• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve eyed by Legendary to helm the Dune movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Why are people calling him the GOAT director lately? Because he directed Sicario? It was a good movie, but GOAT? Prisoners was pretty good too.. But, again, where does the GOAT talk come from?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I havent seen his films. How good is he at directing dialogue?
To be fair to the book I feel you would need Quentin to nail the dialogues and characters.

A lot of the book is basically inner monologues of the characters so its not even dialogue but translating the inner turmoil to something on screen that audiences can understand without dumbing it down. Lynch did this in parts despite executing other areas brilliantly, namely changing what is basically space martial arts system practiced by super humans into deadly space noise.

Why are people calling him the GOAT director lately? Because he directed Sicario? It was a good movie, but GOAT? Prisoners was pretty good too.. But, again, where does the GOAT talk come from?

Arrival is good as well.

Basically, he has proven himself to be a very capable filmmaker and given the sorts of people who usually get attached to these kinds of projects he's pretty much best case scenario for the likes of Bladerunner 2 and this.

DirtyCase

I always classified space operas as "galaxy scale". Space battles, sweeping scope and scale, and whatnot. Dune sounds much more intimate and less of a grand scope than say Star Wars

Basically Dune is a sci-fi epic, but it isn't a space opera IMO

Dune definitely has the chivalric romance aspect of space opera. The rest of the series also features a lot more of what you think of as space opera.

Either way if there was one director I would trust to do this film(s?) properly it is Villeneuve.

I feel that since Arrival, Blade Runner, and Dune are so thematically and as I imagine visually different, he won't get burnt out from sci-fi in directing those projects.

That is unless he makes several Dune or Blade Runner sequels.

I need God Emperor of Dune in either film or TV format plzzzz

We're like one more project away from Villeneuve being the go-to director to hate on like Nolan. Actually, Dune might be the movie to start that trend.

I think Villeneuve is an amazing pick for Dune, though, just off of the imagery I've seen in Blade Runner 2049. He's got a surreal touch like Jodorowsky.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Couldn't get through the book. I liked the idea, but it was very difficult to read, made me fall asleep all the time. I don't like the excessive focus on world building instead of just telling a story. As a movie I think it would work much better, but not as a direct adaptation. Never saw the old one.

We're like one more project away from Villeneuve being the go-to director to hate on like Nolan. Actually, Dune might be the movie to start that trend.

I think Villeneuve is an amazing pick for Dune, though, just off of the imagery I've seen in Blade Runner 2049. He's got a surreal touch like Jodorowsky.
Villeneuve and Eggers are my favorite new directors (well new as in I only learned about them recently). The former doing Dune would be incredible. and the latter currently doing Nosferatu is just perfect

Oh, and Saulnier too. Lionsgate wanted him to direct the Sicario sequel, but he had to pass

I'm ahead of the pack here ;). He is an overrated internet favorite. But I already expressed that feeling in the blade runner thread, incidentally by comparing him to Nolan (others mentioned inarritu, which is also on point).

Anyway, he could do a decent job on this. But I actually don't hate the Lynch movie.

Jobbs

Banned

Most people I've seen hating on Nolan have done it because his movies have some incredibly dumb stuff in them. I haven't seen the same from Villeneuve so far, in fact, it feels a little silly putting them in the same category in any way

The Mule

giphy.gif

Since Fury Road I've thought George Miller would make a great director for a Dune movie.

nomis

Most people I've seen hating on Nolan have done it because his movies have some incredibly dumb stuff in them. I haven't seen the same from Villeneuve so far, in fact, it feels a little silly putting them in the same category in any way

Basically. I'm as big a fan of Prestige/TDK/Inception as basically anyone on the planet, but TDKR and Interstellar had massive groaners that exposed weaknesses Nolan had from the beginning.

People in this thread should call me when DV starts making some boneheaded moves cus i've seen none so far.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Not just Prisoners and Sicario. Add in Polytechnique, Incendies, Enemy and Arrival and you get the best goddamn director working in Hollywood right now. The man is fire. Hell Maelström was great too.

shira

He's not the GOAT, but he's definitely hot atm. JC is GOAT until someone beats Avatar.

DV makes films in a way that really resonates with people and you can tell he's like 5 steps ahead of the audience playing a game with you.

Not just Prisoners and Sicario. Add in Polytechnique, Incendies, Enemy and Arrival and you get the best goddamn director working in Hollywood right now. The man is fire. Hell Maelström was great too.

Marie-Josée Croze is bae

I hope Denis casts her again in one of his movies.

Hell. I think she would make a fantastic Lady Jessica. She's got the eyes and the power.

sidenote: you guys should watch the French film Ne le dis à personne. It is fantastic.

Villeneuve and Eggers are my favorite new directors (well new as in I only learned about them recently). The former doing Dune would be incredible. and the latter currently doing Nosferatu is just perfect

Oh, and Saulnier too. Lionsgate wanted him to direct the Sicario sequel, but he had to pass

I would agree, with Eggers leading the bunch.

Give it a few years. My point isn't that they're exactly the same as filmmakers, but more that they both started small and I see a gradual incline in scale and budget for both of them, and when a director starts getting more acclaim and more of a name for big budget sci-fi projects, that's when they become a go-to director to hate for many. Though, Villeneuve really feels like a better, smarter, slower Nolan to me, just only from a surface level.

Ricky_R

PSY・S;226994636 said:
Alrighty, Sicario and Prisoners first.

I would recommend Incendies first which is outstanding and it's the one that kinda put him on the map.

You can skip Enemy, btw.

Prisoners is ace and Sicario is awesome. Still haven't seen Arrival.

Ushay

Oh boy, Dune is about to get the recognition it deserves, if this pans out I cannot friggin wait for this movie.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Marie-Josée Croze is bae

Pardon my (Quebec) French but...est bae en tabarnac d'hostie. Une vraie bombe, de toe bords cte femme la. She should have been much bigger than she was. She's nearing 50 now and never had that one breakthrough role that she deserved.

Bolivar687

Banned
Heyyo I REALLY liked Sicario and Arrival but maybe we should wait for Blade Runner before we hail him as the prophesied director who would fulfill the promise of Dune on the big screen?

Also, everyone should try to see Arrival before it leaves theaters if you haven't already. You're just not going to get the same intense sense of dread that the movie pushes.

DirtyCase

On a side note, as a big fan of the Frank Herbert Dune novels I absolutely hated pretty much all of the Lynch Dune. Absolutely butchered the novel and weirdly made it about shouting his name into guns...

The two Dune mini series were a lot closer to the source material but were really a product of their time and budget. Children of Dune was a little better in this regard.

Pardon my (Quebec) French but...est bae en tabarnac d'hostie. Une vraie bombe, de toe bords cte femme la. She should have been much bigger than she was. She's nearing 50 now and never had that one breakthrough role that she deserved.

It's a goddamn shame. She won the Best Actress award at Cannes in 2003, over Nicole fucking Kidman, and yet she is still relegated to supporting roles in every movie she's in. I just don't understand. She must have an incredibly shitty agent.

Daingurse

Literally 7 minutes away from finishing my second listen of Dune on audiobook. This is this dude's dream? Sounds promising!

Simo

On a side note, as a big fan of the Frank Herbert Dune novels I absolutely hated pretty much all of the Lynch Dune. Absolutely butchered the novel and weirdly made it about shouting his name into guns...

The two Dune mini series were a lot closer to the source material but were really a product of their time and budget. Children of Dune was a little better in this regard.

Children of Dune's OST is terrific. I also like Lynch's Dune but then I've never read the book despite grabbing a nice hardcover edition from the UK about 10 years ago. Lpp

Fuck this shit. One mediocre movie does not suddenly make 9 great ones nonexistent. You guys are the worst sometimes.

I think Nolan has more middling ones than that but yeah it's laughable that people are already admitting they're willing to throw Villeneuve in the bushes after one bad movie.

oh wow much ahead you must be proud

Which of his films have you seen? i'll reserve judgement for the next 60 seconds
I was saying this in jest you doofus (though I do think he is enjoyable but certainly doesn't make 'good' movies). As for your question: All after 2009. Nothing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom