• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats Have a 60 Percent Chance to Retake the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/24/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The Upshot’s new Senate election forecast gives Democrats a 60 percent chance of winning control of the chamber in November.

Included within this 60 percent is a 17 percent chance that the Senate ends up evenly split with a Democratic vice president providing the tiebreaking vote.

By our count, the Democrats need to win five seats among the 11 most competitive races. (The Democrats will need to win six if Donald J. Trump wins the presidential race; we put Mr. Trump’s chances of winning at only 11 percent). Ten of these seats are held by Republicans, and one by a Democrat, Harry Reid of Nevada, who is retiring.

That the Democrats are favored in this election should not be surprising.

The 2016 Senate elections boded well for the Democrats without any consideration of a possible Trump effect on down-ballot races. In recent history, Democrats have done better in presidential election years than in midterm years, when turnout is lower. Most of the senators up for re-election last went before the voters in the Republican wave election of 2010 — when the G.O.P. made big and broad gains in an anti-Obama environment — leaving Republicans with several potentially vulnerable incumbents.

This year, the Democrats are defending only 10 seats while the Republicans have to preserve 24. On fundamentals alone — that is, historical voting patterns, the candidates’ political experience and fund-raising — the Democrats would have about a 50-50 shot to win the Senate. The latest Senate polling improves this figure to 60 percent.

More analysis at the link.

HylianTom

Banned
DYzqV.gif

Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium has it even higher.
~20% of a fifty fifty split
~35% of 51 dem seats
~27% of 52 dem seats
~8% of 53 dem seats

Basically, it's looking pretty good. The House, however, I'm bearish on.

DrArchon

I wonder when we'll finally get to that point where GOP senators start rejecting Trump en masse in order to save their seats, and I wonder if that'll even help at this point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe they should reconsider that Merrick Garland vote thing

Arksy

I'm pretty out of it concerning US politics at the moment, what's the chances of the Dems taking the HoR?

DrArchon

I'm pretty out of it concerning US politics at the moment, what's the chances of the Dems taking the HoR?

I wouldn't consider that to be likely at all. Republicans have an even bigger lead, and they're more entrenched thanks to gerrymandering.

The odds are against them, but it's higher than people would have guess just sixth months ago. The problem is that, while Donald Trump is hurting the down ticket pretty badly, no one could have really predicted this would happen, so some seats which are now competitive weren't ever contested by serious Democratic challengers because they were previously seen as unwinnable. Plus, gerrymandering. I'd say odds of Dems taking the house are less than 40, but that's just a subjective number from the top of my head.

If the democrats retake the senate can they elect the most left wing judges possible, or is it still philibusterable without a supermajority?

What are the chances of them retaking the House as well?

I'm not sure how it actually helps to have one without the other.

You don't need the House to appoint justices to SCOTUS.

If the democrats retake the senate can they elect the most left wing judges possible, or is it still philibusterable without a supermajority?

SCOTUS nominees can be filibustered, so they'd need more than a majority to overcome one. However, there's actually nothing stopping the Senate from just getting rid of the rules allowing for a filibuster on SCOTUS appointments with a simple majority. So they couldn't overcome a filibuster, but they can just make them not possible.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Odds they capitulate and take the known quantity before the election?

That would be admitting they're going to lose.

They're more likely to try after the election happens.

HylianTom

Banned
I'd bet good money that if the GOP filibusters SCOTUS nominees after stating that they want the next President to make nominations, Schumer will nuke the filibuster and the Dems will push through some really solidly liberal judges.

gspec

That is not good enough. It should be higher. That shows the democrats are not doing a good job of taking advantage of the current political environment.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'd bet good money that if the GOP filibusters SCOTUS nominees after stating that they want the next President to make nominations, Schumer will nuke the filibuster and the Dems will push through some really solidly liberal judges.

GOP won't filibuster picks because they know the Dems will go nuclear if they do.

That is not good enough. It should be higher. That shows the democrats are not doing a good job of taking advantage of the current political environment.

Has nothing to with Dems honestly, the country is just split down the middle with Dems and GOP fighting for scraps.

platocplx

Historically.
1855-2010
Over the past 100 years the Democratic party has held power nearly twice as long as the Republicans in both the Senate and the House. And the Democratic party has had control of the White House and the two Houses of Congress for 35 years, compared to 16 years for the Republican party over the last 100 years

The problems in this country is that
Presidential power is split nearly equally:
Democrats: 52 yrs
Republicans: 48 yrs

Interesting charts here:

Now I think because of the democratic majorities they have had done a lot to progress the country, but if you look at who the president has been they may have helped to impede progress, including republicans where basically people have had to work with them.

Over time Democrats have had total control total years 1855-2010
Democrats: 35 yrs
Republicans: 16 yrs
Neither Party: 49 yrs

and the time dems had total control you match up with the years you could see where times that the US had made many significant gains. But total control is pretty rare, only small bursts of time.

its actually pretty interesting to see, then match up the time frames with who prospered during those times.

I def want to see how states have been which sometimes have been repub strongholds for a lot of states.

Curufinwe

I see the PA ads in DE, and Toomey keeps advertising the fact he voted for gun control against the wishes of his Republican/NRA masters.

Interesting election.

60% seems low. They only need to swing 4 seats. Johnson, Kirk, and Ayotte are all 100% going down. That leaves them with only one swing seat they have to flip.

In the end its mostly irrelevant, as they aren't getting close to 60 seats, and the ass-whipping the dems are going to receive in 2018 will make 2010 seem tame in comparison.

entremet

Just 60?

Looks like it'll be a repeat of the last six years of nothing getting done.

There's a lot of Republicans out there.

Many posters here tend to underestimate the popularity and ubiquity of GOP in vast swaths of the US.

They also dominate State Houses and Governorships.

gspec

Chuck Schumer ain't about that life. Nuclear option is on the table if the blocking of Supreme Court nominees continues past the election.

And that would be a mistake. If they remove the fillbuster than when the repubs take the senate again it will be a disaster.

Quixzlizx

And that would be a mistake. If they remove the fillbuster than when the repubs take the senate again it will be a disaster.

That doesn't matter as long as the GOP doesn't have the Senate + House + Presidency at the same time. The president can always veto their bullshit.

gspec

That doesn't matter as long as the GOP doesn't have the Senate + House + Presidency at the same time. The president can always veto their bullshit.

You are assuming there will never be a GOP president again. The filibuster is there for a reason. The GOP is able to control the congress is because not enough people are voting, especially young voters during mid-terms. It is up to the Dems to get people out to vote for them.

Drakeon

You are assuming there will never be a GOP president again. The filibuster is there for a reason. The GOP is able to control the congress is because not enough people are voting, especially young voters during mid-terms. It is up to the Dems to get people out to vote for them.

Are you saying it would be better to never appoint a new SCOTUS? Or have to appoint a republican SCOTUS? Because those are the other options.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Chuck Schumer ain't about that life. Nuclear option is on the table if the blocking of Supreme Court nominees continues past the election.

Doing so would be extremely dangerous. Specifically for the judges.

Reps wont block judges. But dont expect to get anything else passed. All of Clinton's proposals like tax increases, college loan reform, immigration reform, healthcare reform will never get a vote.

Just look at the last six years of Obama's presidency. Dems controlled the senate for four of those years but because they didnt have 60 votes, they couldnt get anything done.

No, House+Senate+President is enough checks and balances. No need for another bs check in the senate. If a party controls all three branches they get to do whatever the fuck they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom