• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeLorean Driver Gets Speeding Ticket for Driving 88 MPH

plasmasd

How long did it take him to get it up to 88mph? Foot on the floor for several minutes? Maybe a steep downhill slope

Amirai

0-60 took well over ten seconds.

0-60 in an automatic took 10.5, in a manual it was 8.8.

Also, DeLoreans could go over 100, it was just the regulations at the time that required the speedometer to top out at 85. The official top speed is 109 mph, but lots of people have claimed it's more like 120.

So yeah, I know people like to rag on the underpowered engine and they weren't fast in comparison to other cars but my friend had one for a while (a manual, so a little faster) and when I rode in it and drove it it didn't feel slow at all and she still managed to freak me out with how fast it could go around turns (they have a Lotus suspension). It was my first experience with fast driving to be fair, but regardless the we had a ton of fun with that thing. She also said it was more fun than the Porsches and Ferrari she'd driven (I don't know which ones).

It's a shame they didn't give it the twin turbo they originally planned - they built one car with it and it could match the Ferraris an other sports cars of it's day. They did it to try to get the cost down but the car already wasn't cheap. They should have at least had it as an option or something.

The modern DeLorean motor company has come up with some upgrades to improve the engine, and I've seen talk about them building 'new' cars from their wherehouse of unused spare parts with upgraded aspects like a more powerful engine, brakes and such.

Underpowered or not, the one my friend had was crazy fun.

I'll second this. Also, based on the audio of the car, it sounds like some high performance V8, certainly not the stock engine.

If you're talking about the one in back to the future, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they edited in audio of another engine. I remember the one I heard sounded different which surprised me. Same that the gullwing doors don't make that sound when they open.

Also, fun fact: the horn on a DeLorean isn't activated when pressing the center of the wheel, so Marty slamming his head against it at the end of BTTF 1 shouldn't have done anything. Unless of course Doc Brown modified that too I guess, but it did make me laugh when I realized it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If I was President I'd make an executive order that makes the speed limit 88 mph. You're welcome time travelers. Vote for me. Doc Brown approved.

tumblr_mv2btgBQJ11sfc6p7o1_500.gif

Should have been first post.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The DeLorean may be a shitty car, but it looks totally cool. After all, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In Texas tolls, he could have cruised at 88 mph most days without risk.

I've pushed a Mustang to 110 mph on I-10 in West Texas and I only stopped going faster because the body started exhibiting turbulence. It really doesnt feel so fast with 15 miles visibilty, no traffic, and flat roads. Most other cars are east bound packed up moving from California.

The DeLorean was in Gran Turismo 4, and I was eager to buy the thing and drive it because, well, duh, it's a DeLorean. It took approximately 17 minutes to get it to 88mph at full throttle. What a mess. As a child I just assumed it was a badass sports car (since it looks like one) instead of a piece of junk glued together with parts from France.
Nice. A very direct translation.

Prez

How are people surprised that you get a DeLorean to 88mph? ~60 HP cars get to ~100mph eventually.
(wiki says top speed for the DeLorean is ~123mph btw.)

My 63 hp car can't reach 100 mph even though it's very lightweight. It maxes out at about 90 mph.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
White privilege.

Edit: I need to read the entire thread before commenting. sigh.

Anyway, I can't say I blame the dude. I'd probably want to do it too. But I'd probably find an empty lot or something.

0-60 in an automatic took 10.5, in a manual it was 8.8.

Also, DeLoreans could go over 100, it was just the regulations at the time that required the speedometer to top out at 85. The official top speed is 109 mph, but lots of people have claimed it's more like 120.

So yeah, I know people like to rag on the underpowered engine and they weren't fast in comparison to other cars but my friend had one for a while (a manual, so a little faster) and when I rode in it and drove it it didn't feel slow at all and she still managed to freak me out with how fast it could go around turns (they have a Lotus suspension). It was my first experience with fast driving to be fair, but regardless the we had a ton of fun with that thing. She also said it was more fun than the Porsches and Ferrari she'd driven (I don't know which ones).

It's a shame they didn't give it the twin turbo they originally planned - they built one car with it and it could match the Ferraris an other sports cars of it's day. They did it to try to get the cost down but the car already wasn't cheap. They should have at least had it as an option or something.

The modern DeLorean motor company has come up with some upgrades to improve the engine, and I've seen talk about them building 'new' cars from their wherehouse of unused spare parts with upgraded aspects like a more powerful engine, brakes and such.

Underpowered or not, the one my friend had was crazy fun.

If you're talking about the one in back to the future, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they edited in audio of another engine. I remember the one I heard sounded different which surprised me. Same that the gullwing doors don't make that sound when they open.

Also, fun fact: the horn on a DeLorean isn't activated when pressing the center of the wheel, so Marty slamming his head against it at the end of BTTF 1 shouldn't have done anything. Unless of course Doc Brown modified that too I guess, but it did make me laugh when I realized it.

They said in the commentaries that they replaced all the engines in the DeLoreans in BttF2+3 with Porsche(?) engines because the stock ones kept giving them trouble while shooting BttF1.

Damn, those are some really fucked up priorities. They could have killed someone, or maimed them for life, all for the sake of a movie reference. Should have cost him his license

Top Bottom