• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lapham does BATMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoment

David Lapham talks about his upcoming DETECTIVE COMICS run.

TEC801cvr.jpg

nomoment

Lapham >>> Ed Brubaker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jeph Loeb >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brian Azzarello.

Artwise, Lapham >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eduardo Risso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jim Lee.

Get a clue, people!

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
Lapham >>> Ed Brubaker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jeph Loeb >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brian Azzarello.

Artwise, Lapham >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eduardo Risso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jim Lee.

Get a clue, people!

Brubaker > *

nomoment

I particularly liked those quotes from Lapham:

“Batman has this omniscient quality,” Lapham explained. “He's always one step ahead of the bad guys. He's bigger, faster, smarter, stronger. He has more resources, more experience. Even the impressive Rogues gallery of villains aren't really a threat to him. All his struggles are internal and private. Did he achieve his goal? Save who he needed? Is he controlling his city? And even with that, his struggles are private. There's not a lot of ‘head in hands’ whining. He's carefully constructed a myth around himself. The idea of dressing like a bat was for a reason. In the real world that may get you put in the bin, but in his world, it's meant to scare the hell out of the bad guys. Throughout the underworld, just the name Batman is enough to send most crooks running. They don't even dare say his name out loud. So five guys with knives are no threat to him. They don't overwhelm him with numbers. I've always hated it when Batman drops in on a bunch of losers robbing a jewelry store, and the first thing they do is pull out weapons and charge him. That's ridiculous. They'd soil themselves and fall to their knees. At best they'd try and run. My motto was: This is a horror comic, and Batman is the monster.”

"Back to the inclusion of Robin, along with Gordon and a couple of classic villains, that’s the extent of the supporting characters who will be making an appearance in the 12 issues of “City of Crime,” the writer said. “I tried to stick to the basic mythology. I have a hard time conceiving of the ‘Batman and his Amazing Friends’ concept. Batman, Robin, Gordon, Gotham City...that's Batman to me. Give me a couple of his famous rogues gallery, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, the Ventriloquist, and I'm happy. I've also created a new enemy for Batman which plays into the rot and corruption of the city, but as far as the other ‘family’ members, I just don't think Batman works well with others. Even the thought of other costumed heroes roaming around in Gotham, takes away from the horror and isolation of the city and what Batman is about. I understand why it's all there, but I tried to ignore it as much as possible."

I know I said this about Azzarello's Batman run last year, but it's for real this time: DAVID LAPHAM'S 12 ISSUE BATMAN RUN WILL BE THE BEST IN BATMAN RUN IN YEARS.

Willco

Hollywood Square
You lied about Azzarello and you'll lie about this. You're a filthy liar.

I do agree that the whole concept of Batman-related heroes running around is retarded. I really do hate that.

nomoment

Willco said:
You lied about Azzarello and you'll lie about this. You're a filthy liar.
Hey, we all thought it was going to be good! But then, we found out Azzarello's a terribly average superhero writer who does a terrible Milton impression.

I'm going to be hyping this run like nuts, in the coming months. If I'm wrong, I will never recommend a Batman book ever again.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil solrac v3.0 said:
stick to the arachnic boy.

You mean Spider-Man? If you mean Spider-Man then you should call him Spider-Man. Imagine if if I referred to Batman as rich rodent dude. That's not right at all.

I like Batman. But Nomo was wrong before and he'll be wrong again! And that cover looks like it was drawn by a 12-year-old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom