• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day in the life of an anime director / figure sculptor in Japan

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Fascinating video. You hear about the long hours and substandard working conditions for the anime industry, but it's rare to get a candid look like this. Everyone works their butts off in an endless grind to make it in time for the next rapidly approaching deadline. All-nighters, eating convenience store food as he hikes between meetings, dismal offices, and everyone looks worn out. But they still go for perfectionism within the budget and time they have available to them.

Have to wonder why the work can't be done without draining every ounce of life from the staff, as that's never optimal for long-term performance. But clearly they're very passionate about anime, and tolerate the burden.

By contrast, there's another one of these for a figure sculptor who designs Nendoroids at Good Smile Company, and it seems they're a successful enough company (I would hope so!) to have a decent looking office space, and the sculptor gets out in the evening rather than 3am. The staff seem proud of their figure designs and keep loads of merch at their desks.

The subject of the video goes home only to jump straight back into sculpting a personal project. That kind of intense focus on mastery of a chosen domain is commonplace in Japan.

Conspicuously, the resin 3d printers at the GSC office have no ventilation and the staff members spray highly toxic lacquer paints without any real PPE, just an open spray booth. OSHA would faint. They're going to have catastrophic health problems down the road.

But, setting all that aside, it's cool to see their process.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Have to wonder why the work can't be done without draining every ounce of life from the staff, as that's never optimal for long-term performance. But clearly they're very passionate about anime, and tolerate the burden.

Such a huge difference between their mentality and my country, myself included. I havent found any job to be passionate about and even if I had a good pay, I would still see it as a job, something that I can never be happy about.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The manga and anime industry is absolutely crushing.

An Italian comic book author has told into a comic book about his work experience in Japan. He was barely off the plane, tired from jet lag, and his editors were already waiting for him in the lobby of the hotel he was staying at. He was barely given the time for a shower before a long interview about the comic he wanted to make for them. Then at the end of the interview, he was tasked with making a comic for the next morning. A complete comic, story and art. And this went on for two weeks, during which he barely left the hotel’s premises and worked full time, day and night, to provide a new story each day.
He also tells about a conversation with a famous mangaka who regretted being very slow, only producing a certain number of pages a month. The Italian author told the mangaka that that was the average number of pages an European comic book writer would produce in a year.

Passion surely plays a role, yeah, but the thing is, you don’t have a choice in the Japanese market. It’s do (and possibly kill yourself doing it) or die.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
This dude's videos are fascinating, i jaw dropped when he dropped A Day in a Life of a Capcom and Bandai Namco developer.

Can't wait for the eventual 'Day in a Life of a Yakuza Member' - 'Naoho here is about to behead the rival memeber - so exciting!'

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

An Italian comic book author has told into a comic book about how work experience in Japan. He was barely off the plane, tired from jet lag, and his editors were already waiting for him in the lobby of the hotel he was staying at. He was barely given the time for a shower before a long interview about the comic he wanted to make for them. Then at the end of the interview, he was tasked with making a comic for the next morning. A complete comic, story and art. And this went on for two weeks, during which he barely left the hotel’s premises and worked full time, day and night, to provide a new story each day.
He also tells about a conversation with a famous mangaka who regretted being very slow, only producing a certain number of pages a month. The Italian author told the mangaka that that was the average number of pages an European comic book writer would produce in a year.

Passion surely plays a role, yeah, but the thing is, you don’t have a choice in the Japanese market. It’s do (and possibly kill yourself doing it) or die.
Yeah, and wages can be shockingly low for people involved in creating such popular products. You'd think that talented people would be able to sidestep those rigid hierarchies and break out on their own, adjusting the balance of power, but while there is the whole doujin scene there it's nothing like the opportunities in the West for going independent. Part of it is cultural, I think, where people over there tend to be more comfortable working within a structured system, and they're very introverted so self-promotion is a tough proposition. Still, it feels like these popular mangaka and other creators should have incredible leverage to dictate good terms for themselves, but instead they're working themselves to death while the big publishers rake in profit.

Draugoth

Gold Member

An Italian comic book author has told into a comic book about how work experience in Japan. He was barely off the plane, tired from jet lag, and his editors were already waiting for him in the lobby of the hotel he was staying at. He was barely given the time for a shower before a long interview about the comic he wanted to make for them. Then at the end of the interview, he was tasked with making a comic for the next morning. A complete comic, story and art. And this went on for two weeks, during which he barely left the hotel’s premises and worked full time, day and night, to provide a new story each day.

Most mangaka are slaves of their own crafting, working 18 hours a day and sometimes even on Sundays. There's a reason why Miura and Toryiama passed away so earlier: Overworking

Saber

I guess when you love something you seems to either tolerate or forget all the pain of the hardwork. Its sad but at same time, they are doing what they love so I believe they are still happy regardless. It's different from the gaming industry where most of people who work there either are just grumpy everytime or dont like video games at all.

Toons

They shouldn't.

If they can do this under this kind of duress, they can do even better under better conditions.

Most mangaka are slaves of their own crafting, working 18 hours a day and sometimes even on Sundays. There's a reason why Miura and Toryiama passed away so earlier: Overworking
It'll probably be why we lose Yoshihiro Togashi too soon as well. Poor guy struggles to even go to the bathroom because of the working conditions he endured while writing Yu Yu Hakusho and the earlier chapters of Hunter x Hunter.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Toriyama was almost 70, and his days as a non-stop mangaka were well behind him. That’s not so early, even for Japan.
Now Miura, that’s way too young.

He worked for over 10 years non stop on DBZ. It took such a tool on him he wanted to leave the franchise forever until they butchered his life work with Evolution.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I watched the anime director one last week. Originally I thought "Finally, someone in Japan that sleeps in past 9am. Dude must be pretty high up the food chain there and at least have decent hours." Then realized that he worked from the moment he woke up until like 3am. Yikes.

It briefly showed him interacting with his wife and pet at the beginning - damn, imagine being married to someone and only seeing them 10 minutes a day or less.

Toots

Gold Member
Everyone works their butts off in an endless grind to make it in time for the next rapidly approaching deadline. All-nighters, eating convenience store food as he hikes between meetings, dismal offices, and everyone looks worn out. But they still go for perfectionism within the budget and time they have available to them.
You said it all.
To me it all boils down to the fact that Asians have more of a community minded approach to society where the individual has to sacrifice themselves for the common good/a shared vision whereas westerners are individualists who'd prefer society to defer to their wishes instead of the other way around. Both have advantages and flaws, but for sure they work harder in Asia and thus are able to do stuff we can't

That kind of intense focus on mastery of a chosen domain is commonplace in Japan.
Don't they have a word for something you did more than 10.000 times or something ?
Can't seem to find it online so i might be pulling it out of my ass, but i remember something about the samurai having a specific word for doing thousands and thousands of blade strokes which later came into general usage as a synonym of mastery...

It took such a tool on him he wanted to leave the franchise forever
TFYu45R.jpeg

Toll*
Branded Branded :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Hugare

Yeah, and wages can be shockingly low for people involved in creating such popular products. You'd think that talented people would be able to sidestep those rigid hierarchies and break out on their own, adjusting the balance of power, but while there is the whole doujin scene there it's nothing like the opportunities in the West for going independent. Part of it is cultural, I think, where people over there tend to be more comfortable working within a structured system, and they're very introverted so self-promotion is a tough proposition. Still, it feels like these popular mangaka and other creators should have incredible leverage to dictate good terms for themselves, but instead they're working themselves to death while the big publishers rake in profit.
Its totally cultural, I believe

Separate the staff in teams A and B, so one of them will always be working on an anime for the next season. Finishing an episode on the day its going to air is just nuts and completely irresponsible.

I feel like japanese culture thinks that overworking is necessary in order to delivery an excellent product. Otherwise they would always feel like they could have done more.

I watched the anime director one last week. Originally I thought "Finally, someone in Japan that sleeps in past 9am. Dude must be pretty high up the food chain there and at least have decent hours." Then realized that he worked from the moment he woke up until like 3am. Yikes.

It briefly showed him interacting with his wife and pet at the beginning - damn, imagine being married to someone and only seeing them 10 minutes a day or less.

Easy to undertand why birthrate is so low in Japan, huh

Read somewhere that Oda only took a break from One Piece when the time skip happened. After Lord knows how many chapters.

And I dont know if he ever had another break since then.

Dude lives and breathes for his work. Which is insane.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

The work culture in Japan is going to destroy the county. No time for family. No time for yourself. It is reflected in the games they make. Characters always working super hard, always training, yet it is never enough.
I remember from my time teaching their a few years back, they would make the kids prepare endlessly under the absolutely sweltering summer heat for sports day. The kids would have to do a military style march and even when it looked like they'd perfected it they made them do it, again and again and again lol. As you say they always strive for perfection and I won't disagree with the principle as it does show in their society where public services are orderly and very efficient. Whether you're a restaurant worker or boss of a successful company the pride and dilligence is ingrained in staff more than it is in the West.

But there is a limit which I think breaks a lot of people in Japan and turns them into complete worker drones and this is causing them problems.

However, I do think we can learn from their education as it puts teamwork and moral values at the heart of it.

They just take certain things too far and are slow to adapt (for better or worse).

Last edited:

Branded

You said it all.
To me it all boils down to the fact that Asians have more of a community minded approach to society where the individual has to sacrifice themselves for the common good/a shared vision whereas westerners are individualists who'd prefer society to defer to their wishes instead of the other way around. Both have advantages and flaws, but for sure they work harder in Asia and thus are able to do stuff we can't

Don't they have a word for something you did more than 10.000 times or something ?
Can't seem to find it online so i might be pulling it out of my ass, but i remember something about the samurai having a specific word for doing thousands and thousands of blade strokes which later came into general usage as a synonym of mastery...

TFYu45R.jpeg

Toll*
Branded Branded :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Why did you @ me?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why did you @ me?
Dude your very first post on the site after registering was to grammar nazi someone. Don't be surprised when you become the site's new grammar nazi mascot.

Codes 208

He worked for over 10 years non stop on DBZ. It took such a tool on him he wanted to leave the franchise forever until they butchered his life work with Evolution.
I find it absolutely hilarious how the existence of evolution was part of why he said “hold my hetap” and made battle of gods

That and the clamoring for more dbz likely influenced him to come back.

Man, He will be missed

Toots

Gold Member
Why did you @ me?
Cause you're not weckinball 🤷‍♀️

Also i like your grammar correcting ways,. As batman and my granddad said "good grammar is essential".
So im trying to give you a brand. Here's my card

talent agency sign GIF by South Park

(But really i think grammar is very important and good written expression is the proof of a coherent mind.)

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Japanese animator works too hard yet get paid too low. Saw a video said their salary is lower than a student part time job.

Yes, it's the sort of thing that makes Japan look incredibly dystopian.

"NAFCA surveyed 323 anime staff, of which 191 (59%) were animators, with 44 unit directors (13.6%), the latter responsible for a divisible unit of production, such as an opening or ending song, or an entire episode/part of a film. The number also included 35 production staff (10.8%), 27 character/mechanical designers (8.4%), 23 voice actors (7.1%), 20 directors, 15 working in coloring, 14 in art, 14 in cinematography, 11 in CG, 10 in sound and 4 screenwriters. NAFCA's data concluded that the overall median hourly wage was 1,111 yen (US$7.33 per hour), with 14% making around only $5.23 hourly. The income report excluded voice actors for this segment, adding that how voice actors work in the anime industry sets them apart from other professions. The report organizers plan a future survey specific to voice actors in the future."

$7/hour median for an insane grind as educated professionals in the fourth biggest economy in the world, making entertainment products that millions of people watch worldwide.

Zathalus

Yes, it's the sort of thing that makes Japan look incredibly dystopian.

"NAFCA surveyed 323 anime staff, of which 191 (59%) were animators, with 44 unit directors (13.6%), the latter responsible for a divisible unit of production, such as an opening or ending song, or an entire episode/part of a film. The number also included 35 production staff (10.8%), 27 character/mechanical designers (8.4%), 23 voice actors (7.1%), 20 directors, 15 working in coloring, 14 in art, 14 in cinematography, 11 in CG, 10 in sound and 4 screenwriters. NAFCA's data concluded that the overall median hourly wage was 1,111 yen (US$7.33 per hour), with 14% making around only $5.23 hourly. The income report excluded voice actors for this segment, adding that how voice actors work in the anime industry sets them apart from other professions. The report organizers plan a future survey specific to voice actors in the future."

$7/hour median for an insane grind as educated professionals in the fourth biggest economy in the world, making entertainment products that millions of people watch worldwide.
$7/hour is insane, you can basically triple that working as a sales assistant at my local Aldi. As you said, how on earth does this fly for an educated professional in Japan? I’m assuming that it is the industry taking advantage of the passion some people have for the subject matter. If I’m not mistaken the same thing happens in the video game industry, wages are lower then what you can get from other industries but people put up with it because working on video games is way cooler then coding a banking app.

Paasei

His videos are great. Their work ethic is something else. Not saying it’s good or bad, but I can say it would not be my cup of tea. It’s a good way to look into regular life of Japanese people.

Top Bottom