• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeLorean Driver Gets Speeding Ticket for Driving 88 MPH

Butthead.

CNN said:
Spencer White didn't have a flux capacitor handy, but his DeLorean sports car was zipping down a California highway at a pretty good clip when he got a speeding ticket -- for going 88 mph.

White is a "Back to the Future" enthusiast (that's why he has the DeLorean, duh). He said he and his mom were going about 85 mph Friday on Highway 14 north of Los Angeles when she had an idea.

"My mom, she's looking at me and she just says, 'Take it up to 88, let's do it," White told CNN affiliate KTLA. "I was at 88 for about two seconds ... and, immediately I saw a police officer behind me."

Apparently two seconds at 88 mph isn't long enough to disappear in a trail of fire. It is long enough, however, to get a ticket for almost $400 from an officer. Ouch.

But White, of Santa Clarita, California, didn't seem to mind. He was excited about driving the car that fast, and even the officer who stopped him couldn't help but smile. He even let White take a picture of the speed displayed on the radar gun.

1445460880091.jpg

I still don't understand why most of the plot in the series is actually going to the past. I realize the title says it all but jeez it's a time machine who wants to go to the past.

Sawneeks

Banned
I live in the area and the he drives it around a lot but is a really nice, down to earth kinda guy. He'll often take it to Ihop and let kids and their families take pictures with the car and just chat with people.

There's someone around here that also has the ECTO-1 and an original TV Batmobile but I don't see those as much.

I live in the area and the he drives it around a lot but is a really nice, down to earth kinda guy. He'll often take it to Ihop and let kids and their families take pictures with the car and just chat with people.

There's someone around here that also has the ECTO-1 but I don't see it as much.

I've found DeLorean owners to be extremely friendly and accommodating. I'm sure helps to have 99% of the general population smiling and waving at you.

5taquitos

Stan: We've got to get this DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour.

Steve: You did see the movie!

Stan: What? No, that's as fast as this car goes. Not very powerful. Neat looking, though!

tiger woods pulls his car to the side of the road to sleep off bad driving conditions, internet loses its mind and reigns hell upon he

average joe with a bad ass sports car gets a speeding ticket and is an internet applauded celebrity overnight

welcome to the future

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW 88mph is no joke in a DeLorean which is a heavy POS with an anemic 130hp peugot/renault powerplant.

0-60 took well over ten seconds.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
His mom basically said lets be legends. And that was rad of the officer, lettinf him take a pic of the speed.

Madao

i don't own a DeLorean but i did get to 88mph to see how it felt in the highway a few times.

also, 88 mph is 140 km/h.

In other news someone actually managed to get a DeLorean to 88 MPH. Seriously, aren't they suppose to be heavy and slow as fuck?

Madao

BTW 88mph is no joke in a DeLorean which is a heavy POS with an anemic 130hp peugot/renault powerplant.

0-60 took well over ten seconds.

Doc's Time Machine must have got an engine upgrade since it also had the time travel stuff inside and that looked heavy.

How are people surprised that you get a DeLorean to 88mph? ~60 HP cars get to ~100mph eventually.
(wiki says top speed for the DeLorean is ~123mph btw.)

blugbox

Neo Member
Doc's Time Machine must have got an engine upgrade since it also had the time travel stuff inside and that looked heavy.

I'll second this. Also, based on the audio of the car, it sounds like some high performance V8, certainly not the stock engine.

Lkr

I love how his mom fucking egged him on to do it and he's on record blaming her. I'm actually a bit shocked the officer gave him a ticket and not a warning based on the interaction lol

Top Bottom