• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Does anyone know if after you beat the game and replay the chapters do you keep your weapons/suits/cards? I just completed the side quests for Sigourney and I got a sweet looking suit and two cars, man this game just keeps surprising me with all its unlockables.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I went to two gamestops and they were both sold out.

Either they weren't carrying many copies or the word is getting around about this unique game.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Clevinger said:
the former is more likely
True, but I have been hearing way more positive impressions than I was expecting. I was surprised anyone in my area bought it at all.

Zoso said:
True, but I have been hearing way more positive impressions than I was expecting. I was surprised anyone in my area bought it at all.

Really? Most other forums I see a lot of bashing of the game going on because of 2/10, mostly because nobody on the forum is man enough to try it out due to being laughed at by others I guess.

Clevinger

Mr_Guillotine said:
Really? Most other forums I see a lot of bashing of the game going on because of 2/10, mostly because nobody on the forum is man enough to try it out due to being laughed at by others I guess.

Something Awful's thread is pretty much universal praise from the people playing it.

MiniDitka

Mr_Guillotine said:
Does anyone know if after you beat the game and replay the chapters do you keep your weapons/suits/cards? I just completed the side quests for Sigourney and I got a sweet looking suit and two cars, man this game just keeps surprising me with all its unlockables.
I'm pretty sure when I replayed a chapter last night after I had beaten the game all my stuff I acquired carried over. I'll double check later on to make sure that is the case.

Clevinger said:
Something Awful's thread is pretty much universal praise from the people playing it.

Really? That's good to hear, I'm glad there are at least a few other forums giving this game its proper appreciation.

Zoso

I dunno, I just google searched "Deadly Premonition impressions" to hear how people liked it and I found quite a few positive impressions. There was always that guy that came in and said, "lol r u guys joking it got a 2.0 on IGN." but most everyone that played the game was really digging it. I remember the Something Awful Thread was especially positive.

It was enough to confirm my purchase. Just debating whether I should buy it online or wait till it's in-stock locally.

mjc

Grabbed a copy at Gamestop today after classes, might crack into it tonight. When I got to the register the dude was making sure that I knew this was a budget game with plenty of problems, but I told him I knew what I was expecting. He said another co-worker of his took it out a couple days ago to try and he hated it, but it was mostly because he was expecting a high-grade AAA experience out of it.

Looking forward to playing it.

mjc

Zoso said:
I dunno, I just google searched "Deadly Premonition impressions" to hear how people liked it and I found quite a few positive impressions. There was always that guy that came in and said, "lol r u guys joking it got a 2.0 on IGN." but most everyone that played the game was really digging it. I remember the Something Awful Thread was especially positive.

It was enough to confirm my purchase. Just debating whether I should buy it online or wait till it's in-stock locally.

What pushed me to get it is the unique impressions that people had of the gameplay and cutscenes. I'm expecting PS2/Xbox level graphics but that's alright with me. It's a $20 game.

mjc said:
Grabbed a copy at Gamestop today after classes, might crack into it tonight. When I got to the register the dude was making sure that I knew this was a budget game with plenty of problems, but I told him I knew what I was expecting. He said another co-worker of his took it out a couple days ago to try and he hated it, but it was mostly because he was expecting a high-grade AAA experience out of it.

Looking forward to playing it.

Yeah, I told a friend of mine who loves Survival-Horror games to check it out and now he's asking me if I have my receipt since he wants to turn it back in. I understand that the game may not be for everyone but he seemed like a shoe in for the type that like this, I'm not even a huge fan of these types of games but I really am enjoying my time with it. I think his complaints were something about the story and the gameplay, he got to the part just before chapter 2 I believe.

Zachack

Zoso said:
It's both. Word of mouth is causing the few copies floating around to sell out. When I bought mine the manager didn't know what the game was but his fairly goony cohort had an idea of what it was. Both seemed more interested when I explained why I was getting it (word of mouth, Twin Peaks, $20).

The price tag is certainly a big help, though.

Picked it up after work today at the EB at Queen/Spadina in Toronto. I was told I was the first person to inquire/buy a copy from them.

It's pretty awesome and random so far. Would definitely say it's a cool little mashup of No More Heroes, House of the Dead and Resident Evil 4.

Zoso said:

Thats funny I said those exact words to the employee at gamestop when I was picking up my copy lastnight. So far im enjoying it. I will post more impressions later

Any word on if anything transfers over to the next play through? I've gotten almost all the sidequests done, I missed all of Emily's though. I'm on scene 14 and so far got everything, finding the cards is gonna be really hard though.

MiniDitka

Mr_Guillotine said:
Any word on if anything transfers over to the next play through? I've gotten almost all the sidequests done, I missed all of Emily's though. I'm on scene 14 and so far got everything, finding the cards is gonna be really hard though.
This is what it says when starting a new game

Starting a new game will overwrite your previous save data that was created when you cleared the "DEADLEY PREMONITION" game.

All gallery and trading card data viewable from the Red Room will be deleted and the section for the Red Room in the title menu will not be selectable. Do you wish to proceed?

Edit: Just found the option to watch the cutscenes and listen to all the music in the game :D Time to record these and convert them to mp3.

Ya'll need to wake up and truly realize how fucking stupid "reviews" are.

Ya'll also need to not give a shit because the game gets no love. That's part of draw of a game like this.

Look at it this way. You been gaming for ten years or more at least. I think at this point you know what you like.

Also look at it this way. What kind of music do you listen to? Man I couldn't even tell you what Rolling Stone or whatever magazine would rate my music I like. And I don't care. And neither should you. By the same token I'm not running out and buying music I don't like just because Spin gave it 5 star rating. Catch my drift?

I love shit like Shenmue, D, D2, Deep Fear. When I read the IGN review and he starts talking about the Shenmue esque qualities, the flies that surround his head if he doesn't change shower, and the self aware B-game sense of humor, right there I knew I was all over this shit :lol .

Holy crap @ end of Chapter 2. That's all I'll say.

I dunno but I'm unironically enjoying the combat in this game. It helps that I've unlocked a few more weapons so I have more tools to work with.

Shotgun - Great for crowd control as it can hit multiple guys at once and almost always knockdown. (Gotten at end of chapter 2 and sidequest in Chapter 3)

Magnum - Kills easily but the clip is tiny(4 bullets!). (Collect all seven bones located around town and go run into Willie. He should steal them. Then just go to wherever Kaysen's truck is parked and you'll get the bones back + the Magnum)

Flamethrower - Gotta be close and you don't get money for kills but it does destroy baddies very quickly (Give bones to Bruce or whatever that undead-looking dude is who chills at the graveyard...make sure you do this after getting the Magnum).

SMG - Big clip and it keeps enemies tied down in "stun-lock" animation. This is fine and all if it's just one enemy but it takes forever to kill foes in side-areas so eh. (Chapter 1 and sidequest in Chapter 2 iirc)

The close-range weapons can be useful though it's imperative to know the monster's animations in order to get close without getting grabbed.

It's kind of satisfying darting between bad guys, properly using the sneak, and then just clearing everything with no problems. Still can't kill a
Giant Dog
in a fair fight though.

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmm.. You don't have to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

I know they aren't saying that, but it's all I hear.

Man I tried doing that side quest in the tunnel you get from Keith and I died! FUCK! I'm guessing I just have to keep making my way through those doube doors. I got surrounded and forgot to check my health. So I decided to hit up the old lady at the motel and did a minor side quest for her. After that it was late and I started getting sleepy. Hopefully I can go ahead and get back to the game this weekend!

HOLY SHIT at the mention of all those weapons. Do you just get those as you progress through the game, or did you obtain them at the gun store? (which is never fucking open for me yet!) I got shotgun shells awhile back but never got an actualy shotgun.

Arpharmd B said:
Ya'll need to wake up and truly realize how fucking stupid "reviews" are.

Ya'll also need to not give a shit because the game gets no love. That's part of draw of a game like this.

Look at it this way. You been gaming for ten years or more at least. I think at this point you know what you like.

Also look at it this way. What kind of music do you listen to? Man I couldn't even tell you what Rolling Stone or whatever magazine would rate my music I like. And I don't care. And neither should you. By the same token I'm not running out and buying music I don't like just because Spin gave it 5 star rating. Catch my drift?

I love shit like Shenmue, D, D2, Deep Fear. When I read the IGN review and he starts talking about the Shenmue esque qualities, the flies that surround his head if he doesn't change shower, and the self aware B-game sense of humor, right there I knew I was all over this shit :lol .

More people need to read this. Seriously.

Slasher, try alternating between holding your breath/sneak and backing out by quick-turning and adding distance between you and the zombie people. Unfortunately, I think gun-toting ones can still take shots once they've seen you, but melee-focused ones will just stop seeing you while you can hold your breath (and don't forget to not let it go to the top of your stress meter). Those stabilizers really help, of course. Of course, making sure you're not too close, or in direct view of too many (by sticking to cover, and limiting angles of view) will ensure that you only have to deal with a smaller group at one time since the game does employ a pretty clear sense of AI vision.

I hope this game comes out in Europe ive been hyped for this ever since its initial announcment and now its out, does anyone know where I can order ps3 games that ship to europe.

MightyHedgehog said:
Slasher, try alternating between holding your breath/sneak and backing out by quick-turning and adding distance between you and the zombie people. Unfortunately, I think gun-toting ones can still take shots once they've seen you, but melee-focused ones will just stop seeing you while you can hold your breath (and don't forget to not let it go to the top of your stress meter). Those stabilizers really help, of course. Of course, making sure you're not too close, or in direct view of too many (by sticking to cover, and limiting angles of view) will ensure that you only have to deal with a smaller group at one time since the game does employ a pretty clear sense of AI vision.

Thanks for the tips. My problem is that I end up forgetting the hold breath thing. Gotta remember it! :D

mjc

Is there a time limit on how long you can hold your breath? I haven't had to do it yet (still at the tail end of chapter 1) but I could see it being useful if I get surrounded.

There's something about this game that I just can't place my finger on. I started playing it last night around 5pm and didn't stop until five hours later. The way (I think) it pokes fun at itself and doesn't take things too seriously is damn charming. I always laugh a bit when the music starts to overtake the conversation it's set to, and I'm on the floor rolling when York gives his creepy smile.

I love this game.

mjc said:
Is there a time limit on how long you can hold your breath? I haven't had to do it yet (still at the tail end of chapter 1) but I could see it being useful if I get surrounded.
Yeah, it's about twenty seconds from zero to full in a straight shot. So, when the stress/heart rate meter reaches its maximum, your ability to run is blocked for the duration of the resulting panic attack, your aim with guns becomes erratic, and you're unable to hold your breath again until your panicking condition subsides and you return to normal. Your strength of melee attacks might also be compromised, but you can certainly still perform them.

Just try holding your breath at any time until it maxes to get an idea of how to deal or, at least, gain a healthy appreciation for why you don't want it happen in the middle of a zombie person/mega dog/other weird shit encounter. Downing a stabilizer item will give you a temporary level of heightened resistance to maxing the bar out if you need to get through a crowded situation with not enough health or too many dangerous enemies. The use of the stabilizer also helps to resist the panic attack that ensues when you run continuously for too long. And that's when they've occurred for me...when running away from something right after sneaking through a crowd. Not a good situation when you're unable to shoot for shit and are handed off from one zombie dance to another draining your health the whole time.

Even if you get a lot of unlimited ammo weapons through the side missions, the ramping up of enemy numbers and the bottlenecking of pathways where they spawn is such that you'll likely need to do it more often as you go forward.

Magnum - Kills easily but the clip is tiny(4 bullets!). (Collect all seven bones located around town and go run into Willie. He should steal them. Then just go to wherever Kaysen's truck is parked and you'll get the bones back + the Magnum)

Wait, does this have infinite ammo? I got a sword from the dog with 6 bones so I guess it changes according to how many bones you have.

So far I'm in the 4th chapter and the story is really taking a lot of twists and turns, I'm really liking the story and I feel like it's a real murder mystery game.

MiniDitka

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy crap @ end of Chapter 2. That's all I'll say.

Thats weird because my magnum has 6 bullets.

I've never seen twin peaks before, and reading the somethingawful thread it seems to have watched them before would make the game even more enjoyable. So far I just got my cop car and the game has been pretty hilarious so far, sure its low budget, and basically a ps2 level game in looks but its damn weird, and sort of charming in a way. For 20 bucks it was a good buy so far.

I swear your expression will be like o_O ........ o_O most of the time when playing it :lol

Also does this seem more like alan wake was originally going to be than the actual alan wake ended up? (albeit a low low budget version), but a gta/survival horror?

ZombieSupaStar said:
I've never seen twin peaks before, and reading the somethingawful thread it seems to have watched them before would make the game even more enjoyable. So far I just got my cop car and the game has been pretty hilarious so far, sure its low budget, and basically a ps2 level game in looks but its damn weird, and sort of charming in a way. For 20 bucks it was a good buy so far.

I swear your expression will be like o_O ........ o_O most of the time when playing it :lol

Also does this seem more like alan wake was originally going to be than the actual alan wake ended up? (albeit a low low budget version), but a gta/survival horror?

I'm actually gonna start watching it because of this game myself, I watched one half of the pilot but couldn't find the rest, it seems like a good show.

The weird thing about this game is I had no intentions of buying Alan Wake until it was way cheaper but since I've been playing this game it has shot up to my must buy list right next to Red Dead Redemption.:D

fk_inthecoffee.jpg

F K .... IN THE COFFEE!

vital

Banned
McKeeverFever said:
I hope this game comes out in Europe ive been hyped for this ever since its initial announcment and now its out, does anyone know where I can order ps3 games that ship to europe.

play-asia.com has it but it's about $85 CDN :(

Zoso

Woohoo found a copy today. The Gamestop employee actually knew his stuff too - he was talking about how he was interested in this game back when it was Rainy Woods. I haven't come across many Gamestop employees that actually seem to know a lot about games. Plus I expected to get made fun of because most people think this game sucks.

I'm going to start it after I finish Mass Effect 2.

Kevtones

This just might be my GOTY. Somehow.

EDIT: My ONLY complaint is the easy achievements. There are so many COULD BE AWESOME AS BALLNUTSFUCK achievements in this game.

I Push Fat Kids said:
This just might be my GOTY. Somehow.

EDIT: My ONLY complaint is the easy achievements. There are so many COULD BE AWESOME AS BALLNUTSFUCK achievements in this game.

I'm really kinda there with agreeing with you, the game actually made me feel like I was a schizophrenic detective in the middle of a murder mystery in a tiny town and I loved it. This game has so much heart and you can tell the developers really went crazy with the idea.

I just beat the game and it takes some really crazy twists and turns towards the end, my only complaint was it got really ridiculous towards the end with the supernatural stuff. I still plan on having another play through soon, I'm really glad I picked it up and was surprised how much the story and the feeling of being a part of the town sucked me in.

Top Bottom