• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: The Fall |OT| No one asked for this.[Out on Steam April 19th]

Cystm

iZPU7lpxrflGm.png

[URL="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenix.dxm"][/URL]
iDZsDnvd3V3pP.png

iOGZCnwkOpcOA.png

GAF Reviews

-I beat it on an Ipad 4 100% stealth and really liked it. I'm a sucker for the universe and I had already read the book that the game kinda wraps itself around so I enjoyed it on a story level.

-The gameplay was fine for me because I am 100% stealth for like in DX games and will never stray from that. The AI is pretty forgiving which can be helpful with the touch controls.

-Visually, apart from some less than stellar character models, the game looks incredible. The retina display really brings some of the environments to life. Performance felt like it was consistently over 30 fps and it definitely hit 60 in some areas.

-The only thing that pissed me off was missing the side quests achievement. I played super thoroughly so I don't know how I didn't do them all.

I played through the game a couple of days ago on my ipad 4. The first person controls are excellent for an iOS game. Great invisible twin sticks, interactive buttons and a smart tap to cover system allows a stealth stalking experience that is similar to what you got in Human Revolution. First person shooting controls are a mess ofc, but that is not how I play this type of game. Precision aiming is not necessary in a slow, deliberate stealth game with satisfying instant takedowns.

I think some reviews have criticised the hub world unfairly. You get a slightly smaller hub compared with Detroit or Hengsha, but it is still plenty of locked doors and secrets to keep you interested. Even some fun optional stealth challenges such as knocking out the gangster guard detail in the slums. I think the hub may feel smaller due to being divided in a couple of separate "areas" for hardware reasons, but that was not an issue for me.

A great feature as an obsessive stealth gamer is the opportunity to explore all the mission areas and solve their challenges before you start the actual "missions". I was reminded of how great it felt to infiltrate and stack up bodies in Derelict Row before you had any reason to be there in Human Revolution. Good stuff.

The user interface is fantastic, including the awesome note/e-mail reading experience that fits perfectly on an ipad.

Overall on of the best games I have played on my ipad. It successfully translates the experience of the GOTY 2011 to the ipad. I was disappointed when they offered this instead of news of a real deus ex sequel, but in the end I enjoyed the game much more than I imagined I would. The worst thing you can say about it is that it is derivative of HR and does not improve much about the original game.

Great game. I thought it captured the DE:HR feel really well, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I put a few hours into this last week while traveling.

I came into the game as a huge DX:HR fan, but as someone who has extremely limited experience (or interest) in mobile gaming.

The controls are far less than ideal (although the ability to completely customize the HUD is nice) and the game is pretty buggy -- it crashed on my iPhone 4S relatively frequently. The game itself definitely feels less 'epic' than HR in a variety of ways.

That said, it does a pretty amazing job of cramming the DX:HR experience into a mobile title. And even with the problems I listed above, I'm looking forward to next week's work trip to dig back in again. I found it a great way to kill hours in the air. Well worth the $8 or whatever it was.
I played it some more on the plane yesterday. Honestly, despite its various limitations and shortcomings, I would definitely recommend it to people who enjoyed DX:HR.

Finished this today. Firstly, it is the best mobile version of a big-boy game that I've played (Rayman is fantastic but it cheats a bit by making it a pseudo-runner). It pretty much IS the Deus Ex:HR experience (and I'm as big of an HR fan as you'll find), though it is greatly simplified with brain-dead AI, much smaller rooms, much more obvious alternate paths, and much less complex combat puzzles. I finished the game without killing anyone with little effort and I barely used any of the tools at my disposal (plus I had 10,000 yen with my only purchases being a few EMP grenades). Also weird is that it kicks you into new game plus despite it clearly just being part one of a multi-part adventure. And that Gamecenter achievements don't track properly when you're offline (I played most of it on a plane). Anyway, it's highly recommended, it looks good, it plays as well as it can on mobile, and it's a solid length. Plus to micro transactions are even remotely needed! P.S. The nods to Milton (Office Space) and Final Fantasy 27 reclaiming its GOTY spot (after the series was given BACK to Japanese developers) were appreciated :)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
What's the soundtrack like? Is it original music, or was it taken from HR?

Sendou

I like how they have the quote "Looks stunning" in middle of game footage. Did they have a lack of comments praising gameplay?

Fergie

Banned
Bought it recently for my Deus Ex fix. It's pretty decent, only played like 20mins overall so not enough to form a proper opinion but the controls are pretty good, same with graphics.

To expand its probably better on iPad, a bit difficult when most of the screen is taken over in iPhone 5.

Cystm

Are there reviews? I'm always wary of dropping $7 for an iPhone game I might only play a few times.

It looks nice enough I guess, has a decent story, but has touch screen controls. You are basically forced to play stealthy or face frustrating controls that are simply not responsive enough to take enemies on directly - even though the enemies are brain dead.

E: Actually...

ibbAbFjPuLr9yL.jpg

With mobile games the future is now!

It does look better in motion, and the cityscapes look great on iOS.

Does it have any of the explorative depth of Human Revolution? The freedom to wander around hubs that feel like real places is a core part of the appeal of Deus Ex games.

Goli

It really bothers me how the models for all important characters are really good while the rest are terrible.

Eusis

I assume the Nexus 7 can handle this just fine. I think I'll grab it for that when it hits android.
Or on Vita if it hits PSM.

Goli

By the way, why did you make an OT for this considering it's been out for a while now, Cystm? I imagine everyone who was interested in it already played it.
At any rate, I started it and completed the first few main quests and some side quests but then life and other games got in the way and I kinda forgot about it, might as well try to finish it now.

Eusis

By the way, why did you make an OT for this considering it's been out for a while now, Cytus? I imagine everyone who was interested in it already played it.
At any rate, I started it and completed the first few main quests and some side quests but then life and other games got in the way and I kinda forgot about it, might as well try to finish it now.
I actually kinda hoped it was to coincide with the Android launch, but nope. Just a random OT.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
-I beat it on an Ipad 4 100% stealth and really liked it. I'm a sucker for the universe and I had already read the book that the game kinda wraps itself around so I enjoyed it on a story level.

-The gameplay was fine for me because I am 100% stealth for like in DX games and will never stray from that. The AI is pretty forgiving which can be helpful with the touch controls.

-Visually, apart from some less than stellar character models, the game looks incredible. The retina display really brings some of the environments to life. Performance felt like it was consistently over 30 fps and it definitely hit 60 in some areas.

-The only thing that pissed me off was missing the side quests achievement. I played super thoroughly so I don't know how I didn't do them all.

Cystm

By the way, why did you make an OT for this considering it's been out for a while now, Cystm? I imagine everyone who was interested in it already played it.

Because it flew completely under most peoples radar, and while I am not really impressed with the game, I can see people being interested in it that simply did not know it was out. Or that it was even a thing that existed.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Late OT? This would've have been amazing on 3DS and Vita. Eidos Montreal has lost all my respect.

Cystm

Late OT? This would've have been amazing on 3DS and Vita. Eidos Montreal has lost all my respect.

If mods want to lock it down, it's fine by me. I just thought some people might want to discuss it, despite it's release flying under most people's radars.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If mods want to lock it down, it's fine by me. I just thought some people might want to discuss it, despite it's release flying under most people's radars.

I just assumed the lack of an OT meant people were more interested in crying about the platform or being dismissive of it and judging by the thread so far, my expectation has been met.

d00d3n

I played through the game a couple of days ago on my ipad 4. The first person controls are excellent for an iOS game. Great invisible twin sticks, interactive buttons and a smart tap to cover system allows a stealth stalking experience that is similar to what you got in Human Revolution. First person shooting controls are a mess ofc, but that is not how I play this type of game. Precision aiming is not necessary in a slow, deliberate stealth game with satisfying instant takedowns.

I think some reviews have criticised the hub world unfairly. You get a slightly smaller hub compared with Detroit or Hengsha, but it is still plenty of locked doors and secrets to keep you interested. Even some fun optional stealth challenges such as knocking out the gangster guard detail in the slums. I think the hub may feel smaller due to being divided in a couple of separate "areas" for hardware reasons, but that was not an issue for me.

A great feature as an obsessive stealth gamer is the opportunity to explore all the mission areas and solve their challenges before you start the actual "missions". I was reminded of how great it felt to infiltrate and stack up bodies in Derelict Row before you had any reason to be there in Human Revolution. Good stuff.

The user interface is fantastic, including the awesome note/e-mail reading experience that fits perfectly on an ipad.

Overall on of the best games I have played on my ipad. It successfully translates the experience of the GOTY 2011 to the ipad. I was disappointed when they offered this instead of news of a real deus ex sequel, but in the end I enjoyed the game much more than I imagined I would. The worst thing you can say about it is that it is derivative of HR and does not improve much about the original game.

Portugeezer

It looks nice enough I guess, has a decent story, but has touch screen controls. You are basically forced to play stealthy or face frustrating controls that are simply not responsive enough to take enemies on directly - even though the enemies are brain dead.

ibbAbFjPuLr9yL.jpg

I never asked for this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, I'm not criticizing. Just struck me as odd. I guess that iOS gamers might enjoy a taste of DX:HR on iPads, but I couldn't be more disappointed.

Just here to let you know that I #died when I read the title.

I'm not ever touching this mobile cash-grab garbage.

Nice OT though, looks good.

antitrop

I just assumed the lack of an OT meant people were more interested in crying about the platform or being dismissive of it and judging by the thread so far, my expectation has been met.
Only having an iPhone 5 and no iPad means I have be a bit more careful about my iOS purchases.

These larger games made for iPads that still work on iPhones are kind of worth it for cheap, even if they play like shit. KOTOR, etc.

ibbAbFjPuLr9yL.jpg

Reminds me of Morrowind.

Been playing for a couple hours...

The Good - Deus Ex HR look, feel and sounds. It's the universe. Graphics actually look great in motion. Full featured in terms of weapons/add ons, etc.

The Bad - Virtual sticks. It's soooooo frustrating to control. Ugh. Also, the tutorial. Every five seconds for the first 20 minutes you have to stop mid activity to go through tutorial. I get that it needs to happen but every time you start feeling in the flow of the game it's pause-stop-wall of text

All in, the iOS stuff is improving. This and Xcom are getting there. But, not there yet. I'll continue playing it, but my goodness do I still hate iOS virtual stick control. Grrrrr.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Been playing for a couple hours...

The Good - Deus Ex HR look, feel and sounds. It's the universe. Graphics actually look great in motion. Full featured in terms of weapons/add ons, etc.

The Bad - Virtual sticks. It's soooooo frustrating to control. Ugh. Also, the tutorial. Every five seconds for the first 20 minutes you have to stop mid activity to go through tutorial. I get that it needs to happen but every time you start feeling in the flow of the game it's pause-stop-wall of text

All in, the iOS stuff is improving. This and Xcom are getting there. But, not there yet. I'll continue playing it, but my goodness do I still hate iOS virtual stick control. Grrrrr.

I hope that by the time the follow up comes out (Australia hypeeee) that the Apple controller api is supported as a standard.

It's Deus Ex, so I'll play it some point one way or another. I grew to like Invisible War, so this shouldn't be difficult to appreciate either. I'll take anything I can get from the Deus Ex universe until Eidos does the right thing and gives us a direct sequel to Human Revolution and makes Jensen the playable character once again instead of some cheap knockoff clone baby.

lucius

I just bought it, I can't remember last time I bought an iOS game over $5 but it seems good from so far from what I have seen and the console versions where top notch. Universal app this quality for $7 isn't really bad

SJRB

Gold Member
So McCann did an original score for this game? That's HUGE.

Why the hell is it not on iTunes?

Goli

I just finished it. It was fun but a bit too short and I feel like I didn't get invested enough to really care about it all so I deleted it. Presentation wise the game was top notch, but I'd rather they had put the whole story at once since I didn't feel like waiting to find out what happens after the "ending" and maybe that would have made me feel more invested.

Ntsouls

Banned
I suppose if iphhone gets controllers.
But then again. It's sad.
This could have been released with the directors cut.

I posted my "review" in the other thread yesterday after beating it on a 100% stealth run. Feel free to add any choice quotes to the OP.

Finished this today.

Firstly, it is the best mobile version of a big-boy game that I've played (Rayman is fantastic but it cheats a bit by making it a pseudo-runner). It pretty much IS the Deus Ex:HR experience (and I'm as big of an HR fan as you'll find), though it is greatly simplified with brain-dead AI, much smaller rooms, much more obvious alternate paths, and much less complex combat puzzles. I finished the game without killing anyone with little effort and I barely used any of the tools at my disposal (plus I had 10,000 yen with my only purchases being a few EMP grenades).

Also weird is that it kicks you into new game plus despite it clearly just being part one of a multi-part adventure. And that Gamecenter achievements don't track properly when you're offline (I played most of it on a plane).

Anyway, it's highly recommended, it looks good, it plays as well as it can on mobile, and it's a solid length. Plus to micro transactions are even remotely needed!

P.S. The nods to Milton (Office Space) and Final Fantasy 27 reclaiming its GOTY spot (after the series was given BACK to Japanese developers) were appreciated :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Square Enix felt that this would fare better in the mobile market rather than Vita and 3DS. The game probably suffered from that.

I've still yet to play it, but I can't help but to feel that this could've been better.

Goli

I feel like Square Enix felt that this would fare better in the mobile market rather than Vita and 3DS. The game probably suffered from that.

I've still yet to play it, but I can't help but to feel that this could've been better.
It probably would have bombed on both platforms.

Goli

How is this not a complete game? And what needs to be cleaned up?
The developers have already said the story of The Fall will continue, the game is basically being released in an "episodic" format, so I guess he means that rather than them releasing it in that manner it'd be better if they had released all episodes at once, which I think would have been better too, even if that meant selling the game at a higher price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The developers have already said the story of The Fall will continue, the game is basically being released in an "episodic" format, so I guess he means that rather than them releasing it in that manner it'd be better if they had released all episodes at once, which I think would have been better too, even if that meant selling the game at a higher price.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, but the one currently released is pretty damn complete apart from the like one plot thread setting up the next area. I was kinda surprised and pleased when that message came up.

I doubt they would release it any differently on Vita though.

Top Bottom