• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Will Star in X-Force, Plus More on the Future of the X-Men Film Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD EDIT: Original story from Deadline interview.

Link. Duh, on the first part.

Logan truly feels like the end of an era for the X-Men movies. Not just because Hugh Jackman is leaving the character behind, but because it comes at a time when the franchise itself feels up in the air. X-Men: Apocalypse disappointed, Deadpool wowed, and TV entry Legion is surprising. Who knows what's next?

Simon Kinberg does. He's the executive producer of Legion. He produced Logan, as well as Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse. And he's the rumored frontrunner to direct the next X-Men movie. Recently, he spoke to Deadline and dropped some revealing updates on all things X-Men movies. We'll start with the non-spoiler stuff before getting into the Logan ramifications. Here's the overview:

We are working hard on New Mutants, Gambit with Channing Tatum, Deadpool 2 and the new X-Force movie where Deadpool is alongside Cable and other main characters.

That may be the first time we've heard definitively that Deadpool will be in the X-Force movie, though it was obviously the assumption. As for what that film will be, Kinberg continued:

X-Force is a combination of Deadpool, and Cable –they're like the Black ops of the X-Men. They're much darker and have an R-rated decibel. There are other X-Men characters coming into X-Force at different times in the comic, but it's separate from X-Men.

Of course, we recently heard Joe Carnahan is writing a script for X-Force and while he doesn't mention that, the way Kinberg talks about it, he seems to expect it to happen fairly quickly. Definitely before a third Deadpool movie at least. But, we guess, X-Force is kind of its own Deadpool sequel in a way.

Oddly, when asked the order of what's next movie-wise, Kinberg mentioned Deadpool 2 and X-Force but not New Mutants, which many assumed would be next to go into production after Deadpool 2. That may still be the case and maybe it just slipped his mind, but it's interesting to note.

Kinberg then explained that while there is a plan for the movies to connect, that is not their main goal.

There is a larger architecture to tell these stories in. I talk to the studio all the time about this and there is a plan for how these movies can connect and be a part of a larger narrative. It's something that's fun, exciting and it will be interesting to see how we marry the different tones that we've been generating in these standalone movies of the X-Men universe. But we go into making the best movie we can. It's not just about a Colossus or Deadpool cameo. Connecting all of these movies will happen when it organically makes sense. These movies aren't simply being built as stepping stones to a larger story. Each one is wholly enclosed and a movie worth seeing.

The writer-producer also doesn't deny the rumors that he could direct the next X-Men movie, whenever that would be, but he doesn't confirm them either.

More at the link that's spoilery for Logan. Gambit ain't happening and we all know it.

Qvoth

thought channing tatum's gambit was already cancelled or something
wtzgU.gif

Fury451

Banned
Well that kind of bums me out for X-Force. He's a small doses character for me but he prints that money now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fox pretending Gambit is happening is almost as bad as DC pretending that Cyborg movie will happen. Or Marvel having a real Inhumans film.

Carnahan doing the script for X-Force could be a win. I really enjoyed The Grey. And Smoking Aces was dumb fun.

It's pretty obvious that Deadpool is going to be the face of these X films moving forward. Sorta like how Iron Man became the center of the Marvel universe.

caliph95

I hope they treat Deadpool the way uncanny treated Deapool where he doesn't dominate the story and is less obnoxious. I like Deadpool but he can be potentially too much.
Fox pretending Gambit is happening is almost as bad as DC pretending that Cyborg movie will happen. Or Marvel having a real Inhumans film. .
Inhumans, at least a tv show is happening to be fair, but Gambit and Cyborg is a lost cause. No one cares.

MartyStu

Well that kind of bums me out for X-Force. He's a small doses character for me but he prints that money now.

So just like the comics?

To be fair, X-Force is actually a group you want Deadpool to be in. He works really well with all the tryhards on the team.

Especially if they go with best X-Force + Plus Cable - Wolverine.

Fury451

Banned
So just like the comics?

To be fair, X-Force is actually a group you want Deadpool to be in. He works really well with all the tryhards on the team.

Especially if they go with best X-Force + Plus Cable - Wolverine.

I'm familiar with the comics, yes. He's fine there. I'm talking about movie Deadpool in particular.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hope they can figure out some time travel shenanigans to get Psylocke on the team for X-Force.

It bothers me how screwy the X-Men universe timeline is.

Bernbaum

I'm happy that X-movies will take a different direction but are still somewhat intrinsically linked to the original films, even if major parts are rebooted.

It'll be the one comic book film franchise that is as messy and retconny as the source material.

Interesting, interesting. I do like the angle of the films not meaning to connect but that doesn't half create a lot of confusion when they try to connect them.

That's why with DOFP you kind of have to move backwards with assuming 'some variation' of X1/X2 happened but not specifically due to mystique being such a big player in Erik and Charles' lives.

I guess what I mean is that this is really the only thing that makes sense to me:

X1 - X2 - X3 - The Wolverine
X1 - X2 - (some variation of X3 - a cut scene stated Wolverine killed Jean Grey) - (some variation of The Wolverine - Logan has the sword in Logan) - Logan
First Class - Days of Future Past - Apocalypse - Days of Future Past Epilogue
Deadpool

Then again I also realise it doesn't really matter.

His comments do make me wonder if New Mutants wont be set in the First Class-verse, I'd assumed it would be. I still don't like the 10 years jumps as it lefts a lot unsaid, I felt like DOFP implied that Wolverine wouldn't go through Weapon X when Mystique was Stryker.

Slayven

Deadpol featuring X-force is missing the point of X-force

Fox sees a cash cow in Deadpool and they going to push him in everything for good and not good

Going in less conventional directions with the X-Men, like with Legion, and doing Deadpool and soon X-Force.

It's only a matter of time before we see Doop on the big screen in an X-Statix movie!

Honestly I feel a lot of X-Statix has gotten even more relevant than when it came out with celebrities on instagram and twitter and selfies and livestreaming and all that.

The world is ready for X-Statix the movie.

Falchion

All I know is that Deadpool needs to be in as much stuff as possible. If Marvel is too scared to put him in the MCU, the Deadpool / X-men verse should be improved.

Sesha

Deadpol featuring X-force is missing the point of X-force

Fox sees a cash cow in Deadpool and they going to push him in everything for good and not good

It's like the X-Men movies being mostly Wolverine featuring the X-Men. They will never learn.

All I know is that Deadpool needs to be in as much stuff as possible. If Marvel is too scared to put him in the MCU, the Deadpool / X-men verse should be improved.

Marvel can't put him in the MCU, even if they wanted.

Slayven

Going in less conventional directions with the X-Men, like with Legion, and doing Deadpool and soon X-Force.

It's only a matter of time before we see Doop on the big screen in an X-Statix movie!

Honestly I feel a lot of X-Statix has gotten even more relevant than when it came out with celebrities on instagram and twitter and selfies and livestreaming and all that.

The world is ready for X-Statix the movie.

X-statix, a book about a team and their interpersonal relationships? Fox hasn't done a an x-men movie with their interpersonal relationships, can't imagine how they would handle something like U-go girl.

X-statix, a book about a team and their interpersonal relationships? Fox hasn't done a an x-men movie with their interpersonal relationships, can't imagine how they would handle something like U-go girl.

Know they talked about Alpha Flight and Exiles for the future.

Slayven

Know they talked about Alpha Flight and Exiles for the future.

Do they have the rights to Alpha FLight, Department H was already mentioned in Agents of Shield. And an all mutant Alpha flight would be terrible. Exiles, i pray they never touch that

Kusagari

I love how movie Deadpool is almost completely replicating the way comic Deadpool took over Wolverine's role in appearing in every comic book whether it was warranted or not.

Fox you bastids, I want an Apocalypse trilogy

En Sabah Nur : An Apocalypse Tale – Show En Sabah Nur as a kid, abandoned by his family and taken in by the Akkaba clan (think that’s what they were called) and show him rise through the ranks then his people get wiped out

Rise of Apocalypse: An Apocalypse Tale – Comes across Celestial tech thrashes Kang claims the tech becomes Apocalypse and gets revenge for the death of his people, falls in love then gets betrayed and gets mad.

Age of Apocalypse: An Apocalypse Tale - Goes through time and wrecks shit, conquers earth then Cable turns up for epic battle and Apocalypse gets defeated coz Deadpool turns up to help Cable. Apocalypse fired into space or thrown outside time, end movie with James Bond style ‘Apocalypse will return’

Rated R and you will have the best CBM trilogy of all time right there.

Fury451

Banned
People hate Deadpool now?

24NwgqM.gif

He's had the Wolverine problem in comics for awhile imo, hes just in everything, along with multiple ongoings of his own depending on the point in time- depending on who's writing though, he can be good but hes so easy to overdo. LIke putting too much salt in a meal.

Movie Deadpool lost me pretty quick after the hype wore off, but he's Fox's new cash cow and I don't think they're going to be tactful with his exposure so much as carpet bombing moviegoers until they've had enough.

Slayven

He's had the Wolverine problem in comics for awhile imo, hes just in everything, along with multiple ongoings of his own depenting on the time- depending on who's writing though, he can be good. Movie Deadpool lost me pretty quick after the hype wore off, but he's Fox's new cash cow and I don't think they're going to be tactful with his exposure so much as carpet bombing moviegoers until they've had enough.

Amazing how much they are like the 90s x-men. Over exposure of characters, conflicting timelines, etc.

Arkeband

Banned
Fox you bastids, I want an Apocalypse trilogy

En Sabah Nur : An Apocalypse Tale – Show En Sabah Nur as a kid, abandoned by his family and taken in by the Akkaba clan (think that’s what they were called) and show him rise through the ranks then his people get wiped out

Rise of Apocalypse: An Apocalypse Tale – Comes across Celestial tech thrashes Kang claims the tech becomes Apocalypse and gets revenge for the death of his people, falls in love then gets betrayed and gets mad.

Age of Apocalypse: An Apocalypse Tale - Goes through time and wrecks shit, conquers earth then Cable turns up for epic battle and Apocalypse gets defeated coz Deadpool turns up to help Cable. Apocalypse fired into space or thrown outside time, end movie with James Bond style ‘Apocalypse will return’

Rated R and you will have the best CBM trilogy of all time right there.

Are you the world's #1 Apocalypse fan?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The way the interview reads, it doesn't sound like he has completely written up a normal Xmen sequel. Such a movie may be years away.

X Force is exciting. Full steam ahead on that one.

Deadpool movies gonna hit Waypool levels of overexposure and awfulness here before too long at this rate.

And just like those comics I'll watch every goddamn movie.

Sapiens

People hate Deadpool now?

24NwgqM.gif

People were hoping fox's marvel properties would collapse so they could be folded into the marvel universe proper. Then came along deadpool, which delays the "plan" for a while. They hate what he represents. They're not getting the Sony-Spider-Man situation.

FrodoYolo

Banned
People were hoping fox's marvel properties would collapse so they could be folded into the marvel universe proper. Then came along deadpool, which delays the "plan" for a while. They hate what he represents. They're not getting the Sony-Spider-Man situation.
Which is stupid anyway, considering we have had 3 very similar spidermen, meanwhile we have had 1 Wolverine. Shits worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom