• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

It's like a looser VF, but tighter than previous DOAs. It actually has 8 way run movement a bit like Soul Calibur. Nothing is much like Tekken at all.

Evidently the guest VF characters (Akira, Sarah, Pai) are so close to VF that they do play much like VF5. In that sense the engines are not that different.

Um, no.

It's most similar to VF. It's like a less technical VF. It's nothing like SF4 or SC5. At all.

It plays like Virtua Fighter except for the inclusion of the 'hold' system where you can counter in the middle of an attack string. DOA/Virtua Fighter go really well together. If you liked SC I would definitely say it's just as friendly as that. Don't worry about not being fond of Tekken, it's a bit of a loner in terms of how it plays.

I would say DOA was designed with Virtua Fighter as the basis, and Soul Calibur was intended to resemble these rather than Bamco's own Tekken series.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
^^^^^

To add to the above, the one thing similar to Tekken is that you can hold back or down-back to block. The hold button also functions as a block button, so you get the best of both worlds.

Yeah... Even with that trick it still seems like a pain in the ass since you have to play a few times just to even unlock legendary. I'll think about it.

It wasn't that difficult getting to the legend difficulty- found it easiest to do with Kasumi and lots of power blows. I didn't even try the Tina move-spamming trick until I was playing on arcade legend.

Ugh fucking Bass how much you suck.

I was largely indifferent to the whole 'story mode vs individual endings' argument but I will say that one of the big negatives against story mode is getting stuck using a character I cannot stand. Throwing in the bonus missions just makes things even worse.

I can appreciate what they were going for with the bonus missions but I really don't think this was the way to do it. Restarting a fight over and over to get the bonus missions really detracts from the experience. It doesn't help that they stupidly didn't put in anything that tells you which missions you have completed and which you haven't. You can make some guesses based on which titles have been unlocked but it's not assured since the titles don't necessarily unlock in order.

Skilletor

I'm secretly hoping that everything unlocks after, say, 50 hours of play. I have no desire to punish myself with input reading AI to unlock outfits and characters. :/

Why can't I unlock shit in vs. mode? :(

zlatko

Banned

I was largely indifferent to the whole 'story mode vs individual endings' argument but I will say that one of the big negatives against story mode is getting stuck using a character I cannot stand. Throwing in the bonus missions just makes things even worse.

I can appreciate what they were going for with the bonus missions but I really don't think this was the way to do it. Restarting a fight over and over to get the bonus missions really detracts from the experience. It doesn't help that they stupidly didn't put in anything that tells you which missions you have completed and which you haven't. You can make some guesses based on which titles have been unlocked but it's not assured since the titles don't necessarily unlock in order.

I laughed when I saw an achievement is tied to not skipping any of the cut scenes for story mode. I guess they knew how shitty it was that people would just want to bum rush through it.

I'm secretly hoping that everything unlocks after, say, 50 hours of play. I have no desire to punish myself with input reading AI to unlock outfits and characters. :/

What do you have to do to unlock costumes? Haven't bothered with the story yet.

Dantis

This game has the best real time hair I've ever seen. After the weirdness that was DOA4's hair, this is seriously impressive.

This tuesday.
OK thanks

I broke it down on the last page. Most of it's not too hard to get.

It wasn't that difficult getting to the legend difficulty- found it easiest to do with Kasumi and lots of power blows. I didn't even try the Tina move-spamming trick until I was playing on arcade legend.
I don't think I'm good enough unfortunately without spamming.

Shadybiz

Restarting a fight over and over to get the bonus missions really detracts from the experience. It doesn't help that they stupidly didn't put in anything that tells you which missions you have completed and which you haven't.

I got to the point where if I couldn't do it in 2 tries, I would just win the fight and move on. If something stops being entertaining, I don't bother with it.

And yeah...I don't know why they didn't give you some way of knowing which ones you did manage to complete.

I will say that if I'm right about this, he has a move that not only stuns but also evades 90% of attacks and it comes out super fast. There has got to be something about it I'm missing though.

Nice, I might invest some time in Brad Wong or Hayata, I have trouble against these 2, and Jann Lee.

@Neuromancer: ah thanks.

I laughed when I saw an achievement is tied to not skipping any of the cut scenes for story mode. I guess they knew how shitty it was that people would just want to bum rush through it.

Crap, I wonder if that goes for one's you are rewatching.

Anyway Bass is done with, thank fuck.

Skilletor

Play through Time attack, survival, or Arcade. Has to be a different difficulty for the same mode. So you can't unlock all outfits going easy mode in time attack, but you can unlock another outfit going through easy mode in arcade.

That's one achievement I'll never get.

Those are out too, since they'd divide the player base the way characters would.

They should take a leaf out of Tekken's book and make stage DLC free. Charge for costumes sure, since they are just cosmetic, but they'd probably help extend the life of the game and stem trade if they were putting out new stages every month or so. They'd probably make more in the long run using stages as a loss leader to keep people playing and buying costumes.

i actually got that one by just playing thru story mode in "one sitting" ... aka playing it through in bursts the course of the day and not exiting the story mode menu

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't think I'm good enough unfortunately without spamming.

...and that's what I'm saying- spamming certain moves works wonders on the CPU! It really isn't that bad. It's laughable how easily the AI goes down off the same two moves versus when you play it normally. I just want to unlock all the crap and get back to online and versus human matches ASAP.

I play Brad Wong so if anyone is interested in seeing a decent Brad Wong in action you should check it out.

Decent my ass lol. Your Brad Wong is almost godlike. I've always hated fighting against Brad, I have so much trouble reading his moves. We definitely should play more so I could learn how to fight against him.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I need like 15 more titles to unlock alpha. But doing the critical burst and them powerblows feels a bit tedious since I'm not getting the hang of all characters or the proper timing. >_<

I guess I'll play 50 times with the cast

branny

^It does feel tedious, lol. I've unlocked all but Lisa's swimsuit and still have a couple more titles to run through for Alpha, too. Ughhh...

Mr_eX

It should be like DOA4 where you earn zack bucks online that you could use to unlock costumes.

Sora_N

That's why when I did them, if I didn't get the bonus I just redid the match until I got it. Wasn't that fun though, but I felt like I should so I won't have to figure it out later.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's kind of like a mix between SCV and SFIV if it was 3d. It's possibly less entertaining then SCV to a more casual fighting game player though (combos are less visually appealing, I don't think the animations are as good.).

Yes. Imagine SC IV without critical's and SF IV without supermoves and with a sidestep...

It's VF lite. Imagine VF with universal counters that can get you out of almost any situation and you get DOA.

Oh and one annoying difference. If you're holding G, and you're used to buffering in throw breaks like in VF5FS or SC, hitting an attack button on DOA cancels your guard. I've eaten so many ch hits because of that.

Mr_eX

Decent my ass lol. Your Brad Wong is almost godlike. I've always hated fighting against Brad, I have so much trouble reading his moves. We definitely should play more so I could learn how to fight against him.

Brad was my main in DOA4, so I played thousands of games with him when he was the worst character in the game. Now that he's no longer trash tier all bets are off.

Vazra

Yes. Imagine SC IV without critical's and SF IV without supermoves and with a sidestep...

It's VF lite. Imagine VF with universal counters that can get you out of almost any situation and you get DOA.

Aint Powerblows Super Moves/Special Moves?

Squire

Banned
They should take a leaf out of Tekken's book and make stage DLC free. Charge for costumes sure, since they are just cosmetic, but they'd probably help extend the life of the game and stem trade if they were putting out new stages every month or so. They'd probably make more in the long run using stages as a loss leader to keep people playing and buying costumes.

I don't think Tecmo Koei is in a financial position to give away profits like that.

They wouldn't really be an advantage, though. Just make it that when you play online you can only select the new stages if both players have bought the DLC.

Their pint stands though. This would still split the player base into "with" and "without ".

Moze

Banned
how accessible is this? i love fighting games but tbh im pretty shit at them. is it on the same level as mortal kombat 9 in terms of accessibility?

Vazra

how accessible is this? i love fighting games but tbh im pretty shit at them. is it on the same level as mortal kombat 9 in terms of accessibility?

Its pretty accessible and the game training mode that will help you get better. :p

louie

Gotta say I love the new tag mode. I feel that critical bursts and powerblows are much more satisfying in it, I love being able to set up a CB with one character and then PBing with the other. It adds some interesting meter management to it.

Is the command for Ryu's Izuna any different than previous DOA games? Keep hearing folks having trouble with it so I'm curious, I can do them in my sleep in the other games so if it's the same I won't have any problems.

4 online matches, my connection wasn't great for any of them. The first was just horrendous slowdown throughout. The other 3 were varying degrees of okay but they would keep getting stuttery every so often. It's entirely possible that it's my connection.

They did say they'd be patching it didn't they?

Camp Lo

Banned
4 online matches, my connection wasn't great for any of them. The first was just horrendous slowdown throughout. The other 3 were varying degrees of okay but they would keep getting stuttery every so often. It's entirely possible that it's my connection.

Welcome to DOA5 online. It's not your connection.

zlatko

Banned
The Prima guide is really great. It makes getting up to speed on a char easy. It breaks down which moves to focus on, which are safe, whiff punishers, etc.

Tell me this information about Rig as I don't want to pony up the $ for the guide, and there is .01% knowledge to be found online. :p

Skilletor

Is the command for Ryu's Izuna any different than previous DOA games? Keep hearing folks having trouble with it so I'm curious, I can do them in my sleep in the other games so if it's the same I won't have any problems.

It's the same. I don't even know the motion. I just do a 360 when combo throw pops up.

Mr_eX

Tell me this information about Rig as I don't want to pony up the $ for the guide, and there is .01% knowledge to be found online. :p

Just go into training mode and turn frame data on. The majority of Rigg's moves have frame advantage. He is one of the easiest characters to just spam attacks with and not get punished.

Lies. I've had over a hundred matches, and noticeable lag in about four of them.
I've had almost 300 now and the few that were lag free...well, were few. My connection? I have no problems in P4A, UMVC or any other fighting game I regularly play. Heck, I even hopped back on DOA4 for a bit and managed to find some games even with the extremely reduced playerbase that were miles smoother than best DOA5 match I've played. Not to mention 4 handled lag much better when it was present. Go to any site where DOA5 is talked about and the spotty netcode will be a major topic; This is hardly an isolated problem.

It's a testament to how much I love DOA that I just keep going back to 5 despite its issues. Abused wife syndrome, I guess. I hate the changes in online, I hate the stages, how we have to unlock costumes, the story mode, the numerous glitches being found, the (english) voice acting... list goes on. And yet... underneath it all the core game is still so much fun. It's a frustrating position to be in.

Shadybiz

Its pretty accessible and the game training mode that will help you get better. :p

Agreed. I am generally not that great at these, but I was able to hold my own (read: not get utterly destroyed) in online for a bit with very minimal work. The system just makes sense to me, I guess.

Dantis

I've had almost 300 now and the few that were lag free...well, were few. My connection? I have no problems in P4A, UMVC or any other fighting game I regularly play. Heck, I even hopped back on DOA4 for a bit and managed to find some games even with the extremely reduced playerbase that were miles smoother than best DOA5 match I've played. Not to mention 4 handled lag much better when it was present. Go to any site where DOA5 is talked about and the spotty netcode will be a major topic; This is hardly an isolated problem.

It's a testament to how much I love DOA that I just keep going back to 5 despite its issues. Abused wife syndrome, I guess. I hate the changed in online, I hate the stages, how we have to unlock costumes, the story mode, the numerous glitches being found, the (english) voice acting... list goes on. And yet... underneath it all the core game is still so much fun. It's a frustrating position to be in.

Maybe we have different standards of what we consider noticeable lag? I'm not really one to complain about such things, and as long as the game is smooth enough for me to pull off holds, I consider it without noticeable lag.

Top Bottom