• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deliriants are Some Scary Shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
I was deep in a Wikipedia binge and came across the class of hallucinogens known as Deliriants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliriant
The difference between most hallucinogens and deliriants is that on a deliriant the user doesn't recognize that they are hallucinating. Everything seems real.
Most deliriants are legal because most people dislike using them for recreational purposes an usually aren't abused.

The most famous deliriant is Datura aka Jimson Weed:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura
Effects of ingestion:

"Due to the potent combination of anticholinergic substances it contains, Datura intoxication typically produces effects similar to that of an anticholinergic delirium (usually involving a complete inability to differentiate reality from fantasy); hyperthermia; tachycardia; bizarre, and possibly violent behavior; and severe mydriasis (dilated pupils) with resultant painful photophobia that can last several days. Pronounced amnesia is another commonly reported effect.[18]"

"In Pharmacology and Abuse of Cocaine, Amphetamines, Ecstasy and Related Designer Drugs, Freye asserts: Few substances have received as many severely negative recreational experience reports as has Datura. The overwhelming majority of those who describe their use of Datura find their experiences extremely unpleasant both mentally and often physically dangerous.[18] However, anthropologists have found that indigenous groups, with a great deal of experience with and detailed knowledge of Datura, have been known to use Datura recreationally (including the Navajo and especially the Havasupai).[19][20] The knowledge of Datura's properties was critical to minimize harm".

And another.
Angel's Trumpet:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia
"Effects of ingestion can include paralysis of smooth muscles, confusion, tachycardia, dry mouth, diarrhea, migraine headaches, visual and auditory hallucinations, mydriasis, rapid onset cycloplegia, and death"

Anyway just thought I'd share GAF. You guys ever do Deliriants or know anyone that did?

lord quas

Several South American cultures have used Brugmansia as a treatment for unruly children, that they might be admonished directly by their ancestors in the spirit world, and thereby become more compliant. Mixed with maize beer and tobacco leaves, it has been used to drug wives and slaves before they were buried alive with their dead lord.

Jesus, that's terrifying

Wondering if this is similar to not sleeping on ambien. Had that happen a couple of times and freaked me the fuck out. Waking up the next morning having various selfies with your cat and shit you have no memory of ever doing is terrifying. Now i just blaze trees for my insomnia. much safer.

GhostBed

I once took a large amount of Dramamine and experienced this. One of the more frightening experiences I've ever had.

I had absolutely no control over myself. I was constantly reacting to things that weren't there, having full conversations with people that weren't there, and audio hallucinating constantly so I couldn't communicate with real people because I would replace what they said with whatever words my head came up with. I drank my wallet cause I thought it was a flask. I tried to smoke my shoe like a bowl.

I talked to my mom on that shit for probably 20+ minutes before realizing that I really shouldn't have been doing that. I found red spiders in my bowl of brownies and I couldn't understand why she didn't see them. Every time I talked, it was absolute gibberish and not a response to what she had said. Luckily my mother is very innocent and a bit naive so it took her a while to suspect I was high.

I was in my parents basement trying to sleep when I heard the door open and saw my dad walk down the stairs with a flashlight. He waved the light in my face and walked to the furnace room and yelled for me to follow him. I got up and went into the room in the dark but couldn't see him. I started yelling for him a few times before my friend ran into the room to tell me to stop and that no one was down there. That will forever stay with me, I have never experienced a hallucination so convincingly real.

Don't do deliriants, guys.

I once took a large amount of Dramamine and experienced this. One of the more frightening experiences I've ever had.

I had absolutely no control over myself. I was constantly reacting to things that weren't there, having full conversations with people that weren't there, and audio hallucinating constantly so I couldn't communicate with real people because I would replace what they said with whatever words my head came up with. I drank my wallet cause I thought it was a flask. I tried to smoke my shoe like a bowl.

I talked to my mom on that shit for probably 20+ minutes before realizing that I really shouldn't have been doing that. I found red spiders in my bowl of brownies and I couldn't understand why she didn't see them. Every time I talked, it was absolute gibberish and not a response to what she had said. Luckily my mother is very innocent and a bit naive so it took her a while to suspect I was high.

I was in my parents basement trying to sleep when I heard the door open and saw my dad walk down the stairs with a flashlight. He waved the light in my face and walked to the furnace room and yelled for me to follow him. I got up and went into the room in the dark but couldn't see him. I started yelling for him a few times before my friend ran into the room to tell me to stop and that no one was down there. That will forever stay with me, I have never experienced a hallucination so convincingly real.

fugggg

Reminds me of fever dreams

I_D

Abusing benadryl is some of the dumbest shit I've done.

Yep. Add DXM to the list too.

I once had a 30+ minute argument with my roommate who wasn't even in the same room at the time. It completely ruined my trip and put me into a horrible mood.

Then he actually walked into the room, and my universe imploded.

Cyanity

Banned
Have a friend who would regularly dose himself with Benadryl because it's a powerful deliriant at high doses. His most memorable account would have to be when he opened his window to speak to the "Amazonian woman" who then entered his room.

Fun fact about deliriants, btw - one of the most commonly reported visions is that of thousands of *deadly* looking white spiders crawling everywhere, on the tripper's body, etc. And an overwhelming sense that these spiders are both deadly and wanting to bite the user. Stick with LSD and shrooms, folks.

tearsofash

I tried Datura once. Cut open a fruit and licked it. There is no way in hell I was gonna do more than that.

Also, Wikipedia is kinda lame. If you want to learn about drugs and stuff go to erowid.org

GhostBed

Fun fact about deliriants, btw - one of the most commonly reported visions is that of thousands of *deadly* looking white spiders crawling everywhere, on the tripper's body, etc. And an overwhelming sense that these spiders are both deadly and wanting to bite the user. Stick with LSD and shrooms, folks.

I saw these spiders!!! They were red for me and in a bit less quantity, but I remember them. I don't remember them ever crawling on my body though, thank god. I'm still really hazy about most of that experience though.

Calvero

Banned
hyperthermia; tachycardia; bizarre, and possibly violent behavior; and severe mydriasis (dilated pupils) with resultant painful photophobia that can last several days. Pronounced amnesia is another commonly reported effect.

nope. no ty.

fuuuuuuuuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom