• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Mr_Guillotine said:
Look at the paintings with red highlights and enter them in that order.

Thanks for the help. I just figured it out on my own. Fucking thing. Man the more I play this the more I love it!

Damn some lady just offered to sleep with me and York said no! No man, no, why didn't you ask Zach damnit! lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thanks for the help. I just figured it out on my own. Fucking thing. Man the more I play this the more I love it!

Damn some lady just offered to sleep with me and York said no! No man, no, why didn't you ask Zach damnit! lol

Yeah I got stuck there and on the 3rd sidequest for the milk barn. Yeah that part was pretty random, I'm just right after that and I'm roaming around.

MiniDitka

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Wow that good huh? How long it take you over all?
A little over 24hrs but that included a lot of driving around lost :lol Need to play it again because I missed a lot of side-missions on my first playthrough.

MiniDitka said:
A little over 24hrs but that included a lot of driving around lost :lol Need to play it again because I missed a lot of side-missions on my first playthrough.

How do you get most sidequests? Just talking to people?

MiniDitka said:

I'm at 10 hours and I barely started the second chapter :lol, I don't blame you since the map is pretty bare bones when it comes to directions.

Also, Thrasher you can get missions by talking to people. A good indicator if they have a sidequest is if they have a little laptop next to their name when looking on the map, or if they have a number above their head when you see them.

Mr_Guillotine said:
I'm at 10 hours and I barely started the second chapter :lol, I don't blame you since the map is pretty bare bones when it comes to directions.

Also, Thrasher you can get missions by talking to people. A good indicator if they have a sidequest is if they have a little laptop next to their name when looking on the map, or if they have a number above their head when you see them.

Hey, yeah I was fooling around and just discovered that notepad looking icon as well. Damn... I just did a bunch of sidequest stuff. Holy shit balls! Barely did any missions on Episode 2 yet! Man when I told the cop
I used to dress like a punk rocker and she turned and opened her mouth
I was dying in laughter.:lol

Yeah I just passed that part as well, I Just picked up a bunch of infinite ammo and infinite endurance weapons from sidequests. These will probably make things a lot easier.

Metiphis

Ok you guys have sold me, I am a die hard Twin Peaks fan and I need to play this now.

Also for people just getting into Twin Peaks. The show is a slow burn. It takes its time and can seem slow, but it builds character, does weird shit, and if you have the patience to give it a chance, will mess with your head big time as it goes.

I don't support the second season as much, as David Lynch all but bailed out when the actual murder of Laura Palmer was solved, well at least an aspect of it :)

Is this a joke thread?
February 22, 2010 - Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system. That may seem like a harsh statement, but it's been a long time since I've played any boxed retail game on any system that feels this amateurish.
2/10
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070909p1.html

first real survival-horror? Condemned ?, Condemened 2?, Bioshock?, Bioshock 2?, Resident Evil?, etc.

It's a fun game, IGN even says it could have been the "Shenmue Killer" if it came out earlier. I don't see how that makes it any less fun because it came out years later, this isn't the first time IGN has been wrong and nor will it be the last.

m_tc008.jpg

hayden-panettiere-43.jpg

what's going on here

anyway game looks cool! I'll try to get it later

Mr_Guillotine said:
Yeah I just passed that part as well, I Just picked up a bunch of infinite ammo and infinite endurance weapons from sidequests. These will probably make things a lot easier.

Oh sweet can you tell me what sidequest you did for some of these? So far I've only gotten a discount for the Barn Market. That was a neat little side mini game. What you say though truly makes me think the ign reviewer didn't play much or deep into it. I'm sure with weapons like that, health kinda is a moot thing. Will see. I picked up some bait and a fishing rod so I'm going to go fished next! WOOHOO!

Also I feel pretty stupid. Those item cutscenes everytime you grab a item, remember how I said that bothered me alot cuz it does it for everything? Well I discovered last night that start is the key to skipping everything... I mean everything. The cutscene to get into the car, the item screen, etc. Thats a HUGE plus imo. Wish I knew that earlier.

HiResDes

Arpharmd B said:
I don't know what's sadder, the fact that you completely missed the point or the fact you think Bioshock is survival horror.
You could even make the case, and a good one that RE5 isn't either.

bryehn

So is this terrible in a good way like Raw Danger, EDF 2017 or Obscure 2? Or just terrible. I am genuinely interested in picking it up.

bryehn said:
So is this terrible in a good way like Raw Danger, EDF 2017 or Obscure 2? Or just terrible. I am genuinely interested in picking it up.

Terrible in a good way! Hey DITKA! Would you say the pace stays the same througout or does it get a bit faster or slower in places later in the episodes?

Holy shit even the hair and eyes match.

Anyway I just got a car upgrade that raises my max speed. Can't drive over 55 huh IGN? Fucking useless cunts.

LOL I'm at 17 hours and I'm only halfway through Episode 2. This game just sucks time away. Got the highscore in darts and won a backpack that allows me to carry more weapons.

careksims

Damn there is a PS3 version in full English... but at full price!? Dammit! Still I bought the 360 version! It's so damn quirky and $20!

Either I bite on that version too or hopefully it might come over here to the States...

Until then I will enjoy it now. lol.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy shit even the hair and eyes match.

Anyway I just got a car upgrade that raises my max speed. Can't drive over 55 huh IGN? Fucking useless cunts.

LOL I'm at 17 hours and I'm only halfway through Episode 2. This game just sucks time away. Got the highscore in darts and won a backpack that allows me to carry more weapons.
Yeah I thought that picture matched pretty damn well!

Making the car faster, that thes mission where you have to get the engine part in the junkyard right? I kept asking myself "How the FUCK do I get over there!?" BTW whats the side mission for the backpack? Also...the guy at the gas station wants me to play him darts but I need the gun first. Where the hell do I get it!?

BattleMonkey said:
Make shitty game, just make it batshit insane and all is forgiven.

The game isn't shitty though. Production values? maybe but really its a great game underneath the somewhat ugly and rough exterior.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
BTW whats the side mission for the backpack?
Beat the high score in the dart game at the SWERY '65 bar.

Also...the guy at the gas station wants me to play him darts but I need the gun first. Where the hell do I get it!?
You need to buy it from the bartender father of Quint there at the same SWERY bar...it's on the list of things he can sell you if you look at his drink list.

Awww...someone is trolling this game as shitty and only getting by on only its weirdness. Too bad you can't see the beauty within, man. The game is definitely something out of time, like a shelved early last-gen game only brought to market now. But if you can lower your auto-defenses to the audio-visual roughness and some initial jankiness in the control, it's actually a very solid action-adventure with some truly entertaining story progression and character dialogue. It helps that it's $20 brand new, so expectations should be kept in check for maximum impact. If you like Shenmue (because the game is clearly modeled on the structure of that game) or older-school 'survival horror' games (like Silent Hill and the Clock Tower titles), there's a good chance you'll like this game.

Thanks Mighty Hedgehog! Guess I have to go to the bar more towards the night. oh and the name Swery, that the creators name if I remember correctly. I appreciate how they throwing things in there like that. For example the license plates. One said vidgames or something to that effect and the one now say spyfctn in reference to Spy Fiction.

Zachack

I picked this up at EB and have only managed to watch the intro sequence. I will say this, for a low budget game it's somehow nice to know that Silent Hill 3 is now the baseline for visuals (techwise). The old dude with the creepy twins looks right about how oldman.jpg looks.

The "hair bikini" texture was pretty ridiculous, though. And the extremely overwrought sobbing got me laughing.

Zachack said:
I picked this up at EB and have only managed to watch the intro sequence. I will say this, for a low budget game it's somehow nice to know that Silent Hill 3 is now the baseline for visuals (techwise). The old dude with the creepy twins looks right about how oldman.jpg looks.

The "hair bikini" texture was pretty ridiculous, though. And the extremely overwrought sobbing got me laughing.

Just wait man, your in for a wierd and wild treat and thats just me speaking from having played all the first episode and little of the second...outta 5!

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh sweet can you tell me what sidequest you did for some of these? So far I've only gotten a discount for the Barn Market. That was a neat little side mini game. What you say though truly makes me think the ign reviewer didn't play much or deep into it. I'm sure with weapons like that, health kinda is a moot thing. Will see. I picked up some bait and a fishing rod so I'm going to go fished next! WOOHOO!

Also I feel pretty stupid. Those item cutscenes everytime you grab a item, remember how I said that bothered me alot cuz it does it for everything? Well I discovered last night that start is the key to skipping everything... I mean everything. The cutscene to get into the car, the item screen, etc. Thats a HUGE plus imo. Wish I knew that earlier.

You can get the Inifite ammo guns from Brian, and you have to buy a map from Keith but I think there are more. Oh and I got a really ridiculous weapon from doing all the milk barn sidequests from Lilly, definitely try and get that one. You'll be in for a surprise. :D

The car controls have taken a turn for the better once I've been able to get the upgrades from Lysander and buy a new car. Still can't put this down, the story has pulled me in.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thanks Mighty Hedgehog! Guess I have to go to the bar more towards the night. oh and the name Swery, that the creators name if I remember correctly. I appreciate how they throwing things in there like that. For example the license plates. One said vidgames or something to that effect and the one now say spyfctn in reference to Spy Fiction.

I believe it opens around 18:00 or 19:00, and yeah I noticed the license plates as well. I think I saw a license plate on George's car that read "ILUVMOM". :lol

I feel like the IGN reviewer played the prologue and first chapter and pretty much gave up on the game, pretty sad.

MiniDitka

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Terrible in a good way! Hey DITKA! Would you say the pace stays the same througout or does it get a bit faster or slower in places later in the episodes?
The pacing stays pretty consistent throughout the game. Because this game is so cutscene intensive its kind up to the player to determine the pacing, you want to take it slow and absorb all the quirkiness the game has to offer then it can be slow at times, however if you want to jump right in and get to the action all you have to do is skip the cutscene which is something all games should allow you to do. I'll probably start another playthrough after I finish editing the vids from the first.

MiniDitka said:
The pacing stays pretty consistent throughout the game. Because this game is so cutscene intensive its kind up to the player to determine the pacing, you want to take it slow and absorb all the quirkiness the game has to offer then it can be slow at times, however if you want to jump right in and get to the action all you have to do is skip the cutscene which is something all games should allow you to do. I'll probably start another playthrough after I finish editing the vids from the first.

Well I guess I should rephrase that. Do the main missions stay about the same or does the story ramp up and get sorta in your face OMG! like?

Mr_Guillotine said:
You can get the Inifite ammo guns from Brian, and you have to buy a map from Keith but I think there are more. Oh and I got a really ridiculous weapon from doing all the milk barn sidequests from Lilly, definitely try and get that one. You'll be in for a surprise. :D

The car controls have taken a turn for the better once I've been able to get the upgrades from Lysander and buy a new car. Still can't put this down, the story has pulled me in.

Yeah I bought the map from Keith. That was hilarious. As for the milk barn sidequests. Can I talk to Lilly now that I finished the first one and get her to prompt for the second or do I have to wait for the next episode? Thats another thing, it tells when the sidemissions can be done on the list of them. Thats the time they are availible to do correct? I was thinking it was but one time said 26 and then I was just confused.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah I bought the map from Keith. That was hilarious. As for the milk barn sidequests. Can I talk to Lilly now that I finished the first one and get her to prompt for the second or do I have to wait for the next episode? Thats another thing, it tells when the sidemissions can be done on the list of them. Thats the time they are availible to do correct? I was thinking it was but one time said 26 and then I was just confused.

Yeah the whole campfire feeling of that was just :lol, I'm not sure since I did them in different episodes, if she's not responding now just try the next episode. Yeah I noticed that too and I think you're right, at least there's a way to figure out when missions are available. I think 26 must be at the end of chapter 3 or something.

Gameshark

Neo Member
My coffee told me today that I'd be playing a different game, and my milk confirmed it when it said I'd be playing a game that will change my life forever. Lucky item: Lighter.

I don't really know what to say about this game other then it's amazing. I'm glad I took the plunge based on what Sunnie said about it. Sadly us Canadians got the +$5 tax, but this game is totally worth $24.99! I don't know if the creator of this game is either extremely insane, or a bona fide genius. Probably a mix of both at this point.

On the enemies in the game, can anyone understand what they're saying while you're shooting them? Sounds like they're trying to say "I don't wanna die," or something to that effect. I could probably hear them if it weren't for Agent Morgan--call me Morgan, everyone calls me Morgan--saying "Headshot, bulls-eye, yes!" every time I shoot someone.

Don't be a fool and skip this game!

I still can't believe I bought this game over Heavy Rain, but I have no regrets.

Tek

I ended up buying this yesterday due to this thread. It was the only copy at Gamestop and the clerks made fun of my purchase...but I said hey I've bought a bunch of games for 60.00 and felt ripped off, if this game is just half as good as that, I think I made a good purchase...

and I did...

The game reminds me of something I would play on the dreamcast. I don't know why, maybe the ps2 quality graphics, the weirdness of it all...but I just get that feeling.

Not sure how far I am, just made it to the town and trying to find the cop the right key...which is pretty :lol all in itself.

My wife had the biggest wtf look on her face while I was playing this and the music is so off base.

So far I don't regret my purchase one bit....20 dollars well spent...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cant wait to order the Asian version. Have to hold onto my funds for now though since FFXIII and Pokemon SS+DSi will drain my videogame funds for the beginning of March. :lol

HiResDes said:
You could even make the case, and a good one that RE5 isn't either.

Two-shay. (sorry don't know how to spell that).

Lost In Nightmares is survival horror at it's finest. Too bad it's an hour long.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
More satisfied players! Looks like the games not too bad huh Zach?:lol :D

Yeah, it's good hearing other people enjoy the game. I feel like a lot of people will pass up on it because of the review, more people need to give it a chance. I've had a lot more fun with this game than some AAA multimillion dollar budget games.

Mr_Guillotine said:
Yeah, it's good hearing other people enjoy the game. I feel like a lot of people will pass up on it because of the review, more people need to give it a chance. I've had a lot more fun with this game than some AAA multimillion dollar budget games.

Its fresh, its unique, its odd, its full of movie quotes, weird characters, interesting story, its like if gta, re4, silent hill, and harvest moon had a baby... and its indeed as fucked up as it sounds! Right Zach? :D Now excuse me while I go clean my suit and shave.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gameshark said:
I don't really know what to say about this game other then it's amazing. I'm glad I took the plunge based on what Sunnie said about it.

I'm glad you took a chance on it. I keep pushing people to dive in, and so far, so good. :D

Top Bottom