• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Will Star in X-Force, Plus More on the Future of the X-Men Film Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laieon

Logan Spoilers:

I want a spin off with just X23 and her friends. They seem like a nice bunch of kids.

Jacce

Banned
People were hoping fox's marvel properties would collapse so they could be folded into the marvel universe proper. Then came along deadpool, which delays the "plan" for a while. They hate what he represents. They're not getting the Sony-Spider-Man situation.

The combination of DOFP, Deadpool, and Logan all doing fantastic killed that from ever happening in the next decade and likely longer. The only dud in that mix was Apocalypse. 3/4 of their last X-Men films were major box office hits. It's far and away the biggest and most consistently successful franchise Fox has.

They seem to be fully doubling down too by expanding to TV with Legion on FX and a X-Men series now in the works for Fox.

In all honesty Fox has been managing the X-Men the last few years better than anyone else managing their super hero franchises outside of Disney with Marvel. Sony could not figure out what to do nor was able to stop the bleeding of decreasing boxoffice and gave up, and we all know how much a complete cluster-fuck DC is in over at WB.

Fury451

Banned
People were hoping fox's marvel properties would collapse so they could be folded into the marvel universe proper. Then came along deadpool, which delays the "plan" for a while. They hate what he represents. They're not getting the Sony-Spider-Man situation.

Don't know if that's the reasoning really, but it's delusional to think Fox is giving X up, ever. The X-Men film franchise has been a consistently strong series of financial hits on it's own, even without Deadpool on the scene. Then Logan is all kinds of awesome (and I say that without qualifiers for the first time for an X film). Now, Legion is fantastic, which bodes well for their future tv plans. Fox ain't letting that franchise go and that was long before DP was a runaway hit.

I can maybe, maybe still see that kind of deal sometime down the line with F4, which would be a great get for the MCU due to Doom and the other cosmic stuff. Even then that would be a wishful thinking stretch.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Even Apocalypse turned a profit. Financially it is a very consistent property, unlike its inconsistent critical reception.

Jacce

Banned
X-Men is really the only consistent live action franchise Fox has that they can rely on as they have no real control over when and what Avatar movies come and they lost Star Wars.

And the fact it is doing really well of late makes that even more important to them. It is never going back to Marvel Studios/Disney in the next 20-30 years, lets be honest.

Bernbaum

The MCU and X-movies work better separately. They can focus on their own world and stories without making it more convoluted than it already is. The Avengers films have a planned out congruency that works great, and the X-movies are more singular stories with weaker connections between films but still have interesting tales to tell.

Apart from missing out on a few pairings, and emulating some of the crossover events in comics, I don't see what either franchise is missing by not having access to the other property.

The only real shame in all of this is the Fantastic Four, which deserve better. I'd sooner have the FF in the MCU than the X-men if only to get an excellent villain in Dr Doom.

Lebron

Bullocks. Marvel probably doesn't want that X-Men nonsense in their universe anyway. The whole mutant gene throws a wrench in the universe they've been creating.

Sponge

Banned
The only real shame in all of this is the Fantastic Four, which deserve better. I'd sooner have the FF in the MCU than the X-men if only to get an excellent villain in Dr Doom.

Agreed. Fox can keep the X-Men franchise but I really hope Fantastic Four comes back to Marvel.

Sapiens

Also, if FOX wants to make Fantastic Four a bankable property - they should set it in the 60s with an R rating. Terry Crews as The Thing. Jon Hamm as Mr Fantastic. Kate Winslet as Sue Storm. Gender swap Johnny and cast Sofia Boutella.

Money in the bank.

JimiNutz

Banned
I much prefer that the X-Universe remain separate from the MCU. There are more than enough X-Men and Mutant characters to use without throwing Marvel characters into the mix as well.

It's a shame that Wolverine finally hit his potential in Jackman's final movie because I'd love to have seen a good X-Force movie with Wolverine but at the same time I don't want them to recast the role so soon after Logan.

Jacce

Banned
Bullocks. Marvel probably doesn't want that X-Men nonsense in their universe anyway. The whole mutant gene throws a wrench in the universe they've been creating.

The idea that Marvel wouldn't want the X-Men is insane. Alongside Spider-Man and the The Avengers it is by far and away the most popular and well known franchise Marvel has ever created worldwide.

They would give up Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc in an instant if they could have the film rights to Wolverine & The X-Men. It is not even a question. Not that it matters, it is too much of a consistent cash cow for Fox to ever even consider selling back.

Slayven

The idea that Marvel wouldn't want the X-Men is insane. Alongside Spider-Man and the The Avengers it is by far and away the most popular and well known franchise Marvel has ever created worldwide.

They would give up Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc in an instant if they could have the film rights to Wolverine & The X-Men. It is not even a question.

Not that it matters, it is too much of a consistent cash cow for Fox to ever even consider selling back.

Nah we good

C6BV8OGXEAAVyb3.jpg

Kusagari

lmfao yeah Marvel doesn't want the rights to some of their most popular and recognizable characters.

Jacce

Banned
Nah we good

I am excited about Black Panther from a quality standpoint. But financially Disney/Marvel would throw it away without even blinking if it meant they could have the massively iconic characters like Wolverine.

No studio would want Black Panther over the X-Men. None.

Slayven

I am excited about Black Panther from a quality standpoint. But financially Disney/Marvel would throw it away without even blinking if it meant they could have the massively iconic characters like Wolverine.

No studio would want Black Panther over the X-Men. None.

Maybe if this was brand now, but Marvel has shown you can take something obscure and make bank from it. The mainline X-men been around for damn near 20 years and have yet to have a billion dollar film. Hell Apocalypse had a pretty steep drop from Days of Future Past.

Not surprised. Fox is gonna milk Deadpool until the characters "popularity" has dried up. Good for Reynolds, though.

thought channing tatum's gambit was already cancelled or something
wtzgU.gif

It should be, but I think Fox and the producers are still trying to cling on to the possibilities of it getting made. Given the production woes and delays, the budget is probably over 200m at this point.

Deadpool worked in large part because it was novel. I hope they can keep it fresh if he's going to be the focal point of a larger franchise.

Jacce

Banned
Maybe if this was brand now, but Marvel has shown you can take something obscure and make bank from it. The mainline X-men been around for damn near 20 years and have yet to have a billion dollar film. Hell Apocalypse had a pretty steep drop from Days of Future Past.

If you think Black Panther is going to make more than the top grossing X-Men films that is just not happening, there is no universe in which Black Panther is a bigger film franchise than X-Men and I am hyped for Black Panther. Not to mention all the endless sub-franchises associated with X-Men, Black Panther is just Black Panther.

Marvel would not rather have films rights to Black Panther than one of their 3 crown jewel franchises of Spider-Man, Avengers, and X-Men. That is just insane to even entertain. It's like suggesting Marvel rather have film rights to Doctor Strange than the Avengers.

Slayven

If you think Black Panter is going to outgross the highest grossing X-Men movies you are crazy, there is no universe in which Black Panther is a bigger film franchise than X-Men and I am hyped for Black Panther. Not to mention all the endless sub-franchises associated with X-Men.

Marvel would not rather have films rights to Black Panther than one of their 3 crown jewel franchises of Spider-Man, Avengers, and X-Men. That is just insane to even entertain. It's like suggesting Marvel rather have Doctor Strange than the Avengers.

Black Panther out gross the X-men probably not, but a tree and a racoon will.

Movie most likely to happen? Cyborg or Gambit?

Gambit

It worked for Marvel and Iron Man so i have no problem with Fox doing the same with Deadpool

Sure, but Deadpool is in many ways, a character who can get staler than Iron Man. That's why I think they should be careful with what they do with the character in the future.

I'm all for him showing up in the X-Force film, just don't overuse the character too much.

Jacce

Banned
Black Panther out gross the X-men probably not, but a tree and a racoon will.

I don't think anyone would disagree with GOTG. The only film franchises Marvel wouldn't give up for the X-Men are Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man (if they had it fully), & Guardians of the Galaxy. They'd trade any of the others for X-Men without question.

LewieP

They should forget about trying to do a Fantastic Four movie and do Silver Surfer.

Edit: Because I want to see Galactus on the big screen.

They should forget about trying to do a Fantastic Four movie and do Silver Surfer.

Edit: Because I want to see Galactus on the big screen.

I've wondered about this before but if Fox make a Silver Surfer movie instead of a mainline Fantastic Four movie, would they still lose the rights after X number of years or would Silver Surfer count as a FF movie?

Lebron

They would give up Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, etc in an instant if they could have the film rights to Wolverine & The X-Men. It is not even a question. Not that it matters, it is too much of a consistent cash cow for Fox to ever even consider selling back.
Nah. Their other no-name movies have been doing on-par or better than X-Men post Avengers. They already got their golden goose back in Spider-Man (not 100% obviously), which is worth more than all of X-Men. Now sure if they approached them to work out a deal, I'm sure Marvel would easily be willing to talk. But they continue to do what giants do without it.

Fox needs X-Men. Marvel doesn't. There's a reason why Jackman and Lawrence said they would return for the MCU. So no, I doubt they're losing any sleep over it or plotting to get it back unless Fox approaches them (like they did with the TV division). Now if their BO numbers start to slide that's another story.

WarRock

So, Reynolds is the new Jackman? Who is going to replace Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen though?

...are we getting Fantomex?

wildfire

Banned
People hate Deadpool now?

Noone hates Deadpool. Some of us, maybe a lot of us, don't think he should be the poster boy of a franchise. The way Deadpool currently works doesn't immediately make him into a charming person. I'm holding reservation to see if they do personality changes in the 2nd movie to make him more feasible as the face of future Xmen properties.

Jacce

Banned
Marvel ain't getting the fuckin' X-Men back.

It's never gonna happen.

They aren't no question. Just the fact that anyone can with a straight face say Marvel rather have Black Panther or Doctor Strange over all the endless X-Men franchises makes my brain hurt.

They aren't no question. Just the fact that anyone can with a straight face say Marvel rather have Black Panther or Doctor Strange over all the endless X-Men franchises makes my brain hurt.
Well, I mean, I get that you guys seem to think that people are being dumb but Dr. Strange did out-gross X-Men: Apocalypse.

Marvel would surely love to have access to the X-Men but their fledgling franchises are already making more money, I get that you guys think 'Pah, Dr. Strange!? The X-Men are far more popular' but the raw numbers of what you're saying just don't hold any weight.

Jacce

Banned
Well, I mean, I get that you guys seem to think that people are being dumb but Dr. Strange did out-gross X-Men: Apocalypse.

Marvel would surely love to have access to the X-Men but their fledgling franchises are already making more money, I get that you guys think 'Pah, Dr. Strange!? The X-Men are far more popular' but the raw numbers of what you're saying just don't hold any weight.

Cherry picking Apocalypse over what DOFP, Deadpool, and what Logan will do is a bit silly. You picked the weakest of the 4 most recent movies. For the most part the franchise has been out-grossing C list MCU films of late.

Well they all performed really well despite quality and word of mouth if that is any indication.

Yeah they performed well but left the franchise in a mess, Xmen is in a miles better state than Spiderman.

Next spiderman will do well coz of Iron Man though

Cherry picking Apocalypse over what DOFP, Deadpool, and what Logan will do is a bit silly. You picked the weakest of the 4 most recent movies. For the most part the franchise has been outgrossing the B/C list MCU films of late.
Okay but lets think about that then. I deliberately chose Apocalypse for a reason: it's an X-Men movie.

DOFP succeeded way more than First Class and Apocalypse and one would assume that's because of the success of several actors who have retired from the franchise entirely. Same goes for Deadpool, he's been popular because of Ryan Reynolds and Marvel can either a) keep him and give themselves a continuity headache/public confusion that they've meticulously tried to avoid or b) recast the actor and face massive backlash. (Not that a self-referential, fourth wall breaking character may actually be more detrimental than a help).

People love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, people love Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Do they love the X-Men as a franchise? Well, the most recent X-Men to date was incredibly weak and X-Men First Class (omitting Jackman and Stewart again) did even worse.

Once more, I'm sure Marvel would love it but it wouldn't be as easy as rebooting Spider-Man for the eighteenth time.

Comics popularity != movie popularity.

The audiences they're trying to get for these films (the audiences they already have, really) don't give a fuck whether the floppies with these characters in it are selling monthly or not.

There's like 200-300k people who care about that. That's it.

This is all about leveraging branding. Marvel has enough brand strength that all you have to do is say "this is part of that thing" and people will be interested now. Audiences are not going to care about the comics, or if they were even popular comics. They're going to care about the idea, and whether that idea gets executed well.

Guardians should have put all this shit to bed about whether or not the popularity in the publishing realm really meant anything. Iron Man should have done that. Blade.

Litan

What do you think is more enticing to audiences? Marvel getting the X-Men back and adding them to the MCU or Marvel introducing new heroes they've never seen before?

We've had a ton of X-men movies, we've never had a Strange, Panther, Antman or Cap Marvel movie. In order for the MCU to work, they have to keep introducing new heroes to the mix.

X-Men is better off with Fox. They seem to be planning interesting things for them in the future. The idea of adding them to the MCU seems unappealing to me.

F4 on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom