• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Codenamed Frontiers Announced

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Then what did Sony say?

Sony has started carving large chunks out of Bungie in the wake of mass layoffs and overspending. Back office functions and future game projects have now moved under SIE, while Bungie itself will now work on Destiny 2 and Marathon only.

Totoki said that the purpose of the restructure is “cost restructure and portfolio optimization.” They also said that Bungie’s back office functions “should be integrated with the studio of SIE.”

Totoki further mentioned plans to concentrate Bungie’s head count and resources on Destiny 2 and live-service title Marathon. They said there would be “constant resources there.” However, “other title development” will instead move to PlayStation studios.

You've got a lot of comprehension issues here.

Do you know what back office functions are?

"other title development" meaning games currently in production not future games after Destiny 2 and Marathon.

Sony took everything that wasn't Destiny 2 and Marathon off Bungie's plate, that doesn't mean they're collapsing Bungie after those games are complete.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You've got a lot of comprehension issues here.

Do you know what back office functions are?

"other title development" meaning games currently in production not future games after Destiny 2 and Marathon.

Sony took everything that wasn't Destiny 2 and Marathon off Bungie's plate, that doesn't mean they're collapsing Bungie after those games are complete.
Dont argue with me, I'm not the one who wrote it. Argue with the Forbes quote.

Relax. Sony is getting hammered lately and youre always trying tour best to defend.

Last edited:
There was no D3, it wasn't even planned, they had some stupid spin-off genshin like hero game in the works that got cancelled.
I definitely remember some notable destiny leaker talking about destiny 3, years ago around the forsaken launch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is nothing wrong with the quote, the problem is with your comprehension.

Please quote where it says Marathon and Destiny 2 will be Bungie's final games.
Writing is on the wall. Big layoffs, admin/support functions go to SIE, future games go to SIE.

Destiny and Marathon left and that's it. $3.6B well spent.

Writing is on the wall. Big layoffs, admin/support functions go to SIE, future games go to SIE.

So your telling me if Marathon comes out and is a massive hit Sony will just close the studio anyways and let their massive successful new GAAS game just fail?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

So you admit it IS your comprehension and not a quote.

SIE also had major layoffs, does that mean SIE is going away and Sony will take over?

admin/support functions going to SIE is an obvious choice because why pay for the same functions twice?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So your telling me if Marathon comes out and is a massive hit Sony will just close the studio anyways and let their massive successful new GAAS game just fail?
Unless management does a 180 (which I said in a previous post), D2 and Marathon are their last games.

So you admit it IS your comprehension and not a quote.

SIE also had major layoffs, does that mean SIE is going away and Sony will take over?

admin/support functions going to SIE is an obvious choice because why pay for the same functions twice?
Relax man. In Sony threads you sure get hyper whenever someone brings up bad things about Sony.

Sony stripped away all games from Bungie except Destiny and Marathon. You just got to live with that.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Relax man. In Sony threads you sure get hyper whenever someone brings up bad things about Sony.

Sony stripped away all games from Bungie except Destiny and Marathon. You just got to live with that.

So if Bungie ever has another game release that isn't Destiny 2 or Marathon, you'll close your account?

tmlDan

I definitely remember some notable destiny leaker talking about destiny 3, years ago around the forsaken launch.
I think it was a consideration but they didn't go that direction, they should have tho.

The biggest hindrance for new players is the bloated content right now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So if Bungie ever has another game release that isn't Destiny 2 or Marathon, you'll close your account?
Why would I? For any time you've been wrong on this board have you closed your account?

A handful of Bungie posts and a couple articles I found on Google in 2 min got you red faced mad. Why would I miss all the fun?

By the way, if you want even bigger laughs join the Concord threads and watch any YT videos tearing it apart. Dont be a corporate defender, enjoy business failures. When my company screws up, many of us get a good laugh too how bad it sold and waste of money it was to do it. And when shit hits the fan, me and my department have to do extra work and cost analysis. And we work here and can still laugh about it. Only person who might be pissed is the marketing manager in charge of the brand.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Smells like a quickly thrown together press release to counter concords failure..

Wooxsvan

dead GIF

And the studio gutted 200-300 people, and lost another 50-ish to the new SIE studio. So they are going to crank all this out in less than two years with around 300 fewer people.
They have just as many people as they did when Sony acquired them, plus more of their work is being outsourced, so it's technically more. It was mostly the people working on other projects who got cut (along with some tenured people to steal their Sony shares. That part is mega fucked up.)

They should've maybe just called it Destiny 3 though? Like, the story wrapped up in the last expansion didn't it? Would've been a good time to start something new and rope in some new players. Heck I'd probably give Destiny 3 a try. I see more expansions for Destiny 2 and just think I'd be so far behind and so confused on everything that it's not worth bothering.

I had a great time with it, but I'm not coming back. The grind, the costly mtx/expansions, the gatekeeping of content you already bought, etc.
They just kept getting more greedy with every year giving you less and asking for more money.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
we'll see once more information comes out including screenshots and trailers. to me, Final Shape is a pretty good ending point and I feel the content had been decent overall. would any new things be good? who knows? but if it's interesting enough, I'll there for it.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Why would I? For any time you've been wrong on this board have you closed your account?

A handful of Bungie posts and a couple articles I found on Google in 2 min got you red faced mad. Why would I miss all the fun?

By the way, if you want even bigger laughs join the Concord threads and watch any YT videos tearing it apart. Dont be a corporate defender, enjoy business failures. When my company screws up, many of us get a good laugh too how bad it sold and waste of money it was to do it. And when shit hits the fan, me and my department have to do extra work and cost analysis. And we work here and can still laugh about it. Only person who might be pissed is the marketing manager in charge of the brand.

There are two types of situations when people are wrong.

One when they state something as a fact and it isn't a fact and the other is when they openly speculate about something and are clear that they are speculating.

I don't care about Concord, never did. I play exactly 0 online games, let alone GaaS games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are two types of situations when people are wrong.

One when they state something as a fact and it isn't a fact and the other is when they openly speculate about something and are clear that they are speculating.

I don't care about Concord, never did. I play exactly 0 online games, let alone GaaS games.
Dont blame me. I simply said what Forbes said. All future games go to SIE. If you want to spin that into your what if scenarios go ahead. As of right now, Bungie has Destiny and Marathon and nothing else. Not even their backend support functions. And about 400 employees lighter too since layoffs round 1 last year. Their current projects the next two years are Marathon and more Destiny content. Thats it.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Dont blame me. I simply said what Forbes said. All future games go to SIE. If you want to spin that into your what if scenarios go ahead. As of right now, Bungie has Destiny and Marathon and nothing else. Not even their backend support functions. And about 400 employees lighter too since layoffs round 1 last year. Their current projects the next two years are Marathon and more Destiny content. Thats it.

They never said that... see that's again your comprehension issue.

That's like saying Asobi is never putting out another game because they're not working on anything right now, it was only Astro Bot...

Why would they need to have more than two current projects to let you know that they have more future projects? How many games do they need to work on exactly?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They never said that... see that's again your comprehension issue.

That's like saying Asobi is never putting out another game because they're not working on anything right now, it was only Astro Bot...

Why would they need to have more than two current projects to let you know that they have more future projects? How many games do they need to work on exactly?
Then why would they state all other projects go to SIE if they are capped at two? They had more stuff on the go, got canned, SIE took over some employees to make a new studio and what they got left is Destiny and Marathon. Thats it.

You better hope Marathon and this new batch of D2 content does well because the trend lately is Bungie is halfway down the toilet. One more log and push of the handle and it all goes down the pipes for good. The better it does the longer they'll last. But end of day, their days are numbered.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Is ‘The place we’ve never been before’ a 90 minute quest followed by three months of doing a nonsense activity where you put glowing triangles in a box?

If so, we’ve been there.

A lot.

For about a decade.

We need a thread for when Sony will close Bungie. I am done with Bungie the moment they closed the knitting classes for their employees. I give Bungie 1 - 1 and a half more year until Sony closes them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Holy ****, this sounds incredibly smart. They're essentially going to be able to incubate new concepts while generating revenue from them.

Bungie knows what the f*** they're doing.

OuterLimits

Would a new player(or a lapsed player of several years) even be able to get into the game now? Or is the focus entirely on a shrinking number of the hardcore players?

simpatico

I mean this is one way to make sure Halo stays dead. You have to figure this is the real purpose behind buying Bungie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom