• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite the influx of young and female fans, the Yakuza series will keep being about middle-aged guys doing middle-aged guy things, according to devs

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
20240905-36546.jpg

Taking a definitive turn to the RPG genre with its latest two numbered entries, the Like a Dragon series has become a distinctly character-driven experience. Its wordy Party Chats, Table Talks and substories are what inject the Yakuza series and its characters with a distinct flavor – it’s not about youthfulness, treasure chests and heroic declarations, but about ordinary flesh-and-blood humans and their relatable lives and personalities.

Speaking to AUTOMATON about the series’ unique focus on “middle-aged guy things”, Like a Dragon series director Ryosuke Horii and lead planner Hirotaka Chiba humorously comment, “We are middle-aged guys ourselves… so I guess that’s the kind of target audience we’re going for, probably.”

However, this is exactly what makes the Yakuza series so compelling, as Horii puts it, “I think that this is precisely one of Like a Dragon’s selling points. In Yakuza: Like a Dragon, everything starts with three unemployed middle-aged guys being like “Let’s go to Hello Work.” They have a different air about them than a group of young heroes would, complaining about back pain and the like. But this “humanity” you feel from their age is what gives the game originality.”
The two creators compare the feeling of playing Yakuza games to “chilling out with older guys in a bar,” as opposed to “going on an exhausting drinking party with young people.” Horii adds that “The characters are flesh-and-blood human beings much like our players are, so their problems are relatable. That’s why it’s easy to really get into the game and feel like you’re listening to conversations between ordinary people. There isn’t any typical “game-like” language like “where is the treasure chest?”

This approach to the games’ writing can be felt right down to the smallest topics, as Chiba explains, “For example, there’s a conversation where Adachi is conflicted about whether he should drink beer or not because he’s worried about his uric acid level. We’re making the hearty talks of middle-aged dudes our identity, rather than youthfulness.”
20240905-36546-001.jpg

Despite how the Like a Dragon series continues to grow, with more younger and/or female players joining the playerbase, the devs do not intend to change the games’ topics. Commenting on the unexpected influx of female players, Horii says, “We have had a large increase in new fans, including women, which we’re truly happy and grateful for. However, we don’t plan to do anything like deliberately changing conversation topics in order to cater to new fans. That would make us unable to keep talking about things like uric acid levels… (laughs)”

“There’s a Party Chat (in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth) where Seonhee and Saeko’s girl talk gets hijacked by Nanba and ends up turning into guy talk. I think situations like this will keep on happening” Chiba adds jokingly.
At the end of the day, the success of the Like a Dragon games has less to do with being conscious of specific demographics or groups, but more to do with its creators pursuing the ideas they personally find entertaining – and that approach is here to stay. “Our policy as creators has not changed. We are very grateful for the recognition we have received from overseas fans and new, younger players, but we will not change our policy of creating games, which is based on our personal ideas of what’s fun,” Horii concludes.

Soodanim

"Despite an influx of recent investors that aren't made of polygons and LLMs, nVidia won't suddenly turn their trillion dollar business into one that sells lemonade."

In short: duh

Cyberpunkd

I mean why would you? Those fans came because they liked what it was/is. Why would you then change it?
Game companies:

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

I wonder if this is cultural? In JAV (a friend told me) they have for the vast majority middle-aged dudes with a belly, not stallions with 10”. The reason is quite similar: that is the audience that buys these products and they want this fantasy.

On the other hand it’s bizarre that despite knowing for decades Western societies are getting older still vast majority of entertainment is destined at teens and young adults.

Last edited:

nowhat

I remember when I first started to play Yakuza 7. A new protag, completely different combat system - intriguing, but at the same time unfamiliar and I wasn't quite sure I was feeling it.

And then I got to the part where Ichiban starts to rant about Dragon Quest, and ends up with "grinding at 40!". It was among the most relatable gaming experiences I've ever had.

Hudo

I wouldn't say no to a Yakuza spin-off set during high-school where you play a Yankee, beating up other Yankees from other schools in massive fights. Imagine a game like Bully but made by RGG and obviously set in Japan.

mdkirby

Game companies:

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

I wonder if this is cultural? In JAV (a friend told me) they have for the vast majority middle-aged dudes with a belly, not stallions with 10”. The reason is quite similar: that is the audience that buys these products and they want this fantasy.

On the other hand it’s bizarre that despite knowing for decades Western societies are getting older still vast majority of entertainment is destined at teens and young adults.
Yeah, I agree, like a very core principal of product design and marketing has always been “who is the audience for this product? how big is that audience? How much of that audience will my product appeal to? How much would they pay for it?” Etc, and based on that you determine if there is a market for what your making, how to market it to them, and how much you can justify spending on building it.

Right now, ideology in western development has grossly warped those core principles.

An analogy would be, I’m a metallurgist. I decide I want to make wall mounted battle axes. So, who are the target audience for wall mounted battle axes? I look into it, but decide eewww I don’t like those people, I ain’t gonna make it for them, I’ll just make something me and my close circle of friends will like, so I’m gonna make it bright pink, and covered in ponies. Now I’m only appealing to a tiny tiny slither of my potential audience, so I should probably be frugal and not spend much building these things. But instead I decide to hire Tesla to build me a gigafactory with the best robots for mass manufacture and spend hundreds of millions making pink pony covered battle axes.

Finally I’m finished. All my friends say how amazing I am, and how great they look.

I put them up for sale, and buy one myself to go over my mantle piece. A few friends buy them too, they don’t actually like it, they just did it to support me and it now lives in their attic. I have friends in media so they post a lot about it and say how wonderful and brave the designs are.

But nobody actually into wall mounted battle axes buys them.

This is an allegory for Concord and the state of AAA in general imo. They’ve just totally forgotten the fundamentals, and are just making things for themselves and their friends that they personally like….and wasting for the most part, mountains of other people’s money.

Edit: forgot to mention that the battle axe maker deep down knew he was just being narcissistic and making something for themselves, so didn’t want to spend their own money, so they found a gullible foreign investor and convinced them that most people who own castles actually love pink and ponies.

Last edited:

Elfstar

They're right. Western dimwitted feminist ally developer here would just go "better have a non-canonic beauty, butch ladyboss protagonist for the next game!!!" ignoring the simple fact that women enjoy the series for its extremely hot men fighting shirtless all the time.

Last edited:
One thing I love being in Japan, the whole woke shit is not spreading like a cancer here yet. Would yakuza be developed in America, you can be sure for every male protagonist, there is one woman (and a diverse unattractive one)..

One thing I love being in Japan, the whole woke shit is not spreading like a cancer here yet. Would yakuza be developed in America, you can be sure for every male protagonist, there is one woman (and a diverse unattractive one)..
It is starting to spread, though. Whether it succeeds or not, is on the whims of time.

NanaMiku

The only problem that I have with older characters is they're getting older fast in the sequels. Poor them lol. Ichiban is already 46 in Infinite Wealth. Is he gonna be 50 in Like a Dragon 9?

Toots

Gold Member
The two creators compare the feeling of playing Yakuza games to “chilling out with older guys in a bar,” as opposed to “going on an exhausting drinking party with young people.”
That's actually a great way to describe the series in comparison to battle royales.

Fortnite kids
Dance Dancing GIF

Yakuza man
Clint Eastwood Eating GIF by GritTV

Last edited:

StueyDuck

20240905-36546.jpg

20240905-36546-001.jpg

well, this may shock purple people, but those people are fans now because they like the original middle-aged guys doing middle-aged things.

Last edited:

notseqi

This is an allegory for Concord and the state of AAA in general imo. They’ve just totally forgotten the fundamentals, and are just making things for themselves and their friends that they personally like….and wasting for the most part, mountains of other people’s money.

Edit: forgot to mention that the battle axe maker deep down knew he was just being narcissistic and making something for themselves, so didn’t want to spend their own money, so they found a gullible foreign investor and convinced them that most people who own castles actually love pink and ponies.
It's bubbles all the way down.

(Good post, fam)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wouldn't say no to a Yakuza spin-off set during high-school where you play a Yankee, beating up other Yankees from other schools in massive fights. Imagine a game like Bully but made by RGG and obviously set in Japan.
Might want to check out the Kenka Bacho: Badass Rumble game for PSP.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, those of us who started gaming in the late 70's are getting up in years now. We've grown not just up, but old(er) with gaming.

Its a very different perspective when half your gaming life was pre-internet. When you remember when Nintendo was just another name on arcade attract screens, and arcade hardware generally was incredibly exotic and more powerful than anything "civilians" ever could get their hands on!

Its why the continued attempts to modernise TRON always seem so misguided to me; that was a story clearly concocted by people for whom videogaming was a new and novel concept, and extrapolated (both visually and conceptually) on what gaming was seen as back in the early 80's. A perspective that simply cannot be replicated because it simply stopped existing sometime in the mid-eighties as the technology advanced.

Sorry rambling post; guess that's what old folks do!

laynelane

At the end of the day, the success of the Like a Dragon games has less to do with being conscious of specific demographics or groups, but more to do with its creators pursuing the ideas they personally find entertaining – and that approach is here to stay.

It's amazing that this has to be said. It makes me think the devs have been questioned about changing the franchise to appeal to newer players. I'm so glad they're sticking with their tried and true approach - one that's made fans out of people all over the world and from all sorts of groups.

Comandr

For me, the age thing has very little to do with it. Yakuza 0, largely considered one of the best in the series, Kiryu is 20. Yakuza 7, Ichiban's introduction, he begins the game at age 24.

Both of these characters are extremely charming in their own right.

Kiryu with his dead serious attitude towards everything- no matter how ridiculous it is, he always takes it seriously and sincerely. There's no gap his fists of friendship can't bridge.

Ichiban with his infectious positivity and strong sense of justice. He always looks on the bright side; he's doing his best to bring up those around him, and won't hesitate to offer a hand to anyone, even the enemy. That radiance draws people to him.

I think more than anything, people are drawn to the characters and world of Yakuza rather than anything as superficial as their physical attributes.

I love that Kiryu still thinks and sings about Nishiki decades later. I love the ridiculous lens that Ichiban sees the world through. These games have such passion and joy in them, it's no wonder people of all types like them.

shamoomoo

East devs: "we're getting female, minority fans, it means they like what we already made so we'll keep doing it the same"
West devs: "we're getting female, minority fans, so we must change everything to suit their needs"

Huge difference mentality, one is logical, the other is idiotic.
Both statements are the same thing but the inverse of each other. Nothing can stay the same for ever and what's wrong with accommodating new fans?

Yeah,an idea or concept can't please everybody,but those things can change enough to account for newer people.

Doomtrain

This leads to an obvious thing the media and some developers seem to have forgotten: art doesn't need to be ABOUT you to appeal to you.

I love Metroid even though I'm a man and Samus is a woman. I don't want Nintendo to retcon Samus into being a man to "better suit my needs" or whatever. My "needs" in this case are to experience a work of fiction about a character I've enjoyed all my life. If I want to look at myself, I own a mirror.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You don't go knocking out the pillars of successful foundation.
Why poison the water well, this is something everyone seems to be doing and I don't understand it.
Good to hear the Yakuza Team thinks the same way.

Well, if it ain't broke.

That said, it'd be cool to see some single player dlc that appeals to that new demographic. Could be fun.

Top Bottom