• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC announces ‘The Lazarus Contract’, Titans Family comic crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

As DC Rebirth continues, more mysteries about its hidden history are being answered, and one of the biggest is that of Deathstroke‘s relationship to the former Teen Titans. This May, Deathstroke, Titans, and Teen Titans will crossover for a four-part event titled “The Lazarus Contract,” as Slade Wilson targets the returned Wally West as part of an effort to resurrect his son Grant, aka the original Ravager.

teen_titans_8fia77.jpg

The event is written jointly by Dan Abnett, Benjamin Percy, and Christopher Priest, and features art by Brett Booth, Khoi Pham, Carlo Pagulayan and Paul Pelletier. The name of the crossover brings to mind the famous “Judas Contract” storyline from Marv Wolfman and George Perez‘s New Teen Titans, which saw Deathstroke try to bring down the Titans from within, and it seems key answers may be found in the history of Deathstroke and the Titans.

When ComicsAlliance spoke to Christopher Priest last year, he mentioned that an upcoming crossover would detail the origins of both Deathstroke and Nightwing’s team of Titans, which so far has been a mystery due to larger continuity issues regarding the manipulation of the timestream. It’s been hinted that The Titans’ history has something to do with Dr. Manhattan’s meddling, so this crossover may contain big revelations for the future of the DC Universe.

More covers and solicits at the link.

Slade vs all Titans? I'd read that.

That art could be better

Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see Slade try to take down Titans that most of which can body him individually

This version of Wally went Speed Force and back. I'm just saying, I smell Identity Crisis

Slayven

aka the original Ravager.
I am howling with laughter
That art could be better

Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see Slade try to take down Titans that most of which can body him individually

This version of Wally went Speed Force and back. I'm just saying, I smell Identity Crisis

Remember when he took out Impulse. literally blew his knew cap off

That art could be better

Looks like he'll steal some speed for an issue or two.

kmfdmpig

This fairly small and contained type of event seems to work better, IMO. It's less disruptive to characters that are on the periphery and tells the story quickly which is nice.

Considering how drastically different Priest's Deathstroke is from the rest of the DC books, this is going to be weird. I dropped Titans early on but Teen Titans has been pretty good so far.

Everyone should read Deatstroke btw.

Afrodium

Banned
This fairly small and contained type of event seems to work better, IMO. It's less disruptive to characters that are on the periphery and tells the story quickly which is nice.

Monster Men was great and there's a small Superman crossover coming soon. I much prefer this style compared to Marvel's frequent line-wide events.

This and Monster Men are crossovers, not events. Marvel does those too, they just do too many events

DC has a big ol' event coming soon but we will see how tie-in heavy it is. That is the biggest problem with events.

Priest's Deathsroke has already ridiculed and manipulated Supes, Batman and the Creeper. He can handle the Titans even without an Identity Crisis scenario. We just have to hope that Priest is writing the inevitable fight scene and not Abnett, who has kind of lost it these last few years.

This and Monster Men are crossovers, not events. Marvel does those too, they just do too many events

DC has a big ol' event coming soon but we will see how tie-in heavy it is. That is the biggest problem with events.
And whether or not it's worth reading, which is, let's be real, the BIG problem with most events.

I'm in. I imagine I should read Titans, as I'm up to date with teen titans and deathstroke. Was never interested in the members or knew them, guess I'll give it a chance.

And whether or not it's worth reading, which is, let's be real, the BIG problem with most events.

True, but I still think this concern is secondary to tie-in invasion. Even when an event is great, if it disrupts a dozen great books with obligatory, bad tie-ins, it's a net loss. I would prefer a bad event that doesn't get all up in my face in my other pulls.

Considering how drastically different Priest's Deathstroke is from the rest of the DC books, this is going to be weird. I dropped Titans early on but Teen Titans has been pretty good so far.

Yeah Priest's Deathstroke was one of the titles that stood out to me when they announced the creative teams and it does not disappoint. I love how he's not writing Deathstroke in line the popular anti-hero trend, his Slade Wilson is a full on, no apologies villain.

Deathstroke is a better book when he's interacting with the other big DC characters, so this will probably be good for it

Unless the Dr. Manhattan stuff gets too wacky, I guess

Yeah Priest's Deathstroke was one of the titles that stood out to me when they announced the creative teams and it does not disappoint. I love how he's not writing Deathstroke in line the popular anti-hero trend, his Slade Wilson is a full on, no apologies villain.

And possibly the worst DC dad, which is quite a feat.

And possibly the worst DC dad, which is quite a feat.

I dunno. Is he worse than Zor-El?

"I love you so much I want to murder everything you've grown to love to fuel my zombie city. Family bonding! I even brought your mom! I mean sure, it's her corpse reanimated by cyber bits, but still!"

Wrong, how many people love their children enough to call hits on them just to spend time with them and hover over them menacingly when they are sleep?

Poor Rose. And Jericho is going to have a rough time once Slade finds out about the shit he just pulled.

I dunno. Is he worse than Zor-El?

"I love you so much I want to murder everything you've grown to love to fuel my zombie city. Family bonding! I even brought your mom! I mean sure, it's her corpse reanimated by cyber bits, but still!"

I dropped Supergirl a couple of issues ago. Are we 100% certain that he's the real Zor-El and hasn't been tampered with or is an evil clone or something?

I expected something like this would be coming given the characters in all the books. I'm definitely interested in this. Especially because Deathstroke and Titans are two of DC's best books in the Rebirth era.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I expected something like this would be coming given the characters in all the books. I'm definitely interested in this. Especially because Deathstroke and Titans are two of DC's best books in the Rebirth era.

You should add New Superman to this too for big characters outside the main trinity. If no ones read new superman they need to highly recommended.

Teen Titans just started and it's already getting dragged into a crossover. Just like the last version. lol

I don't think anyone should be surprised, though. Crossovers sell comics. I expect it to be shit, though if the last few Titans related crossovers are anything to go by.

The May issue with be Teen Titans will be #8 so that's time for two small arcs. Not bad by modern standards.
I guess. I still feel like Teen Titans hasn't had enough time to stretch it's legs and establish itself.
I don't think anyone should be surprised, though. Crossovers sell comics. I expect it to be shit, though if the last few Titans related crossovers are anything to go by.

DC's crossovers are short and to the point unlike Marvel. Not all of them are great but it's less painful then having to spend almost an entire year of a drawn out story that is going nowhere.

You should add New Superman to this too for big characters outside the main trinity. If no ones read new superman they need to highly recommended.

Yeah, New Super-Man is another really strong book. Hopefully it's involvement in that Superman event coming up will get some more people to check it out.

If this is just a single month-long crossover live Monster Men or Robin War, then we will be fine.
It is. 1 Deathstroke, 1 Titans, 1 Teen Titans and 1 annual and it's done. Guessing a Wonder Woman crossover is next(maybe bringing back a Wonder Girl or giving someone new the name?)unless the year's event starts first.

DC's crossovers are short and to the point unlike Marvel. Not all of them are great but it's less painful then having to spend almost an entire year of a drawn out story that is going nowhere.

They're not as bad, but the Teen Titans comics tend to suffer because of crossovers, so I can't say I'm the biggest fan of them, of course.

Yeah, but in interviews before Deathstroke Rebirth even came out he mentioned a crossover coming down the line that was fun and they'd been planning for...it seems like the family crossovers work pretty well so far.

Hmm. I'll check out the Rebirth issue. It sounded quite derivative but then there was an article I read about it recently which suggest I was looking at it all wrong :/

It is. 1 Deathstroke, 1 Titans, 1 Teen Titans and 1 annual and it's done. Guessing a Wonder Woman crossover is next(maybe bringing back a Wonder Girl or giving someone new the name?)unless the year's event starts first.

Is wonder girl the younger version of Diana?

I dropped Supergirl a couple of issues ago. Are we 100% certain that he's the real Zor-El and hasn't been tampered with or is an evil clone or something?
As of right now, Kara took down the city and it sank just off the coast of Whatsitsfuck City. The DEO managed to take Zor-El's presumably comatose body and put it in a stasis tank, while a research team went down to explore the city, the team having been lead by Hank Henshaw. There hasn't been any evidence to the contrary of it being the real Zor-El.

Wonder Woman doesn't have any family titles to crossover with lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stops reading DC for 8 months....

and now there are TWO wallys? Like, pre-nu 52 Wally and black Wally?

The fuck did they explain that? With some Dr. Manhattan BS?

DC, where editorial won't let anyone make a decision that lasts 3 months.

Pre-Flashpoint Wally came back in Rebirth. His return was the core focal point, while New 52 Wally never left. This has been part of the DC status quo since June of 2016. Or July. I can't rightly recall which.

MartyStu

The Wallys are cousins. They were both named after a shared Grandfather I think.

It was actually one of the smoothest retcons I have ever seen in terms of execution. Johns actually earned my respect with how smooth it was.

The Titans/Teen Titans distinction helps keep both characters as active.

The Wallys are cousins. They were both named after a shared Grandfather I think.

It was actually one of the smoothest retcons I have ever seen in terms of execution. Johns actually earned my respect with how smooth it was.

The Titans/Teen Titans distinction helps keep both characters as active.

I didn't actually know that was the retcon. What book was that in? I don't remember it being in Rebirth.

Machine

Priest's Deathsroke has already ridiculed and manipulated Supes, Batman and the Creeper.

I was happy to see that they reverted to the older version of the Creeper. The nu-52 "oni" version was an unnecessary and stupid re-interpretation of the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom