• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dick van Dyke episodes to be aired in color on CBS (Sunday Dec 11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-dick-van-dyke-show-colorized-20161207-story.html
drzyxo2.jpg

Several generations of viewers have enjoyed Van Dyke and costar Mary Tyler Moore on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” which 50 years after completing its initial run on CBS is still available on Hulu, Amazon, the nostalgia TV network Cozi and a recently released Blu-ray box set. But on Sunday, viewers will see the Petries’ monochromatic world re-imagined in “The Dick Van Dyke Show — Now In Living Color!” in which CBS debuts two digitally colorized episodes back-to-back.

The original 1961 to 1966 run straddled the years when network TV series production converted to color. Some long-running sitcoms from the era such as “The Andy Griffith Show” and “Bewitched” made the switch after a few seasons on the air in black and white.

But “The Dick Van Dyke Show” creator Carl Reiner said he passed on the chance to film in color after learning it would require an additional $7,000 an episode, a significant cost in an era when a half-hour show cost around $40,000 to produce.

Should be fun!

Makonero

Such a classic. The walnuts episode will always be my favorite.

That one and the one mentioned in the article where Rob is obsessing over whether or not they took the right baby home are my favorites.

The one where they join a fake popular dance craze is the worst.

This show is a classic. Does the blu-ray come with original black and white shows along with the newly revised color ones? I really don't mind watching black and white TV for some reason.

EDIT: Hi-Res Black and White actually looks really really good!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Colorizing black and white stuff is sacrilege.

This. It's better than it used to be but it's still obvious and often off-putting to see. Even in the shot in the OP, Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke have sort of muddy "smeared pancake makeup" looks to their skin tone.

The show is an absolute classic, so whatever it takes to keep it on the air and new audiences watching it, I guess, but colorizing B&W is gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom