• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

X-Frame

And then I remember that Titan skating is gone:

giphy.gif

This is exactly why I'm desperate to play the beta. There are so many changes that the only way to know is to actually get my hands on it and see how it feels.

The lack of skating (or quick horitizonal burst movements) is my #1 biggest worry. The IGN videos looked great whereas the E3 build looked too slow. The IGN videos apparently being pre-movement speed nerfs.

I am very interested in seeing Titan GAF's thoughts in a few hours.

The lack of skating (or quick horitizonal burst movements) is my #1 biggest worry. The IGN videos looked great whereas the E3 build looked too slow. The IGN videos apparently being pre-movement speed nerfs.

I am very interested in seeing Titan GAF's thoughts in a few hours.

So, they buffed Catapult for the IGN/Beta build. But Bungie has already nerfed it back. So if it feels good today, remember that it won't be the same in September.

X-Frame

So, they buffed Catapult for the IGN/Beta build. But Bungie has already nerfed it back. So if it feels good today, remember that it won't be the same in September.

Oh man so I'm using old info then. Last I heard was Datto saying the IGN build was pre-nerf. But you're right now I see on reddit that IGN videos were newer builds.

But what do you mean Bungie already nerfed it back?

Oh man so I'm using old info then. Last I heard was Datto saying the IGN build was pre-nerf. But you're right now I see on reddit that IGN videos were newer builds.

But what do you mean Bungie already nerfed it back?

Sorry, Datto has it right. the IGN build and the Beta are buffed. But the full game release build coming in September has nerfed Catapult once again.

X-Frame

Sorry, Datto has it right. the IGN build and the Beta are buffed. But the full game release build coming in September has nerfed Catapult once again.

Well it does seem like Bungie can tweak the speeds relatively easily, so if there is enough of an outcry from this Beta, maybe we can have a compromise come September -- not as fast as D1 but not as slow as the Destiny Release gameplay.

Apparently in the Release gameplay horizontal boosting was no faster than running. That is silly to me. I'd be okay with no fast continuous skating if the Catapult was buffed to make quick one-burst movements short but fast. That is its whole point yet it never acted like that in Destiny 1.

Pre-Destiny release Catapult was even faster yet Bungie also tuned it down because they felt it was too strong. The end result was it was unrecognizable compared to Increased Control.

EDIT: Here is the Reddit thread that confirms the IGN build is newer than the E3 and the Destiny Release gameplay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6n4w7b/in_case_it_was_missed_the_game_builds_are_newer/?st=J59QK3ZI&sh=df7e7571

EDIT: Here is the Reddit thread that confirms the IGN build is newer than the E3 and the Destiny Release gameplay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6n4w7b/in_case_it_was_missed_the_game_builds_are_newer/?st=J59QK3ZI&sh=df7e7571

I saw that too, but I don't understand how a build being newer is confirmation that Titan skating is in.

To be honest, I never understood why people hated Titan skating so much. It was difficult to pull off well and made Titans fast, but certainly didn't make them agile. Having the worst melee in the game by a long shot, but having a decent ability to close distances was nice. It also gave Titans some character, when other classes had blink or shadesteps or hovers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And it's not like it was OP. Every week in Trials, Titans were by far the least picked class.

Anyway, I guess we'll play it like any other beta: "Nothing is final"

Ramirez

I saw that too, but I don't understand how a build being newer is confirmation that Titan skating is in.

To be honest, I never understood why people hated Titan skating so much. It was difficult to pull off well and made Titans fast, but certainly didn't make them agile. Having the worst melee in the game by a long shot, but having a decent ability to close distances was nice. It also gave Titans some character, when other classes had blink or shadesteps or hovers.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

And it's not like it was OP. Every week in Trials, Titans were by far the least picked class.

Probably a by design decision to slow the game down.

Probably a by design decision to slow the game down.

Given that average primary gun TTK has moved from D1's ~0.8 seconds to D2's ~1.2 seconds, I think you're probably right.

But that doesn't explain why the community seems to loathe it so much. My guess is that it's not an "official" method.

TF2 has a bunnyhop mechanic and it's similarly something that wasn't a design decision. The community was grousing about it and someone asked a dev if it was a deliberate decision to add it. Their reply? "Nope. It was a deliberate decision to leave it in, though."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks Hawk. As always, myself and everyone else here appreciate what you do for this community.

Edit: Just noticed we both have have bird user names. A few more, and we can have a full bird raid team! (Nerdy, but funny)
Bird raid. I can only hope! And thank you for that. It means a lot.

X-Frame

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed! Though I am biased since I played 90% Titan. Warlocks also now have Twilight Garrison air evades in the Dawn subclass. Plus Shoulder Charge is nerfed in damage and consumed a melee charge -- meaning if Shoulder Charge boosting is still capable, it will be on cooldown if actually connecting with an enemy. Therefore, Titans would actually try NOT to connect with enemies.

However, now melee range is all the same. We don't know if base melee speed is the same yet though.

I would be fine to compromise by keeping skating in but slowing it down a bit, making it still faster in a straight line compared to sprinting.

I'd also be okay with Catapult actually working as I assume Bungie intended, as a quick short-range burst of speed, that can't really be used for skating, but advantageous in quick directional movement changes. I recall Lars from Bungie saying Catapult was it's fastest pre-Destiny release but they nerfed it before the game came out because they felt it was too strong. The end result was it was just worse than Increased Control in every area.

Pretty excited. Never played Destiny. I'd join Discord, but I only have a Windows phone (sigh) and no laptop atm, so yeah. Don't even have a mic atm. I'll try to better myself come September.

Really looking forward to trying out the Crucuible for the first time.

Ramirez

Given that average primary gun TTK has moved from D1's ~0.8 seconds to D2's ~1.2 seconds, I think you're probably right.

But that doesn't explain why the community seems to loathe it so much. My guess is that it's not an "official" method.

TF2 has a bunnyhop mechanic and it's similarly something that wasn't a design decision. The community was grousing about it and someone asked a dev if it was a deliberate decision to add it. Their reply? "Nope. It was a deliberate decision to leave it in, though."

I imagine people loathe it because there's nothing fun about being on the end of a shotgun that someone closed the gap on you with using skating. I dunno, I didn't really ever research the ins and outs of skating. I just always found it frustrating how the game had all of these movement abilities, but the only weapons that you could use with them with consistency were 1HK weapons. I feel like if you could have jumped and shot accurately with any weapon in D1 then maybe people wouldn't have been so flustered by people constantly abusing blink/skate to shotgun them.

I imagine people loathe it because there's nothing fun about being on the end of a shotgun that someone closed the gap on you with using skating. I dunno, I didn't really ever research the ins and outs of skating. I just always found it frustrating how the game had all of these movement abilities, but the only weapons that you could use with them with consistency were 1HK weapons. I feel like if you could have jumped and shot accurately with any weapon in D1 then maybe people wouldn't have been so flustered by people constantly abusing blink/skate to shotgun them.
The number of times I was killed by a skating shotgun is dwarfed by the number of times it was a blink or simple slide though.

Curious how this will feel in general, I liked skating just to get around the map, even in pve.

(Why am I on gaf, time to start mashing x and choking the login server!)

Top Bottom