• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

agidot

I can't see it on steam(not available in my country).
Do you think I can activate the key if I buy it from GMG?

Raxus

Nice to see so many steam Dark Souls buyers. Are we even going to have a Prepare to Die OT? Would be nice since I would love to play with some gaffers.

It only happens when turning a street corner in a car. I could drive straight forever at any speed and not see any stuttering.

Ah, ok. I haven't actually witnessed that one yet. I know my brother always thinks Im getting super low frames when driving because of the speed effects even though its well over 60.

Teknoman

The true OT starts here.

You almost make it sound as if folks prefer discussing games over playing them.

iL8KWvPjhpNMk.gif

I'm not sure what would be worse, people not figuring out how to fix the fps/resolution within a day, or people figuring it out within a day.

In the first case, the game doesn't get upgraded. In the second case, FROM must've been really horrible at PC porting.

It would be best if it was figured out ASAP. I can't think of a single good thing that would come from a long delay. If it takes 6 months to remove the caps, I don't think people will suddenly think FROM handled the port well.

upandaway

I'm not ready to be that optimistic - At best, the hacks for resolution and framerate will work and come out within a few days of launch.
What are the chances that simply breaking the rendering resolution will make the game look better?

I heard stuff like that it's useless unless the assets are upgraded to accomodate it. As in, it will look ugly.

What are the chances that simply breaking the rendering resolution will make the game look better?

I heard stuff like that it's useless unless the assets are upgraded to accomodate it. As in, it will look ugly.

Depends on what you mean by "assets". Pretty much any game looks better on a higher resolution with no asset upgrade, if you're talking about anything but the UI. If you're including the UI in this then yes, there needs to be some upgrade to the higher resolutions.

WAT. That is just not how games work, unless we are talking UI

No that's not true at all. Higher resolutions will always have a positive effect on the visuals period. Have you ever seen emulated console games rendered at high resolution. The difference can be striking even with low quality assets.

antitrop

No that's not true at all. Higher resolutions will always have a positive effect on the visuals period. Have you ever seen emulated console games rendered at high resolution. The difference can be striking even with low quality assets.
Speaking of, I was just playing Eternal Darkness on an emulator with all sorts of fancy graphical settings at 1080p. It looked pretty amazing.

Dizzy-4U

I dunno man, most Ps2/Wii games look a hella of a lot better with the internal res cranked up and the textures were intended to be 480i/p.

edit: Beaten.

upandaway

UI aside, just unlocking the resolution will 100% make the game look better?

Only reason why I thought this wasn't the case was.. the fact they didn't do it. But oh well, good news.

Now I'm even more confused what the hell they were thinking.

Hypron

Only reason why I thought this wasn't the case was.. the fact they didn't do it. But oh well, good news.

Well, compare Darksiders console and PC. The PC version is the exact same (no texture improvement, no higher poly models...), only with a way higher resolution, and it looks heaps better.

I'm not ready to be that optimistic - At best, the hacks for resolution and framerate will work and come out within a few days of launch.

Lemons, lemonade, that whole bit. I didn't have much to work with. Whatever it takes to turn this around for those who pressed hard to make it happen and for everyone who was ready to throw down and make it worth their efforts.

NBtoaster

Now I'm even more confused what the hell they were thinking.

Higher res will reduce aliasing and better resolve detail.

They must have really mucked up something between Demon's and Dark because even their press shots are 1024x720 upscaled to 1440p.

Hypron

Higher res will reduce aliasing and better resolve detail.

They must have really mucked up something between Demon's and Dark because even their press shots are 1024x720 upscaled to 1440p.

Maybe they just hardcoded everything that has to do with resolution and can't easily change it?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just a reminder, use GameSave Manager (back up immediately after your gaming Session) this might keep you save from losing you gamesaves and gameplay hours forever (still not a a guarantee).

anyone here with the boxed version to tell us how bad this port run?

antitrop

Purely out of curiosity, which resolution is each screen shot?

Just a reminder, use GameSave Manager (back up immediately after your gaming Session) this might keep you save from losing you gamesaves and gameplay hours forever (still not a a guarantee).

anyone here with the boxed version to tell us how bad this port run?
Boxed version can't be played until it's unlocked online at the same time as everyone else, as some have stated in this (or other DS) thread(s).

TheExodu5

Banned
The second shot is likely higher than 1080p. Probably 4x4 internal resolution in Dolphin, downscaled to 1080p. Basically, a 2560*1920 framebuffer.

Could we see the resolution unlocked via mods? My only experience with modding was bit of messing around with Oblivion, and it didn't go so well lol.

If not, I'll probably just get the DLC for ps3, between the locked resolution and GFWL and DRM.

Zeliard

Yup, would call it a shit port but Dark Souls has lowered the bar big time and now I feel Darksiders 2 at least showing proper resolutions and not having GFWL makes it pretty acceptable.

Darksiders II in most senses is a weak port with its low texture quality and hilarious lack of anything resembling graphical options (featuring an in-game vsync toggle which doesn't even work), but it's mostly on par with what we've seen this generation, sadly. It ultimately still runs well and is actually a very pretty game overall due to its art, especially after forcing AA and AO.

Dark Souls is something else altogether.

Top Bottom