• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dementium II |OT| Delay Delay Delay Delay

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
167ruvs.png

Title: Dementium 2
Platform: DS
Developer: Renegade Kid
Publisher Southpeak Games
Official Site: http://www.dementium.com/
Preview: IGN Preview

Release Dates:
US:2/16/2010 4/20/2010 5/4/2010
Europe: 3/5/2010 3/15/2010 4/9/2010 Not even sure anymore. 6/24/10 (maybe) (or since it's the Europe release: 24/6/2010)

91kw77.png

Story:

Southpeak Games said:
You are William Redmoor, recent recipient of a radical brain operation intended to cure psychosis and current inmate at a clandestine treatment center for the criminally insane. Your memories are fuzzy, but it appears that your wife was murdered, and the evidence pointed toward you as the killer. Here at the Bright Dawn Treatment Center you are under the care of an enigmatic figure known only as The Doctor.

Whatever the Doctor's methods, they appear to work - your psychosis is gone... or is it? Demons you once battled have appeared once again. Worse, it seems that the Doctor has some diabolical scheme to perform experimental operations on scores of other inmates. You must not only survive an onslaught of horrific beasts but also stop the Doctor from achieving his goal. With all the insanity that surrounds you, you can't tell if it's you or the world around you that has truly lost it. Just how demented are you?

Time to prepare for phase 2...

New Features:

• New Weapons (Sledge hammer)!
  • Survival Mode!
  • New save system to placate the wimps who didn't like the first one!
  • Plot (unconfirmed)!
  • Three difficulty levels!

About Survival Mode:

IGN Dementium 2 Preview said:
At first the mode is simple and a little too basic, having you move through two rooms with just a shank and revolver as offense while doing damage to spawning enemies. Room one has the shank and health pills, while room two has the revolver and ammo. Beat room two, and you're back to room one with the same enemies now donning more hit points.

Once you finish playing, however, you'll notice there's only one high score for the Survival Mode selection. What ends up happening is that every level you beat in the main story mode actually adds more rooms, weapons, and enemies into the looping survival game, not only upping your offense, but also throwing in more enemies and locales from the core game. What was originally a melee-filled fight for your life in the third wave of room one – by that point most of your revolver ammo is gone and you're quite literally scratching and clawing to survive – turns into a shotgun-induced adrenaline rush. The further you get in the core game, the more you'll have in your pack when the baddies start to amass in survival mode.

2h66ddg.png

Screen Shots (obviously):

dementium-ii-20091030013546079.jpg
dementium-ii-20090819111736315.jpg
dementium-ii-20090908024718712.jpg

dementium-ii-20091030013552001_640w.jpg
dementium-ii-20100108040736808.jpg
dementium-ii-20091027063437528.jpg

Videos

Bright Dawn Trailer
Good Morning William
5 minutes of crazy guy
Trailer with actual gameplay in it

33dhzlv.png

Games Abyss - 9.5
RoboAwesome - 90%
IGN - 8.0
Gamespot - 8.0
Games Radar - 8
GamePro - 3.5 stars

Club Nintendo - 90%
Official Nintendo Magazine UK - 84%
Nintendo Power - 80%

Is this one going to have a story? I didn't like that the first one never told you who you were or what the fuck was going on.

Galactic Fork

rainking187 said:
Is this one going to have a story? I didn't like that the first one never told you who you were or what the fuck was going on.

It's supposed to, but I'm a little skeptical. Hopeful though.

Galactic Fork

Andrex said:
Wait a second, this was delayed again?! When did this happen?

Apparently just before the release. I didn't realize and went into Play N Trade Tuesday to pick it up. Nope, May 4th now... Maybe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Galactic Fork said:
Apparently just before the release. I didn't realize and went into Play N Trade Tuesday to pick it up. Nope, May 4th now... Maybe.

Yeah I even had it marked in my GCalendar and everything... Same day as MH3. Jool confirmed that the game was finished and ready for release in February so this must just be the publisher dicking around.

Gwanatu T

Holy crap I hadn't heard about this before and it's getting released tomorrow? Graphically it looks insane for a DS game; they really have come a long way!

rezuth

Gwanatu T said:
Holy crap I hadn't heard about this before and it's getting released tomorrow? Graphically it looks insane for a DS game; they really have come a long way!
Yes, it is a real shame their Wii game got cancelled.

Boney

Banned
I really hope they achieve succes. They put so much enthusiasm in their games and ideas. I'm buying this.

sphinx

the piano man
joolswatsham said:
SouthPeak tell me that the game has already shipped out to stores, so it will be at your favorite retailer tomorrow. Yay!

Saw this as well. The game is shipping for real, at least in the US. Europe gets the game sometime in June, if I read correctly.

Anyone in Europe wanting to buy the game earlier and perhaps a bit cheaper, I suggest:

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/612561900301?Dementium+II

they ship to your address in Europe, it takes a couple of days. I am just waiting till they can prove they have the game in stock. I don't want to pay and then learn the game was delayed again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
joolswatsham said:
SouthPeak tell me that the game has already shipped out to stores, so it will be at your favorite retailer tomorrow. Yay!

Didn't know you had a GAF account. :p

Boney

Banned
joolswatsham said:
So this is probably out of line here, but both Dementium 1 and Moon had bad pacing and narrative problems. Has the team ackowledge this and tried to fix it?

Anyway, super psyched about this one, and love your mini podcasts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Boney said:
So this is probably out of line here, but both Dementium 1 and Moon had bad pacing and narrative problems. Has the team ackowledge this and tried to fix it?

In the latest one he said they took a look at all the complaints and fixed them... so, hopefully. :p

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Boney said:

It's not out of line at all. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I believe Dementium II addresses the pacing issues of D1 and Moon. Is D2 perfect? No, of course not. But, I truly think that Dementium II poo poo's on D1 and Moon from a great height in every way. :) I hope you enjoy it.

I look forward to hearing how you feel about the game.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
LSauchelli said:
Was it just me, or I was the only one that after playing this wanted a Doom 3 port to Wii and DS?

Loved the first one.

It's funny that you say that. When we were done with Dementium: The Ward, that is exactly what I thought. Doom 3 DS would be great... hey, what about Doom 3DS!? :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
joolswatsham said:
It's funny that you say that. When we were done with Dementium: The Ward, that is exactly what I thought. Doom 3 DS would be great... hey, what about Doom 3DS!? :)

What about Dementium 3DS huh huh WHAT ABOUT THAT!!

Still bitter. >_<

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
joolswatsham said:
I would love to make Dementium 3DS.

Yeah well I hope you do. Or else you'd just be a dirty April foolster like everyone else! :p

Boney

Banned
joolswatsham said:
It's not out of line at all. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I believe Dementium II addresses the pacing issues of D1 and Moon. Is D2 perfect? No, of course not. But, I truly think that Dementium II poo poo's on D1 and Moon from a great height in every way. :) I hope you enjoy it.

I will.
Hopefully, I'll get it at launch, but exams and Monster Hunter Tri are killing me. I'll pick it next week for sure.

Andrex said:
What about Dementium 3DS huh huh WHAT ABOUT THAT!!

Still bitter. >_<
:lol That could actually work pretty well
maybe? I duuno, just guessing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Boney said:
:lol That could actually work pretty well
maybe? I duuno, just guessing.

Horror on a portable would be 500% more scary with stuff jumping out the screen at you.
No idea if that's actually true but I think it could be.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Mejilan said:
No lucking finding it today.

Sorry to hear that. I called ahead to my local Gamestop and they had a couple of copies, so I went in and bought one! Yay!! Nice to finally have a real copy of the game in my hands. There may not be many, but there are some copies of D2 out there today.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
D2-Gamestop.jpg

What I really like about this is the fact that Dementium II is placed next to Satisfashion. Afterall, both games are targetted towards the same demographic.

Boney

Banned
At least it a really nice shelf space. Down here, you'll have to gnaw and mawl people to get a little bit of information on where to find it.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Reviews so far:

Games Abyss - 95%
RoboAwesome - 90%
Club Nintendo - 90%
Official Nintendo Magazine UK - 84%
IGN - 80%
Nintendo Power - 80%
Games Radar - 80%
GamePro - 70%

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kinda worried about the IGN review. Before, I almost always knew how Boz or Cas would fall on the game. Now that they're gone I can't really trust them anymore. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This looks pretty cool, a horror game on DS...I will play the original in the near future and this afterwords.

So do you use the stylus to beat people with that hammer? If so, I'm sold.

jdevil99

Another fun game Jools. I'm happy to see the growing number of glowing reviews and commend you and the rest of your staff at Renegade on another great title. I'm about two hours into my copy that I picked up after seeing Nightmare on Elm Street (See horror then play it :D ), and I'm loving it. Congrats, you guys have my money from now until you stop making games, that's for sure. Three day one purchases for all your games have all been met with satisfaction and I can only hope that this title makes it into as many gamers hands as possible.

Off-topic: Whats the status on Maximillian and the Rise of the Mutant Mudds, which was shown a bit last year and looked interesting, and I love me sum platformers. Still being worked on and no publisher? Cancelled? I know you use code names for games your working on in your blog but why would you use code names for an announced game? Oh well, wish you the best, hope you can answer my question.

Galactic Fork

Woo! Managed to pick it up today at my local play and trade! Will have real impressions later. The instruction book is awesome though. It's made out like a bloody brochure for the Bright Dawn facility. I only played through the opening cut scene and tutorial. Right away you face some vagina chests. I am disappointed the monsters fall to the ground and vanish rather the cool dissolving effect they had in the first game. Controls are just as great as the original. I really hope they expand the story.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
jdevil99 said:
Another fun game Jools. I'm happy to see the growing number of glowing reviews and commend you and the rest of your staff at Renegade on another great title. I'm about two hours into my copy that I picked up after seeing Nightmare on Elm Street (See horror then play it :D ), and I'm loving it. Congrats, you guys have my money from now until you stop making games, that's for sure. Three day one purchases for all your games have all been met with satisfaction and I can only hope that this title makes it into as many gamers hands as possible.

Off-topic: Whats the status on Maximillian and the Rise of the Mutant Mudds, which was shown a bit last year and looked interesting, and I love me sum platformers. Still being worked on and no publisher? Cancelled? I know you use code names for games your working on in your blog but why would you use code names for an announced game? Oh well, wish you the best, hope you can answer my question.

Thanks man. Regarding Maximilian, well, it is on hold basically. We shopped the playable demo around and didn't get any bites. It is difficult to sell original games to publishers. One day we will make a 3D platformer. It may or may not be Max. But, one day we will do one as it is one of our favorite genres.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
joolswatsham said:
Thanks man. Regarding Maximilian, well, it is on hold basically. We shopped the playable demo around and didn't get any bites. It is difficult to sell original games to publishers. One day we will make a 3D platformer. It may or may not be Max. But, one day we will do one as it is one of our favorite genres.

But Spirit is going well right? And that must be an original IP from what you've said. That other game, too ("they're not like anything we've ever done before" or something to that effect.)

trinest

joolswatsham said:

I always thought Moon was pretty weak, but the Dementium series is pretty awesome.

Is there a UK or AUS date for DII yet?

joolswatsham

Neo Member
trinest said:
I always thought Moon was pretty weak, but the Dementium series is pretty awesome.

Is there a UK or AUS date for DII yet?

I think the Euro date for D2 is June 25th. I don't know why it is so delayed after the US release, but that's what I've been told. :(

It's interesting that you found Moon weak in comparison to Dementium. Everyone's tastes vary so much, which is fascinating. I personally prefer the Dementium series to Moon too - I'm a sucker for the atmosphere - but I also really dig Moon of course. I think it is more Metroid-like than Hunters is. But, according to IGN Moon is better than Dementium - so that ends the argument.

Celine

joolswatsham said:
Have you thought to do like Shin'en with Jett Rocket or maybe Wiiware ( and others DD services ) isn't feasible for your studio ?

Mael

joolswatsham said:
I think the Euro date for D2 is June 25th. I don't know why it is so delayed after the US release, but that's what I've been told. :(

It's interesting that you found Moon weak in comparison to Dementium. Everyone's tastes vary so much, which is fascinating. I personally prefer the Dementium series to Moon too - I'm a sucker for the atmosphere - but I also really dig Moon of course. I think it is more Metroid-like than Hunters is. But, according to IGN Moon is better than Dementium - so that ends the argument.

Dear god I knew I shouldn't have gone back to this thread....
Is Moon the Metroid-like or Dementium?
I mean just to be sure which one I pick first....

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Celine said:
Have you thought to do like Shin'en with Jett Rocket or maybe Wiiware ( and others DD services ) isn't feasible for your studio ?

The biggest obstacle for us is the cost of development. Paying for a team to produce something can get crazy expensive. We funded 2/3 of the development of Dementium: The Ward before we landed a deal with a publisher, and we just did a similar thing with our current project, which is code-named Spirit. But, we can only do that on a limited basis as we're small and independent. I expect we'll end up having to create a substantial portion of a 3D platformer before we find a home for it.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Mael said:
Dear god I knew I shouldn't have gone back to this thread....
Is Moon the Metroid-like or Dementium?
I mean just to be sure which one I pick first....

Yes, in my opinion Moon is more Metroid-like than Hunters. But, I think Dementium II is much better than Moon (and Hunters). :)

Top Bottom