• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Mista

Banned
Oh, Also, regarding the middle button echo thing, how much fun is the " hello, I'm Sam!" " hey, I'm Sam too!" šŸ˜‚?
Makes me die every time
Bro, it happened to me by mistake. I wanted to open the cufflinks so I pressed the touch pad by mistake. ā€œAnyone here?!ā€ .. ā€œYes I amā€! I got creeped outšŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Yo wtf at the BB jump scares that come up sometimes if you play with him in your resting room.

Holy shit I was not ready.
Sam scared me more than BB at firstšŸ˜‚ I was like ā€œWhy the fuck is he knocking hardā€

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I am not sure that I am playing the same game.
I love it, really.
I play on pro and on 65 inches oled screen.
Some textures are not that great.
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up
And Jesus the frame rate tanks really hard sometimes.
When there are multiple mules or worst on a bike full speed during rain on a road it goes 20 FPS !
a lot of frame pacing issue too.
I spoke with a colleague who is playing it too. He has the same problems.

i loooove the game but itā€™s not The technical Masterpiece everybody says.
48 hours here and havenā€™t experienced any of that. Also thatā€™s not frames dropping, thatā€™s a window for you that was built to make you realise whatā€™s happening and act. Game is technically solid and the proof is they arenā€™t patching it every two days

Wink

Maybe i'm gonna be flamed for that, but imho Mgs 5 looked better on the whole.
Also, no. MGSV was great for 2015, especially considering that it was severely at a disadvantage because a version of it had to run on PS3 and those cross gen things usually are not showpieces, but except for personal preference in terms of art direction it cannot compete with DS at all.

GooseMan69

I just experienced one of the most amazing moments in gaming history, and it was a totally missable thing that I doubt most players will even see.

In the part where you have to bring Mama to her sister, I decided to take the long way around to avoid the snowy mountains filled with BTs, because fuck that. I avoided all mule camps and BTs on my long, trechourous journey through all manner of terrain, made all the more difficult by a living human attached to my back.

Hereā€™s where it gets good. Before the last major leg of our journey, I came across a hot spring that you can use to rest. This being sort of a one off delivery where you actually have a living person with you, I expected Mama to just fuck off offscreen somewhere. I didnā€™t expect the devs to actually account for this tiny little thing that most players probably wonā€™t even do (or maybe they will, idk). But low and behold, I look to my side and thereā€™s Mama, enjoying the hot spring, along with Sam. Temporary relief from a long, brutal journey. They even gave her unique dialogue just for this tiny, obscure scenario (well, humming actually). The beautiful view and ethereal soundtrack added even more to the scene. It felt like this amazing bonding moment between Sam and Mama, completely engineered by my own unique actions and path.

Fucking incredible. Felt like the giraffe scene in TLOU, but unscripted.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

I just experienced one of the most amazing moments in gaming history, and it was a totally missable thing that I doubt most players will even see.

In the part where you have to bring Mama to her sister, I decided to take the long way around to avoid the snowy mountains filled with BTs, because fuck that. I avoided all mule camps and BTs on my long, trechourous journey through all manner of terrain, made all the more difficult by a living human attached to my back.

Hereā€™s where it gets good. Before the last major leg of our journey, I came across a hot spring that you can use to rest. This being sort of a one off delivery where you actually have a living person with you, I expected Mama to just fuck off offscreen somewhere. I didnā€™t expect the devs to actually account for this tiny little thing that most players probably wonā€™t even do (or maybe they will, idk). But low and behold, I look to my side and thereā€™s Mama, enjoying the hot spring, along with Sam. Temporary relief from a long, brutal journey. They even gave her unique dialogue just for this tiny, obscure scenario (well, humming actually). The beautiful view and ethereal soundtrack added even more to the scene. It felt like this amazing bonding moment between Sam and Mama, completely engineered by my own unique actions and path.

Fucking incredible. Felt like the giraffe scene in TLOU, but unscripted.

There should be a thread for all the missable experiences. Also, for the gamemechanics some may not think of or use first.

Last edited:

Shrap

48 hours here and havenā€™t experienced any of that. Also thatā€™s not frames dropping, thatā€™s a window for you that was built to make you realise whatā€™s happening and act. Game is technically solid and the proof is they arenā€™t patching it every two days
Plus Digital Foundry did a full analysis. There was never any dropped frames during gameplay on both base and pro, just some slight dips during cutscenes.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Finished...
That was a journey like no other. Oh my god... Still wrapping my head around the ending. Send help.
This game has a soul and its something else... Kojima outdid himself.
The graphics in those last cutscenes too (and all game really)... These people look and act real. We will not see better graphics soon. It was photorealistic and I could not believe that this is running in real time... Let alone on ps4. Everything looked amazing but I swear... Die hardman is the best looking game character ever created. His last scenes are breathtaking. The skin shading and motion... Wow. The acting should win him an oscar in that one scene.
53 hours... 53 hours of graphics impossible on ps4, soul, atmosphere and addicting gameplay. Cmon what magic is this. I cant get over it. Lol bless ya all !
And Ive even got 30k likes from other online players. My bridges were popular it seems :p

Edit: oh wait. 2 stars, boring walking sim
this is why kojima has said he wants to work with actors instead of creating characters himself.
He believes we come to a point where it can look to realistic and real and if he uses a character they make themself he cant make all the subtle movements look good anymore. And he likes when actors can put something of their own in the acting instead of someone behind a pc doing it all. I love it as well, red dead had this as well and its awesome. There are so few games who do this with good actors and amazing cutscenes

Man now I see your reaction as well. Maybe the reviews sucked because they were not allowed to talk beyond chapter 3 and not many even finished the game because of that? Most people who finish it say it has a great ending but none mentioned it. Maybe that was a bad idea on sony part

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The same people who loved everything about MGSV, said the animations were excellent and the gunplay etc are criticizing it in Death Stranding. They are almost the exact same...made by the same guy, maybe just more refined.

I really hope Sony buy CDPR, just to see the narratives change from 'amazing writing and side quests' to 'boring gameplay, terrible animations and the magic was useless' (Witcher 3)

NMS was already enough to show me tons of the hate was just petty sore loser like camp fanboy warrior crap.

Last edited:

Robhimself

This game is an experience.. Yesterday I was on my epic quest to Port Knot City. I was in Mule territory with my back full of cargo.

It started to rain as soon as the Mules closed in on my position, so they fled. All my cargo was corroding, so I decided to walk close along big rocks. I scanned using R1 and a sign popped up around the corner.

It was shelter. Waited out the Timefall, dumped my cargo and kicked the Mules asses. Then I returned to my cargo and was on my merry way.

I love the community sense of this game. Ladders, ropes, bridges. It really feels like a society and everyone is doing their part!!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wow the junk dealers sidequest is hilariously bad and the actress probably has a potato in his mouth, holy shit i was dying when she talk for the first time :ROFLMAO:

Mista

Banned
Wow the junk dealers sidequest is hilariously bad and the actress probably has a potato in his mouth, holy shit i was dying when she talk for the first time :ROFLMAO:
Itā€™s actually accurate. Watch an anime where any character tries to speak English. Itā€™s exactly the same. Not bad acting as much as itā€™s very accuratešŸ˜‚

LokusAbriss

This game keeps on giving. Someone here wrote about approaching BB after drinking all the monster energy in your private room. I then tried it and watched how Sam lost his shit, acted drunk and threw everything off the table, after two timefall cans! The interaction with BB was also fun to watch! As someone else statet, it was beer from the Farm. Now I need Monster to test that reaction.

It is great to see Sam lighting up in situations with BB. Most of the time it is the only thing that makes him happy and smile. And then small things like in the end of the first scene of chapter 8 happen, where he is scratching the record on heardman's old player. I wonder if him coming closer to his final destination makes him more relaxed and happy.

Mista

Banned
This game keeps on giving. Someone here wrote about approaching BB after drinking all the monster energy in your private room. I then tried it and watched how Sam lost his shit, acted drunk and threw everything off the table, after two timefall cans! The interaction with BB was also fun to watch! As someone else statet, it was beer from the Farm. Now I need Monster to test that reaction.

It is great to see Sam lighting up in situations with BB. Most of the time it is the only thing that makes him happy and smile. And then small things like in the end of the first scene of chapter 8 happen, where he is scratching the record on heardman's old player. I wonder if him coming closer to his final destination makes him more relaxed and happy.
The second part made me crack! What an asshole move but I LOVED ITšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Bro, it happened to me by mistake. I wanted to open the cufflinks so I pressed the touch pad by mistake. ā€œAnyone here?!ā€ .. ā€œYes I amā€! I got creeped outšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Sam scared me more than BB at firstšŸ˜‚ I was like ā€œWhy the fuck is he knocking hardā€
Lol fantastic šŸ˜‚

nowhat

Patch 1.05 Changelog:
  • Various performance improvements
I mean, with the last patch we got was that, and "Multiple problems fixed".

I know the developers won't probably address every issue in the patch notes, but it would be nice to be more specific. FWIW, the game has been running great so far, even without "various performance improvements". Decima continues to amaze, Guerrilla have a monster of an engine in their hands.

imsosleepy

I mean, with the last patch we got was that, and "Multiple problems fixed".

I know the developers won't probably address every issue in the patch notes, but it would be nice to be more specific. FWIW, the game has been running great so far, even without "various performance improvements". Decima continues to amaze, Guerrilla have a monster of an engine in their hands.
Guerilla now also has a top tier studio who are insanely talented and can do things with the engine they did not know was possible like the water! And kojima team also help on improving the engine wich is so nice. That engine is sick and good collab!

SLB1904

Banned
I love it, really.
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up
When there are multiple mules or worst on a bike full speed during rain on a road it goes 20 FPS !

Nah. your ps or your tv is broken.
send pic or share videos

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love the community sense of this game. Ladders, ropes, bridges. It really feels like a society and everyone is doing their part!!
yes, i feel like the social aspects were difficult for Kojima to communicate. he says "it's kind of like a new genre" and then people go off fuming "how dare this pretentious guy invent a genre" but really, i've never played a game like this, where other players are actually helping you in the game. most of the time online functionality feels more like a burden. all my flashbacks to trudging through a difficult area in Dark Souls and getting invaded and it pulling me out of the game. on the contrary you love to see stuff from other players in this. what they give you is of immense value, and it makes you want to return the favor. truly it is some weird new blend of online meta co-op that has to be experienced to be believed.

Robhimself

yes, i feel like the social aspects were difficult for Kojima to communicate. he says "it's kind of like a new genre" and then people go off fuming "how dare this pretentious guy invent a genre" but really, i've never played a game like this, where other players are actually helping you in the game. most of the time online functionality feels more like a burden. all my flashbacks to trudging through a difficult area in Dark Souls and getting invaded and it pulling me out of the game. on the contrary you love to see stuff from other players in this. what they give you is of immense value, and it makes you want to return the favor. truly it is some weird new blend of online meta co-op that has to be experienced to be believed.
Exactly this. All those towers and bridges triggered me to do my part. I find myself raiding Mule camps, steling trucks and stuffing them with Metals ene Ceramics, just so I can start building roads. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love it, really.
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up

I'm playing on pro. Had none of these issues. There might be something wrong with your console.

treemk

Banned
Got a question for anyone further than me (in Chapter 3), please answer without spoilers!

I hit the point in Chapter 3 where it's strongly encouraging me to go do a story mission and I can't fast travel with Fragile anymore, chiral activity is up and it sounds like things are about to go to shit. I assume once I finish this mission I'll be able to fast travel again? I still wanted to go back to the first area. Also I still have the film director and the cosplayer to add to the network and I want to make sure I still get a chance to do that later if i advance the story.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got a question for anyone further than me (in Chapter 3), please answer without spoilers!

I hit the point in Chapter 3 where it's strongly encouraging me to go do a story mission and I can't fast travel with Fragile anymore, chiral activity is up and it sounds like things are about to go to shit. I assume once I finish this mission I'll be able to fast travel again? I still wanted to go back to the first area. Also I still have the film director and the cosplayer to add to the network and I want to make sure I still get a chance to do that later if i advance the story.

Youā€™re still very early in the game, youā€™ll be able to backtrack yeah.

Mista

Banned

Proceed and donā€™t worry about backtracking at all

Clover904

Exactly this. All those towers and bridges triggered me to do my part. I find myself raiding Mule camps, steling trucks and stuffing them with Metals ene Ceramics, just so I can start building roads. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Haha, I did this for the first time last night! I'm loving this game :)

Coconutt

So in my resting room, the monster energy drink has been replaced by some kind of beer I think? I got my Norman Reedus drunk and his interactions with the table and BB were pretty funny.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
A couple questions:

How do you make long ladder? I can make a small one but I see ladders out there and videos of extra long ones.

I am trying to progress the story and I have two messages: 1. Build a bridge and 2. Go to Port Knot City to get missions. How do you know which one progresses the story?

Robhimself

A couple questions:

How do you make long ladder? I can make a small one but I see ladders out there and videos of extra long ones.

I am trying to progress the story and I have two messages: 1. Build a bridge and 2. Go to Port Knot City to get missions. How do you know which one progresses the story?
The missions have numbers. But if the Port City one already is on your list, you can skip the bridge part I think. But the bridge is a VERY easy and quick little mission. Wouldn't skip it as it's a very handy tutorial about the PCC.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The missions have numbers. But if the Port City one already is on your list, you can skip the bridge part I think. But the bridge is a VERY easy and quick little mission. Wouldn't skip it as it's a very handy tutorial about the PCC.
I'm closer to Port Knot. It only says 'get missions at Port Knot' when I highlight the city circle icon. I don't have one yet. So I assume I go back there to get a main mission? Then I can go finish the bridge. Odd thing is, is that I could swear that it said I could help finish the bridge that was 1/2 built outside the West Distribution center. I gathered the metals and finished it but didn't get credit. So I moved on.

Robhimself

I'm closer to Port Knot. It only says 'get missions at Port Knot' when I highlight the city circle icon. I don't have one yet. So I assume I go back there to get a main mission? Then I can go finish the bridge. Odd thing is, is that I could swear that it said I could help finish the bridge that was 1/2 built outside the West Distribution center. I gathered the metals and finished it but didn't get credit. So I moved on.
No you also have to start building one yourself. It doesn't have to be finished. I bet you can still do this one once you get past Port Knot.

And yes, you get the missions once you arrive at Port Knot. And then some, hehehehe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IGN gave Pokemon S&S a 93......................................while DS got a 68?

Really? Wow!!!

Different people with different tastes. Don't look at reviews as anything more than a single individual's opinion and appraisal unless it's stated otherwise to be a group effort or something.

Keihart

Somehow playing this game makes me feel a little nostalgic and happy at the same time, not the story really but just playing it in general... There is something very special in getting through hard deliveries and barely making it through just to take a rest and play the harmonica or take a shower or start a new delivery.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's too bad to hear. I'm playing in Japanese and she sounds perfectly fine.

The actual model/actress for the character is half-Japanese and half-British but grew up in Japan, so I guess her English was not on point assuming she did the English voice for her character, too. There is actually an email you get after completing the quest from her "mother" that says she barely spoke English when they started living together after having been raised by Japanese parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
did that sidequest last night. it was pretty obvious she was an English as a second language speaker. but that's fine. i could never have a problem with it. it was a really cool mini story. i can't imagine laughing about it unless you never heard an Asian person attempt to speak English in your life and even then i'd call you a jackass.

Last edited:

Terenty

Ok, guys, please tell me the game stays as interesting past the third chapter. If it does it might be the best game Kojima has ever done gameplay wise and one of the best games ever.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
It hits its stride around episode 4-5.

Seeing some of the comments in here from Chapter 4 on, it gets real fire!

Chapter 4 was really awesome!

Can I say though, combat is piss easy.
I really can't get over the fact that Kojima dropped the ball on combat big time.

Seeing how laughable the challenge is on hard, we might need an update that adds a "super-duper-extreme" mode.
Combat is definitely the entire 1.5 reduction that makes DS an 8.5/10 game, imo.

Top Bottom