• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight |OT| (PS4/PC) Not Dying Light

whitehawk

Banned
Might have to get this based on reviews + 3D impressions. I love 3D, so if it worked well it will probably push me into getting it.

Hawk SE

My review of Daylight on Saving Content, a 2 out of 5:

"Daylight begins abruptly, with absolutely no setup to the goings on. What you do know, is that you are Sarah. She has a mystery to solve, her life. A strange man by the name of Dr. Mercer, who sounds like a low-rent Vincent Price, calls you frequently as you discover new things in the environment. Early on, arcane writings appear on your arms as you work to unravel the mystery. In concept, the story is somewhat interesting. In practice however, it’s a very clichéd tale with trite, one-sided dialogue as Sarah mainly talks to herself, or Dr. Mercer just talking to her. Never do they speak in open dialogue to one another, which is strange. Sarah’s external thoughts come off very weak and often repeats, suggesting to the player when they should be scared of something. Sarah doesn’t properly react to the supernatural happenings, and usually says something without anything actually happening in-game."

djshauny

Banned
The latest videos i watched totally threw me off the hype train

Looks dull and damn boring imo

Yep. I was thinking the same thing.

Dont think ill bother with it.

The only horor games im looking foward to are The Evil Within and the new Alien game thats coming out this year. :)

Arttemis

I don't think videos of any highly atmospheric horror game do it justice, so I'm definitely interested in trying this game out.

I reeeeeeeeeally wish more games were procedurally generated, or at least had secondary game modes that are in addition to a predefined campaign. For whatever reason, those are the only games I've been able to get into this year (Diablo 3, FTL, Don't Starve, Path of Exile, Banished, Rogue Legacy).

Edit - Oh yeah, isn't the Alien game going to be procedurally generated as well? Hell yes! Two awesome looking horror games with potentially infinite replayability!

my big issue is 2 hours and little replayability. PS plus discount or not it sounds like a one playthrough and you done game, while that in itself isnt bad, the fact its 2 hours is

RedAssedApe

Banned
my big issue is 2 hours and little replayability. PS plus discount or not it sounds like a one playthrough and you done game, while that in itself isnt bad, the fact its 2 hours is

seems like they thought the randomly generated thing would help with that...but i guess its not (at least according to the reviews)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
230840_2014-04-30_000jok0v.png

all my nope

Calabi

Game seems kind of broke for me. 360 controller support isnt there, you can move around but cant do anything else and all button prompts are for the pc no controller allowed I suppose.

The performance is really bad on my computer, crappy graphics card I guess, GTX 460. But even when I lower the settings all the way down whenever I turn just enough the framerate plummets. Resolution Scaling I'm not sure what exactly that is but the graphics seem weird blurry its hard to figure out what settings to use. I may have to leave it till its working a bit better.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Game seems kind of broke for me. 360 controller support isnt there, you can move around but cant do anything else and all button prompts are for the pc no controller allowed I suppose.

The performance is really bad on my computer, crappy graphics card I guess, GTX 460. But even when I lower the settings all the way down whenever I turn just enough the framerate plummets. Resolution Scaling I'm not sure what exactly that is but the graphics seem weird blurry its hard to figure out what settings to use. I may have to leave it till its working a bit better.

I'm getting some insane stuttering issues on my rig as well, I've turned down a lot and it doesn't seem to help.

Any PS4 owners try this out on Twitch yet? I'd like to hear impressions re: how much the Twitch chat integration/participation adds to your playthrough. I'm glad the PS+ discount to $10 will last for 2 weeks. Plenty of time to see a fair number of people try it out.

I don't think videos of any highly atmospheric horror game do it justice, so I'm definitely interested in trying this game out.

I reeeeeeeeeally wish more games were procedurally generated, or at least had secondary game modes that are in addition to a predefined campaign. For whatever reason, those are the only games I've been able to get into this year (Diablo 3, FTL, Don't Starve, Path of Exile, Banished, Rogue Legacy).

Edit - Oh yeah, isn't the Alien game going to be procedurally generated as well? Hell yes! Two awesome looking horror games with potentially infinite replayability!

If you can play this game more then three times and not get bored. Power to you. I'd be curious to know if anyone can do that.

You can't really expect people to want to replay a game without giving them incentives to, imho. It has to be built into your game design.

I was curious about this game but it looks like sadly they were looking to cash in on the horror craze.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I love that you can totally foil the spirit by
not looking at it when you hear it. It just despawns and leaves after a few seconds.

I'm not gonna lie, this game is trash.

binhoker

Banned
Is this the game written by olivia munn's stunt double? Who'd would have thought the saw guys would deliver a sub standard horror experience?

Yikes, these reviews are pretty damning. I was ready to pull the trigger in the PS Store earlier, but the PS+ discount wasn't on so I figured to wait.

I'll just completely hold off, then. I'd have to see a seriously praising review to change my mind now.

Cudder

Yikes, these reviews are pretty damning. I was ready to pull the trigger in the PS Store earlier, but the PS+ discount wasn't on so I figured to wait.

I'll just completely hold off, then. I'd have to see a seriously praising review to change my mind now.

Reviews were pretty disappointing, yeah, but I still picked it up. 10$ is pretty much impulse purchase territory. Besides, even if it is sub par, it's not like I've never paid that much for a bad movie before.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus the Gamespot livestream is brutal, they're all bored out of their minds and they just cut the game short because the guy playing really didn't want to play anymore.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Chromatic Aberarration fix/removal

Found a fix for the Aborration. find the ConsoleVariables.ini in Daylight\Engine\Config

and find the r.scenefringe line and change to value to look like this

; 0.0-5.0f amount of Chromatic Aberarration default for Lima is 0.8f
r.SceneFringeIntensity=0.0

Also, set the imagegrain to 0.0, motionblur quality to 0, set the imagegrain to 0.0 and motionblur quality to 0

FOV fix

FOV:
in Engine\Config\BaseInput

locate the GeneralBindings section and relace with this:

--- General bindings
+ExecBindings=(Key=Pause,Command="Pause")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F11,Command="LevelEditor.ToggleImmersive")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F11,Command="MainFrame.ToggleFullscreen",Shift=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=B,Command="ToggleSpeaking true | OnRelease ToggleSpeaking false")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F1,Command="ShowMouseCursor",Shift=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=F1,Command="viewmode wireframe", bIgnoreShift=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=F2,Command="viewmode unlit")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F3,Command="viewmode lit")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F4,Command="viewmode detaillighting")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F5,Command="viewmode shadercomplexity")
+ExecBindings=(Key=F9,Command="shot")
+ExecBindings=(Key=Period,Command="RECOMPILESHADERS CHANGED",Control=True,Shift=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=Comma,Command="PROFILEGPU",Control=True,Shift=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=Escape,Command="CloseEditorViewport")
+ExecBindings=(Key=Enter,Command="TOGGLE_FULLSCREEN",Alt=True)
+ExecBindings=(Key=F10,Command="FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

change the FOV number to whatever you choose

credit goes to Dirty Dan.

I'm not enjoying this game at all so far.

Watched Jim Sterling's Twitch stream today.
Can't say it looked very scary, tbh.

What is the length of the game? And does anyone have any idea of the length of the Outlast DLC? Both are around $9.00

Outlast was f'in scary to me, have to play a chapter at a time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Watched Jim Sterling's Twitch stream today.
Can't say it looked very scary, tbh.

What is the length of the game? And does anyone have any idea of the length of the Outlast DLC? Both are around $9.00

Outlast was f'in scary to me, have to play a chapter at a time.

Steam playtime is 3 hours for me but I spent a chunk of that afk. Average playtime seems to be 2 hours to 1.5 hours, one person claimed that by holding down the run key they were able to beat the whole thing in 35 minutes.

Calabi

I'm glad there's a fix for the chromatic blurry visuals, I couldnt play it like that for long its almost painful to my eyes.

I cant remap the key's either so I cant play it till they fix that as I use an unconventional keymapping.

Steam playtime is 3 hours for me but I spent a chunk of that afk. Average playtime seems to be 2 hours to 1.5 hours, one person claimed that by holding down the run key they were able to beat the whole thing in 35 minutes.

Not to mention the majorty of your time is spent reading notes. Seriously.

Top Bottom