• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Looking forward to the game but I'm really hoping they explain the Marker/Necromorphs to a degree that's not so vague. I'm concerned it's going to leave way too much open still at the end.

Barrett2

Between just buying LBP2 & Sly Collection, I probably need to wait to pick this up. But i *definitely* want to play it this year.

dskillzhtown said:
Opinions....

I felt like it provided more depth to the story of the game. I felt like what people were calling terrible animation was more of a style. But whatever. I enjoyed it and that is all that matters to me.

Sure, but while the game actually manages to evoke Ridley Scott's visual brilliance with Alien in terms of look and lighting, the animation is more akin to the average contemporary saturday morning cartoon. Needless to say, I felt it deserved much, much better.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Will the CE continue to come with Extraction on PS3, or is that first run only as well?

I'm thinking it'll be the first run as well.

Darkmakaimura said:
Looking forward to the game but I'm really hoping they explain the Marker/Necromorphs to a degree that's not so vague. I'm concerned it's going to leave way too much open still at the end.

Have you read Dead Space: Martyr? That goes a bit into the Black Marker (the original one). Still somewhat vague, but it's very interesting to see what it does and what it's capable of.

Minamu said:
Holy cow! How long did it take you to make this OP? :O

Not as long as I thought it would... about four hours including grabbing info, collecting media, typing stuff up, and doing the banners.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Have you read Dead Space: Martyr? That goes a bit into the Black Marker (the original one). Still somewhat vague, but it's very interesting to see what it does and what it's capable of.
I read about it on the Dead Space Wiki. I guess from that we know it's
from outer space and it came to Earth during the dinosaurs
but I still want more juicy details. Like, who or what made it or something revealing about its purpose.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had totally forgotten that this was coming out so soon. Started playing Ignition tonight since I got it for free from preordering. It's OK, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I really suck at the laser beam puzzles though.

Darkmakaimura said:
I read about it on the Dead Space Wiki. I guess from that we know it's
from outer space and it came to Earth during the dinosaurs
but I still want more juicy details. Like, who or what made it or something revealing about its purpose.

While who or what made it hasn't been revealed as of yet, its purposes can sort of be theorized on. We do know that it's capable of communication, but its methods of communication tends to drive people stark raving mad. It seems to be able to keep the Necromorph infection at bay (it has a "dead space" around it of a few meters where Necromorphs can't cross) so maybe that is one of its purposes. There's more than one, but the others may be man-made instead of true alien origin. Of course in the first game, the "dead space" was all but useless (at least until you united the Marker and the Pedestal). The twisting shape of the Marker seems to reflect like a DNA strand. That's all I remember on it.

The trace races in Ignition piss me off the most. I kinda like the Virus offense thing and I can find the solutions for the mirror puzzles easy, but those fucking races... I suck at them so much.

My god I hope there's not a trophy/achievement as ridiculous as keeping the hull integrity at 50 or more during the asteroid assault. I finally did it today and I know it permanently raised my blood pressure.

brandonh83 said:
My god I hope there's not a trophy/achievement as ridiculous as keeping the hull integrity at 50 or more during the asteroid assault. I finally did it today and I know it permanently raised my blood pressure.

I've never gotten that one. It's more based on luck and chance then skill... or I just really suck at that part of the game.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I've never gotten that one. It's more based on luck and chance then skill... or I just really suck at that part of the game.

I did notice that sometimes they were faster and in higher number. Maybe. It was kind of a blur.

Just one more trophy to get before the plat-- beating it on the hardest difficulty.

Any of you do it? Should I expect pain? I think I'm pretty good at the game though, I've beaten it three times in the past few days, my last clear time was about 5 hours or so.

But I have no idea what to expect out of hard.

Sidzed2

Day 1 for the Playstation 3 version :)

I just hope the game is better-paced and more varied than the great, but sometimes repetitive original.

gdt

Dammit, I really wanted to replay DS1 before this, but couldn't fit it in. Oh well, I'll do them both sooner or later.

Sidzed2 said:
Day 1 for the Playstation 3 version :)

I just hope the game is better-paced and more varied than the great, but sometimes repetitive original.

Yeah, it is. Interviews with the folks at Visceral have talked about this several times. It was one of the things they wanted to fix from the original.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:

There's a number of different "layouts" of it. Some are easier than other, so luck is a factor. Hope 2 has nothing like that.

seady

Gomu Gomu said:
PS3 version comes with Dead Space Extraction? Well, this is an easy purchase.

Because of this, I actually sold my 360 version of Dead Space and repurchased it again on the PS3. So when I get DS2 on PS3 I can get the full Dead Space experience on the same console (Dead Space, Dead Space Extraction, Dead Space Ignition, Dead Space 2).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Not sure if I'll pick this up or not right away, but I would just like to add that I absolutely love the art for this game.

I know this game will be fucking awesome and I loved the first but I am still neck deep in holiday 2010 releases. Will wait for $30 on this one.

brandonh83 said:
Just one more trophy to get before the plat-- beating it on the hardest difficulty.

Any of you do it? Should I expect pain? I think I'm pretty good at the game though, I've beaten it three times in the past few days, my last clear time was about 5 hours or so.

I beat it on Impossible, yeah. And while the first two or three chapters might be real challenging, it becomes considerably easier if you only focus on putting nodes into the Plasma Cutter, your RIG, and Stasis. Don't bother with other guns until you've maxed the above. Spend most of your credits on nodes and suit upgrades. Always keep some money handy for the occasional medium health purchase if necessary.

Curufinwe

Game Informer gave it a 9, but the review says the game got unfairly, and annoyingly hard in the second half on Normal difficulty.

Curufinwe said:
Game Informer gave it a 9, but the review says the game got unfairly, and annoyingly hard in the second half on Normal difficulty.
It seems like a lot of reviewers are in the habit of rushing through games, so who knows how fully he explored and what he had in the way of upgrades by the end. The first game was certainly too easy by the end on normal difficulty, so I welcome more of a challenge. I've actually been planning to play my first play through on survivalist. Hopefully that's not a mistake, lol.

brandonh83 said:

I cheated :p

I used the refill stasis cheat (doesn't effect the trophy) and just conserved my ammo as much as possible, was pretty easy.

If anyone's interested, here's an interesting little article from Wired that goes a little bit into Necromorph anatomy and the like...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/pl_games_deadspace2_gallery/

One of the images...

pl_games_deadspace26_f.jpg

There's also some art of the Police/Security RIG that you can get in the game:

pl_games_deadspace211_f.jpg

The team at Visceral actually does have photos of accident victims... according to Wired

Grisby

Yeah, I want to say they did that for DS1 as well (the accident victims). Course, maybe it was another developer but I swear I've heard that before.

Muffdraul

Grisby said:
Yeah, I want to say they did that for DS1 as well (the accident victims). Course, maybe it was another developer but I swear I've heard that before.

Yep, I remember them mentioning that in the Qore interview shortly before DS1 came out.

Shipping out on the 28th and have the 25th, 26th, and 27th off! I plan on storming through the campaign before I go!!!! Might cheapen it abit but damnit, who knows when I would get a chance to play it then. Rather experience the story and set peices as my final gaming hurray.

Top Bottom