• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debit Cards: $50 spending limit per purchase on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/10/pf/debit_cards_limit/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Declined! Your debit card may soon be denied for purchases greater than $100 -- or even as little as $50.

JPMorgan Chase, one of the nation's largest banks, is considering capping debit card transactions at either $50 or $100, according to a source with knowledge of the proposal.

Why? Because of a tricky thing called interchange fees.

Right now, every time you swipe your debit card, your bank charges the retailer an average fee of 44 cents, which it shares with its partners. Those little fees, however, add up to about $16 billion per year, according to 2009 data from the Federal Reserve.

But as part of the Wall Street reform legislation that was passed last year, these fees are being slashed. The Fed is currently proposing rules that would go into effect in July and would cap interchange fees at 12 cents.

That's a big enough cut to cost Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) more than $1 billion a year. And Chase may not be alone. Other major issuers are also projecting huge losses from the interchange fee cap.

Joe Price, president of consumer banking for Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), said in an e-mailed statement that the lower fee wouldn't fairly compensate the bank for the infrastructure and services it provides to retailers.

And consumers would end up feeling the pain when Bank of America is forced to recoup costs "by increasing the cost of their everyday debit card transactions, limiting their payment choices, and impacting industry innovation," according to the email.

Aside from mulling over a limit on transaction amounts, Chase is already testing $3 monthly fees on debit cards and $15 fees on checking accounts in certain states. Additionally, the bank announced in November that it has stopped issuing debit rewards cards.

The revenue banks get from interchange fees helps to offset money lost from fraudulent transactions. So with the Fed's proposed cap in place, banks argue they won't have the money to protect themselves against fraud. And, of course, the bigger the purchase the bigger the risk, so banks are considering limiting consumers' ability to pay by debit card.

"If banks cannot recapture their fraud-prevention costs, it is likely that a lower percentage of transactions at the point of sale would be approved," Price said. "If the final rules that are issued in April look like the draft, there's no question that it will impact how we and other issuers price deposit and payment services and what features and benefits are included."

But a Bank of America spokesman declined to comment on whether the bank would cap debit card purchases at $50 or $100.

Representatives from Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500) and HSBC (HBC) declined to comment on their plans, while a spokeswoman from Citi (C, Fortune 500) said the bank isn't making any changes at this time.

If a cap like this does make its way into accounts across the board, consumers would be forced to write checks, withdraw cash from ATMs, or put their spending on credit cards.

"The whole model on the debit card side is in flux because of Dodd-Frank," said Brian Riley, senior research director at financial services consulting firm TowerGroup. "The unfortunate thing is that the people who will really get hurt on this are the people who need the most help."

Many consumers with bad credit aren't able to qualify for credit cards -- and when they do, it's often with hefty rates and fees. Additionally, ATMs typically only dole out a limited amount of money at a time and checking accounts are being loaded with fees.

At the same time, even the customers who do qualify for credit cards are being punished for having tarnished credit. Bank of America, for example, announced a $59 annual fee last month for its riskiest customers -- making up about 5% of consumer credit card accounts.

SmokyDave

CrankyJay said:
People, seriously. Stop fucking using debit cards.
Why? Are debit cards different in the US?

I use mine for everything because I can't be arsed to carry cash and because I don't want to use credit cards unless absolutely necessary. What's wrong with debit cards?

mf.luder

SmokyDave said:
Why? Are debit cards different in the US?

I use mine for everything because I can't be arsed to carry cash and because I don't want to use credit cards unless absolutely necessary. What's wrong with debit cards?

Same. Rarely carry cash anymore. I hope this is only in the States.

operon

CrankyJay said:

thatsthejoke.gif

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Stop using debit cards...because there's no reason you shouldn't be using credit cards. First post is valid.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zebra said:

First, they offer less protection than a credit card if the card is stolen or the number is lifted somehow.

Second, say you buy gas on a debit card and you only need $30 worth. Because it's debit they put a hold of $70 on your card. If you have less than $70 on your card you can get hit with an overdraft fee. But now that the federal gov't passed that overdraft protection law, gas stations can outright deny your debit card if you don't have enough to satisfy your hold. Hell, even if you did have enough money and needed to use that other $40 later that day, you can't because it's on hold.

You don't build credit with debit cards.

You might as well just carry cash with you, or use a credit card but don't spend more than you have in your account.

Patryn

Stat Flow said:
Stop using debit cards...because there's no reason you shouldn't be using credit cards. First post is valid.

Interest rates? Not wanting to spend money you don't have? Not wanting to have to remember to pay an unneeded bill?

This would suck. I live by my debit card.

CrankyJay said:
First, they offer less protection than a credit card if the card is stolen or the number is lifted somehow.

Second, say you buy gas on a debit card and you only need $30 worth. Because it's debit they put a hold of $70 on your card. If you have less than $70 on your card you can get hit with an overdraft fee. But now that the federal gov't passed that overdraft protection law, gas stations can outright deny your debit card.

You might as well just carry cash with you, or use a credit card but don't spend more than you have in your account.

Not sure where you buy gas but when i pay debit it posts instantly and there is no hold. If somehow there is my bank has this thing called current balance and available balance. Even if you go over the available balance because of a hold you dont get an over-draft fee because of the current balance.

Protection? the second it's missing i can call and have it canceled.

build credit? I own two vehicles (paid for) and own a home (mortgage). But even so.. how is owning a debit card stopping those who want to get a credit card?

Sanjuro

CrankyJay said:

Second, say you buy gas on a debit card and you only need $30 worth. Because it's debit they put a hold of $70 on your card. If you have less than $70 on your card you can get hit with an overdraft fee. But now that the federal gov't passed that overdraft protection law, gas stations can outright deny your debit card if you don't have enough to satisfy your hold. Hell, even if you did have enough money and needed to use that other $40 later that day, you can't because it's on hold.

Thanks dad.

CrankyJay said:

That's stupid, gas stations here let you input a specific amount of gas you'd like to purchase.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Stat Flow said:
Wow at the responses, do people not know how credit cards work?

I don't need credit, I don't like to owe and once again I don't need credit since I have money.

I'm not a slave to the banks, fuck banks, etc all that noise.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Patryn said:
Interest rates? Not wanting to spend money you don't have? Not wanting to have to remember to pay an unneeded bill?

What????

First of all, I never have to worry about interest rates on my cards because interest rates only apply when you are late. If you make your payments in full, you'll always have 0% interest. Always. If you don't then your company/bank fucked up and you get it straight.

Money you don't have? That's the point that I think most people don't get about credit cards, or at least the stigma attached to credit cards. Only use credit cards when you have the money, that way you can pay it off in full when it comes. Not to mention you have time to plan and make your payments for your purchases. As long as you can pay for it there is no problem when the bill comes.

Paying an unneeded bill...idk what you mean by that.

CrankyJay said:
Thanks, it's always good to start the day off with a good laugh!

My debit card is the only card I need at the moment (read as student). I don't use credit cards because I don't like all the issues that go with them. I much prefer working only with the money I actually have and keeping track of my balance.

If this cap does in fact happen, and it affects everyone across the board, there's going to be hell to pay. I can't see this being something that will go over easily, and I know I would be less than receptive to the change.

CrankyJay

Banned
Patryn said:

WTF? How about you spend what you have in your account and pay it off at the end of the month? You don't get charged interest unless you carry a balance.

I was under the impression that using a credit card a lot for little things, even if paid off at the end of the month, is bad for your credit score or at least wasn't going to increase your score

CrankyJay said:
The only time I've ever seen this is with hotel rooms. Everywhere else treats it just like cash. So what's the difference if I stop at the ATM or use my card.

Also if you are worried about getting your number stolen just have the clerk run it as a credit card.

Zebra said:

There are numerous reasons, but for starters you have much less protection on a debit card as compared to a credit card. That Visa logo on your debit card doesn't mean you can call Visa if you end up with fraudulent charges; it just means it can piggyback off Visa's payment system. That means if you end up with bogus charges, you have to call your bank, who at a minimum will almost always require you to open a police report and jump through a bunch of other hoops. Of course there are thousands of banks, and each one may have different policies in cases like these, but you can almost always expect it to be more of a hassle than going through a real credit card provider. Not to mention fraudulent charges are taking away real money from you, and if you have overdraft protection on your checking account, you can be wiped out.

The smartest thing to do is get a credit card, and use it like a debit card (only charge stuff you can pay off). Not to mention you can get cashback and other rewards.

GavinGT

Banned
It's a ludicrous fee, no doubt. Restaurants around here have to pay something like $.26 every time a debit card is swiped. It's forced them to raise prices and only accept debit cards on orders greater than a certain price (usually $10).

Not knowing much about the politics of the situation, it seems to me like some sort of monopoly or price fixing scheme. Surely another company could come around and offer penny transactions and still make a profit. It's just 1s and 0s.....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
imo people should be mandated to have credit cards at this point anyway -- just like a social security card or whatever. nothing more annoying than being at a starbucks and having some twat holding up the line fumbling around with his bills/coins or even PIN or whatever

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
CrankyJay said:

Second, say you buy gas on a debit card and you only need $30 worth. Because it's debit they put a hold of $70 on your card. If you have less than $70 on your card you can get hit with an overdraft fee. But now that the federal gov't passed that overdraft protection law, gas stations can outright deny your debit card.

This ignores the fact that a lot of people are absolutely horrible with credit. That weird putting a hold thing, I've never heard about - and while I would mostly agree that building credit is important, not everyone should be attempting such endeavours. And cash is a lot more dangerous to carry around then a debit card.

Me, for example, I am just now rebuilding my credit after being extremely irresponsible with it as a teenager - got my first credit card at 18, had no idea what the fuck I was doing. Only just about a year ago did I pay off all my debt, start understanding how credit works and only just now am I rebuilding my credit to something decent.

Point is, while I would agree that given the option, you should use credit - I feel like a lot of people (including me) are not the best at working with short term free money. I'm only just now fixing the fuck ups of my youth, and it will be years to come until I have something resembling good credit.

MisterHero

Stat Flow said:
Wow at the responses, do people not know how credit cards work?
Borrow now, pay monthy deposit, pay more than minimum to reduce interest charges

for many people, there's a lot of temptation to use credit beyond what they can pay

there's no reason to fear credit, but debit is more practical. people spend what they have rather than interest (even a little, depending on how much it's used) is still an extra, unecessary payment

R2D4

Banned
CrankyJay said:

They hold $1. Then charge you the full amount when the transaction goes through. WTF at $70? And if you only have $100 in your checking account something more important is wrong. Like when the fuck are you so broke?

Just treat your CC like a Debit card and life will go unchanged. I have my Debit card in my wallet but haven't used it in two or three years.

"But I'm spending money I don't have!!!" THEN DON'T FUCKING BUY SHIT.

I guess as long as ATMs still let you withdraw a few hundred it's alright. I'll have to get use to putting everything on my Amex and Visa though and then paying it down immediately - sort of a hassle.

Valkyr Junkie said:
There are numerous reasons, but for starters you have much less protection on a debit card as compared to a credit card. That Visa logo on your debit card doesn't mean you can call Visa if you end up with fraudulent charges; it just means it can piggyback off Visa's payment system. That means if you end up with bogus charges, you have to call your bank, who at a minimum will almost always require you to open a police report and jump through a bunch of other hoops.
That's the one aspect of debit cards I don't like. The idea that if something goes awry that you're essentially screwed. Of course, that's why I tend to keep my debit account at a moderate level and I only transfer funds if I know I'm going to need them to pay for something big in the near or immediate future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom