• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dementium II |OT| Delay Delay Delay Delay

Mael

joolswatsham said:
Yes, in my opinion Moon is more Metroid-like than Hunters. But, I think Dementium II is much better than Moon (and Hunters). :)

yeah but Dementium II is not out here yet :D
so I think I'll get Moon and dementium now if I find them and DII in june.
nice to see some good fps adventure on DS

Celine

joolswatsham said:
The biggest obstacle for us is the cost of development. Paying for a team to produce something can get crazy expensive. We funded 2/3 of the development of Dementium: The Ward before we landed a deal with a publisher, and we just did a similar thing with our current project, which is code-named Spirit. But, we can only do that on a limited basis as we're small and independent. I expect we'll end up having to create a substantial portion of a 3D platformer before we find a home for it.
Yeah, I thought it.

What's "Spirit" , never heard of it ? Was it already revealed to the press ?

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Mael said:
yeah but Dementium II is not out here yet :D
so I think I'll get Moon and dementium now if I find them and DII in june.
nice to see some good fps adventure on DS

Awesome, thanks! I appreciate your support.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Celine said:
Yeah, I thought it.

What's "Spirit" , never heard of it ? Was it already revealed to the press ?

It hasn't been announced yet. If you're interested, I waffle about what we're working on in my blog, here.

Mael

joolswatsham said:
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate your support.

no need to thank me yet I'm having a hard time finding your games :lol .
Still thanks for the support on your part, I mean I always hear how gamers support devs but you actually provide the goods to keep us interested in the hobby, my guitar teacher sure hates you all :lol

Boney

Banned
Keeping the thread alive. Haven't got time for the reviews. What are their issues with the game exactly?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Score!
My local GS surprisingly got 2 copies in. Honestly, that's 2 copies more than I thought they'd get. I was the first one to pick it up, which means, of course, that I got the only copy that wasn't gutted. Haha.

I'd like some impressions too.

I found Moon one of the most boring games I've ever played. I'm sorry, I really wanted to support the devs and that's why I bought Moon, but damn I hated that game.

Mejilan

I've yet to pop it in, I'm chagrined to admit.
Now would be a good time, except that I'm about to go out for a nice bike ride!
Cheers!

dream

I still can't believe the things this engine is capable of doing on the creaky old DS hardware.

Have you guys considered bringing this engine over to iPhone?

Mael

Well South Peak isn't the best publisher ever.....
Dementium is out of print (but I could find 1 copy new at GAME for 25 or so bucks)
Moon is nearly out of question (out of print and never heard of it, yeah for supporting your local shop I guess)....
In Dementium I'm against the wheelchair boss, the game is very unsettling... It's actually way more scary than any Resident Evil or Action packed horror game I've played....
And to think I won't be able to get D2 before July or even august.....

GeekyDad

Best of luck to you, Jools. Though there were some quirks I didn't care for with the first game, it still managed to knock my socks off in quite a few ways. You guys seem to have put a ridiculous amount of detail into this one, and I look forward to checking out the game in the near future.

Mejilan

Put in a bit of time last night, and it sure is nice to see the game start off appropriately creepy. Controls and graphics are, as expected, stellar. The presentation, visuals, audio, and VA are very effective so far. If the game continues to blend the real world and the horror world into this neat dual-realm mechanic, then the exploration factor and puzzle solving should be massively improved over the original.

Boney

Banned
K guys bringing the thread back from the dead. Hopefully we can get 3 pages. (so sad)
Got a little break from Monster Hunter and finally found the game.

Note: I played and beat the game on Easy

Why Easy you may ask? Because in the first 20 minutes you encounter your first boss. Which takes forever to kill in normal and absolutely pissed me off.

Jools, one of my mayor beef with the game the boss fights. I don't think boss fights with health bars and repetitive patterns are good game design. They're tedious and you know how much is left, giving up on suspense and desesperation.

So anyway, impressions. Controls work great. Absolutely fluid, stylus sensitivity is also really well done, allowing you to aim and turn without any problems. Great job on that one guys, a lot of fine tuning must've been involved on that one.
As you can see from screenshots and videos, they game looks stunning. But when you hold it in your hands, you really get to appreciate it. It doesn't harm it that it has tons of varied locals and enemies.

Sound works. Although they seem almost ripped off of Silent Hill, it's clear the whole premise of both games are based on them, so I don't see no harm. It does the job well, from calm and melancholic melodies, to the rusty bangs of action. Sound effects are also well done, with some really disturbing ones.

Plenty of weapons and the interface works great. Sliding the stylus is the perfect way to select things.

Apparently there's some exploring since I missed one weapon.

And god. There was one part that the game made me feel exactly like I felt 15 years ago while playing Marathon.

It's a really decent game with some hold backs that don't allow it to be great. Some are platform specific, some budget specific, and some bad game design. But it's a solid package really worth your time. It has some fantastic ideas, and I can't wait to see what you guys do next.

Ricker

Can`t find this game anywhere in the Montreal area :( ...I want to try this,it`would be the first FPS I try on a handheld...I saw Moon cheap at a EBGames but I read it`s not that good?

NewFresh

Picked up and playing. The people behind me on the bus saw it and gave me a weird look, mainly because I was looking at some impaled person in the game :D

Mejilan

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Picked up and playing. The people behind me on the bus saw it and gave me a weird look, mainly because I was looking at some impaled person in the game :D

Was that the one that was still twitching despite having been reduced to mostly skeleton and sinew?

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Boney said:
K guys bringing the thread back from the dead. Hopefully we can get 3 pages. (so sad)
Got a little break from Monster Hunter and finally found the game.

Note: I played and beat the game on Easy

Why Easy you may ask? Because in the first 20 minutes you encounter your first boss. Which takes forever to kill in normal and absolutely pissed me off.

Jools, one of my mayor beef with the game the boss fights. I don't think boss fights with health bars and repetitive patterns are good game design. They're tedious and you know how much is left, giving up on suspense and desesperation.

So anyway, impressions. Controls work great. Absolutely fluid, stylus sensitivity is also really well done, allowing you to aim and turn without any problems. Great job on that one guys, a lot of fine tuning must've been involved on that one.
As you can see from screenshots and videos, they game looks stunning. But when you hold it in your hands, you really get to appreciate it. It doesn't harm it that it has tons of varied locals and enemies.

Sound works. Although they seem almost ripped off of Silent Hill, it's clear the whole premise of both games are based on them, so I don't see no harm. It does the job well, from calm and melancholic melodies, to the rusty bangs of action. Sound effects are also well done, with some really disturbing ones.

Plenty of weapons and the interface works great. Sliding the stylus is the perfect way to select things.

Apparently there's some exploring since I missed one weapon.

And god. There was one part that the game made me feel exactly like I felt 15 years ago while playing Marathon.

It's a really decent game with some hold backs that don't allow it to be great. Some are platform specific, some budget specific, and some bad game design. But it's a solid package really worth your time. It has some fantastic ideas, and I can't wait to see what you guys do next.

Thanks for the feedback, Boney. You played it on Easy though? C'mon man, really? The real experience is playing it on Normal. I hope you will revisit it someday and play it on Normal to experience the adventure how it was intended. Easy was added for casual players, and Hard is for the hardcore players (naturally). Sure, the Gnaw boss may have a little too much health, but I don't think its enough to warrant playing the entire game on Easy. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to play through the entire game (even though it was on Easy), and providing your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it (for the most part).

joolswatsham

Neo Member
I like Destructoid. I appreciate the website and their perspective on games. Destructoid's Jim Sterling just reviewed Dementium II, and scored it 7.5, which is a decent score. Sure, I hoped it would be higher, but 7.5 is decent. And, I like Jim. He is the reason I bought Deadly Premonition due to his love for the game. He scored it a 9 I think.

What confuses me though, is the fact that Dementium: The Ward scored 8.5 on Destructoid. Jim does not mention how Dementium II compares to Dementium: The Ward, so I am left to assume that Dementium: The Ward is better than Dementium II based on the scores given. But, based on my personal judgement (which, I admit, is slightly bias), I'm pretty sure Dementium II is leagues better than Dementium: The Ward in pretty much every way. So, I am left to wonder whether my opinion of the Dementium games is wrong, or if the scores on Destructoid are inaccurate.

What do you think?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe other mature FPSs on DS have pushed the genre so far forward since D1 came out that-

:lol OK, I really don't know.

Mejilan

I think you can directly compare the two scores.
Had Jim wanted to set the sequel up against the original, he probably would have dedicated at least a line or two to that point.
I don't know what Destructoid's review practices are (I don't follow them); but it's more likely that Dementium I merited an 85 taking into consideration the library of action/adventure/horror/shooters that was available at the time. These days, there are quite a few more FPS options on the DS, and some of them are actually pretty decent. More inter-genre competition, and being a sequel, Dementium II isn't all that a refreshing/original effort anymore.

Edit - Also, there are a number of DS FPS games that feature online competitive multiplayer, which of course Dementium II lacks. I'm not saying it's a glaring omission (what with the horror elements), but the genre has become more robust and feature-rich on the DS over the years.

*shrugs*

Mejilan

I don't really remember when Dementium came out, but the near-annual Call of Duty games have gotten better and better. So there have probably been around 2 of those. There was also C.O.R.E. which wasn't really all that good. And Moon, of course.

I think I'm missing something, but those are the ones I definitely recall purchasing.

Boney

Banned
joolswatsham said:
Thanks for the feedback, Boney. You played it on Easy though? C'mon man, really? The real experience is playing it on Normal. I hope you will revisit it someday and play it on Normal to experience the adventure how it was intended. Easy was added for casual players, and Hard is for the hardcore players (naturally). Sure, the Gnaw boss may have a little too much health, but I don't think its enough to warrant playing the entire game on Easy. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to play through the entire game (even though it was on Easy), and providing your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it (for the most part).
No problem man, the thing is, I felt it was just irritating to slash 6 times a regular zombie for it to die. And I was actually ok with ammo if I didn't use the top part (which I didn't).
I feel that in a game where combat is key, I feel numbers work better than pure endurance. Although that might not be doable on a DS hardware.

Also dude, those shadow monsters. Very well done! Reduced me back to being a 4 year old on my Mac computer, simply amazing!

And of course I'm gonna play it again, I don't toss games in the garbage after I finish them (especially on easy). So count on me in giving a new set of impressions of the game.

EDIT: Just remembered. Those mini backtracking parts. God what an irritating thing to do. I don't know whose idea that was, but not good.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I started the game on hard, but after the first boss and the gauntlet of vagina chests right after, I restarted on normal. Much better experience at that point!

One complaint is that this picture:
dementium-ii-20100108040736808.jpg

made me think they made it so the flashlight didn't go off into infinity (with a few distant ceiling lights visible), but that darkness is an enemy. So, once again the flashlight lights everything in its circle the same, no matter how far it is. Not a huuuuge deal, but I'd gotten my hopes up. (My own fault, admittedly).

Is it just me or is the double tap sensitivity much higher in this than the first one(edit: did the first game even have a double tap jump?)? I find when I'm fighting enemies with melee weapons, I will jump randomly because of a slight pressure drop while I'm realigning myself after a swing. Turning off the double tap jump and just using the onscreen button solved that.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
Galactic Fork said:
I started the game on hard, but after the first boss and the gauntlet of vagina chests right after, I restarted on normal. Much better experience at that point!

One complaint is that this picture:
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/105/1059410/dementium-ii-20100108040736808.jpg
made me think they made it so the flashlight didn't go off into infinity (with a few distant ceiling lights visible, but that darkness is an enemy. So, once again the flashlight lights everything in its circle the same, no matter how far it is. Not a huuuuge deal, but I'd gotten my hopes up. (My own fault, admittedly).

Is it just me or is the double tap sensitivity much higher in this than the first one(edit: did the first game even have a double tap jump?)? I find when I'm fighting enemies with melee weapons, I will jump randomly because of a slight pressure drop while I'm realigning myself after a swing. Turning off the double tap jump and just using the onscreen button solved that.

Yes, I agree. I'm not a big fan of double-tap jumping. We included the double-tap option due to the tradition established by Metroid Hunters, but it is very hard to find a timing that does not result in accidental jumping. I beleive the dedicated Jump touch-button (and the option to turn double-tap jumping off) works really well. It was one of the new features that we spent a lot of time to implement; changing the position and size of the Jump touch-button (and crouch touch-button) until it felt the most comfortable.

(Edit: No, Dementium: The Ward and Moon did not have jumping.)

Manmedaz

Bought Dementium: the Ward and Dementium 2, and I'm loving the first one for the moment, despite the difficulty and the awfully punishing death. I'm going to test the 2nd for a non-pro French website (www.nintendo-difference.com), and I really want to finish them both before doing so :). Well, I guess I have time to do so anyway, game still has no release date in Europe :p.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Manmedaz said:
Bought Dementium: the Ward and Dementium 2, and I'm loving the first one for the moment, despite the difficulty and the awfully punishing death. I'm going to test the 2nd for a non-pro French website (www.nintendo-difference.com), and I really want to finish them both before doing so :). Well, I guess I have time to do so anyway, game still has no release date in Europe :p.

Oh hmm... There might be a date now. this one shopping site (the one the Eurogamer review linked to) seems to think it'll be released June 25th. Any info Jools?

Manmedaz

Galactic Fork said:
Oh hmm... There might be a date now. this one shopping site (the one the Eurogamer review linked to) seems to think it'll be released June 25th. Any info Jools?

Apparently, amazon.fr says 24th of June. It leaves me plenty of time to finish both games - I'm near the end in the first one, and almost pulling my hair out; I *hate* banshees !

So is the save system improved? The first game's was weird in that if you died, you had to start the whole level over again, even if you had saved at a mid-level checkpoint before that.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
faceless007 said:
So is the save system improved? The first game's was weird in that if you died, you had to start the whole level over again, even if you had saved at a mid-level checkpoint before that.

Yes, there are manual save spots now placed in perfect locations.

Cep

Banned
joolswatsham said:
I like Destructoid. I appreciate the website and their perspective on games. Destructoid's Jim Sterling just reviewed Dementium II, and scored it 7.5, which is a decent score. Sure, I hoped it would be higher, but 7.5 is decent. And, I like Jim. He is the reason I bought Deadly Premonition due to his love for the game. He scored it a 9 I think.

What confuses me though, is the fact that Dementium: The Ward scored 8.5 on Destructoid. Jim does not mention how Dementium II compares to Dementium: The Ward, so I am left to assume that Dementium: The Ward is better than Dementium II based on the scores given. But, based on my personal judgement (which, I admit, is slightly bias), I'm pretty sure Dementium II is leagues better than Dementium: The Ward in pretty much every way. So, I am left to wonder whether my opinion of the Dementium games is wrong, or if the scores on Destructoid are inaccurate.

What do you think?

Scores between games are not(and should not be) a direct comparison.

However, it is 'unprofessional' to not have done some comparison to the original.

Manmedaz

I just finished The Ward and have started Dementium 2. So far so good, I like it - it's nice to have the game in French both in the menu and the acting ; thank you Quebec I guess. It may be the best FPS on DS.

Boney

Banned
Manmedaz said:
I just finished The Ward and have started Dementium 2. So far so good, I like it - it's nice to have the game in French both in the menu and the acting ; thank you Quebec I guess. It may be the best FPS on DS.
It is, by far. The although it's more of an adventure game than a straight up shooter.

Manmedaz

Yeah, I'm chapter 4 now, and it feels kind of like a first person Silent Hill. Only thing I don't really like until now are the bosses, they sometimes feel kind of "out of place". Too bad, because the rest of the game is quite impressive !

NewFresh

Manmedaz said:
Yeah, I'm chapter 4 now, and it feels kind of like a first person Silent Hill. Only thing I don't really like until now are the bosses, they sometimes feel kind of "out of place". Too bad, because the rest of the game is quite impressive !

I have to disagree. The bosses were not the highlight of the game, but they were something I kept looking forward to.

So does this one have a long hallway you have to run down and hope the ghosts, or whatever they were, didn't kill you before you got to the end? I thought the first one was pretty cool, until I got to that hallway and had to restart the level 3 or 4 times.

Top Bottom