• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demento comes to US, Europe

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/05/news_6109683.html
Capcom will bring its unique horror title to Western markets under the name "Haunting Ground."

After teasing the game's announcement with a mysterious Web site, then showing it on video at the Tokyo Game Show, Capcom has announced that its survival horror game Demento is headed for the US and European markets under the title "Haunting Ground."

Capcom describes Haunting Ground as a survival horror title with a twist--though the main character, Fiona Belli, is physically weak and unable to go head-to-head with the monsters that inhabit the old castle she finds herself trapped in, she must use her wit to find creative solutions to ensure her survival. Her salvation comes in the form of a white shepherd dog named Hewie, who can and will attack the enemies that come after Fiona.

To heighten the sense of fear, Haunting Ground will feature various little touches that are intended to scare you out of your wits. The announcement today cryptically says that the "control pad mimics Fiona's pounding heartbeat;" she will become "more difficult to control the more time is spent near an enemy;" and "if Fiona is not able to escape a threatening scenario, the screen becomes grainy, changing to black and white and eventually sending her into panic mode."

Capcom also revealed that actor/director Naoto Takenaka, who starred in this year's Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, will direct the in-game cinematic scenes. Haunting Ground is currently slated for a summer 2005 release. While you wait, check out the TGS 2004 trailer and first impressions on the title's GameSpace.

Ar_

belgurdo said:
When can we have a horror game with a female lead that can actually fight (without guns?)

I can imagine it.
IIIIhhh Ah ZOMBIE, EAT MY GRRRL KUNG FU!
*slaps moster* *pulls moster's hairs* *scratches the mosters* *bites moster*
The ultimate horror experience :)

belgurdo

Banned
Ar_ said:
I can imagine it.

Good sir, you have just made my day

FnordChan

Capcom's press release said:
The announcement today cryptically says that the "control pad mimics Fiona's pounding heartbeat;" she will become "more difficult to control the more time is spent near an enemy;" and "if Fiona is not able to escape a threatening scenario, the screen becomes grainy, changing to black and white and eventually sending her into panic mode."

Don't forget: "The more frightened she is, the more Fiona's chest heaves" and "Fiona tends to remove layers of clothing when under stress".

FnordChan

AniHawk

Ar_ said:
I can imagine it.

And that's all *before* "that time of the month."

You know, the crazy thing is - and I know it's really a bad idea to get overly excited about Capcom game announcements - I'm really legitimately intrigued. Like, after looking at the characters and story teasers, I actually find myself wondering what happened to the girl, and who that monster/scary deformed Sloth-looking guy is, and what's going on with all that. I really want to play this.

Laurent

Defensor said:
Resident Evil 4 killer :p
The graphic engine is very Resident Evilesque indeed. I wonder if Production Studio 4 offered the mansion that was portrayed in the first version of Biohazard 4 to Production Studio 1, has a base for that game? This would have been clever and very Capcom...

cvxfreak

Capcom's a creatively sharing company when it comes to exchange between development teams. Demento is definitely influenced from DMC and the original edition of BH4, but they clearly don't use the same engine - the old GC BH4 demo from 2002 still looks better than Demento today, but for a PS2 game, Demento's quite beautiful.

Top Bottom