• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Dez_

I like Hunter jumps, so I'm still sticking to a Hunter. All the classes feel pretty fun to play. I'm enjoying the beta.

Have to wait and see if Nightstalker makes a return and how it does so. 'Slingers second path looks good for PvE as well though (GG can crit).

Hunters definitely do have less across-the-board utility though, with the class ability being a dodge (and one that has a heavy cooldown at that). I'd say that's where an adjustment needs to be made. Hunters need a class wide utility.

I also agree with, I think it was Ocean? That Hunter's dodge should still be available to use more regularly (like D1) but just without the Reload/Melee restoration when it's on cooldown.

As a Hunter, I shouldn't be the only one that benefits from my abilities. An easy fix would be to have my dodge reload or melee charge be given to nearby teammates.

Kyne

As a Hunter, I shouldn't be the only one that benefits from my abilities. An easy fix would be to have my dodge reload or melee charge be given to nearby teammates.

the real fix would be giving the Hunter an AOE invisibility skill (for your entire party) while holding down O.

alternative function would be giving a much longer duration for individual use.

I can't imagine the headache that would be to get it to work when a teammate is still firing. On top of that, it would be counterintuitive whenever an teammate has a perk that improves stability or dmg towards the end of the clip.

the real fix would be giving the Hunter an AOE invisibility skill (for your entire party) while holding down O.

alternative function would be giving a much longer duration for individual use.

I thought of this as well but I'm pretty sure Bungie wants to drop the invis entirely as it can trivialize PvE.

noomi

I really need to try the beta on PC, the pro version looks pretty awesome from the short time I spent with it, but 60fps and M+KB will feel so much nicer. Coming from a long binge of PC gaming, returning to PS4 again feels really off to me.

Hoping that they announce a solid pc beta date soon.

LiK

I think maybe they are trying to go esports with these changes. But you definitely have to speed up the game play if so. I get told by people all the time that Destiny's PVP is too slow and they are use to their Quakes and CS.

OW moves at blinding speed compared to Destiny PVP. I actually became better at Destiny PVP when I came back that year cuz it felt like slow motion lol

Trakan

This is some fan-made Vex DLC I saw on reddit but it's really impressive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6N_vg8o2hZwbU9DS0kzbGwxVXc/view

The PVE game tuning has changed pretty significantly since the Beta build was deployed. The nature of a Beta of this scale requires that it's based off a build of the game that is now months old. So, in many cases, your feedback is helping us validate changes that were previously made based on internal feedback and playtesting. For example, we too felt that ammo (especially power ammo) was too scarce in PvE. In addition to retuning the drop rates, we built a system that guarantees power ammo drops for you and your Fireteam from certain enemies, giving power weapons a more reliable and predictable role in your arsenal. Other areas where we've made significant tuning changes include grenade effectiveness in PvE, Boss vitality, and weapon damage against non-player combatants.

From the bungie weekly update. Why not say something beforehand? Why would they let the beta be such a bad experience, especially for people returning from D1? This leaves anything but a good impression.

daedalius

What in the world were they thinking with this freedom slots bullshit?

Worst change imo, sucks ass for pve, I guess it's fine for pvp, but I also think their current change is (lose special on death, etc)

I've played the strike a few times and invariably just end up using one of my primaries.

KillLaCam

Banned
From the bungie weekly update. Why not say something beforehand? Why would they let the beta be such a bad experience, especially for people returning from D1? This leaves anything but a good impression.

Yeah I wish they would atleast mention some of the changes so we can know

Been running into a lot of dicks from DGAF lately. Why would you wait until the boss on nightfall to kick someone unless you are purposely trying to be an immature asshole?

Hyun Sai

Is it possible they're just reacting to the beta feedback and will adjusting numbers accordingly acting like it was the plan all along ? Wouldn't surprise me one bit from them.

Ramirez

Yes but if it's an old, worse build they're not doing themselves any favors.

Because they need to actually test their servers, and preparing a beta build takes a while right in the middle of development. Getting the most current build to people isn't the goal here.

Which is why this whole experience plays out more like a glorified demo of different game modes rather than a real-time beta that is reflective of a current game build. I mean I guess they can still track stuff a bit (probably mostly backend technical/server stuff) but the idea that this is a "months old build" and changes have taken place, etc really just makes it nothing more than a demo of sorts but I'm happy to have played it anyways.

We all knew what we were getting (no leveling, no progression, no exploration, etc) but had we it would have felt much more meaningful from a "Beta" standpoint and actual data collecting even if the build was old which it would have been.

...and I get it, Bungie didn't want to make the same mistake this time by showing too much, blah, blah, blah...

ramyeon

Lol if you guys covering for Bungie are gonna pretend that this beta isn't intended by Bungie to be product advertising then omg
Of course it works in part as advertising, but the main goal of any beta is to stress test the servers and find any glaring issues with the game's framework.

Lol if you guys covering for Bungie are gonna pretend that this beta isn't intended by Bungie to be product advertising then omg

It never was anything more than advertising and a pre-order bonus...

It should have read "Pre-order Destiny 2 now and receive a demo to play the introductory story mission "Homecoming", the "Inverted Spire" strike, etc before the game officially ships on September 6.

ramyeon

It never was anything more than advertising and a pre-order bonus...

It should have read "Pre-order Destiny 2 now and receive a demo to play the introductory story mission "Homecoming", the "Inverted Spire" strike, etc before the game officially ships on September 6.
Except it's clearly not a demo because the game is still undergoing changes and this is an old build?

A demo would be a small slice of the game that is representative of the retail build i.e: Destiny 1 demo.

Except it's clearly not a demo because the game is still undergoing changes and this is an old build?

A demo would be a small slice of the game that is representative of the retail build i.e: Destiny 1 demo.

Umm, yet demos like this one have often been released way before official releases as teasers of sorts for a very long time now (in a lot of cases for a lot of different games demos are being re-purposed as, just as I said, Betas which are simply glorified demos featuring mostly irrelevant old builds as a "pre-order bonus"). Of course, changes are going to take place. There have also been pre-release demos and post-release demos.

The only thing that remotely makes anything about this experience a "beta" will be the 1-hour trip to The Farm. They had to include something for real-time stress testing to make players feel like they are a part of something happening in real-time.

Umm, yet demos like this one have often been released way before official releases as teasers of sorts for a very long time now (in a lot of cases for a lot of different games demos are being re-purposed as, just as I said, Betas which are simply glorified demos featuring mostly irrelevant old builds as a "pre-order bonus"). Of course, changes are going to take place. There have also been pre-release demos and post-release demos.

The only thing that remotely makes anything about this experience a "beta" will be the 1-hour trip to The Farm. They had to include something for real-time stress testing to make players feel like they are a part of something happening in real-time.

Nah. They had to test the initial servers for launch day loads and see what other bugs crop up once there are thousands of players doing things their internal teams never thought to do.

Of course, and that's mostly what The Farm field trip is for which is what I said.

No. The Farm test is mostly to see how those specific servers hold up since it's a shared space that holds more players than before as well as having more interactive elements than previous shared spaces.

I'm talking about launch day authentication servers, which have to be strong enough to stay up while basically being DDOS'd by players. And general bugsglitches that can pop up during normal play. Stuff like 8 people getting into a strike at once.

No. The Farm test is mostly to see how those specific servers hold up since it's a shared space that holds more players than before as well as having more interactive elements than previous shared spaces.

I'm talking about launch day authentication servers, which have to be strong enough to stay up while basically being DDOS'd by players. And general bugsglitches that can pop up during normal play. Stuff like 8 people getting into a strike at once.

On a "months old build" which who knows maybe Bungie was already aware of.

Again, I was thrilled to get to experience a hopefully very small slice of what is easily my most anticipated game for the foreseeable future however it still feels much more like a "pre-order bonus" demo (which most of these things feel like anyways these days) rather than any kind of meaningful real-time beta.

Edit: And while Destiny 2 will be a new game client, they at least have some idea of what the infrastructure needs and can/cannot handle but yes they can at least collect some info off of the backend/server technical stuff even in an old build which I've previously mentioned. At the end of the day from a player's perspective it just feels so incredibly basic to have one story mission and one strike and no social space or going between all of it while progressing a bit for something called a Beta.

PS4Pro or Xbox which one DestinyGaf ??

Help me!!!

I played the "Beta" on both of those (PS4 Pro and Xbox One S) and noticed zero difference visually or performance wise but my preference will always be with the Xbox Elite Controller and Live so my vote goes to Xbox.

I'll be playing on Xbox/PC.

Gritesh

I played the "Beta" on both of those (PS4 Pro and Xbox One S) and noticed zero difference but my preference will always be with the Xbox Elite Controller and Live so my vote goes to Xbox.

I'll be playing on Xbox/PC.

I played Destiny 1 on PS4 but my friends got it on Xbox, they are getting Destiny 2 on xbox but they have a tendency to trade in their games after 2 weeks of play time and I like to play them longer so I'm stuck.

Play with them for a bit and then alone or play alone anyways, but I always preferred Playstation

Just made a hilarious play in Countdown.

We're up 2 games and if we win the round, that's it. We're on offense.. so my team heads Grass and I run towards Rug and hang out in mid, to feel out where the enemy is covering. A Titan comes flying through the air towards me and goes Cap Titan. My energy weapon is a scout and he's way too close for me to try that, so I just turn around and book it. He's chasing me as I run in figure 8's at mid and I run headlong into two of their other guys near Rug. They should've had me dead to rights but one didn't see me (I guess) and the other jumped up and went for a Titan Smash which missed as I ran right under him at full sprint. I hunter dodge forward to take as little splash damage as possible and survive then duck back into mid. Cap Titan is still chasing so I just keep moving until I feel I have some space then turn around to confront him. His super runs out right as I pop him a couple times with my scout then we trade melees a couple times and he dies.

During all this time, my weaving through the other team must have distracted them as my teammates lit them up and killed them, just before I killed Cap Titan and we take the win. I couldn't stop laughing until I loaded fully back into the Director.

alt27

Ive enjoyed the beta but had some gripes which are getting or should be easy to address, like the PVE stuff they mentioned in the TWAB today. I hope they address the super and ability recharge stuff as well. Im sure they will.

Gunplay feels crisp as ever, I love the longer time to kills in crucible, the story mission got me hyped for the campaign being actually decent, and the strike was fun.

My biggest gripe is something that wont be changed. 4v4 only in crucible. Once the game launches and everyone is geared up with their OP weapons and builds, formed their teams, theirs not going to be a proper casual playlist. The stomping is going to get silly.

I get destiny is a co op game and I have done hundreds of raids and put hundreds and hundreds of hours into the crucible (in teams and solo), but if your just popping on for an hour or two and decide to play Iron banner in destiny 2 or whatever, the lone wolfs are going to get wrecked in 4s. You have a chance with 6s at least. I dont want to have to mic up and form a team just to sit back and relax.

Having a solo queue only mode would help but I cant see them doing this.

I really think their stats will show a massive drop off for casual crucible players (compared to D1) once the honeymoon period is over.

giphy.gif

Ouch!

https://youtu.be/5kt6oznAHCI

Nodnol

Does anyone know when the Open Beta is available to download? A few friends are eager to see what all the fuss is about (they missed the Destiny 1 hype train).

Top Bottom