• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Recall

This set would have been so much better without the incredibly goofy music choices for some clips as well as the superstars used to talk about some of the segments, prepare yourself to watch great little moments kinda ruined by Santino jokes and questionable background music choices, at least that's how I remember this set going.

Now I feel far more prepared as what to expect, gotta keep those expectations low.

Here are the match listings if anyone is interested:

It is a real mish mash and the only match I know is great was the Edge vs. Guerrero No DQ match but I have that already on the Eddie Geurrero Viva La Raza boxset. I remember there being a superb ladder match or hardcore encounter between the Hardy's and Dudley's on a episode of Smackdown when it went all EXTREME for a show, surprised that isnt on here.

Angle vs. Cena was pretty awesome if I remember right, Cena being a rookie in wrestling gear and all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That fucking Lynn/RVD Psicosis/Tajiri, I don't know whoever started 'stand up and face each other after counters' is as lame and pandering for cheers as Christian trying to clap for himself.

I think 'indie stand-off's' are fine, when appropriate, it's just that they became entirely overused - to the point where you can watch an entire indie show and every single match will have one.

Recall

That fucking Lynn/RVD Psicosis/Tajiri, I don't know whoever started 'stand up and face each other after counters' is as lame and pandering for cheers as Christian trying to clap for himself.

I remember Juvi v Psicosis did it back in 95 in ECW, Lynn v RVD made it their thing in 98 and Super Crazy v Taijiri helped keep the dream alive.

jmdajr

Got a Windows RT for 199.99

Pretty good for the price really. And it runs better than that piece of crap netbook I got a few years back. God..what a waste of money.

edit: yay Monday!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
2nd Annual WrassleGAF categories are being finalized - here's what we have now. I added a couple small categories.

Best WWE Superstar
Best Non-WWE Wrestler
Best Tag Team
Best Female Wrestler
WWE Match of the Year
Non-WWE Match of the Year
Best Promo/On the Mic
Best New Gimmick
Best Angle
Best Face
Best Heel
Best Pay Per View of 2013
Comeback of the Year
Most Improved 2013
Worst Onscreen Performer
Most Underutilized Performer
Fall From Grace
Worst Angle of 2013
Most Shameful Moment of 2013
Time to Retire in 2014
GIF of the Year
WrassleGAF Community MVP 2013

As always, input is appreciated, but I think this is a good group. Feel free to talk about your choices. Voting is not open yet, will be later this month. Let's talk about it!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, HHH doesn't fit all those categories, but I'll do my best to fill em out.

He just might get my Worst Onscreen Performer from me. He initially started out okay, but it's just too much. It's dead. Let go.

I don't watch much NJPW but from what I did see from the G1 tournament that Sunflower suggested, it was a lot better than any WWE PPV this year.

Would someone mind making a better version of my avatar? My "skills" are limited to bad MS Paint

Just looking for warrior with a Santa hat

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't watch much NJPW but from what I did see from the G1 tournament that Sunflower suggested, it was a lot better than any WWE PPV this year.

The G1 was really interesting this year. I was concerned about being burned out as it happened considering there were so many nights to it, but nearly every night was one of the best shows you'd see all year. Absolutely phenomenal and this upcoming year, I am all in with the big all-nights package based on the strength of how it was this year. Unbelievable show, and after seeing as much wrestling as I did, you'd expect that I'd be burnt out - not so. All it did was make me hungry for more. Loved it. Probably my pick, and you can bet it sure wasn't a WWE product from the latter half of 2013. Jeeeeeezus.

Shockingly the award for best tag team is probably the most interesting and hotly contested thing on that list. I could make a case for 4-6 different WWE teams. Rhodes/ Americans/ Shield/ Usos are all locks and based on some recent performances I would also be happy with Wyatts and 3MB as dark horse picks.

Ultimately I'd probably go with Dem Rhodes boys as they've both stepped it the fuck up.
BXzinQI.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tag Team is interesting. I can't see Real Americans winning it though as Swagger is almost a detriment, and it's the one-man Cesaro Show.

Summerslam was really great, but it's considerably less great when you consider the events that follow and where the stories all go.

I think Real Americans is a good place for Swagger. He doesn't really work as a monster heel type, but I like him and Cesaro as bros. Shield would still be my pick though, they just always deliver bitchin' tag team matches.
Best New Gimmick
bo-party-hats-650x372.png

Tag Team is interesting. I can't see Real Americans winning it though as Swagger is almost a detriment, and it's the one-man Cesaro Show.

Well that's sort of unfair. Anyone paired with Cesaro is going to be a detriment, it's like any version of the Justice League that includes Superman. There's nothing that Superman can do better if he has to bring Cyborg along for the ride but they still need to do it because there are already three Superman solo books.

More to the point, Jack Swagger is improving his [everything but speaking] while in this tag team and Zeb is the best manager in the world today so I'm including him as part of the real Americans.

oUraIdk.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best new gimmick has to go to Devitt, I reckon. Bullet Club are reeeeeeeeeal.

You call being an embarrassing representative of my ancestors is a gimmick? Now I know how Tatanka made people feel.

Hm, Shield is my pick for Tag Team of the Year, but I don't know if that'd be the same if I consistently watched NJPW since my favorite tag team match was Forever Hooligans vs. Timesplitters at Dominion (Rhodes vs Shield @ Battleground is a close second). Same could probably be said for the rest of the choices, really.

Best new gimmick has to go to Devitt, I reckon. Bullet Club are reeeeeeeeeal.
Devitt's a good kid and all, but when was the last time he sports-entertained in front of 300,000 people?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a huge fan, but how is Kane NOT best new gimmick?

I like Kane, but what has he done with the recent gimmick change? What has he TRULY done yet? Next year will show.

Honestly, real talk, I think Bo Dallas is a serious contender for this. A guy NONE of us could deal with, we reveled in his horrible stench...and then he turned us. We turned. We love Bo now. It's perfect, engaging, and brought life to his character. REALLY like what Bo has done.

jred2k

2nd Annual WrassleGAF categories are being finalized - here's what we have now. I added a couple small categories.

As always, input is appreciated, but I think this is a good group. Feel free to talk about your choices. Voting is not open yet, will be later this month. Let's talk about it!

What about something like Best Moment of 2013? I'm thinking specifically things like Zigglers post-WM cash-in, the crowd Yes-ing for Bryan after SummerSlam, Mark Henry's retirement speech, etc. They were all part of angles that didn't really go anywhere, but they were awesome as one off moments.

Edit - My best new gimmick vote will be going to 3MB being a different team every week if they can keep it up.

Korporate Kane hasn't done shit yet. I need more incoherent Citizen X ramblings before I can really enjoy hating him.

Devitt's a good kid and all, but when was the last time he sports-entertained in front of 300,000 people?

Reading Bo-isms from Renee Young is making a weird feelings smoothie out of my stomach.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What about something like Best Moment of 2013? I'm thinking specifically things like Zigglers post-WM cash-in, the crowd Yes-ing for Bryan after SummerSlam, Mark Henry's retirement speech, etc. They were all part of angles that didn't really go anywhere, but they were awesome as one off moments.

Good thinkin. Speaking of Ziggler, that's a Fall From Grace contender if I've ever had one.

Aiii

So not worth it
Guys. Guys. GUYS.

Need For Speed Rivals is the single best Need For Speed since NFS II SE. This game is so much fun.

Is it like Most Wanted? I really enjoyed that game, but the Hot Pursuit ones...eh, not so much.

Also, I just realised that Akira Taue's impending retirement means the end of the in-ring careers of the All Japan 'Shitennou', or 'Four Heavenly Kings' - Taue, Kobashi, Misawa & Kawada. End of an era.

Oh my god, British wrestler Mikey Whiplash (who I saw at the last Progress show) got impaled on a broken metal barricade last night, wrestling GRADO at ICW in Glasgow;

http://i.imgur.com/SZ7qnPv.jpg - kinda graphic.

He posted on twitter; "Doctor's said I can consider myself very lucky, as the wound was close to a main artery and the metal that I had removed to carry on match had gone over 6 inches into me from my thigh up into my abdomen. Not sure when I will be back in the ring yet."

Damn, that's nasty. I wonder if he can sue the promotion for their shitty broken guardrails.

Top Bottom