• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Under level 20 with my controller, I was doing good in PvP. Ever since I've been in the later levels... I'm meh - is there a correct 'way' to go about it as a controller? Maybe I've been focusing on Vitalization and Precision too much?

JWong

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Under level 20 with my controller, I was doing good in PvP. Ever since I've been in the later levels... I'm meh - is there a correct 'way' to go about it as a controller? Maybe I've been focusing on Vitalization and Precision too much?
What kind of power?

Vit is good for power battery. Not really the best PVP stat. Do you have any dominance? That's what makes your control durations much longer.

Hawk269

Downloaded the new updates for PS3 and 5 min into the game I get my FIRST EVER game freeze on my PS3. I am hoping this is just a one time thing, but never had ANY game freeze on me and it is odd that it did this right after the patch.

DY_nasty

The game has freezed twice on me so far. Hasn't happened post-patch though... yet.

New Icons in the faster menu make me happy.
JWong said:
What kind of power?

Vit is good for power battery. Not really the best PVP stat. Do you have any dominance? That's what makes your control durations much longer.
I'm stuck between Telekinesis and Illusion. The biggest issue I have is with Mass Terror, Grandeur, and Mass Levitation. Neither seems to work as good as advertised. I tried a mashup of the two branches last night, didn't work of course. Cryokinesis works great when it actually traps. I found that you can freeze guys then hit another guy who isn't frozen with the TK and it'll lift him AND sling a couple of frozen enemies at him. Its nice, but its hardly reliable. Being able to blow up trapped/rooted enemies on command is a nice perk too, but its too draining on powers to do it alone and most people don't use those types of powers in groups that often (effectively).

The Telekinesis branch feels like a more high risk/high reward of the two, but it comes with better defensive powers and the group power heal. Also, it has a lot more trapping powers. Illusions you can bank on a lot more... The power that prevents enemy healing is a huge plus to have in the back pocket and the Mass Hysteria Supercharge is a gamechanger in every scenario.

Fuck... I think I just sold myself on Illusions again. Its just that Disguise is SO pointless...

hermit7

Looking forward to leveling my healer to 30 so I can run some good Duos.

Did the patch open the trade system as well today?

Quagm1r3

So what are the good wonder woman iconic powers? I picked up Word of Power only to realize that it's a 3 second cast time for a +60 heal. What a waste of a point.

hermit7

Quagm1r3 said:
So what are the good wonder woman iconic powers? I picked up Word of Power only to realize that it's a 3 second cast time for a +60 heal. What a waste of a point.
Respec I did it because I was displeased with the way in which my character was heading.

icechai

DY_nasty said:
Fuck... I think I just sold myself on Illusions again. Its just that Disguise is SO pointless...

are you on a PVE server? Cuz for PVP you just super jump/fly/glide above someone, disguise so you fall down next to them, stun them then whack em for a super crit opener, throw on grandeur to soak up their attacks while you combo, and imbue your weapon with the illusion powa, stun/destroy. Any big attack, reflect pain (best skill for mentalist).

the psychic ninja stars also break objects faster than any other method, good for boss fights (like the moon alert).

DY_nasty

I think I may end up adopting the staff.
Quagm1r3 said:
Yeah... Its not all that good. You pretty much have to pray for critical heal.

The deflection skill is okay. If you don't have any other defensive options, its okay for a huge boost -brief- boost in defense.
icechai said:
are you on a PVE server? Cuz for PVP you just super jump/fly/glide above someone, disguise so you fall down next to them, stun them then whack em for a super crit opener, throw on grandeur to soak up their attacks while you combo, and imbue your weapon with the illusion powa, stun/destroy. Any big attack, reflect pain (best skill for mentalist).

the psychic ninja stars also break objects faster than any other method, good for boss fights (like the moon alert).
Big help, thanks.

A lot of my issues were trying to find a proper loadout. I was using something similar to that before but I started to overthink a few things (and put faith into powers that I didn't need). I love Mass Hysteria, but I may end up having to drop it for a more practical power set.

MGrant

For PVE with my mentalist controller, I start every fight against multiple mobs with Psychic Blades and Telekinesis. This starts a stacked (I think?) regen of power, which will keep you in action. Then, if they are susceptible, I hit them with Cryokinesis, which usually gets me one or two freezes. Blast the frozen guys with Pyrokinesis for some nice aoe damage. These are your main powers versus normal mobs.

Versus bosses, I have Phantom Flames on the bar so I can stack it with Pyrokinesis for its debuffs and damage over time. And of course Grandeur is on there: it's the best shield power in my experience.

DY_nasty

MGrant said:
For PVE with my mentalist controller, I start every fight against multiple mobs with Psychic Blades and Telekinesis. This starts a stacked (I think?) regen of power, which will keep you in action. Then, if they are susceptible, I hit them with Cryokinesis, which usually gets me one or two freezes. Blast the frozen guys with Pyrokinesis for some nice aoe damage. These are your main powers versus normal mobs.

Versus bosses, I have Phantom Flames on the bar so I can stack it with Pyrokinesis for its debuffs and damage over time. And of course Grandeur is on there: it's the best shield power in my experience.
PvE I do okay for the most part.

You're mixing branches too? Have you tried TK Shield compared to Grandeur yet? Aside from the threat down from Grandeur, you think its better?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welp, I just tried the mics again on PS3 and they are not working. Not even with the same friend I was playing with earlier. And I have no idea how to switch channels even though I found the options in the social tab. If they can't fix the mics, I'm not buying another month. This is unacceptable. It's already a slight inconvenience to have to turn the mic on prior to even booting up the game. It's very frustrating since communication is so important in a game like this.

UFRA

LiquidMetal14 said:
Welp, I just tried the mics again on PS3 and they are not working. Not even with the same friend I was playing with earlier. And I have no idea how to switch channels even though I found the options in the social tab. If they can't fix the mics, I'm not buying another month. This is unacceptable. It's already a slight inconvenience to have to turn the mic on prior to even booting up the game. It's very frustrating since communication is so important in a game like this.

AMEN BROTHER

LiquidMetal14

I went on the official forums with this semi long write up and questions I had for this supposed channel trick all went without no action since it successfully posted but I cannot see it on the forum at all. That frustrated me to no end. I want to ask the questions but can't even see my thread on the forum, what a joke.

I want to at least ask how and what kind of commands I have to type on the dialog box and can't even do that. I can post in threads but can't post threads at all.

That alone elevates my already patience stripped moral with this game. This needs to be fixed soon. I don't mean 2 weeks from now soon, I mean with in the next week soon. 60 dollar beta we paid for here. So fun and I want to be here for the long run but this mic issue is that detrimental to us 4 here on the PS3.

I can't even find this supposed list of helpful things to do with your router for this to work. And no, I will not plug my modem directly into my PS3 to play this. I shouldn't have to bring my home/wireless network to its knees just to accommodate this game as it's been confirmed that a direct connection works for this game.

Now we have this thing where the server loads are high all the time since people want to play but that makes the mic issued pop up more. What kind of programming or method are these guys using? I've never had this issue with a game and mics. Not like this. CoD has tens of thousands on all the time, maybe even hundreds of thousands. I have never had issues with games like that. I know these aren't MMO's but come on, this is just not acceptable by any means.

Liberty4all

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

My buddies and I have been using Live parties when playing DCUO ... We remarked how sad it is that we have to use live just to have stable voice on a PS3 game.

LiquidMetal14

Bamelin said:
My buddies and I have been using Live parties when playing DCUO ... We remarked how sad it is that we have to use live just to have stable voice on a PS3 game.
It's terrible. Should not be having any issues like this and this is the only game which has given us this much problems. Not acceptable.

MGrant

DY_nasty said:
PvE I do okay for the most part.

You're mixing branches too? Have you tried TK Shield compared to Grandeur yet? Aside from the threat down from Grandeur, you think its better?

I would try sticking to one branch, but there are some problems with doing that, namely broken or useless powers. Psychic Empowerment currently does nothing, which is really disappointing for anyone trying to do battery for their group. Mass Terror and Mass Levitate are really underwhelming, stunning for a fraction of the time that Phantom Flames and Telekinesis stun for. Thought Bubble is outclassed by Cryokinesis, which has a larger AoE. So with only a handful of decent/working controller powers per tree, I just went with both.

As far as the shields go, there are actually a few viable shields. I like Grandeur for the threat down + invulnerability, despite its shorter duration. I mainly use it in situations where the tank has lost aggro, and it buys just enough time for him to get it back. TK Shield is good as well, and has a longer duration, but I find without the threat down there's a risk for it just breaking and leaving me screwed and still aggro'd. I actually need to do some more experiments with Reflect Pain in PVE; I had some good results in PVP.

EDIT: I should note, though, that currently Mental controllers are bugged and occasionally will take the aggro away from the tank within 2 or 3 debuff spells and never be able to lose it without Grandeur. So that's also a reason I took it.

DY_nasty

MGrant said:
I would try sticking to one branch, but there are some problems with doing that, namely broken or useless powers. Psychic Empowerment currently does nothing, which is really disappointing for anyone trying to do battery for their group. Mass Terror and Mass Levitate are really underwhelming, stunning for a fraction of the time that Phantom Flames and Telekinesis stun for. Thought Bubble is outclassed by Cryokinesis, which has a larger AoE. So with only a handful of decent/working controller powers per tree, I just went with both.

As far as the shields go, there are actually a few viable shields. I like Grandeur for the threat down + invulnerability, despite its shorter duration. I mainly use it in situations where the tank has lost aggro, and it buys just enough time for him to get it back. TK Shield is good as well, and has a longer duration, but I find without the threat down there's a risk for it just breaking and leaving me screwed and still aggro'd. I actually need to do some more experiments with Reflect Pain in PVE; I had some good results in PVP.

EDIT: I should note, though, that currently Mental controllers are bugged and occasionally will take the aggro away from the tank within 2 or 3 debuff spells and never be able to lose it without Grandeur. So that's also a reason I took it.
Thanks, thats a huge help. I thought something was up with Physic Empowerment... glad to know I'm not crazy. Thought Bubble... yeah. Its cute. Mass Lev and Terror too. A lot of these powers I thought I was using wrong.

I think Reflect Pain may almost be broken in PvP. It works too good sometimes. In PvE, its okay. If I'm off on an alert, I wouldn't sacrifice a shield like Grandeur or TK Shield for it. If you're taking so much punishment in PvE that its actually effective, you usually need a Healer. Mass Hysteria is so good though. I may get to use it twice per dungeon but or once every 3 PvP fights but there is nothing like it.

Do you use staffs? I like my rifle a lot, but I'm also comfortable with making the switch for the extra dominance at this point. TK and Psychic Ninja Stars both do the same thing when it comes power bar regen.

MGrant

DY_nasty said:
Thanks, thats a huge help. I thought something was up with Physic Empowerment... glad to know I'm not crazy. Thought Bubble... yeah. Its cute. Mass Lev and Terror too. A lot of these powers I thought I was using wrong.

I think Reflect Pain may almost be broken in PvP. It works too good sometimes. In PvE, its okay. If I'm off on an alert, I wouldn't sacrifice a shield like Grandeur or TK Shield for it. If you're taking so much punishment in PvE that its actually effective, you usually need a Healer. Mass Hysteria is so good though. I may get to use it twice per dungeon but or once every 3 PvP fights but there is nothing like it.

Do you use staffs? I like my rifle a lot, but I'm also comfortable with making the switch for the extra dominance at this point. TK and Psychic Ninja Stars both do the same thing when it comes power bar regen.

I liked Mass Hysteria, but disliked that I couldn't use breakouts in Spectre form. Or maybe I was glitched? Either way I found Psychic Bolt Barrage was a more efficient use of 100% supercharge for me, if only because it was easier and could be used twice. But I haven't played more than 10 or so PVP matches at level 30, so I'm still learning.

I use Handblasters. I like the +Dominance and +Might innate powers they carry, especially when +Dominance gear is so rare, and Pulse Beam is a pretty nice combo for recharging purposes when I'm not able to spam Psychic Blades or TK. I also spec'd up One-Handed for the +Vitalization bonuses.

Raoh

On the PS3, are the D-Pad options not working for anyone else either?

never mind, it was just menu lag

Foxix Von

Raoh said:

I push either of the four dpad options and i cant select anything or get rid of the window unless i press the start button to bring up another menu that will push out the dpad window...

Hit select then back out of the chat and and chat window. Voila.

DY_nasty

Raoh said:

I push either of the four dpad options and i cant select anything or get rid of the window unless i press the start button to bring up another menu that will push out the dpad window...
It bugs out for me too every once in a while... irritating when I want to change roles.

MGrant

JWong said:
Any instructions for Legends PVP?

I think it's pretty stupid that you don't get to know what skills you are using.

My mini-guide for Harley:

Your skills on the bar are

1. Hammer spin. You spin around and deal lots of little hits to everyone around you. Interruptible by block and stun.

2. Spring-loaded Boxing Glove. Medium-range direct damage, interrupts some things.

3. Joker Bomb. Harley produces a large bomb that can be thrown or smashed on top of enemies. Decent damage, area effect.

4. Stealth Mode. Gives you two powers on the bar, the first one being a sneak attack that deals huge damage. If anything hits you, you lose stealth.

5. Forward Flip Attack. Jumps forward and deals a knockdown plus decent damage.

6. Backflip Attack. Deals decent damage and takes you out of certain stun attacks.

Your weapon is a two-handed mallet.

Left click/square/X button (360 controller) is a melee bash attack. It has a nice combo if you do 4 holds in a row, which ends in a charged MEGA SMASH attack, dealing really nice damage, provided your opponent does not block. I've taken down Banes one-on-one with this.

Right click is a medium range attack. Hold for block-breaking mallet throw.

Harley-specific Tactics

After spawning, run towards the capture point and pull out a Joker Bomb. Toss it at opponents for easy, decent damage. Vs. Robin, keep in mind he's got a lot of potential to stunlock you, so block a lot and keep moving. If you see him start his spin-and-win staff nonsense, just back away and wait for it to finish, dealing the ranged damage of your choice during its duration. Vs. Batman, stay on top of him. I've found he really can't deal with pressure. Bane can be a nightmare, with his ridiculous boulder attack. If you see a boulder, lunge at him or double-team him. Again, Hold x4 combo is super nice since there aren't a lot of defensive Bane players.

Also effective is Forward Flip followed by Backflip. It scores a knockdown, some good quick damage, and sets you up for either an easy Joker Bomb or Stealth Mode. If you manage to get more than one opponent on the ground in the same area, spin attack until they get up, and then cancel it into a block breaker.

General Legends Tactics

Turrets are minimal but noteworthy ways to tack on some extra DPS. If you're playing a 2v2 and manage to get both of your opponents knocked out, go grab a healing barrel and wait for them to return before smashing it on the control point for increased defense. Go and steal your opponents' healing barrels. Utilize your movement abilities to get around and set up ambushes.

Foxix Von

Looks like the servers are having more maintenance tomorrow.
RadarX said:
US servers will be coming down at 4AM PT for server maintenance to address a few outstanding stability issues. Downtime is anticipated to be approximately one hour.

Wonder what they're fixing?

Hawk269

Is PVE more popular than PVP servers? I noticed that there are alot more PVE servers than there are PVP. I am currently mainly playing PVP, but when you are investing so much time in a game, I am not sure which server type I want to call home.

So gaf...what aare thoughts on PVP vs. PVE?

Foxix Von

Hawk269 said:
Is PVE more popular than PVP servers? I noticed that there are alot more PVE servers than there are PVP. I am currently mainly playing PVP, but when you are investing so much time in a game, I am not sure which server type I want to call home.

So gaf...what aare thoughts on PVP vs. PVE?

I think the game would be a little bland on PVE. I've only got one character and she's on PVP but the constant war going on in the city, combined with forming a group with your friends and ganging up on those blasted heroes has sort of become an integral part of the experience for me.

calder

Thanks to the helpful tour of the Watchtower from Oracle I now know that Hal Jordan is the worst architect in the whole bloody galaxy. I'm not so sure he should be bragging about designing this hellish, maze-like monstrosity. I wonder if Manhunter looked at the plans and said "uh, you sure about little park like thing jutting out here with all the hallways connecting to it at weird angles? Aren't you humans concerned with foot traffic and easy passage between the wings?" only to be sneeringly told that Green Lanterns can fly.

Leunam

calder said:
Thanks to the helpful tour of the Watchtower from Oracle I now know that Hal Jordan is the worst architect in the whole bloody galaxy.

Yeah makes sense he'd be a pretty terrible architect since his fulltime job is being a pilot.

Finally got to level 30 tonight and was really happy to see theres still tons to do, and its a challenge. I was worried id blow through all the missions by myself but im pretty sure thats almost impossible unless you had epic armor and weapons for every slot. I hope they add daily or weekly challenges. And maybe throw in random bountys if someone is sitting there camping and killing low levels, and have an alert sent out in that area with there location. I was gonna go ahead with a 6 month sub. but decided with the 3 month to see what there plans are with this game.

Varna

Fuck. Root of Evil quest glitched out on me. I'm suppose to talk to Robin after beating Ivy but he is nowhere to be found. :(

Outtrigger888 said:
Finally got to level 30 tonight and was really happy to see theres still tons to do, and its a challenge. I was worried id blow through all the missions by myself but im pretty sure thats almost impossible unless you had epic armor and weapons for every slot. I hope they add daily or weekly challenges. And maybe throw in random bountys if someone is sitting there camping and killing low levels, and have an alert sent out in that area with there location. I was gonna go ahead with a 6 month sub. but decided with the 3 month to see what there plans are with this game.

Foxix said:
Wonder what they're fixing?

Hopefully the freezing issue, I played this afternoon and didnt have a problem but it froze up atleast 5 times tonight. And when I booted the game up after the patch I logged into the server and my screen starting blinking saying data corrupted, I restarted and it was fine but could be a problem for others. The sound issues are still there, and group cursors lag behind really bad. I had the hardest time trying to follow my group leader today.

And maybe they should give everyone in a group differnt color cursors. I ended up folowing the wrong guy all the way across metropolis as he was going to a police station to turn in a mission.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, tired.... way to much dc universe this weekend

ReiGun

calder said:
Thanks to the helpful tour of the Watchtower from Oracle I now know that Hal Jordan is the worst architect in the whole bloody galaxy. I'm not so sure he should be bragging about designing this hellish, maze-like monstrosity. I wonder if Manhunter looked at the plans and said "uh, you sure about little park like thing jutting out here with all the hallways connecting to it at weird angles? Aren't you humans concerned with foot traffic and easy passage between the wings?" only to be sneeringly told that Green Lanterns can fly.
I think you meant Jon Stewart, but I agree. I absolutely hate being in Watchtower. Curiously, the Hall of Doom is much easier to get around in.

Foxix Von

Outtrigger888 said:
Hopefully the freezing issue, I played this afternoon and didnt have a problem but it froze up atleast 5 times tonight. And when I booted the game up after the patch I logged into the server and my screen starting blinking saying data corrupted, I restarted and it was fine but could be a problem for others. The sound issues are still there, and group cursors lag behind really bad. I had the hardest time trying to follow my group leader today.

And maybe they should give everyone in a group differnt color cursors. I ended up folowing the wrong guy all the way across metropolis as he was going to a police station to turn in a mission.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, tired.... way to much dc universe this weekend

While they're at it introduce a better chat system... maybe like chat bubbles... make it more comic bookey... Screw it SOE, just make it even more like PSO. I won't complain!

Hawk269

Outtrigger888 said:

Well, with this being an MMO, I am sure that they can easily add alot of quests to the game, some new areas (another city or someting a bit different like more of a forest/mountain are (Wonder Womans island like someone suggested)) more and longer in-door quests...such as maybe an under the city cavern that is very long with some mid-level bosses and an end boss. Something that you can go back too at different level's, basically an increasing mob level with slightly different layout for each progressive level.

For enviroment, they definately need something other than a city, but not sure how that will fit in with DC theme. If a Wonder Woman Island would be made, it would need to be pretty big, perhaps with settlements and stuff...perhaps a desert area within it as well. I also like the Aquaman under water city ideal, but again it would be another city.

In addition to new items, level cap increases (that is why I think they capped it at 30 so they can add more caps later).

I think there is a ton they can do with the game, but I do worry about one thing though. Will Sony hamper them adding too much content because there are alot of PS3 players with smaller hard drives?

As right now, I may just use up my free 30 days, then wait to see what happens with the game or maybe pay for one more month. I know from reading here and other forums, they have alot of stuff to fix on both platforms, so seeing the urgency in doing that will tell me if I should even consider another month.

Raoh

ReiGun said:
I think you meant Jon Stewart, but I agree. I absolutely hate being in Watchtower. Curiously, the Hall of Doom is much easier to get around in.

Indeed. One of the reasons I'm enjoying being a villain over a hero is the HQ.

The real problem is the map system. Absolutely horrible. It rivals the chat system for absolute worst feature in the game.

DY_nasty

Outtrigger888 said:
I'd give SOE another 60 bucks for that.

btw, fuck da Lanterns.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
what's up with some combos that miss? like on some of my blaster ones the last shot just never hits no matter what. for example the bicycle kick one. gonna have to respec out of those i guess

EekTheKat

Pets need an indicator as to what state they're in. Apparently you can command them to be passive sometimes and that'll result in them not attacking at all. (Currently it's issue the same command again on the bar to toggle modes, hold for 3 seconds to despawn pet).

Like have the Pet bar go red when it's in attack mode or something. I couldn't find a noticable difference in the UI when toggling modes with my Robot Sidekick.

With the sheer amount of threat my Controller can generate, having a bot follow me around dpsing while I kite stuff around will help.

Axiom

A DCUO story from today I decided to tell in a picture

atrocityskirt.png

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DY_nasty said:
The wait times for Alerts, Arenas, and Legends are lies.

Lies.
Yup. I don't even bother with it anymore for alerts, I just shout till I find 3 other people (or 1 if I want to do a duo) to join me. You skip the Alert queue completely when you do it this way and most people I've met have been pretty awesome.

Top Bottom