• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: The Fall |OT| No one asked for this.[Out on Steam April 19th]

I posted the following in the other thread too... My impressions are quite positive overall for what it is.

I put a few hours into this last week while traveling.

I came into the game as a huge DX:HR fan, but as someone who has extremely limited experience (or interest) in mobile gaming.

The controls are far less than ideal (although the ability to completely customize the HUD is nice) and the game is pretty buggy -- it crashed on my iPhone 4S relatively frequently. The game itself definitely feels less 'epic' than HR in a variety of ways.

That said, it does a pretty amazing job of cramming the DX:HR experience into a mobile title. And even with the problems I listed above, I'm looking forward to next week's work trip to dig back in again. I found it a great way to kill hours in the air. Well worth the $8 or whatever it was.
I played it some more on the plane yesterday. Honestly, despite its various limitations and shortcomings, I would definitely recommend it to people who enjoyed DX:HR.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why? If you think a Western Dev like Eidos is going to make a non-shovelware game for a dedicated handheld, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's sad that we got to the point that what you say actually makes sense.

PFD

Great game. I thought it captured the DE:HR feel really well, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

How is this not a complete game? And what needs to be cleaned up?

A Vita version would presumably be higher-priced, which means it would have all planned episodes, including Australia and whatever comes next. The Fall has maybe 1/6 the content of HR, which makes sense considering the price. A $40 Vita game would presumably have 3-4 times the content.

Cleaned up would be the horrible AI, removal of technical shortcuts to get the game running on iOS (animation really suffers coming from HR), elimination of loading screens, progression speed, removal of pay to win options, proper controls (naturally), and better cutscenes.

Nobody asked for this because they're too busy asking for dumb shit like a FFVII remake or Call of Duty on Vita. People don't always know what's best for them, this is a great mobile version of deus ex and its not like they 'stole' it from another platform.

Eusis

Nobody asked for this because they're too busy asking for dumb shit like a FFVII remake or Call of Duty on Vita. People don't always know what's best for them, this is a great mobile version of deus ex and its not like they 'stole' it from another platform.
I honestly feel more often it's that they forget there may be a more suitable platform and at least keep it in a suite of platforms to hit, I don't imagine Sony rejecting this anyway. Though they probably did lack the man power and/or budget given the android version is still TBD.

Card Boy

Banned
So much salt in this thread. I'm hoping for a PC release with

• DX11 graphics like Human Revolution
  • Better AI
  • Mouse keyboard+Gamepad controls
  • More lively world
  • More/improved story
I think could be improved alot and could be something in the vain of Gunslinger/Blood Dragon.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm out of my league talking about portable games, I totally forgot about this game. If you have more examples, please do post them hehe.

The only other examples that come to mind are Disney Planes, Disney Infinity, and Scribblenauts DC. To be honest though, I got my 3DS for the Japanese games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A Vita version would presumably be higher-priced, which means it would have all planned episodes, including Australia and whatever comes next. The Fall has maybe 1/6 the content of HR, which makes sense considering the price. A $40 Vita game would presumably have 3-4 times the content.

Cleaned up would be the horrible AI, removal of technical shortcuts to get the game running on iOS (animation really suffers coming from HR), elimination of loading screens, progression speed, removal of pay to win options, proper controls (naturally), and better cutscenes.
Is the Vita actually stronger than the ipda 4 on a technical level? Because some of the environments looked goddamn insane on the retina screen at a retina resolution and 30+ fps.

Eusis

The only other examples that come to mind are Disney Planes, Disney Infinity, and Scribblenauts DC. To be honest though, I got my 3DS for the Japanese games.
This is admittedly my situation too, though I'll check out at least some of Wayforward's games, and am looking forward to the 3DS Batman: Arkham Origin. Plus on the DD front there's a decent number of indie games, it seems to me half the problem is that publishers frequently don't care to take on these games in the US unlike Japan (the other half being quite often they ARE kinda crappy, though going smaller and DD might help them out versus dealing with a big publisher.)
Is the Vita actually stronger than the ipda 4 on a technical level? Because some of the environments looked goddamn insane on the retina screen at a retina resolution and 30+ fps.
Even if it isn't it IS at a much lower resolution.

Honestly it's shafting the Vita that bugs me more than the 3DS, Vita's much closer to smartphones and tablets in power whereas the 3DS, while having similar hardware, is more like a DS++ and maybe comparable to earlier iPhones, though that's half gut reaction and half the resolution. But then Vita's sort of caught in a chicken/egg scenario: smaller user base because there's not much to play, but you won't get that userbase without more to play.

... Well, we're talking about ports from iOS/android, not paring down big console games, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable to me to be more miffed here than, say, Wii U getting shafted on PS4/XB1 games.

stn

This needs to be made into some kind of expansion for 360/PS3/PC. I'd buy it in an instant, and so would many others according to DX: HR's sales.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This needs to be made into some kind of expansion for 360/PS3/PC. I'd buy it in an instant, and so would many others according to DX: HR's sales.

I would too, but that didn't stop me from swiping my GFs ipad for a couple days to power through it. 7$ was low enough that I didn't care what it ended up being.

Neiteio

Day One if it has Letitia.

letitia-head.jpg

WELL SHIEEEEET, CAP'N.

The details page in the app store used to say "iPad 2 and iPhone 4 support coming soon!" but now it just says "iPad 2 support coming soon!", I was pumped to play this on my phone, sad to see they dropped it...

Cystm

I added a bunch of your reviews to the OP. Seems like the general consensus is: Nailed DX look and overall atmosphere, but the controls are holding the game back.

I wonder if we will ever see this game available via steam or console digital distribution?

Cystm

New updates being added into the Steam release:

• Full Mouse & Keyboard control scheme (please note keyboard bindings are not configurable)
  • Microsoft Controller support
  • 28 Steam achievements
  • Steam Trading Cards and Badges
  • Adjusted Artificial Intelligence
  • Revised game tutorial
  • Removal of auto-target options
  • Revised aiming reticule
  • Removal of in-game purchase options, with rebalanced game economy
  • Revised cover options - now matches Deus Ex: Human Revolution (HOLD or Toggle)
  • Resolution, Anti-Aliaising and Vertical Sync options

Top Bottom