• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Kevtones

God I fucking love the dialogues that happen in the car. If you're a film buff whatsoever this game will make you smile over and over and over again.

I Push Fat Kids said:
God I fucking love the dialogues that happen in the car. If you're a film buff whatsoever this game will make you smile over and over and over again.

Hell yeah, I was even stoked when they mentioned Nightmare on Elm Street!

Kevtones

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Hell yeah, I was even stoked when they mentioned Nightmare on Elm Street!

The mention of Tremors mad me smile :D I just love York's film buff knowledge. It's obviously just the creator naming off a bunch of films he loves but it works in context because the scenes are about chit-chat. If they mention Street Trash it might become my GOTY.

MiniDitka

I Push Fat Kids said:
The mention of Tremors mad me smile :D I just love York's film buff knowledge. It's obviously just the creator naming off a bunch of films he loves but it works in context because the scenes are about chit-chat. If they mention Street Trash it might become my GOTY.
uvs100302-005.jpg

uvs100302-004.jpg

ghostofsparta said:
Are you guys serious?

The screens looks horrible.

And the 2/10 from ign :lol

If IGN are professionals, than you might as well recruit every first person shooter gamer for the S.W.A.T team.

I Push Fat Kids said:

Dude... Street TRash!!! HAHAHAHAHAH. That movie is all sorts of messed up. Good call!

Host Samurai said:
What should I do if my car runs out of gas? will it respawn? because I had to get out of my car and walk on foot.

If you have a flare use it and somebody will bring you a new police car.
There are also cars available at your hotel and in the police department. IIRC more spots with respawnable police cars open up as you progress through the story. Oh and any cars you buy and/or unlock will respawn back at the hotel no matter what you do with them.

Oh and even better if you do a certain sidequest for George he gives you a radio. I didn't think much of it at first but apparently it lets you instantly teleport(!) to nearly any building you've already been to. As a bonus no time is spent getting from point to point.

So I got to play a significant amount more last night and I'm so in love with this game it's not even funny.

I usually don't care much about the story in my games, usually demanding that the audio/visual experience is impressive enough to keep me engaged, but god damn Greenvale has sucked me in with its charm.

If you can look past the graphics and slightly janky controls/mechanics you can't not love this game.

It helps that it feels like it draws from so many of my favorite past game experiences and wraps it up with a consistently wacky but still well thought out script/story. There's definitely an element of nostalgia that I'm feeling when I play, which some may point out as proof the game is outdated, but it just adds to the experience in my opinion...I mean, the entire game is a throwback to cheesy 80's horror/crime thrillers.

Out of the 2 games I've played this year so far (Bioshock 2 being the other), DP is coming out on top.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If you have a flare use it and somebody will bring you a new police car.
There are also cars available at your hotel and in the police department. IIRC more spots with respawnable police cars open up as you progress through the story.

Oh and even better if you do a certain sidequest for George he gives you a radio. I didn't think much of it at first but apparently it lets you instantly teleport(!) to nearly any building you've already been to. As a bonus no time is spent getting from point to point.

Oh man, this would be awesome.

Regarding the flares thing, I've had to use them a few times because when I leave a building my car is never where I left it. Don't shy away from using them if you need to though because if you go to the firing range in the basement of the police station and you shoot each target 8-10 times in a row without missing you will receive a free item. It's great for farming flares, small health kits and SMG ammo.

Other random tips:
- Press start to skip the slow/repetitive animations and screens
- On that note, run through doors rather than walk through them so you don't have to watch the slow ass animation.
- Pretty much any wooden gate, box and barrel can be destroyed. I break everything...often there's secrets behind them.
- Not all trading cards are out in the open or immediately accessible. Sometimes you'll need to beat the driving mini game to open a door/gate to get access to them.
- The cars don't control nearly as badly when you stop trying to steer them normally and use the power brake for every single turn.
- If you haven't done any dungeons or gotten paid in awhile, you can pickup your paycheck in George's office at any time.
- Don't get too stressed with enemies and just focus on taking them out one at a time with headshots. It's important to not spam their bodies with bullets when they're stunned and instead just work on accurate shooting to the head. They'll die so much quicker and drop whatever weapon they're holding so they become much less dangerous...you'll get to the point where every bullet in your clip counts if you don't want to get hit.
- On that note, sometimes they won't see/hear you if you're far away or halfway around the corner. If you hear them moaning, try to inch out from behind doors and corners with the strafe buttons and kill them before they even know you're there.
- Most fishing spots contain 1 trading card. It's always in the pink present. Once you get it, there's no point of continuing to play the fishing game in that area unless you actually enjoy it, as most other items you get are super common and there's more than enough points in the game where food/sleep items infinitely respawn.
- Talk to every character more than once, sometimes the dialogue tree will change. This is essential for getting more sidequests.
- Try to meet as many town folk as possible as soon as possible. Most of the locations/sidequests in the town will be closed until you meet with their respective owners or they tie into a (side)quest. Look out for character icons on the map that are grey as they are the people you haven't met yet. Worst case scenario,
you meet all of them at the town hall meeting
which is really when the game really starts opening up.

Quick question for those who have seen this enemy: Can you kill those
huge super evil glowing-eye dogs
or are you supposed to run away? I don't have the shotgun yet and it destroyed me when I tried to use the SMG/pistol.

Oh yeah you can kill them. The best way is to run for a fence or something you can shoot over but they can't get to you.

It's not worth it though cause they give as much cash as a regular zombie and I've yet to see one drop an item.

I got interested in it, after reading so much positive comments about it, but after seeing the price for the ps3 version, no thank you :lol thats a difference of 60 bucks, wtf?!

Maybe europeans get lucky and there will be no exclusive deal.

The Interrobanger said:
Quick question for those who have seen this enemy: Can you kill those
huge super evil glowing-eye dogs
or are you supposed to run away? I don't have the shotgun yet and it destroyed me when I tried to use the SMG/pistol.

Killed it with my infinite ammo SMG! :D
I put my car between myself and the dog and just shot the hell out of it! You can get this item by doing Keiths side quest that you can obtain by buying the map from him at the milk barn!:D

Zachack

Trading cards: I found one of the "twin" cards in the Red Room but that's it so far, and I have a car (I did unlock one on a basketball hoop by playing the confusingly pointless driving game). Did I miss one during the first zombie sequence, and if so, can I go back and get it later? Does it even matter?

Will I ever need to explore much of the hotel?

Is "Morgan" York's last name?

I'm early in but my two favorite scenes so far were both during the breakfast: York's ridiculous grin during the coffee sequence and the way the background whistling music kept getting louder during the "I can't hear you across the table" conversation.

Zachack said:
Trading cards: I found one of the "twin" cards in the Red Room but that's it so far, and I have a car (I did unlock one on a basketball hoop by playing the confusingly pointless driving game). Did I miss one during the first zombie sequence, and if so, can I go back and get it later? Does it even matter?

Will I ever need to explore much of the hotel?

Is "Morgan" York's last name?

I'm early in but my two favorite scenes so far were both during the breakfast: York's ridiculous grin during the coffee sequence and the way the background whistling music kept getting louder during the "I can't hear you across the table" conversation.

No you didn't miss one. There might be an achievement tied to getting all of them, but other than that they're just random collectibles that have zero impact on anything (AFAIK)

You can explore it all in 5 mins. Most rooms are locked.

Yes. Special Agent York Morgan. But please call him York. Everyone calls him that.

is there a single video of the gameplay floating around that doesn't make the combat seem absolutely horrible?

i don't really think the quirky humor is enough for me to give the game a try.

WickedLaharl said:
is there a single video of the gameplay floating around that doesn't make the combat seem absolutely horrible?

i don't really think the quirky humor is enough for me to give the game a try.

Combat is not the focus of the game, the story is. You only seriously use combat in set "dungeons" which happen every couple of episodes. Combat is a slightly looser version of RE4, so if you're used to stop-and-shoot-over-the-shoulder style games you'll enjoy it.

WickedLaharl said:
is it more like an adventure game then? stupid videos giving me the wrong impression!

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely more of a mystery/adventure game with horror twists.

I described it earlier as No More Heroes meets House of the Dead meets Resident Evil 4 and I think I want to add Body Harvest (atmosphere, similar RPG/sidequest elements) and Hotel Dusk/Heavy Rain (detective story, profiling, clue hunting, serial killers) to the mix.

And seriously, it's $20.

Kevtones

Combat isn't unplayable and it's hardly the focus. I enjoy the combat if only for hearing the scary monster noises... DOOONNNN'TTTTTT KIILLLLL MEEEEEE

Zachack

The Interrobanger said:
Yes. Special Agent York Morgan. But please call him York. Everyone calls him that.
That's what I thought but an XBL notification popped on the screen when his full name was up.

I also love how people announce who they are and what they do, only to be followed by a freeze-frame saying exactly the same thing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Loving the game, so far. It's fucking terrible, and I'm swallowing every drop of it.

Tempted to pick up Spy Fiction for some reason.
Kaysen and Lysander are in it apparently....well their names at least.

Hate stealth games though.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Do you have any post-game impressions? Does the game(specifically the story) hold up for its 20+ hour duration?

Just curious.

Zoso said:
Do you have any post-game impressions? Does the game(specifically the story) hold up for its 20+ hour duration?

Just curious.

The only complaint I have is there is a certain enemy type towards the end that you fight too frequently and they are incredibly annoying, the story stays strong but the end bosses are kind of ridiculous. It's fun throughout overall.

Oh yeah...the vent chick. Got a bit old running past her to trigger the attack and then turn to shoot over and over and over...I wonder how long it would've taken without the magnum.
Yeah, if anything the story is the thing that holds up best throughout the entire game...it just never stops being insane.
The last bits are totally off the rails crazy going from Glen or Glenda to Story of Ricky to Batman Arkham Asylum and Loki from Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Picked up my local Gamestop's last copy, the clerk mentioned that it was "doing really well for a budget game".

About 6 hours in and it's strangely absorbing so far. Though navigation is kind of a hassle: I wish you could zoom the map out more. And I have yet to activate a sidequest, the scheduling of them is confusing.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Thanks for writing that up - I enjoyed reading it.

I'm really looking forward to starting this game. Almost done with Mass Effect 2.

Bebpo

Banned
I just started and did the prologue. Was kind of boring :\ The cutscenes were hilarious and observing stuff had some funny lines, there was some trippy stuff, but the stage and combat was really dull.

When does the game pick up?

Also what difficulty are people playing it on and how do they feel about the difficulty on the level they picked?

HiResDes

NIGHT- said:
I've decided to buy this with my $20 amazon credit from BC2. I hope you're right about this one Gaf!
They are, pretty much the best two bucks I've spent since Mirror's Edge.

HiResDes

Bebpo said:
I just started and did the prologue. Was kind of boring :\ The cutscenes were hilarious and observing stuff had some funny lines, there was some trippy stuff, but the stage and combat was really dull.

Also what difficulty are people playing it on and how do they feel about the difficulty on the level they picked?
The game picks up after you press new game at the main menu.

Bebpo said:

It's the first level in a 30+ hour game. Of course it's boring. It picks up after the hospital IMO and doesn't stop.

I've been playing on Normal and have never died other than missing QTEs a couple times, getting raped by a gigantic mutant dog in the overworld and getting hit by a car. It's pretty easy, especially once you get the SMG.

This game just seems massive. I usually only get to play for 30 minutes to an hour but damn I've hit the 11 hour mark and I'm still on episode 2 part 2. I guess its the side quests I'm doing but damn they are so worth finding and doing. Some of the rewards are AWESOME!

I can easily see myself putting in 10 plus hours more with this. I can never stop talking about how good this game is! :D

slasher_thrasher21 said:
This game just seems massive. I usually only get to play for 30 minutes to an hour but damn I've hit the 11 hour mark and I'm still on episode 2 part 2. I guess its the side quests I'm doing but damn they are so worth finding and doing. Some of the rewards are AWESOME!

I can easily see myself putting in 10 plus hours more with this. I can never stop talking about how good this game is! :D

I'm on Ep 2. Part 2 too and I think I've probably put around the same amount of time (maybe more) in the game already.

I have 43 trading cards, a few unlimited ammo weapons, a bunch of new cars and suits and I'm still not even halfway through the game. The sidequests are so fun and the characters in the town are so well written and hilarious that I can't help but want to see every single inch of the world.

Top Bottom