• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEA wants to ban mild opiate plant (Kratom). Researchers say plan is ‘insane.’ (WaPo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

The Drug Enforcement Administration has received a torrent of backlash from patients with chronic pain and former opiate users after announcing plans to ban kratom, a plant gaining popularity across the United States for its opiate-like effects.

Kratom, which originates in Southeast Asia, has become more widespread in the United States in the past decade, fueled by online testimonials from users and a lack of federal regulation. Advocates say the plant — typically crushed and mixed or brewed with water — poses few health risks while helping users relieve severe pain and overcome addictions to powerful prescription painkillers.

The DEA recently announced a temporary federal ban on kratom beginning Sept. 30. The active chemicals in the plant will be placed on Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act, the most restrictive regulatory category, designated for substances with no medical use and a high potential for abuse.

Still, Hudak said, the strict scheduling of kratom would make it harder for researchers to access the drug, which could limit the very research that the DEA says is necessary to determine whether it has medical benefits.

"A lower scheduling might actually spur that type of research for these natural substances," Hudak said. "It's not necessarily going to happen under Schedule 1."

Some researchers say that the DEA's reasoning for the ban is shaky and that cracking down on kratom could push users to more dangerous and addictive opiates.

The people using kratom are often "in pain or addicted" to other drugs, said Marc Swogger, a clinical psychologist at the University of Rochester Medical Center, who has published research on kratom use. "Those are two groups that need options for improving their situations. Without those options, I'm not sure what they're going to do. Will they begin to take heroin? Will they show up for treatment and get the appropriate treatment?"

Moreover, Swogger says, the DEA's own data "do not indicate there is any public health reason for this."

In a paper last year, Swogger and co-authors wrote that, in all of the fatal overdose cases involving kratom, the users had either taken other drugs, too, or had a history of alcohol- or heroin-abuse that also could have caused or contributed to the death.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...her-plant-researchers-say-the-plan-is-insane/

This seems rather foolish to designate this as a title 1 banned substance if that does hinder research. This seems especially important now considering that we are facing an opiate/heroin epidemic, and a milder/less addictive alternative seems like it would be a very good thing for general public health.

highrider

Banned
This seems rather foolish to designate this as a title 1 banned substance if that does hinder research. This seems especially important now considering that we are facing an opiate/heroin epidemic, and a milder/less addictive alternative seems like it would be a very good thing for general public health.

This is a nice summary of the myopic nature of drug policy and enforcement in America.

Rajack

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...her-plant-researchers-say-the-plan-is-insane/

That's just the problem. The plant is a safe alternative to drugs produced by their cartel allies in Latin America and Afghanistan. They're banning Kratom to scratch their backs.

BajiBoxer

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/health/kratom-opioid-withdrawal-pain-relief-supplement/

Sounds like its banning is being justified based on a 40 year old highly questionable Thai study, and 14 known deaths where Kratom's contribution is also questionable. Meanwhile, its medical properties sound safer than shit lots of doctors hand out like candy since it doesn't fuck with your breathing. Good job DEA. When we're just now gaining momentum to get marijuana off the list (being categorized with heroin is insane), the DEA finds another useful plant to target.

At this point I just assume there's a profit motive in there somewhere. Gives them more work, justifications for a bigger budget, and more assets to seize.

jorma

is now taking requests
Can't have cheap alternatives available when there's so much money invested in combating the opiate epidemic.

smurfx

get some go again

big heroin epidemic=big money in selling prescription drugs to help treat addiction.

Wish I could say I'm surprised.

Kratom is apparently addictive and not so easy to stop using from what I've read, but now that it's being scheduled we will never be able to study its positive effects..

It's beyond frustrating and sad to see the DEA and pharmaceutical companies fuck us over again and again for profit.

I hate this.

Oscar

Damn, I remember legally acquiring some online about two years ago. Cheap as hell too.

White Vein Maeng Da was my shit. I'd dominate my workouts and feel so positive about everything, while having appetite suppression. It's like the ultimate pre-workout that I would take once in the morning and be superrman for the rest of the day. I stopped because I eventually hit my goal weight right around the time my body built a strong tolerance to it, so the effects had damn near no impact on me anymore. Went on a tolerance break, forgot about it, so I just never re-upped.

Red Thai didn't affect me much, it seems to be aimed at people with chronic pain/aches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom