• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 is one of the best sequels of all time

Mondai

I've starter another playthrough of the game and I am impressed at how much of an improvement is it to Dead Space 1 for me. DS2 does something rare and manages to mix horror/action perfectly I might as well say that its like the movie Aliens. Such a great game and easily the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time, I would put it in my top 10. Sure its not perfect and some sections are bleh , but overall its really really close to a perfect game.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Renee Zellweger Romance GIF by Bridget Jones

bender

What time is it?
I remember liking it less than the original upon release. I think my opinion shifted upon replaying a few years back.

Muffdraul

I'll always love the original most, just because it totally came out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass, I had ZERO expectation for EA to deliver anything even remotely that good. It was my pick for GOTY 2008 and in the running for Best New IP of the PS360 gen.

Yet I can also say I honestly think Dead Space 2 is objectively a better game. It took what the original did and improved on it. Few things chap my hind more than when some numbnuts claims "Dead Space 1 was survival horror, Dead Space 2 was action shooter daaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuhhhhh."

Stuart360

Hopefully the Dead Space remake sold enough to jusitfy a DS2 remake. Although i have to say DS2 still looks surprisingly good maxed out on PC.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One the most intense moments in DS2 was when you go back to Ishimura and its only truly effective if you played original game.

Dead Space in other hand was fucking embarrassment. They put stupid ass love triangle plot in to the game and turn Isaac in jealous ex boyfriend.

rm082e

Hopefully the Dead Space remake sold enough to jusitfy a DS2 remake. Although i have to say DS2 still looks surprisingly good maxed out on PC.

There was a pretty well confirmed rumor a while back that EA lost interest after seeing the sales of Dead Space remake. I don't think we're going to get a remake of DS2.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I never did play the sequel. Guess I'll add it to the list. Picked it up for $5 a bit ago, along with part 3.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think it's really good, but not as good as the OG. Very much in vein with my feelings towards Alien vs Aliens (and its easy to make comparisons between the two)

Once you get to the school things it always goes downhill from there. That whole "Now play niiiiii-iiice" is so corny. From there the game just fails to maintain the tone of the intro and the first few chapters to me.

Gojiira

Its a great sequel but just like Aliens is almost completely removed from what made the original so good.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yes I love this game and I had actually Platinum this game twice and I loved playing the multiplayer mode too and DS2 was what got me to finally create a Facebook account back in the day because you had to "sign up" on their Dead Space page to be able to play against the Devs in multiplayer mode.

OP what platform are you using to play Dead Space 2? PC?

Kydd BlaZe

One of my favorite games of ALL TIME. So bummed that we're never getting a remake like the original. Would've been fucking incredible smh.

Arachnid

It personally never matched the atmosphere and manic terror of the first game for me (I've also always preferred Alien to Aliens), but I loved it for how much it expanded on the gameplay and scope. Plus, I was happy to see Isaac survived the first game. I was always sad about the ending.

The remake would have been god tier.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Wasnt a fan. All I remember was the level design felt copy and paste, the part where you launch from orbit was cool tho

Skifi28

It was quite good and the upgrade in tech very nice, but I still prefer the original in almost every other way.

Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 3… EA sure likes to produce stinkers as 3rd game in a series.
Seems like a lack patience to make lots of money NOW and not grow long term.

There was a lot of chat about dead space 2 not making enough on release despite it growing from 1. So they pivoted with 3 to a co-op shooter added frigging micro transactions made a quick buck on release but killed any long term interest along with the franchise.

Another franchise released that generation was smaller at the time cough cough souls but has been given the time nurture and grow. That studio has now released one of the biggest games ever.

If souls was published by EA FROM software probably would have been closed by now.

Mr Hyde

Played through it a couple of months ago and while it was not as good as I remember it, it's still a terrific game and a worthy sequel to DS. It has a lot of cool and intense set pieces, great callbacks to the first game and a more fleshed out plot regarding the alien Markers and the origins of them, and how much influence they've had on the humans that lived on the Sprawl. Would love a remake but unfortunately, Dead Space is not an IP that sells very well, despite being first rate sci fi horror.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Done with dead space 2 today, was open to where the story was going on Titan, standing up to Marker loyalists, and I've played dead space 1 it's still the better game, sweet home USG Ishimura!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
🧿🧿🧿

You know what I'm talking about. Legendary sequel but no sequel can ever top the surprise element/sense of uncharted territory of the first game that kicks off a series, tough call which one I prefer overall but I love both.

ZehDon

Yeah, it really is. I think the "Alien -> Aliens" comparison for Dead Space -> Dead Space 2 is pretty on point. Like with those films, if someone says they prefer one over the other, I can totally understand that. They're both different enough, while both still being incredible, that there isn't a wrong answer.

For my money, I think Dead Space (OG, not the remake) is probably my pick, but Dead Space 2 is legitimately incredible. Shame EA ran it into the fucking ground.

Hudo

I hear they're remaking DS2 as well. And I hope it's true because the DS1 remake was actually pretty good.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah, it really is. I think the "Alien -> Aliens" comparison for Dead Space -> Dead Space 2 is pretty on point. Like with those films, if someone says they prefer one over the other, I can totally understand that. They're both different enough, while both still being incredible, that there isn't a wrong answer.

For my money, I think Dead Space (OG, not the remake) is probably my pick, but Dead Space 2 is legitimately incredible. Shame EA ran it into the fucking ground.

You didnt like the Dead Space Remake?
It fixed pretty much everything that was wrong with OG Dead Space and made me super excited for a Dead Space 2 Remake and complete retelling of Dead Space 3.

On Topic
Yup it was a massive massive jump, but in my books the biggest upgrade to a sequel has to be Just Cause to Just Cause 2.
Its like they arent even made by the same studio.

ps2_just_cause_p_tgiwgj.jpg

91plxNFHesL.jpg

Top Bottom