• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight |OT| (PS4/PC) Not Dying Light

zebwinz

I was pretty interested in this game until Richard Mitchell ripped it apart on the Joystiq podcast. To try and sum up his review impressions: Graphics are bad, "combat" mechanic isn't fun and doesn't make sense (why are there glow sticks and road flares inside a hospital) and the story is all full of gaping holes and bad writing.

Cudder

For 10€ I think I will buy it, but most of the gameplay we have seen yet didnt looked that good.

Would rather spend the money on the Outlast DLC, but it seems, that this wont come this month anyome...

I believe Whistleblower is next week. Lots of good stuff for horror gamers in the near future.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I believe Whistleblower is next week. Lots of good stuff for horror gamers in the near future.

Do you have any further information on this, like the price and something? If you want, you can send me a DM, I dont want to derail this thread.

Lynq

Banned
The atmosphere can be really great, mostly thanks to good sound design. Graphics definitely are not "bad". Lightning looks cool.

There's no combat, you just light a flare to make ghosts dissapear. That's not really fighting... Also, that's not bad. It's actually a nice mechanic. And often you have only 1 or 2 flares (4 max) so you aren't sure if it's OK to use one, and when you have none you're really worried.

Procedurally generated levels are interesting, you can even visit totally different parts of hospital in second playthrough.

BUT

The gameplay is a little weird. You have to unlock magical door with artifact. You do that, you're going to next location where you have to unlock magical door again... and again... and again. You can just run all the time, just to check out where the door are, no reason to walk slowly. No puzzles, you just have to turn a valve 2 times or push a box to climb on it.

And FOV... Oh god, why. I'm not usually sensitive to low FOV, but holy molly, it must be really low if I notice it. There's no slider, it's just set in stone. I had to play in windowed mode 720p, because my eyes were in pain.

Also - I didn't like that heroine is saying stupid things from time to time (not too often fortunately). "Oh my god, what was that?", "Hello...?" or some things like these - it totally breaks the immersion. I like silent protagonists in horror games.

It's definitely not shit. Just some weird development decisions.

Aces&Eights

Nice OT man. Looking forward for more of this game to come out.

I want to be like you and be excited for this. Unfortunately, I'm a big baby. Creepy dolls and insane asylums and walking around in darkness with just the glow of a cell phone? Nope.

Manus

Is this the game that is being written by Jessica Chobot? If so it's making me hesitant on wanting to pick it up. Gameplay looks sorta decent though.

takoyaki

I'm really interested in this game, but boy, every single time I hear the game's title, my mind just wanders off to a place where it tries to recall which of these 3 games is which:

daylight-logo3qpas.jpg

deadlight_logo_black_2poge.png

dying_light_logovxpca.jpg

Perfect comparison:

mcdermott-mulroney1qlby.jpg

jamie-foxx-dylan-mcde2rb4p.jpg

I was pretty interested in this game until Richard Mitchell ripped it apart on the Joystiq podcast. To try and sum up his review impressions: Graphics are bad, "combat" mechanic isn't fun and doesn't make sense (why are there glow sticks and road flares inside a hospital) and the story is all full of gaping holes and bad writing.

Is this the game that is being written by Jessica Chobot? If so it's making me hesitant on wanting to pick it up. Gameplay looks sorta decent though.

gzl2Q14.gif

JESSICA CHOBOT: STEPPING INTO DAYLIGHT

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thank you for the title. Also, what's the difference between this and Outlast?

Outlast is more physical. The extent of the "combat" is lighting a flare in this. This is more of a 3D pixel hunt game. More like Gone Home with an extra button press, though with nowhere near the story hooks of that game.

Take Slender and mix it with Gone Home and you have this. It's really nothing like Outlast.

Cudder

Outlast is more physical. The extent of the "combat" is lighting a flare in this. This is more of a 3D pixel hunt game. More like Gone Home with an extra button press, though with nowhere near the story hooks of that game.

Take Slender and mix it with Gone Home and you have this. It's really nothing like Outlast.

How scary is it, and how scary did you find Outlast? My first time through Outlast was pretty good. Way more jump scares, but I still enjoyed it. Safe to say if you liked Outlast you'll like this?

Thank you.

ypo

God damn devs, mimicking and applying it everywhere of a shitty side effect of technology is not a good thing.

Lynq

Banned
How scary is it, and how scary did you find Outlast? My first time through Outlast was pretty good. Way more jump scares, but I still enjoyed it. Safe to say if you liked Outlast you'll like this?

No.

In Outlast you had this feeling "I must be quiet or something/someone will hear me...". In Daylight you know you can just run to find the door and the key, because nothing reacts to the noise you make.

Outlast had more puzzles. I know they were really simple - turn this, do that, then do something else. In Daylight you are only opening magical door by finding artefacts. And you sometime push the button to open door or turn a valve.

But the sound desing is great, builds really nice atmosphere.

WanderingWind

Totally different games. Not sure if comparing them works. I'm know they're both first person horror titles, but that's about the only real similarity.

It is not scary, but has a couple of jumps due to surprises.

raebodep

That Twitch feature sounds pretty cool, hopefully it doesn't backfire.

What could go wrong?

meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

I got this free with my video card but I think I'll wait for the rift to play it.

Dambrosi

Banned
Got this for $5 from a Hookups trader. Seems like a fair price, if this thread is any indication.

Though I didn't know it was going to be that cheap at launch. I thought it was gonna be $30 or similar.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got this for $5 from a Hookups trader. Seems like a fair price, if this thread is any indication.

Though I didn't know it was going to be that cheap at launch. I thought it was gonna be $30 or similar.

Yeah, if I'd pre-ordered the game with the intention of actually playing it I'd probably be regretting my decision, even though I paid $6.

Did a entire walkthrough on my youtube channel. Can't say what I would review it till Tuesday but I'd highly recommend waiting for reviews. That's all I'm going to say. If you want to see my walkthrough, it's still on my main page. Www.YouTube.com/slasherjpc. I'm on my phone othewise I'd link the actual video.

How is it possible to do walkthroughs when it's different every time? Or is that not how it works?

I don't mind it being 2 hours if the levels change every time.

I got this game free with a my graphics card(yep a 9.99 game with a 200 something dollar card woohoo)....I am kind of looking forward to it though. Daylight, Dying light, Dead light..MAKE IT STOP

Walkthroughs are specifically mentioned as a no-go. Better safe than sorry, man.

So what is the difference between a full let's play and a walkthrough? Cause it states

"
· Can I stream this game right now?

· Can I talk about my impressions of the game?

· Wait, really?

· Can I monetize the videos?

· Can I post a Let’s Play of it to YouTube or some other video site?

"

All which says yes to. A rote walkthrough which it mentions are not allowed along with reviews. Rote meaning " mechanical or habitual repetition of something to be learned."

Just trying to get some clarification on this cause that's just confusing now at this point. Also Atlus themselves tweeted out one of my videos on it.

WanderingWind

It's your name attached to it. Do what you want. I think you know that he asked very politely and gave out very lenient restrictions. It's just a few hours.

EDIT: Well, if Atlus tweeted your vid, guess that's it then.

$10, that's not bad. I'll give it a try if impressions are good. I need another 3D game on Ps4 although I wonder how good it will look, 3D on my TV isn't so hot when everything's dark.

Top Bottom