• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Date for death sentence appeal set for Pakistani woman accused of blapshemy in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details of Bibi's case show that she was arrested in June 2009 while picking berries with a group of Muslim women in the town of Sheikhupura in the Punjab province who got upset that she drank from the same water bowl as them. Following an argument, the Muslim women went to police and accused Bibi of saying something along the lines of "My Christ died for me, what did Muhammad do for you?"

The 51-year-old mother has been in prison for the past six years, which has placed a spotlight on Pakistan's controversial blasphemy laws and driven several persecution watchdog groups to call for her freedom.

International Christian Concern's Regional Manager for South Asia William said: "Threats from Islamic radical groups and general discrimination against Christians in Pakistan have transformed courts into little more than rubber stamps for blasphemy accusations brought against Christians, regardless of the evidence brought to bear in the case."

Bibi's case even reached Pope Francis at the Vatican, who in April met with and prayed for her family in Rome.

"We are here in Italy to make sure we can be the voice of an innocent woman who has been suffering in jail for six years," Catholic News Agency quoted Bibi's husband, Ashiq Masih.

"Since the day Asia Bibi was arrested, our family is totally destroyed. The children cannot survive without their mother. Asia Bibi misses her children, the children miss her," Masih added.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...ot-to-kill-asia-bibi-blasphemy-charge-168562/

VrmhrB2.gif

I'm sure someone will take issue with the link, but there are no secular news sources covering this.

Monocle

I don't know, mocking God's prophet seems like a pretty severe crime to me. This is a tough one. I am torn. What do you guys think?

I don't know what to say other than those blasphemy laws fucked up, especially when they are willing to give a death sentence to a woman that, according to a couple of acquaintances during an argument, may have said something negative about Muhammad.

Every time someone in my Facebook feed advertises how great and modern Pakistan is and how the west misrepresents this country because of islamaphobia, I want to link to a news story like this...

12 more countries in which blasphemy is officially lethal btw
Not to mention lynch mobs

I don't know what to say other than those blasphemy laws fucked up, especially when they are willing to give a death sentence to a woman that, according to a couple of acquaintances during an argument, may have said something negative about Muhammad.

I mean, it sounds like she just asked the others what Muhammad had done for them. And for that she might be put to death. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom