• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Selaco A brilliant new shooter

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Been playing this for the past few days. Don't let "early access" fool you, this game has more content and more polished than 99.99% of games out there. The devs are basically saying "hold my beer" and will add even more content to this already legend in the making shooter.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
What separates it from other FPS's of the same ilk?

Hmmm

F.E.A.R having a threesome with Half Life and Doom. Nothing "separates" it per say but the baby that came from that makes it one of the best shooters in years imo.
Tactical combat gameplay a lot like FEAR, the downtimes are more like Half Life (puzzles) and map design is more like Doom. Add a sprinkle of PDAs and keycodes of System shock and voilà.
The map design are big, detailed and the secrets and how to access some of them have left me scratching my head for minutes but still made me very much into finding how to get in. Exploration is fun in this shooter.

Enemies are tough as fuck. the invasion tiers where enemies upgrade themselves throughout the game is like "oh shit" moments as they are already badass.

Enemy invasion tier level raised :

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

angry desperate housewives GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tactical combat gameplay a lot like FEAR, the downtimes are more like Half Life (puzzles) and map design is more like Doom. Add a sprinkle of PDAs and keycodes of System shock and voilà.
The map design are big, detailed and the secrets and how to access some of them have left me scratching my head for minutes but still made me very much into finding how to get in. Exploration is fun in this shooter.
Bidding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

They should put your post on the back of the box.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Been playing this for the past few days. Don't let "early access" fool you, this game has more content and more polished than 99.99% of games out there. The devs are basically saying "hold my beer" and will add even more content to this already legend in the making shooter.

Interested in this, thank you for posting it and shows that games don't have to push for hyper realistic visuals to be fun

For example I put a lot of time into Battlebit Remastered and had a blast many a nights

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Not sure if the music is procedural but damn the soundtrack bangs and seems to time itself too well

Oh the OST is an absolute banger yes. We heard some tidbits also in DF video

One of my favorite is the saferoom

Reminds me of Resident evil save room musics. Very calm after all that chaos.

There's a ton of OST tracks missing from youtube as I guess it will be available later, some are way better than what's available so far.

phant0m

Can confirm, game is quite good:

Feels good, sounds good, looks good, runs good

Only played like an hour but so far I prefer it to other recent FEAR-esque games (eg Trepang2). While this doesn't have the slo-mo/bullet time effects and isn't as visually advanced, Selaco brings A LOT more to the table in terms of visual design, soundtrack, and level design.

november GIF

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Games really good. The environments can get a bit samey but the feel of the shooting is amazing and the interactivity has me trying everything I can with the environment.

CamHostage

Not to derail this with a weird tangent, but I wonder if the GZDOOM augmentation is so severe that this can't be ported to Android? Not talking about playing on a phone, but these are the types of games I love playing on my portable Odin or other handheld device. (It isn't Deck Certified but video shows Selaco running just fine on a Steam Deck, so there's that option as well.)

StereoVsn

Not to derail this with a weird tangent, but I wonder if the GZDOOM augmentation is so severe that this can't be ported to Android? Not talking about playing on a phone, but these are the types of games I love playing on my portable Odin or other handheld device. (It isn't Deck Certified but video shows Selaco running just fine on a Steam Deck, so there's that option as well.)
It runs well on SteamDeck so it could probably be ported to Android/iOS for the high end devices. However how big is that market?

simpatico

Listen GAF, if you enjoy gaming in the early 2000s, even if you haven’t found a modern boomer shooter you liked, it’s so worth checking out Selaco. This is firmly in my top 3 games of the year so far. Its just so damn good.

simpatico

The 2D sprites for enemies are not my thing, my first FPS games were Goldeneye and Half-Life
Most gunfights all you can make out through the debris hurricane is the red glow and shape of their visor. You don’t even notice they’re 2D after a while. The uniform visor profile is just about the only thing that makes them findable in the smokey chaos

Top Bottom