• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayers 42 year old Emergency goalie wins NHL game.

cryptoadam

Banned
So last night somwthing amazing halpened in Toronto.

The Caeolina Hurricanes lost both there goalies in a game against the leafs. An NHL team only carries 2 goales. If this happens an emergency goalie is put in.

In this case the emergency goalie was a 42 year old Zamboni driver whose highest level was junior b hockey.

And this is where the magic happened.

Then guy came in and let in 2 goals. But the hurricanes had an lead and rallied around their new goalie and scored themselves.

And then David Ayers made history. After 2 goals he started to actually make some saves. He stopped some NHL shots. And then as time wound down he did it. David did the impossible. David won an NHL game making history.

This is essentially someone take out of the stands or off the street and put into the NHL against the best hockey athletes in the world and he won.

This has never happene before. David Ayers has entered the history books.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I look forward to the eventual film. Where the subtext is USA USA !!

ok rather cynical of me.

more appropriate response.
thats flipping awesome and he deserves the win 👍
It’s cool he wasn’t actually a hockey player as such. To do that. That’s flipping awesome

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Oh ya and LOL leafs.

Imagine the patriots playing the steelers and they replaced the QB with the guy who sells beers and last football he played was in grade 6.

Thats what happened here.

Leafs couldnt beat a 42 year old amateur lol. So sad.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Had to watch this game even though I don't really care for either Canes or the Leafs, but it put a smile on my face nonetheless. Never seen Toronto play so shitty, though.

hqdefault.jpg

I swore off the NHL after the last lockout because I got tired of that leagues constant work stoppages. But watching the footage I was legit shook. OP didn't mention when he came into the game or anything. I figured it was sometime in the 3rd but this fucker came in shortly after the half of the game in the second? He held down the fort for a period and a half! That's insanity! The Leafs truly are the most pathetic team in professional sports. How do you let a guy from the streets shut you out for the last 20+ minutes. I get the Canes probably played a lot of keep away and were super aggressive with the puck, but come on man. Imagine being a fan of that shitty team right now. I've already messaged all my friends to rub their faces in it.

Thank you OP for bringing this to my attention. Great way to start off my Sunday

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome game to watch..... assuming you aren't a Leafs fan.

It was 4-1 Canes when their second goalie went down midway through the second period.

They called in the 3rd string no name (who is actually the Leafs zamboni driver for their farm team and does have experience as a goalie long time ago) and in the first 5 minutes the Leafs shelled him for two quick goals making it Canes still leading 4-3.

There was still maybe 5 minutes to go in the second and an entire third period. The goalie let in two goals in his first three shots. Everyone thought he'd let in another 10.

But at that point the Canes played super aggressive scoring and playing good D. For the rest of the game, the goalie didnt have to make too many saves and only faced 6-7 shots in the third.

This has got to be among the biggest low points in Leaf history lately even comparing to choking against the Bruins, or the 80s when the dreadful teams would only win 20 games a year.

On the plus side the Toronto fans loved him when he came out as first star of the game, while booing their own team.

The boos got so bad that Leafs radio said the arena guys turned up the rock and roll music to drown out people booing. lol

Oh, and because he's a third string emergency goalie, he has no team gear. The team had to make a jersey in the hallway and he brings his own goalie mask which is an old one from his old minor league teams. He didn't even get a Canes helmet.

Last edited:
It's even funnier that it happened at home to the leafs. You think all those fans in the stands were so happy to see an emergency goalie enter the game in the second. Probably high fiving each other thinking they'd see the highest scoring game in NHL history.

Dude was probably a couple of hot dogs in and a few beers deep when he had to enter the game. Just drank a bunch of water and pissed it out before the third period. Without a doubt the most embarrassing loss for any team in any professional sport, I can't think of anything that would even come close.

hahahahaaha LOLEAFS

Just when you think you can't go any lower than losing game 7 in a playoff series by choking a 3 goal lead in the third period lol
Leafs had only 10 shots once Ayres went into the net. The team has clearly given up. This is what you get for handing out 10+ million/year contracts like candy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's even funnier that it happened at home to the leafs. You think all those fans in the stands were so happy to see an emergency goalie enter the game in the second. Probably high fiving each other thinking they'd see the highest scoring game in NHL history.

Dude was probably a couple of hot dogs in and a few beers deep when he had to enter the game. Just drank a bunch of water and pissed it out before the third period. Without a doubt the most embarrassing loss for any team in any professional sport, I can't think of anything that would even come close.
The sad thing is how it ended.

It was 4-1 Canes, so they did have a 3 goal lead with half the game remaining. If the game ended with the Canes winning in a SO after being tied 6-6, it wouldn't be so bad because the team could claim they didn't have enough time to catch up in goals and the Canes turtled up to help Ayres.

But when the Canes leading 4-1, end up still winning 6-3, and the Canes didn't turtle up at all. They even scored 2 more goals. WTF?

One of these days I'll rewatch a replay of the game starting when Ayres went in.

On side note: Caps gunning for it. They got Kovalchuk in a Habs trade.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
hahahahaaha LOLEAFS

Just when you think you can't go any lower than losing game 7 in a playoff series by choking a 3 goal lead in the third period lol
Leafs had only 10 shots once Ayres went into the net. The team has clearly given up. This is what you get for handing out 10+ million/year contracts like candy.
4 forwards = about $42 million.

Add in a few more like Andersson and Rielly and you're at about $52 million in 6 players.

They are basically trying to replicate the Pens who have been successful stacking on key forwards, a dman and a goalie (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang Murray). It did work years ago. And now, with a few tweaks like Guentzel being awesome and Jarry taking over Murray, it's a similar stacked team again. But some of their blue collar guys are now pretty good.

The Leafs key forwards are good. And Andersson is decent. Problem is the rest of the team barely contributes, and the Leafs key forwards seem more inconsistent than any dynamic duo or trio Pens have had the past 10 years.

Top Bottom