• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DefJam - It wasn't broken

So, why fix it? I just played the DefJam Fight For New York demo and they REALLY fucked up the controls. You can no longer hold in the attack button to do a strong move. You have to hold in L and then press an attack button. There are separate kick and punch buttons. Why? Did we need this? NO! There are no strong grabs. If you hold L and press grab you rush and grab. You can't bounce off the crowd. If you run into the crowd they either grab you or push you away. You can still block with R, but it doesn't pick opponents up from the ground. You pick opponents up with A. If you hit grab again in the middle of a grapple you do the same thing you do if you press run, you throw them at the crowd. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it, but as of right now, I don't think I'm getting this game. It feels too different. You can't pass this off as a wrestling game anymore. It's a fighting game now.

WarPig

Playing through Def Jam, one thing that kept running through my head was, "Jesus Christ, the wrestling nerds are gonna fucking loathe this game."

And then I thought, "God, that's gonna be fucking funny."

Especially funny will be the fucking metric tons of gold bullion that will be pulling up at the Aki loading dock when it goes multiple fucking platinum.

Damn fun game. Makes me never want to play any of THQ's shit again. All the violence, none of the dumb kayfabed bullshit.

DFS.

WarPig

By the way, correction: there are strong grapples. L1 and grapple leads to a different set of moves when it lands, it doesn't just have a larger forward charge when you initiate it. L1 grapples lead to more powerful wrestling/submission moves and give kickboxers more opportunities to land strikes in the clinch.

In addition, to debate the point that "it wasn't broken." I submit that every wrestling game on the market is broken, in that they're based on the logically flawed premise of turning a fixed sport (a form of performance art, essentially) into a legitimate interactive competition. Def Jam saves itself a lot of trouble by discarding that and the many other pointless trappings that weigh down pro wrestling games.

DFS.

Ristamar

I thought EA already said they intended it to be more of a fighting game than a wrestling game. Shouldn't be a huge surprise...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I hated the fact that you couldn't even adjust the controls in the first one.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Oni Link 666 said:
You can't pass this off as a wrestling game anymore. It's a fighting game now.

Which EA has been saying in countless interviews, and which various preview articles have been saying from the beginning.

Tabs

Sounds like they read my review (thanks Bish), where I begged to know if I was playing a fighting game or a wrestling game. Wasn't concerned which way they went, but I'm glad they decided, fighting game it is.

This game pisses me off. :D It's totally not what I wanted. They dumbed down the best wrestling engines around to make something easy to pick up and play for anyone. This is like Ultimate MUSCLE with rappers. It may be good, but I want real new AKI wrestling game.

WarPig

ZombieSupaStar said:
keep your fubu fighters 2k5 then

Actually, there's no FUBU in the game. Sean John, Phat Farm, Rocawear, Enyce, Fila, Michael Jordan's clothing line, buncha Reebok stuff, buncha Nike stuff, but no FUBU.

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
WarPig said:
Actually, there's no FUBU in the game. Sean John, Phat Farm, Rocawear, Enyce, Fila, Michael Jordan's clothing line, buncha Reebok stuff, buncha Nike stuff, but no FUBU.

DFS.

Do you think you can fire off a character list, or a tracklist, or something? ;)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Oni Link 666 said:
It may be good, but I want real new AKI wrestling game.

King of Colosseum 2 comes out September 8th. While it isn't quite VPW3, it's pretty fucking awesome in it's own right.

WarPig

trippingmartian said:
AKI isn't even involved. Scratching it off the big old list of games to buy this year. :)

Aki isn't involved in Def Jam? Says "Developed by AKI Corporation" right on the title screen.

DFS.

Top Bottom