave me makes no sense because there is no other moment where that happens in the game (so far for me anyway). How was I to know the boss wasnt accessible? Am I supposed to blindly assume that there was no boss before you could even drain the level? That there wasnt some minotaur standing right in front of it protecting it? HATE this game sometimes.

But I mostly love it.

And Im supposed to know this how? This is what I mean. "One of the requirements" that they never actually laid out or made clear in any way. Its ridiculous. I just hate that they keep so much hidden from you and dont even do a good job of hinting at it. Ive found out most things in this game through either dumb luck or google. Such a shitty way to make a game.

Even the requirement you just gave me makes no sense because there is no other moment where that happens in the game (so far for me anyway). How was I to know the boss wasnt accessible? Am I supposed to blindly assume that there was no boss before you could even drain the level? That there wasnt some minotaur standing right in front of it protecting it? HATE this game sometimes.

But I mostly love it.

And people complain about all the hand-holding this gen. :p

No, I know what you mean - people voiced the same complaints about Demon's Souls. Really though, there are ways to figure this stuff out without help. So far as I know, nothing is truly unknowable; NPC conversations and cutscenes reveal everything (not to mention good ol' trial and error). The trouble is, until you know what they're talking about, you don't know wtf they're talking about. Like how in the beginning of Demon's, when you have to find the Monumental, a lot of players, myself included, didn't know where to go or what to do, but if you watch the cutscene carefully, it spells it right out for you. But you need to know what you're looking for, so it's tricky.

Thinking about it some more, it's how the game replaces the magic of the initial playthrough: for the second playthrough you actually know what the cutscenes are trying to show you and what the NPCs are actually talking about.

MMaRsu

I love this game so much. Lvl 71, picked up the iato yesterday and now its at lightning3.gonna try to upgrade it some more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In a lesser game, I'd call it poor design, but everything about this game seems to be designed to support, encourage and generally enhance communities working together and solving the mysteries of the game without directly sacrificing the feeling of exploring a big, lonely world all by yourself. You're meant to ask a friend, either in person or over the Internet, "why do they even bother giving me soul items rather than just adding more to my total?" before being told the big ol' obvious reason that many people don't immediately realise. It becomes a minor-victory in the an otherwise very, very oppressive opening few hours. Rather than the game just telling you why they're useful, you finally feel like you're taking advantage of the game in some way and making progress. By having to potentially circumvent the game itself to learn why something might be useful, it makes it feel like you're finally 'beating' the game in some small way.

It's totally absurd and not for everyone, but I just find it so damn fascinating.

.GqueB.

Banned
And people complain about all the hand-holding this gen. :p

No, I know what you mean - people voiced the same complaints about Demon's Souls. Really though, there are ways to figure this stuff out without help. So far as I know, nothing is truly unknowable; NPC conversations and cutscenes reveal everything. The trouble is, until you know what they're talking about, you don't know wtf they're talking about. Like how in the beginning of Demon's, when you have to find the Monumental, a lot of players, myself included, didn't know where to go or what to do, but if you watch the cutscene carefully, it spells it right out for you. But you need to know what you're looking for, so it's tricky.

Thinking about it some more, it's how the game replaces the magic of the initial playthrough: for the second playthrough you actually know what the cutscenes are trying to show you and what the NPCs are actually talking about.

I dont really mind that I have to talk to NPC's to get a bulk of the story. This is fine. For instance, I enjoy the little "story" that happens between the witch and her sister (if you have the ring). Very interesting.

But with stuff like what I described, I feel that they should do a better job of laying that out. Something like that should be made very clear because otherwise you automatically assume that there is something wrong with the the online component.

Derrick01

Banned
Have you opened up the Firelink shortcut through the sewer to the boss door? Makes things easier.

And yeah, trick is take out the dogs first, though that can be a bitch. :p Capra is fairly easy after that.

Yeah I found the shortcut on my own and figured out the dogs come first but that's easier said then done with that big fucker leaping at me. I almost got him yesterday because I ran up the stairs and one of the dogs kind of knocked me on top of the archway to where I couldn't be hit from the boss. Gave me time to take the dogs out and deal with the boss but I failed anyway. 1 mistake and you're usually done in this game lol.

shiroryu

Yeah I found the shortcut on my own and figured out the dogs come first but that's easier said then done with that big fucker leaping at me. I almost got him yesterday because I ran up the stairs and one of the dogs kind of knocked me on top of the archway to where I couldn't be hit from the boss. Gave me time to take the dogs out and deal with the boss but I failed anyway. 1 mistake and you're usually done in this game lol.

Ok, I played a mage and was a bit high level, so it might have been just that. But yeah, the archway is a great place to be; get a spear/rapier and kill the dogs when they come up. Capra can come up too, but he usually falls off. You can do a plunging attack, then repeat.

Sullichin

I dont really mind that I have to talk to NPC's to get a bulk of the story. This is fine. For instance, I enjoy the little "story" that happens between the witch and her sister (if you have the ring). Very interesting.

But with stuff like what I described, I feel that they should do a better job of laying that out. Something like that should be made very clear because otherwise you automatically assume that there is something wrong with the the online component.

I agree, something explaining the summoning wouldn't hurt anybody! Explain humanity too while you're at it. The game told me what's up when I got cursed, but that's about the only time it told me anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom