• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Labyrinth DS details.

Soul4ger

Don't know if anyone cares about this. 1UP has some details on Interactive Brains's port of Deep Labyrinth for the DS.

For a mobile game, it also features some notable talent behind it -- Chrono Cross scenario designer Masato Kato and Star Ocean composer Motoi Sakuraba. We'll look forward to perhaps seeing more of the game later in the fall.

Article here.

neptunes

RPG...jpg

Looks like a dungeon hack.

EDIT:They mean more details this fall right? :lol

Aw, no clear shots of the other couple of screens from famitsu? I can't tell how this game looks at all, but I can at least make our that dragon duck thing this time around.

Oh well, rune magic! I was wondering when it would finally show up on the DS.

Koshiro

I'm still somewhat perplexed by the recent appearances of games displaying 3D on both screens. I thought this was an impossibility?

neptunes

Koshiro said:
I'm still somewhat perplexed by the recent appearances of games displaying 3D on both screens. I thought this was an impossibility?

I didn't think it was impossible.

I always thought you had to balance the amount of polygons on each screen.
(too much polys = slowdown?)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Koshiro said:

The DS has separate processors for each screen, so that's probably a contributing factor to it being able to do 3D on both screens at once. that, and the DS hardware is more powerful than most people think it is. Most see the texture quality in screenshots, and think it's not even as powerful as the N64, when it eclipses the N64 in every aspect, save for some texture filtering here and there and a few other effects that aren't as necessary on a small screen.

Koshiro said:

probably nintendo being conservative as per usual. Where theres a will theres a way

Koshiro

paul777 said:
It can display 3D on both screens but the framerate is halved.
Where'd you pick up that tidbit? So basically if a team make a game that would ordinarily run at 60fps, then on two screens it'd run at a more than acceptable 30fps... interesting.

GaimeGuy

neptunes said:
Where did you get that impression?

It was one of the first specific details about the DS hardware that was released, after the fact that it would have two screens. I can go search for an article, if you want.

Anyways, Sakuraba doing the music for this game. :D

GaimeGuy

paul777 said:
It can display 3D on both screens but the framerate is halved.

? That's a matter of programming the game ALONG with the limits of the hardware. It's not correct to simply assume that the framerate is automatically halved when 3D is put on both screens. It's much more complex than that.

neptunes

GaimeGuy said:
It was one of the first specific details about the DS hardware that was released, after the fact that it would have two screens. I can go search for an article, if you want.

Hmm, last thing I heard was that the arm9 and arm7 cpu handled different tasks.

ie.
ARM9 : handling 3d work and basic game work
ARM7 : handling 2d, wifi, mic etc...

I'd really like clarification though. (recent articles please :D)

Kon Tiki

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
? That's a matter of programming the game ALONG with the limits of the hardware. It's not correct to simply assume that the framerate is automatically halved when 3D is put on both screens. It's much more complex than that.
I remember hearing about this at e3.

Koshiro

Well the point is I remember reading from several sources around the time DS was announced that you could only have 3D on one screen, but you could change which screen was displaying 3D. Not sure what happened to that, but clearly it is now null and void.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Barnimal said:
is it really necessary to see all the way up to the ceiling?

It's a unique gaming innovation! I mean, in what other game do you see both the normal field of vision AND the ceiling?! Just think of the possibilities! You could have, like, a nifty texture on the seiling or stuff, like things you'd never usually see. Now how cool is that!

Vieo

That looks rediculously like the King's Field series. (The long running slow-paced first-person RPG series that no one ever talks about.)

Bebpo

Banned
Unless they completely changed staff from the cellphone version to the DS version, The composer is NOT Sakuraba, but rather Yasunori Mitsuda of CC/XS fame.

WarPig

Bebpo said:
Unless they completely changed staff from the cellphone version to the DS version, The composer is NOT Sakuraba, but rather Yasunori Mitsuda of CC/XS fame.

Skee-vots, you're right. I got my characters-for-famous-composers'-names mixed up.

DFS.

shoplifter

Vieo said:
That looks rediculously like the King's Field series. (The long running slow-paced first-person RPG series that no one ever talks about.)

Yeah, it looks great. We actually have several KF whores here, myself included.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
King's Field fucking owns! Especially the PS2 game!

I have no idea what this Deep Labyrinth is all about, but I'm interested in learning more!

And Mitsuda rocks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
paul777 said:
Not really. And I quote:

snip

This might be true, but if its simply a case of having to address two frame buffers separately, then why not update two frame buffers in the space of 1/60 second? Unless the hardware is somehow locked, all you are doing is writing stuff to memory, and then displaying it. Should be possible to do 60fps and dual 3D.

Top Bottom