• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

graywolf323 said:
the review was pretty much this is a great game but buy it for DS instead and then the reviewer gave it a much lower score than it deserved solely because the reviewer didn't think it should be on 3DS?

I'm sorry some of us don't think it's a ripoff to get more content and voiceovers
I really don't see how anyone could recommend the DS version to someone who both owns a 3DS and is interested in this game. The voice acting is surprisingly good, that alone would justify the extra five or ten bucks for me. I said this earlier, but it's going to kind of suck when the sequel to this comes out, I'll feel pretty ripped off if I buy it and they do another Overclocked version.

I'm nearing the end of the first day and really, really liking it. All of the games systems seem really cool. The only real complaint I have so far is that there's not very many demons at the auction, and all of the cool-looking ones I can fuse cost way more money than I have to make. I'm sure that'll stop being an issue soon enough though.

Am I right in thinking that I can't get duplicates of skills so that two of my human characters can equip them at the same time? It's sort of strange how the skills work with the human characters, one character learns a skill, but then they can transfer it to any other human character, but only one character can have a given skill equipped at a time.

Another thing I'm wondering is how important the star ratings are. If there's a demon I want, should I always wait until there's a five star one, or are three and four good enough? Also, do the stars factor into fusing at all?

Obsessed said:
Well... I imagine it must have taken a lot of careful planning along with choosing the easiest route.
Getting MC to lv 26 by the end of day 3 is very important since Might Call and Double Up let you kill the boss very quickly. I've just gotten into day 4.

I've noticed that there are a couple of main story missions you can grind on infinite respawns with, so it might not be that foolproof of an achievement after all, assuming you can keep your party alive long enough to take advantage of it.

mjemirzian said:
Getting MC to lv 26 by the end of day 3 is very important since Might Call and Double Up let you kill the boss very quickly. I've just gotten into day 4.

I've noticed that there are a couple of main story missions you can grind on infinite respawns with, so it might not be that foolproof of an achievement after all, assuming you can keep your party alive long enough to take advantage of it.
Physical attacks must gradually become more useless I guess. Everyone's been saying magic is the way to go, but my Artsuro and one of his demons both have Anger Hit, and combined with the Auto-Skill that makes Physical attacks always hit, they mop shit up.

I'm only about halfway through the 2nd Day though.

dr3upmushroom said:
Physical attacks must gradually become more useless I guess. Everyone's been saying magic is the way to go, but my Artsuro and one of his demons both have Anger Hit, and combined with the Auto-Skill that makes Physical attacks always hit, they mop shit up.

The reason why Magic>Phys in this game is because a Magic MC build allows you to swap out any element needed for any situation, whereas if you run into Phys-Resistant enemies, your MC is dead weight unless you have Pierce - but in that case Atsuro/Other Phys-focused party members get screwed then.

Ri'Orius

Alright GAF, help me decide.

Option A: Buy the original Devil Survivor for the DS now.
Option B: Hold off on getting a 3DS until there are more games/there's a hardware revision, then get a 3DS and Devil Survivor: Overclocked.
Option C: Throw caution to the wind and get a 3DS and Overclocked now.

I'm leaning more towards A at the moment. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs (especially FFT), and enjoyed P3P, so this game seems right up my alley. Is this "Day 8" thing worth the wait and/or the early 3DS purchase? I'm not too concerned about the difficulty...

onlyindreams said:
Is the choice of picking
Yuzu's route clearly presented
? Like, when do I need to start worrying about that?

If you want to get someone's specific route, talk with that person often when you're given the option and choose favorable responses. When the paths diverge late in the story, you are given texts from each person who's routes you qualify for and then you choose to respond to one person and then you take their path.

Btw, for anyone playing the game, I recommend Amane's route because you after that you are able to fuse Metatron at the end (but you need to complete someone else's route like Naoya to get one of the demons to fuse him.) Metatron is good if you plan to take on the optional boss on NG+.

Ri'Orius said:

Option B: Hold off on getting a 3DS until there are more games/there's a hardware revision, then get a 3DS and Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

I'm leaning more towards A at the moment. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs (especially FFT), and enjoyed P3P, so this game seems right up my alley. Is this "Day 8" thing worth the wait and/or the early 3DS purchase? I'm not too concerned about the difficulty...
You may not be able to find this game in the future, so B is a pretty iffy choice.

Bel Marduk said:
Btw, for anyone playing the game, I recommend Amane's route because you after that you are able to fuse Metatron at the end (but you need to complete someone else's route like Naoya to get one of the demons to fuse him.) Metatron is good if you plan to take on the optional boss on NG+.

Metatron was the best demon in the game for me. Just make sure one of the fusion materials has a trait that helps mitigate ALL elemental damage types.

dr3upmushroom said:

By endgame/midgame almost all the demons resist/null/reflect physical damage, and there is only ONE skill that lets you get past resist/null (so if they reflect it you are still fucked). So you only should have one physical attacker.

Also enemies late game like to spam a spell that reflects physical attacks.

Pureauthor said:
The reason why Magic>Phys in this game is because a Magic MC build allows you to swap out any element needed for any situation, whereas if you run into Phys-Resistant enemies, your MC is dead weight unless you have Pierce - but in that case Atsuro/Other Phys-focused party members get screwed then.

Well, that's why I made my MC Phys-oriented and then completely ignored all the other Phys-oriented characters in favor of the strongest magic users. :p

Ri'Orius said:

Why don't you buy the 3DS version of the game now, but wait for more games you want to come out before buying the system? If you're willing to wait anyway, I don't see how it makes any difference. Like others have said, the game is very likely going to be a limited run kind of thing, and even though I haven't played the original, I'd say that the quality of it is worth the $10 difference easy.

dr3upmushroom said:

Magic is the best MC build, but double up is useful even if you're a caster. It's good for nuking bosses.

Anyway, I'm on day 6 with no free battles. Haven't tried grinding on infinitely spawning enemies during the main story. It's been fairly easy so far, and I'm far from a SMT expert.

AColdDay

Alright, I just started this game, and I'm on the 1st day. I'm curious how characters gain new skills.

So Yuzu has Dia, which I'm guessing she got from her starting demon Pixie, but how does she get another skill? Is it a level thing, where once I hit level 10 or something she will get another skill I can assign her?

Kazerei

Banned
jred250 said:
Alright, I just started this game, and I'm on the 1st day. I'm curious how characters gain new skills.

So Yuzu has Dia, which I'm guessing she got from her starting demon Pixie, but how does she get another skill? Is it a level thing, where once I hit level 10 or something she will get another skill I can assign her?

Humans gain new skills by skill cracking. You'll learn about it during day 1.

Demons gain new skills by level up and by skill set bonus. Skills are also passed down via fusion.

If you look at a demon's skill list, there may be a few that are greyed out. Those are skills it can learn by leveling up.

If you fill the magnetite meter during battle, you can teach one of your demons a human-known skill.

mjemirzian said:
Magic is the best MC build, but double up is useful even if you're a caster. It's good for nuking bosses.

Anyway, I'm on day 6 with no free battles. Haven't tried grinding on infinitely spawning enemies during the main story. It's been fairly easy so far, and I'm far from a SMT expert.

i think it's a fairly easy game, too. the mechanics are explained pretty clearly, & the revised compendium makes doing fusions very straight-forward. it's easily the smt noob friendliest of'm all...

mjemirzian said:

lol, wait till day 3. From there the difficulty picks up.

Kazerei

Banned
So has anyone finished day 8 yet? What's it like? I'm at
day 7 of Yuzu's route, grinding up before the final battle. Everything was going smoothly until the difficulty spike. I barely managed to get through the previous fight, 'cause I'm pretty underleveled (high 40s, low 50s). But if I get MC's level a bit higher and fuse better demons, hopefully I'll be fine.

sfried

Still very early in the game. Doing it on Easy Mode.

Wendigo
was a pain in the ass but I whooped it just before he could
get away. Is it possible he could escape?

Also Skill Cracked all of the assigned enemies for that battle. Yet I still feel like an incompetent for choosing Easy Mode.

Don't have an issue at all with the voice actors. Sounds just as I would expect.

Cheska

I think I'm a bit confused about what I'm supposed to do. Which events am I supposed to go for? It seems like there's a battle every time in Shibuya, as well as those "clock" events or whatever. Just don't want to get too far before realizing I've been making some bad choices.

Cheska said:
I think I'm a bit confused about what I'm supposed to do. Which events am I supposed to go for? It seems like there's a battle every time in Shibuya, as well as those "clock" events or whatever. Just don't want to get too far before realizing I've been making some bad choices.

The battles in Shibyua are like random battles. Time doesnt progress when you play those which is great for leveling up your team, and skill cracking.

Cheska

SpaceBridge said:
The battles in Shibyua are like random battles. Time doesnt progress when you play those which is great for leveling up your team, and skill cracking.

Oh seriously? That's awesome then!

Kazerei

Banned
I finished day 7 and I'm on to day 8.

Just an FYI, new game plus is treated sort of like in Tales games. The titles you earn are worth points, which you spend to unlock new game plus rewards. Below is a list of titles and rewards and their point values.

Titles
?Not sure about these ones, I'm just guessing
Code:
Finish the game once                                 70 P
[spoiler]Prevent Haru's death                                 20 P
Prevent Keisuke's death                              20 P
Prevent Mari's death                                 20 P
Save Gin in battle                                   20 P
Learn of the government's final option               20 P
Protect Tokyo on Yuzu's 8th day                      20 P[/spoiler]
Register all demons except those that are special   100 P
Achieve 100% completion of the Compendium           400 P
Learn all skills that can be cracked                150 P
[spoiler]?Finish the Atsuro route                             60 P
?Finish the Gin route                                60 P
Finish the Yuzu route                                60 P
?Finish the Yuzu route (day 8)                       20 P
?Finish the Naoya route                              60 P
?Finish the Naoya route (day 8)                      20 P
?Finish the Naoya route (day 8)                      20 P
?Finish the Amane route                              60 P
?Finish the Amane route (day 8)                      20 P[/spoiler]
Finish the game with no free battles                200 P
Finish the game without any deaths                  200 P
Defeat a whimsical ghost                             30 P
Defeat an old man who controls time                  60 P
Defeat a soldier of the netherworld                  90 P
Defeat a Marquis of Hell                            120 P
Defeat the fallen star                              200 P

Rewards
Code:
Carry over 1 demon       10 P
Carry over 4 demons      60 P
Carry over 8 demons     180 P
Carry over all demons   300 P
Carry over skills        10 P
Carry over Macca        110 P
Carry over auction       40 P
Remove EXP limit         60 P
10% off Compendium       40 P
30% off Compendium      120 P
50% off Compendium      200 P
Remove fusion LV limit   70 P
Fallen Star             100 P

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh cool, I just got
Keisuke! Can't wait to use his Jack Frost and Pyro Jack in battle! :(

Also, so the Demon Compendium wasn't in the original? Glad I got this one then, because I love the background info on the demons you can read about.

Ricker

Okay,things I might not have understood since this looks like it`s going to turn into a grind fest even on the first day,playing on easy,because the Wendigo battle seems way too early in the game...

Am I suppose to have a 4th team by now for this fight? because I see a 4th team row but it doesn`t seem like I can have them in Battle.

I have extra demons with me that I bought,and I thought when my useless Pixie dies in one hit for example that I could summon my extras to replace but my summon command is greyed out.

Did I just notice that the entire team of the ennemy dissapears from the battle if I kill the leader first?

So far I followed the main story,did 2 free battles only and I don`t even come close to beating the Wendigo fight...more free battles till then? I was hoping this wouldn`t be one of those grinding Atlus games since it`s a mix of SRPG and regulat SMT games but man...

Kazerei

Banned
Ricker said:
Okay,things I might not have understood since this looks like it`s going to turn into a grind fest even on the first day,playing on easy,because the Wendigo battle seems way too early in the game...

Heh, the Wendigo battle is always a wake-up call.

Am I suppose to have a 4th team by now for this fight? because I see a 4th team row but it doesn`t seem like I can have them in Battle.

Nope, you should just have three teams. Each person should have two demons.

I have extra demons with me that I bought,and I thought when my useless Pixie dies in one hit for example that I could summon my extras to replace but my summon command is greyed out.

Well, you can only use one special command per turn. But maybe it's just disabled for now? I can't really remember if that's the case.

Did I just notice that the entire team of the ennemy dissapears from the battle if I kill the leader first?

Yes, but you only get half the macca and EXP from the teammates. But for Wendigo, you'll probably want to defeat the Moh Shuvuus first.

So far I followed the main story,did 2 free battles only and I don`t even come close to beating the Wendigo fight...more free battles till then? I was hoping this wouldn`t be one of those grinding Atlus games since it`s a mix of SRPG and regulat SMT games but man...

If everyone is around levels 7-9, you should be fine. Note that Wendigo is weak to fire, and the Moh Shuvuus are weak to force, and they attack with ice. So hit them with agi and zan, and don't bring anyone weak to ice.

Kind of an obvious piece of advice, but at the start of a battle, check the enemies' strengths and weaknesses and what skills they have. Plan accordingly.

BTW, grinding for EXP is not really an effective way to get stronger in this game. Make sure you keep up with new skills and new demons as they become available, by skill cracking and by demon fusion (you'll unlock it soon).

mjemirzian said:
You don't need to grind if you are skilled and prepared enough. I'm surprised there aren't many reviews cropping up.
I've been grinding a bit, but mostly just because it annoys to have imbalanced teams.

I just got to the third day and
got Keisuke. It's pretty annoying he doesn't come with his Jack Frost and Pyro Jack he just had a few missions ago. I don't have any spare dmeons to give him, so I'm doing some grinding so I fuse him a decent party.

vall03

Kazerei said:
I finished day 7 and I'm on to day 8.

Just an FYI, new game plus is treated sort of like in Tales games. The titles you earn are worth points, which you spend to unlock new game plus rewards. Below is a list of titles and rewards and their point values.]
if it works like Tales games, does that mean it also resets on your next playthrough? I mean for example, you have 400 points on your first playthrough, then on your second playthrough do you get back that 400 again or you only get points for what titles you got on that particular playthrough?

dr3upmushroom said:
I've been grinding a bit, but mostly just because it annoys to have imbalanced teams.

I just got to the third day and
got Keisuke. It's pretty annoying he doesn't come with his Jack Frost and Pyro Jack he just had a few missions ago. I don't have any spare dmeons to give him, so I'm doing some grinding so I fuse him a decent party.
Yeah you have to be very frugal with your funds and chart out fusion paths so you don't end up broke and unable to afford the next latest and greatest set of demons.

Kazerei

Banned
vall03 said:
if it works like Tales games, does that mean it also resets on your next playthrough? I mean for example, you have 400 points on your first playthrough, then on your second playthrough do you get back that 400 again or you only get points for what titles you got on that particular playthrough?

I'm not sure, 'cause I haven't finished the game twice yet. But the titles are permanently obtained, so that should mean the points are permanently obtained too.

Kazerei

Banned
So I just finished Yuzu's day 8, and apparently there is a missable sidequest that earns you a title. Here's the details. Don't worry if the next event is not yet available, because there are a few mandatory story events in between. But try to do the sidequest ASAP, because it is possible to run out of time.

Code:
[spoiler]Place         Action                    Description        

Ikebukuro     Eikokuji                  Talk to the Four Devas and learn about the barrier and Jikoku's sword. Do this ASAP (~10:30).

Nagata-cho    Naoya (BATTLE)            Fight some angels alongside Naoya. He'll give you a key card.  This battle is mandatory by 14:00.

Shinagawa     Shomonkai headquarters    With the key card, you'll be able to enter the HQ and get Jikoku's sword.

Ikebukuro     Eikokuji                  Give the sword to the Devas. But they need someone to replace Jikoku.

Kudanshita    Gin                       Ask Gin about his demon, Take-Mikazuchi, and FOLLOW HIM to the shrine. Do this ASAP (~16:30).

Ikebukuro     Gin (BATTLE)              Defend Gin as he completes the ritual. Then the barrier is complete![/spoiler]

Hey guys, I just unlocked the demon fusion function, but I cant see where the registry is? Id like to register my demons before I fuze them.

SpaceBridge said:
Hey guys, I just unlocked the demon fusion function, but I cant see where the registry is? Id like to register my demons before I fuze them.
You can't register demons until you've unlocked the demon compendium.

totowhoa

Banned
Playing this for the first time. On day one and LOVING it. I wore out SRPGs a long time ago so I was worried... but I love the gameplay. It's a beautiful marriage between two RPG genres.

Kazerei said:
Heh, the Wendigo battle is always a wake-up call.

Boy, you're telling me. Walking along, minding my own business, mopping up a bunch of free battles, and then Wendigo comes along and pretty much whips the piss out of me. :(

They could have done something with the music. It seems to completely vanished during any dialogue sections and is really toned down. Atsuro never gets old hearing.

I seem to have got stuck and ended up just giving up after I got game over from a battle in the very beginning. The story is compelling but I imagine the game requires tons of grinding?

Dedication Through Light said:
They could have done something with the music. It seems to completely vanished during any dialogue sections and is really toned down. Atsuro never gets old hearing.

I seem to have got stuck and ended up just giving up after I got game over from a battle in the very beginning. The story is compelling but I imagine the game requires tons of grinding?

Not...that much grinding. You still need to grind a bit sometimes, but as always with SMT games, fusing good demons and good strategies (this is a SRPG so you need to figure out good ways with dealing with enemies by moving your party) are key.

If you have no patience then don't bother since battles get harder from here on out. But giving up at the very beginning...?

I need to repeat, that the voice acting is top notch. Playing this again for the second time, and the voice work beings the game to life.

so_good.gif

Dedication Through Light said:

Play it on easy if you don't want to grind. Just gives you more xp/money.

bender

What time is it?
Finished day one last night and in the process, completely drained my 3DS battle. I'm starting to wish I started on easy as I'm horrible at strategy games.

A quick question for those in the know: It looks like the only character that earns experience is the one who lands the killing blow. Is my understanding correct? I was using the Yuzu and a demon as healers for my other two characters but she quickly fell four levels behind the rest of the party.

Top Bottom